• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic is dumping millions keeping Ubisoft games away from Steam while Ubisoft themselves see growth with Uplay and are laughing all the way to the bank.

I doubt they're paying anything. Division 2 worked out great for Ubisoft. I'm sure they are happy to shed Steam completely for everything going forward.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
It seems most people forget but Ubisoft offers a 20% discount voucher for 100 uPlay points which works on preorders (and even stacks on the 8% discount on the over priced Ultimate edition). That 20% is probably more than what you'd get from GMG and the likes.

Not for me at least.
7v0b9bE.png

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's not really very into PC gaming these days, why exactly is there such a resistance to this among some? Why can't or won't PC gamers just use the Epic or Ubi store? And surely gamers would want devs or publishers to actually make more money from game sales as oppose to more profits going to the store? It's not like you're having to buy extra hardware as a result of this exclusivity.
I think it comes down to paying the same price for less functionality.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It does but its a steam tied version. I have the division on Uplay and Steam (accidentally redeemed it from humble monthly lol) and it has 2 different listings in my uplay account now.
Super annyoing.
Oh, weird. I guess it's set up like that so they aren't bypassing Steam for DLC sales.

You don't need to buy a game from Steam to use BPM and Steam input.
No, but you don't have to set that up manually for games purchased on Steam, and you get access to the community profiles.

I'm glad I still have a console and never fully converted to PC. So much easier getting games these days.
Yeah, it's great that Sony have now removed the sale of game keys and only allow you to purchase PSN credit from other retailers now.
It's so convenient only having the option of buying games from a single source, at the price they set, without having to deal with all those other stores trying to get your money by offering discounts and other deals.
Nintendo sell download codes for games, but they cost more than physical copies do - even at MSRP - and are never discounted.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Yeah, i was going to skip this game anyway, it is not my cup of tea.
However, i find this Ubi-Egs partnership not to my liking since i consider the EGS as an inferior gaming environment and i dislike the way the Epic management behaves and does business since i find them offensive and not to the benefit of the PC consumer.

And as i see their relation bonding over time the more they drive me away from purchasing their products. I know that it will not make difference at all but i do not want to be associated with terrible people and i try to not have any monetary relation to the entities that do choose to walk beside them.

And it is not a Steam thing, i usually prefer to buy from GoG than Steam, it is the effing principle of not liking dick behaviour.

I am saddened to see Ubi doing so may good things lately only to come to be partners with bullies.

Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As someone who's not really very into PC gaming these days, why exactly is there such a resistance to this among some? Why can't or won't PC gamers just use the Epic or Ubi store? And surely gamers would want devs or publishers to actually make more money from game sales as oppose to more profits going to the store? It's not like you're having to buy extra hardware as a result of this exclusivity.
Because currently EGS actually isn't competition but a full blown closed garden store that is over priced and a monopoly of itself. Which is hugely ironic by the way, because Tim Sweeney has been so hard against Steam that Valve is making a monopoly yet is employing actual monopoly capitalist tactics. There is also no real benefit to using EGS over Steam due to the large amount of accessibility options that Epic have yet to implement.

We also have a case of a better cut for devs/publishers but an actual worse price for consumers. Games on EGS for Australian gamers has gone up by at least $10 sometimes even $15 compared to Steam releases of that exact game. This has caused titles to cost up to $100 with no means of shopping around other storefront. It's why Uplay is actually better due to their 20% discount code they offer.

On top of this Epic currently having no intention of changing their curation services which are very locked down despite a narrative that they are for indie developers. Discovery is terrible, curation is hand picked and it's at a point where the store can't even update games properly due to the manual system they run.

All in all, EGS is actually worse for both consumer and developer due to toxic practices that taint your product and leave the customer in a ditch paying more. The actual solution and best practice for EGS would have been to compete on their own curation methods without exclusivity and their 12/88 cut. However Sweeney knew he couldn't do that because it wasn't as big of a splash as what is currently happening and Fortnite is printing them money to do so.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
No. They sent out emails saying it was an error and is still being supported in EU.
Oops we accidently wrote an email about a very specific change occurring on a specific date that isn't actually happening after all whatsoever. Seems odd - feels like a change is in the works here.

I believe the US and Canada already have this 'change' active so it's business as usual on those stores.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Real talk here though, Ubisoft wanted to do this anyways so now they have a scapegoat. Fair enough I say, I don't hate uplay and would rather use it then epic. However, I'm gonna skip this anyways, I don't like the fact that you need to be online at all times even with single player and before people give me the "don't you have internet?" line, which so fucking ironic considering how resetera reacted to similar controversies, let me explain.

My main worry is that once they cut off servers then it will be unplayable in the future. "But hero, they would simply release a patch that severs the need to play online in single player at the end of the games lifespan." HAHA, whose to say that they will? It's also equally as possible that they could do no such thing thus making it unplayable.

"Nah, that won't happen for years" well not happening for years doesn't equate to not happening at all. what if someone finds this game and wants to play it in a decade from now? It's happened, hell I've played the armored core series last year and that's a ps2 game.

'Won't matter as it will simply be delisted when that happens"- that's a good thing how? It still means that people who paid for a copy won't be able to play it. This also goes into game preservation which is something that is in danger with practices like these and don't get me started with the possible streaming only future.

In short, I don't like it when a developer/publisher tells me I can't play a single player game that i own anymore cause of asinine Corporate bullshit.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It seems most people forget but Ubisoft offers a 20% discount voucher for 100 uPlay points which works on preorders (and even stacks on the 8% discount on the over priced Ultimate edition). That 20% is probably more than what you'd get from GMG and the likes.
This option isn't available in the USA anymore. :/. Coupon only eligible now after a release has been out for 90 days.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They openly admit that their plan with this is to push people to buy the game on uPlay directly - where they get a 100% cut - because they know people don't like EGS. And hey, they still get a better cut than Steam purchases for those that do choose to use Epic's anemic launcher. I still don't like EGS for a multitude of reasons, but can't fault Ubi here for playing 4D chess.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'd purchase it on Steam because it'd be tied to my account of hundreds of games. Also, I could have probably purchased it on any number of authorized key resellers that may have offered me a better deal. It also would have allowed me to gift it to a friend to play with me, an issue I ran into with Division 2.

Now, why would I give Epic 12% of the purchase when I could give Ubisoft 100%? Even uPlay is more featured than EGS.

My Steam account has 400+ games but I still buy Ubi games on EGS and Uplay for convenience. I buy on EGS to build the library and I'm not losing anything. It's still as convenient as buying games directly from Uplay. I don't have to run EGS every time I want to play the game or make an in-game purchase. Unlike Steam which forces me to start the game through it and go through it for every in-game purchase.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You don't really need the game to be a steam game to use it in Steam Big Picture Mode. I play Ubisoft games that I don't have on steam using it (some games need BPM to get the Steam Controller working right, it's random, some days/patches it doesn't, then suddenly it does, maybe exit beta or enter Steam beta to get it to work as well. This is for all games though, Steam or non Steam games. Darn Steam Input fluctuation). I have a ton of Dragon Age Inquisition time in BPM when it required it to work as well. EGS games even work in BPM.

I even have Guild Wars 2 going in Big Picture mode to play from Steam by streaming. It's a considerable setup but it definitely works.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
This is less "Ubisoft is no longer selling games on Steam" and more "Ubisoft found a way to get paid a sack of cash, and also funnel people to their own store front at the same time to get 100% of the cut."

Ubisoft is more interested in EGS because of trucks full of money EGS paid Ubi, and less the 12%.

Someone for EGS already said 12% isnt sustainable and Valve has shown the data to prove why 12% isn't actually sustainable. Will be interesting to see how long EGS keeps up the 12% cut. Figure for at least a year since they do have oodles and oodles of Fortnite money.

Also I think Div 2 and Anno are 1 yr exclusive, so will be interesting to see if all Ubi games are going to be 1 yr exclusive, maybe 6 months like BL3, or maybe longer/forever

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes but it then has to re download the game because Uplay has no integration to EGS to see what files are downloaded.
...really? Wow. I was under the impression that Uplay copied the files, not re-download the game from scratch. Epic really should fix that ASAP, that's unacceptable.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
This is less "Ubisoft is no longer selling games on Steam" and more "Ubisoft found a way to get paid a sack of cash, and also funnel people to their own store front at the same time to get 100% of the cut."

Ubisoft is more interested in EGS because of trucks full of money EGS paid Ubi, and less the 12%.

Indeed. Gotta respect the hustle.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I even have Guild Wars 2 going in Big Picture mode to play from Steam by streaming. It's a considerable setup but it definitely works.
Yeah I did GW2 with Steam Input as well. Guild Wars 2 feels so right with a controller, FFXIV as well (also used Steam Input for this with the non Steam version of FFXIV). Before Steam Input I used Xpadder with Guild Wars 2.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Ill just use UPlay like I did for Division 2.
This epic store is the best thing ever for ubi. Their store used to get a lot of hate. Now people focus that on Epic and are happier to purchase off Ubi directly.

So a bigger cut from epic + extra money for exclusivity and the entire cut from their uPlay site.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This is the least surprising news ever. Epic needs to get their money's worth and Ubisoft said before that The Division 2 was just the start.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Horrible decision and anyone can come at me with anything percentage related and what not.

Ubisoft is filthy rich and this is not benefiting anyone and it's only going to make it much tougher for consumers to delve in their games.

Epic Store as it is right now is literally trash and even Epic acknowledges this at some points and can I ask why some developers even indie are in all this? Does every developer out there really have faith in Epic when all they've come up with is really Fortnite and Gears of War? (Yes, I'm aware of Unreal 4) They literally launched their Storefront in December of 2018 and suddenly everyone wants to tag along with them because of percentage cuts? This ain't Groupon.

But honestly though... if I'd stand by anyone it would be GOG and when has any major developer even acknowledge them as a Storefront? About as many times as I can say practically never.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I eagerly await the self-congratulatory statements, mainly from Epic, saying how pre-orders for this sequel are better than pre-orders for the first game.

... The first game being a drastically new direction for the Ghost Recon franchise that scared many consumers away from purchasing it for a very long while. And a game that launched with more than its fair share of issues, but I digress.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I eagerly await the self-congratulatory statements, mainly from Epic, saying how pre-orders for this sequel are better than pre-orders for the first game.

... The first game being a drastically new direction for the Ghost Recon franchise that scared many consumers away from purchasing it for a very long while. And a game that launched with more than its fair share of issues, but I digress.

Wildlands was one of the best selling games in 2017 and had a strong launch. Held the #1 spot until the big fall juggernauts came out. Let's not pretend that the game "scared many consumers away". If Breakpoint manages to outsell it, it will be an achievements.