• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah maybe they can try to make a new franchise then.

If you're gonna bring back an old franchise and you advertise the cast being back etc... and you do something completely different then what the fuck are you doing ?
The original cast is old as dirt and the original movies largely worked because of the actors in it. Makes zero sense to go for an identical tone of the original movies when there would be zero chance of even coming close.

Going for something different while using the original movies as a springboard is a much better idea. The original movie also had tinges of horror so I like that they're leaning more into that with this.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
This franchise needs to be put into a ghost trap. Of course it's about kids, ugh.

Paul Rudd is the only remotely interesting thing about this trailer. The city of New York feels like a character in these movies; moving it out of there just looks wrong.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Guessing...

Eegon and Janine move to this small town and bring all of the old Ghostbusters equipment and containment with them. Shit goes haywire blah blah blah, old Ghostbusters show up and win. The end.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The original cast is old as dirt and the original movies largely worked because of the actors in it. Makes zero sense to go for an identical tone of the original movies when there would be zero chance of even coming close.

Going for something different while using the original movies as a springboard is a much better idea. The original movie also had tinges of horror so I like that they're leaning more into that with this.

This is not going to be a horror movie with kids.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
How about you read what I said again carefully without those tinted glasses?

GB2016 trailer was a train wreck, GB2016 movie was a train wreck. This trailer at least seems a million times more appealing. I'll judge the movie when I actually see it...

But hey what do I know, GB2016 was actually the best movie ever made and I'm just being sexist.

Neither the first trailer for this movie or the first trailer for GB2016 told us how good the movies would be.

This movie looks nothing like Ghostbusters and if it was a standalone movie it would get zero reaction due to it being a pretty dull trailer.

Personally, I would judge the quality of the movie after seeing the film rather than freaking out BEFORE and AFTER trailer 1 when it's near impossible to tell how good a movie is going to be.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So the feedback I'm gathering so far in this thread is that people actually want to see 70 year olds suit back up and fight ghosts like the good ol days?

We will never get the GB3 we want, that time has passed. And we really have no one to blame but the actors themselves. Sad, but I think it's time we just move on...

That said this trailer felt more like another teaser and I expect the story and the comedy to be a bit more drawn out the more trailers we get. And I'll take the Stranger Things tone over the SNL comedy tone that GB2016 brought to the table. Should be a refreshing take even if it's been done before.

#inreitmanwetrust

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a Super 8 reboot masking as a Ghostbusters movie. I'm not against it, but it's a bit weird

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
For God's sake, is it really that hard to make Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast (aside from Harold Raimis) instead of taking it in a completely different direction?
This might have been already answered but

The original cast couldn't even pull off a Ghostbusters 2 in 1989. That movie was actually awful.

In 2019 Dan Akroyd is an actual crazy person and Bill Murray has completely checked out and mails it all in. You won't get a good movie out of them together.

A new direction might actually help producers make something fresh instead of derivative and excite a new audience about ghostbusters.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is not going to be a horror movie with kids.
Horror-lite or whatever that transitions more into a traditional Ghostbusters movie. Even if it's a redux of Stranger Things, I'm still glad they're trying something new with the franchise than just simply bringing a bunch of old people on screen.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they put stranger things season 4 at the end nobody would notice the difference.

Lets see how this movie turns out.

Im in

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Trailer got my interest. Also, aside from Labor Day, Jason Reitman has been pretty good.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It's a movie that depends on the nostalgia, it's not gonna be seen in positive light if they are pushing a very young kid cast as a new set of ghostbusters. Im sure that's not the plot of the movie but they spent the past months hyping up the return of the old cast yet none are in the trailer, and it looks like very young kids are taking over? Who knows but it seems like an odd way to take the trailer and what to reveal but it's a teaser I imagine. Also the very serious tone is very not ghostbusters. The tone is odd to take, but it's a teaser trailer Im sure

A bit more horror and a bit less comedy would really be ok.

I think the teaser/trailer has it's fair share of nostalgia. Bill Murray, the full equipment from the old movies, Slimer, Terror Dog and all. I mean ... people should expect that if Ghostbusters does come back, it won't be with the old actors as the leads. It's the same with Star Wars, really. ^^

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
...people are complaining there is no nostalgia in this trailer?
Like it shows the suits, it shows the catcher, it literally shows footage from the first movie and treats ecto-1 like a supermodel being undressed by the male gaze. It even shows glimpse of slimer.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

Hell it doesn't look like what I remember about ghostbusters (advertising, salary negotiation, capitalism in the face of life after death) but the only thing missing is the actors =P

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it :) Looks really nice. And way better than the horrendous reboot.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
As huge fan of the Original Ghostbuster film I liked this trailer, more will be revealed in future trailers we have around 7-8 months till release, very excited to more.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I welcome the change that this trailer is insinuating. Times change and glorifying nostalgia with a lot of Stranger Things vibes could help revive the franchise.

It seems like a lot more effort was put into this than the cringefest that was GB2016. The OG Ghostbusters' comedy probably wouldn't work nowdays (for the same reason a new Home Alone wouldn't work or why people find Friends problematic).

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I'm actually ok with Stranger Things meets Ghostbusters. It's a bit on the trendy side, but still has potential for sure.

Grumpy Old Men meets Ghostbusters would have probably made for a better trailer, but I am more excited about little girl Spengler being the hero and Paul Rudd as nostalgic exposition dump guy.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I'm under the assumption that they went out of business due to not having any business since the trailer says there hasnt been a ghost sighting in 30 years. During that time Ray and Egon moved the containment systems out to the barn. With Egon being gone no ones been there to do the upkeep and the systems are now breaking down causing the earthquakes and ghost apperances. Ray was probably doing some upkeep but ultimately Egon made that system and theres probably issues that only Egon could fix.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
So why does it look like the og car and not the car from Ghostbusters 2? Checkmate Reitman.

...or they just got a second ambulance and gave it the paint job, retiring the old one.

Nevermind Reitman.

It seems to kinda retcon GB2, and that rubs me the wrong way. GB2 in many ways I have more fond memories of (Despite 1 being critically better). I'll wait for the reviews. I think it might be a nice film for kids to get into Ghostbusters but as an older millennial - this film just looks bleh (judging only form the first trailer). I feel like an old man shaking my fist at a cloud. I know catering to a new generation is what they should do, just this makes me feel nothing inside, no even nostalgia. It's like reskin mod someone has done for an entirely different film.