• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I can't remember which Youtube channel said it, but they said it was weird that they kept insisting that it was not connected to the original films but packed the entire thing with references to the original films.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The basic problem with G2016 is that it feels too much like a Paul Feig film and very little like a Ghostbusters film, and that's a big problem because the vibe the og ghostbusters films had was a big part of their charm to me. Also the music and villain super suck. Not a bad film, but pretty average. McKinnon was good in it.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I thought it was fine for what it was, especially the 3D theater experience. It felt like there was a lot of last minute cuts and maybe even a budget reduction. I would have loved to see the film without Sony's meddling.

But unfortunately the sheer amount misogyny surrounding the film means that you can even say "Hey that wasn't so bad." without being shat on immensely.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the movie a lot in the theaters. Definitely enjoyed it more that GB2, and I saw that with GB2 being a massive guilty pleasure. But I acknowledge how phoned in that movie was overall.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
It wasn't terrible. It just wasn't the type of film that would benefit in any way, shape or form from Feig's improvisational style. Kate McKinnon almost single-handedly makes it watchable for me.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I found the movie ok and enjoyed it for the most part. There just was a few scenes I could have done without (namely the slow mo beating up ghost near the end).

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Can't say I agree, The jokes really didn't land for me and I hated the way the ghost looked

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I think a few more pussy fart jokes would have made it a 10/10

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It wasn't terrible. It just wasn't the type of film that would benefit in any way, shape or form from Feig's improvisational style. Kate McKinnon almost single-handedly makes it watchable for me.
This is how I feel about it, actually. It's not a bad movie, but it's not really a good one either. In all honestly, I think it was just very forgettable.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fine for what it was, especially the 3D theater experience. It felt like there was a lot of last minute cuts and maybe even a budget reduction. I would have loved to see the film without Sony's meddling.

But unfortunately the sheer amount misogyny surrounding the film means that you can even say "Hey that wasn't so bad." without being shat on immensely.
Yeah, for REAL.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I think the big hypocrisy for me was when Ghostbusters "fans" in the same breath would trash this film and then go on to praise Ghostbusters 2, as if their bias wasn't painfully obvious.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still interested in seeing what the response to Ghostbusters Aftermath would be. Further wonder what happens if Aftermath turns out bad.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I think the big hypocrisy for me was when Ghostbusters "fans" in the same breath would trash this film and then go on to praise Ghostbusters 2, as if their bias wasn't painfully obvious.

This is garbage, G2 is a great film. Its only weakness is that it cribs too much of the basic structure from 1. In all other respects it is better than 1. Vigo is a better villain, the Scoleri Brothers scene is the best scene in both films and Janosz is THE BEST

given a choice I'd watch 2 over 1

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Reached the part where he admitted "if you didn't think the jokes were good then you'll hate this movie" and stopped watching, because that's all that needs to be said really. The story was obviously butchered in the theatrical cut but the main problem was always that it was stuffed with horrible unfunny ad-libbing in every scene. An extended cut where things make a little more sense won't fix the fact that maybe 1% of the jokes actually land in a film that's supposed to be a comedy.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't hate it on release. But nor did I love it. A perfectly serviceable summer film.

Kate McKinnon saved it for me.

tokenflipguy

May 15, 2018
The basic problem with G2016 is that it feels too much like a Paul Feig film and very little like a Ghostbusters film, and that's a big problem because the vibe the og ghostbusters films had was a big part of their charm to me. Also the music and villain super suck. Not a bad film, but pretty average. McKinnon was good in it.
Took the words out of my mouth.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to like it so much but just couldn't. And was really hoping we'd get an improved sequel following up on the bit after the credits, maybe without Feig (whose movies I liked up until this) involved, but alas. The cast alone should have made this great but the writing just wasn't there for them.

And Rowan sucked as a villain. Gozer and Vigo are barely characters but they're much better and more memorable than Rowan.

I will say, I saw many hated the ghost effect designs but I loved the way they looked. The big fight in times square or wherever looked great.

It's not bad or good enough to warrant the amount of attention it got.

Yes, I think ultimately this is the best take on it.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I still dislike the humour in this one. And it's just blah, it's the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull of Ghostbusters films. I'm happy that it brings joy to some though. I'll just stick with the original Trilogy and maybe the new one which shows some promise.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Kevin was pretty funny. And the final few minutes of the climactic battle were pretty great to me. That's about all I remember as a self-proclaimed huge Ghostbusters fan.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its dull and the only reason it still gets talked about is because it became a culture war thing

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Super fun, more of a spiritual successor to the cartoon, I had a giant blast, Feig is an idiot for spending 150 million on it.

Anyone who calls it the worst movie ever or anything close to it has seen 5 movies in their life.

Also The Last Jedi was the best Star Wars movie ever

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I thought ad libbing made it painfully unfunny, none of the characters were remotely likable, and it had no idea how to tell a coherent story. Pretty much the opposite of the original Ghostbusters in every way.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it in theatres and I really wanted to give it a chance, but there's just too much drawn-out improv and not enough actual clever writing. I feel bad for the original screenwriter since it was really clear Feig just had fun watching the actresses make shit up and then edited something together based on the bits he personally found the funniest.

Leslie Jones was easily the star of the show. If we could've had more of Patty being weirdly clued-in to the historical weirdness buried under NYC it would've been a way better film.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
images

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't aware there is an extended cut. But somehow I don't believe that fixes the humor.

The video generally seems to run on the defense that "it's for children!" which I will never accept as a viable argument for a shoddy product.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
It's not very funny, so it basically fails as a comedy. The video OP posted argues the movie is more for kids so it's not surprising adults wouldn't find it funny, but I think that's a weak excuse. This scene also straight up feels like a videogame, which is something I hate in movies:

Like the mini-boss surrounds the ghostbusters in a smokey arena and then spawns a horde of Lv1 minions to fight them. And instead of trapping the ghosts, the lasers just kill them now?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I just started watching the video.

Apparently the theatrical version of G2016 was cut to hell, and the video maker says that version is average, so shares the same opinion as me (also thinks G2 is underrated).

So he may be onto something, video should actually be watched before commenting lol. Have never seen this uncut version myself, but I don't see how it'd make it feel less like a Feig movie in the extra 16mins tbh, so...

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Super fun, more of a spiritual successor to the cartoon, I had a giant blast, Feig is an idiot for spending 150 million on it.

Anyone who calls it the worst movie ever or anything close to it has seen 5 movies in their life.

Also The Last Jedi was the best Star Wars movie ever
Same I had fun with it too and found it funny.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Thor was absolutely terrible in that movie. I don't know if it was the script or his take on the role, but his brain dead Homer Simpson cartoon character tanked the movie for me.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
A movie where everyone was the comic relief, the jokes were all the result of bad ad lib, and the cast just didn't have any chemistry together.

It wasn't the worst thing ever - it just exists on the same plane as a bunch of other mediocre schlock that comes out every year. If it hadn't been turned into a flashpoint in the culture war (something Sony very much embraced and fanned the flames of for business reasons), it would've come and gone like a fart on the wind.

Trying to be a reboot of what is/was a perfect comedy movie didn't help things either.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Basically all of this.

The best thing to come out of Ghostbusters 2016 was Chris Hemsworth's comedy chops, and it unfortunately says something when the best thing to come out of an all-girl reboot is the dude sidekick.