• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I didn't find it funny at all so I wouldn't recommend it. Have a friend who thought it was funny. They would recommend it. Each to their own.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Its a solid 5/10. Neither good nor bad, its just there straddling the line of mediocrity.

Oh and my 5 is based on seeing the directors cut.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The only reason this movie is even discussed was because of the culture war surrounding it at the height of the whole "Anti-PC/SJW" era of the internet. The movie itself is pretty mediocre/poor.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
As someone who watched this film twice, has a woman crush on Kristen Wiig, loves some of Paul Feig's films, and went to bat hard for this film due to a lot of the misogyny it got in the months leading up to its release... eh, it's okay. Definitely not as awful as some people were certain it would be, but not nearly as funny or as good as I was hoping for. People's love for Kate McKinnon's character continues to confuse me to this day. The only not-annoying character among them was Leslie Jones's.

I thought it was fine. Definitely felt nothing like og Ghostbusters. Terrible villain.

Jones was the MVP for me.

My man.

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
this is like the current trend of trying to rebrand Showgirls as a misunderstood classic
still a bad movie.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the Extended Cut and it wasn't funny. Every character is a cartoon and very few of the jokes land.

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it. Not a fantastic movie by any stretch, but it had a ton of good stuff and some really weak. The characters were great and I think with another movie they could have had something.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
As someone who watched this film twice, has a woman crush on Kristen Wiig, loves some of Paul Feig's films, and went to bat hard for this film due to a lot of the misogyny it got in the months leading up to its release... eh, it's okay. Definitely not as awful as some people were certain it would be, but not nearly as funny or as good as I was hoping for. People's love for Kate McKinnon's character continues to confuse me to this day. The only not-annoying character among them was Leslie Jones's.

My man.
McKinnon needed to bring her performance down a bit. Wiig and McCarthy were too similar.
Trailers were way misleading because Jones looked like the over the top person of the bunch.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
The wacky schlocky slapstick just did nothing for me, as much as I like the cast. Ghostbusters needs to be dry and played mostly straight IMO. But even taking the comparison with the OG away, it still fails for me as the jokes just felt soooo forced and desperate.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pretty sure we're still at that height
Nah, 2015-2017 was the absolute peak of that garbage (the "TRIGGERED" jokes, attack helicopter memes, "autistic screeching" pics, etc), culminating with Trump's election. Sure you still get that sort of stuff nowadays, but it feel as if its definitely not as popular/widespread as it was before.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
McKinnon needed to bring her performance down a bit. Wiig and McCarthy were too similar.
Trailers were way misleading because Jones looked like the over the top person of the bunch.

It was this really weird film where Wiig felt BORED 90% of the time, McCarthy wasn't being utilized well at all, McKinnon didn't know when to stop and Jones was the one character who actually felt interesting, yet also the one who got the least focus.

I have to wonder if it's because Patty is the character who delivered exposition the most so her lines COULDN'T be improv, whereas the other three just kinda did bits the whole time.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, 2015-2017 was the absolute peak of that garbage (the "TRIGGERED" jokes, attack helicopter memes, "autistic screeching" pics, etc), culminating with Trump's election. Sure you still get that sort of stuff nowadays, but it feel as if its definitely not as popular/widespread as it was before.
Eh I'll disagree...

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that they tried to make a summer blockbuster out of Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters was about four people, not in the best shape, who lugged around heavy equipment that was difficult to actually use. The concept really doesn't lend itself well to the concept of an action movie.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never got the sense of teamwork with the characters, or even that they're friends, and surprisingly a lot of mean-spirited (heh) stuff happening between them which ruined chemistry. I loved the visuals, going more cartoony is pretty good for me, hell I'm good on them going slapstick even, and loved all the cool new gadgets, but when the most memorable character is your assistant/villain (spoilers) and not landing jokes on the main characters, I think you focused on the wrong things as a writer and director.

Apparently the theatrical version of G2016 was cut to hell, and the video maker says that version is average, so shares the same opinion as me (also thinks G2 is underrated).

The longer version is better, but it still doesn't land the jokes it's trying so hard to land. It does have a better third act, for me at least (I love me some dance routines).

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The basic problem with G2016 is that it feels too much like a Paul Feig film and very little like a Ghostbusters film, and that's a big problem because the vibe the og ghostbusters films had was a big part of their charm to me. Also the music and villain super suck. Not a bad film, but pretty average. McKinnon was good in it.

That's pretty much how I feel. McKinnon was great.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The longer version is better, but it still doesn't land the jokes it's trying so hard to land. It does have a better third act, for me at least (I love me some dance routines).

Yeah, I was sceptical if it could really be saved with 16 extra minutes

the thing that really stings is that the first five minutes really do feel ghostbusterish, with the ghost in that house/museum basement. but then feig discards the vibe and never returns to it

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I will take this opportunity to drop this here, the story about the actor who played Vigo the Carpathian. What a fucking ride this is. (also DAMN do I miss Deadspin)

deadspin.com

The Hateful Life And Spiteful Death Of The Man Who Was Vigo The Carpathian

You’ve seen a painting of Norbert Grupe. A heavy, creased brow and shoulder-length hair framing a frightening scowl, the massive work hung in the fictional Manhattan Museum of Art in Ghostbusters II. When the medieval sorcerer pictured within the painting begins to physically manifest, it is on...

Most people will only ever know Norbert Grupe as Vigo the Carpathian. But Norbert Grupe—a Nazi soldier's son, boxer, professional wrestler, failed actor, criminal, and miserable human being who was never so happy as when he could make someone hate him—was once a man so beautiful that other men wanted to paint him.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that they tried to make a summer blockbuster out of Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters was about four people, not in the best shape, who lugged around heavy equipment that was difficult to actually use. The concept really doesn't lend itself well to the concept of an action movie.
You can say that about endless movies of the past that get rebooted/remade/whatever. They were lightning in a bottle and worked specifcially for very specific reasons.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was sceptical if it could really be saved with 16 extra minutes

Jeez I didn't realize it was that much longer, the movie already felt long. I only remember the changes towards the end which were a nice addition, and I think an extra scene with McKinnon, but that's only 4/5 min max. Honestly don't remember the other stuff added.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Leslie Jones is also fantastic in this movie as well.

I also watch this clip all the time.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nah it was way too long and way too reliant on improv comedy with atrocious CGI and cringe product placement (the Pringles!). Nobody needed a Ghostbusters movie to have a $150 million budget. Chris Hemsworth was pretty funny though.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, it was pretty rubbish.

It's not just an unfunny film it's a badly constructed film. Hastily made and obviously so. I feel the above video is fair in its review and critiques.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Really hard movie to watch, every joke fell so flat that the only emotion it could bring out of me is second hand embarrassment.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I didn't like the film at all.

The pre-release misogyny was annoying, and I pretty much ignored all of it. Don't think I even watched a trailer.

Watched the film at home and I actually liked it less than I thought I would. Much less of a film than Bridesmaids, which I liked a lot.

I found a lot of the jokes were dumb, and a lot of the actors weren't as funny as in other work they've done.

Chris Helmsworth's character really kind of ruined things for me. I'm all for the idea of having a hot dumb male secretary for them to ogle, but his character was so over-the-top stupid that it made his scenes feel like they were being performed by an improv troupe and made it hard to buy into the film as a whole.

I feel like this same cast and director could have made a great GB movie, but they just didn't

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Leslie Jones is the only one delivering a good performance, with a character that feels real and consistent.

The rest feel like a college improv troupe who were given a too-complicated scenario. "So, we're...college professors who...fight...ghosts! Yeah, ok, let's riff on that for 120 minutes!"

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing I saw in that video makes me want to watch an extended cut of this thing. It's non-stop improv comedy with jokes that don't land, bad characters (Leslie Jones was the only one that seemed to be good out of the four ladies), rehashing the same story from the original, and no chemistry between the leads. If it didn't feel the need to rapid-fire unfunny jokes out every minute, it might have ended up being pretty decent.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Super fun, more of a spiritual successor to the cartoon, I had a giant blast, Feig is an idiot for spending 150 million on it.

Anyone who calls it the worst movie ever or anything close to it has seen 5 movies in their life.

Also The Last Jedi was the best Star Wars movie ever
Preach

The 2016 Ghostbusters movie is a movie I find myself enjoying more the more times I watch it.

By the third time I had watched it I was really disappointed that there will never be a sequel because I actually like these characters. I personally think Kevin was played a little too dumb but I think that was because I wanted more of a Jeanine like character.

But then even looking back on that a snarky sarcastic man acting like she did to the women would probably be problematic.

There are definitely some pacing issues and some of the jokes go a little too long but overall I really do enjoy it.

If you want more of the 2016 Ghostbusters check out the comic books because they are awesome in that.

Oct 27, 2017
https://youtu.be/gcXszrAs5ik

This is probably the best critique/analysis I have seen on why the film doesn't work. I think he may have had another part up but he had to take it down.

Sadly it just wasn't very good, which is a shame because it validated the preconceptions of thousands of shitlords online. I don't think it's a bad film but it is aggressively mediocre and most of the jokes don't land. It's a huge shame because I think it's much worse than other Paul Feig films too. The talent was there but for some reason it just didn't come together.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's fine but forgettable. I just don't see Ghostbusters as a franchise, it's like men in black in that way. I much prefered spy

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Found it amazingly boring. None of the jokes really landed for me and the way the plot developed wasn't particularly interesting to me either.

I'd like to see them give it another go (same cast) but with a different take on it. Different script, different director, etc. I feel like the potential is very much there to actually make something good in the end.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The movie was so bad that it made me hate Kate McKinnon. I eventually got over it and we're cool again. Can't really react to the actual topic because there's no way i can subject myself to watching the movie again.

Wasn't there another Ghostbusters movie after it? I must have missed it.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic cast, good director, terrible film. I absolutely loathed this movie, even though I have no reverence for the originals.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Even with the extended cut adding some much-needed cohesion to the editing, there are still just so many things that I don't get why they were there at all.

Extended jokes about wantons, this storyline about the mayor's office trying to cover things up (which feels just like an excuse so someone says "mass hysteria"), the improv Hemsworth jokes that don't really go anywhere...

Like so much of the comedy in this is just bad. Not that there aren't good jokes. Hemsworth covering his eyes when they tell him not to listen. Wiig joyously shouting into the camera that ghosts are real, only to cut to an awkward disciplinary meeting of her getting fired. Leslie Jones walking into a room of mannequins, and just calmly going "this is a room of nightmares" and walking out. Like that stuff was genuinely great and came from some genuine character.

But then during Hemsworth's interview, he shows his logo designs and... one is the 7-Eleven logo? What is the joke there? That he stole the logo off the web, like a slacker or something, and didn't think it was going to get noticed? Or that somehow he recreated the 7-Eleven logo like some '1000 monkeys at 1000 typewriters' situation? And then the Mike Hat bit, and then the punchline of it all is "it's fine, he lives with my mum anyway." So why bring it up at all?! Is the joke that he thinks he is so clever that he gives his dog this annoying name, or is he too dumb to notice?

Why was Bill Murray there? I mean I'm not against cameos, and him appearing on the news being like "Pfft, these ladies are full of shit," is a fun excuse to include him... but then he becomes a character. They pull him in, and I get they wanted a scene where Wiig desperately wants to be taken seriously, but they couldn't have done that with the press or something? Or the mayor, or anything less distracting?

Then with the mayor thing, they try reframing the team as government agents or something? Like some secret division? I get that the original Ghostbusters has a weird Reagan-era twinge, so reframing them as some kind of superheroes makes sense. But this movie begins with them trying to start a business, anyway. Like, the joke was always about schluby blue collar exterminators, except it's the undead.

And this is a rule with me, but no movie has ever done the "we inadvertently run out onto a concert stage and dive into a crowdsurf" thing and come out looking better for it. It's never been done and not come out looking lame.

But there are parts and character beats that genuinely work. The villain being an angry reddit trill, Leslie Jones' joke delivery, Wiig's plight for validation, some of the Kevin stuff... But there's just so much stupid shit too that doesn't work. The movie is messy, and that's about it. It didn't need to warrant so much conversation over a lotta fucking nothing.