• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Per GamesIndustry.biz and PCGamesN

Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint-5.jpg
I don't recall seeing a thread on this, but I think it's worth making as this alongside Anno seem to be the next step of the Ubisoft and Epic Games partnership that they announced a few months ago. This seems to be working out well for Ubisoft going by the article so I don't see this trend of their games skipping Steam for EGS dying any time soon.
Ghost Recon Breakpoint will be the next major Ubisoft release to skip Steam in favour of the Epic Games Store, the publisher has told PCGamesN. The first Ubisoft release to do so was Tom Clancy's The Division 2, in a move the publisher announced in January this year. At that point, it was considered a coup for the Epic Games Store, surpassing Metro Exodus as the biggest game to bypass Steam.

Since the launch of The Division 2 in March, Anno 1800 has also been exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Ghost Recon Breakpoint, which was announced yesterday, will be the third major Ubisoft release out of three to bypass Steam. Speaking to investors after its Q3 results, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot acknowledged the "growing number of distribution platforms fighting for great content" in the games industry.

"With this deal, we saw an opportunity to increase player exposure to our own store while at the same time supporting a partner that greatly values our games and provides better terms," he said. "Early indications are supportive, as PC pre-orders are higher than for the first Division, and pre-orders on the Ubisoft store are six times higher. We believe this deal is a long-term positive for Ubisoft."

While The Division and Ghost Recon are undoubtedly AAA franchises, they are not in the very top-tier of Ubisoft IP. It remains to be seen whether the publisher will skip Steam with the next major installments of Far Cry and Assassin's Creed.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
This was expected following Division 2.
Ubisoft getting that free money while they can.

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realise this was implied beforehand. Either way, it's a huge get for the EGS.

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
At this point we know all Ubi games are Uplay and EGS so this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I don't think this is a big deal since you still need and will play it via Uplay so the best option is to buy it there regardless where it releases (this is assuming it won't be available anywhere else for a better price).

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
It's a great deal for Ubi, they get free money from EGS and anyone who doesn't want to support EGS buys on Uplay where they get 100% of the revenue.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Division and Anno both went this route, so it was predictable that GR would too. I'll be getting it on Uplay anyways.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna get it on EGS anyway since I like the plus one to my library. Already got 18 games ☺️

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Bit of a bummer, my coop buddies for Wildlands are on Steam and we used Steam voice chat. How good is EGS chat?

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly dont mind Ubisoft doing it since i was probably going to buy it on uplay anyway

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone expect otherwise after they extended their deal?

And either way it doesn't matter, uPlay exists and I have no qualms buying games there.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
its fine ill get it on uplay...SEE WHAT I DID THERE? I HAVE AN OPTION..I can choose where to buy it and it aint going to be fucking Epic Shit Store. But you see, at least ubisoft gives me an another option, doesnt lock me out from everywhere but egs. So yes, i will buy and i will support ubisoft because comeptition should be more like this, wher ei can have OPTIONS and not egs bs where they take them all away.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Which reminds me, is The Division 2 still going strong? I got it for free and still can't bring myself to play it for long, shit's boring.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I think most of us expected that. Think Ubisoft hoping supporting Epic store will cause more people to go for the Uplays store.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this news? I thought this was a given considering this has been what Ubisoft's been doing lately.

All this means is that people are more likely to continue buying their games for Uplay for cheap on third-party websites.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing it was never announced for Steam, so people can't be angry. Chalk it up to Ubisoft liking EGS more than Steam, like Square-Enix like Steam more than anything else. Square don't even sell their own games on their own store like Ubisoft though.

Bit of a bummer, my coop buddies for Wildlands are on Steam and we used Steam voice chat. How good is EGS chat?
I don't voice chat but I hear Discord is used a lot and is great.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Do Ubi games on Steam and Epic still require uPlay to be installed? If do one might as well bypass EGS.

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
Does it really matter in this case? It'll need to launch UPlay anyway.

EGS doesn't even know how to link the game files to UPlay like Steam does. After it downloads the game, it starts UPlay and that program downloads the files again. You can delete the EGS files and EGS and UPlay will run it just fine.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I love this competition where I can only buy a PC game on two platforms. Competition where one store charges me in Euros, and the other charges me 66 USD for it (I'm in Pakistan).

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubi is probably doing this because they want to fight hard on keys they don't control. Having it linked only to Uplay and the Epic Games Store probably helps them keep their games at the most premium price.

Doubt they're doing this for any other reason than to make sure every penny given to them is as close to their suggested prices and nothing else.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Epic is dumping millions keeping Ubisoft games away from Steam while Ubisoft themselves see growth with Uplay and are laughing all the way to the bank.

That Yves chap is quite smart LOL

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing it was never announced for Steam, so people can't be angry. Chalk it up to Ubisoft liking EGS more than Steam, like Square-Enix like Steam more than anything else. Square don't even sell their own games on their own store like Ubisoft though.
They like the free money they get from epic while still being able to sell their own keys for their store likely a lot more than they actually care about egs. I wouldn't take this as an endorsement of egs in the slightest