• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just gamers in this case, I feel. It's a super-duper misunderstood word in all sectors of entertainment. I see people use it with "cancelled" in an interchangeable fashion alllll the time with TV and film stuff. :x

I think people are just stupid and know if they go for the more understandable and more impactful word and push it's fake definition enough it just works in this day and age for other stupid people.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it, Ubi is big enough and it would look bad if they did cancel it. Plus the Ghost Recon name, they are trying to build that up.
My guess is that it'll come out but when it doesn't make the splash they want it'll very quietly be discontinued or shut down. Allows them to take the L without the level of attention an outright cancellation would get.

This is what happened with Ghost Recon Phantoms which was Ubi's last attempt at a F2P, multiplayer-only Ghost Recon - it didn't get the attention Ubi hoped and they basically quietly shut it down when no one was looking. Seems likely they're doing the same thing with Hyper Scape too - that game hasn't had a notable update since March so I expect they'll shut it down around the time people are focused on a big release like Rainbow Six Extraction or something.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for the devs. Im sure they want to make a great game. But this just shows how tone deaf Ubi is.

Since Breakpoints disastrous launch, we have been feeding them info through Delta Company how to fix it and what makes a GR game. This is announced and it is like everything we told em was just binned. Like they learned nothing. And the latest Breakpoint announcement was a couple second snippet reusing assets from Wildlands.

Ubi are trying so hard to find a 'billion dollar baby' like an Apex, theyre flooding the market with MP shooters hoping one sticks. They have so many goddamn MP shooters coming out or are out, i cant even keep up anymore.

From an old school GR vet, wtf are you doing Ubi?

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Should just make it a Battlefield competitor it severely needs one since Battlefield aint really even Battlefield anymore so there is a nice hole to fill there.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
Feels like Ubisoft is just stabbing in the dark between this, Hyper Scape, and the rumored Far Cry battle royale. They're throwing darts at a board at this point seemingly trying to hit on the next 'big thing' in the shooter space.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Was this the Call of Ubi or Ghost Recon Fortnite? Or were those both the same game? I can't even keep up with all the derivitives. Did they complete their acquisition of Mad-Libs yet?

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Being someone who actually enjoys Tom Clancy's titles: "And nothing of value was lost"

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Damn look at the dislike ratio lmao. The trailer is utter trash though. People are super angry in the comments.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I have a feeling it's just delayed till they have another, proper ghost recon to show of to wash out the bad taste out of everyone's mouths and keep fans happy whilst they push ahead with the br for everyone else.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling it's just delayed till they have another, proper ghost recon to show of to wash out the bad taste out of everyone's mouths and keep fans happy whilst they push ahead with the br for everyone else.

Most likely the case yes. Its kinda all similar to how when Blizz announced the mobile Diablo game instead of telling the crowd there is a new Diablo in the works when they were thirsty for new Diablo news.

The company making Frontline is different than the company that makes the mainline titles now. So i imagine once the heat has cooled off and we see a proper new GR game, this could pop up again.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
If they wanted to do a battle royale, the best way to go about it would be to launch it with another proper sequel or soon after.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Most likely the case yes. Its kinda all similar to how when Blizz announced the mobile Diablo game instead of telling the crowd there is a new Diablo in the works when they were thirsty for new Diablo news.

The company making Frontline is different than the company that makes the mainline titles now. So i imagine once the heat has cooled off and we see a proper new GR game, this could pop up again.
Ya exactly the scenario I was thinking about (diablo), where the following blizzcon after immortal was announced, they showed off 4, whilst between both shows they didn't really talk about it much if at all from what I remember.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
It's not just gamers in this case, I feel. It's a super-duper misunderstood word in all sectors of entertainment. I see people use it with "cancelled" in an interchangeable fashion alllll the time with TV and film stuff. :x
Tbf, in such a perception-sensitive industry, indefinite is the common euphemism to "cancelled or suspended".

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I think the trailer looked bad, but I don't really get the big complaints of "it's not Ghost Recon!" when the Ghost Recon franchise lost the plot 14 years ago.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I wonder if it is just the reaction or something went wrong development wise. Then again they seemed pretty confident with the announcement and when the test would happen…

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Whats next? A splinter Cell BR?
Imagine 6 people dropped in a office complex and the job is to assassinate each other. Using vents, elevator shafts etc to move around. And gadgets to get the drop on each other. Someone is in the elevator, hack it and make it crash.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine 6 people dropped in a office complex and the job is to assassinate each other. Using vents, elevator shafts etc to move around. And gadgets to get the drop on each other. Someone is in the elevator, hack it and make it crash.

Imagine actually making and releasing Spy vs. Merc mode as stand alone MP game.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
This looked painfully average and it didn't help that it had 90% dislikes on YouTube

Oct 25, 2017
Oh look, I think Skull and Bones just made a new friend...
Nah, Skull and Bones basically was a disaster from the concept up.(no boarding/on foot fighting? WTF?)

This can be salvaged,

1. Change to 3rd person like GRAW 1, 2, Future Soldier, Wildlands and Breakpoint
2. maybe incorporate those class skills directly over
3. maybe carry over Wildlands/Breakpoint's MTX and cosmetics

probably won't be that big but
1. Avoids some direct Warzone competition
2. Appeals to at least the recent Ghost Recon community as well as outside BR fans,
its free so it honestly would support Wildlands/Breakpoint

Maybe do it like Warzone where cosmetics and such in Frontline transfer back into Breakpoint for example,

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Ghost Recon loved the combat in Wildlands, whether it's the drug cartels, discovering areas to me Frontlines is acceptable as a mode not an entire game.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
btw what happened to Xdefiant?
Yeah they did that closed beta and it just disappeared.

The beta wasn't that great though so maybe they're going back to the drawing board or maybe even shelving the idea. I think Ubi is finally realizing the whole "throw shit at the wall until something sticks" approach isn't working for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost Recon loved the combat in Wildlands, whether it's the drug cartels, discovering areas to me Frontlines is acceptable as a mode not an entire game.
Its honestly what it should be,
the Warzone to Wildlands/Breakpoint's Modern Warfare and Cold War.

Tie their systems together and give it the same gameplay mechanics.
They hyped up international operators for example which Wildlands/Breakpoint don't have, if we earn or buy them in Frontline let us have them in Breakpoint.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Ubi are trying so hard to find a 'billion dollar baby' like an Apex, theyre flooding the market with MP shooters hoping one sticks. They have so many goddamn MP shooters coming out or are out, i cant even keep up anymore.

From an old school GR vet, wtf are you doing Ubi?

Exactly this.

Which is weird because they kind of have that with Rainbow Six Siege. Obviously not as popular as Apex but they already found a live service FPS game. I guess they want a more "casual" MP game which is what XDefiant and Frontline are? But they're forgetting what made R6 so unique and popular in the first place

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I honestly feel bad for the developers. Can't imagine something that I'd worked on full time for the past 2(3?) years being revealed and universally slammed.

Not saying we should praise the game, just the excitement of the studio last Monday to the complete loss of morale this Monday would be dreadful.