• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck I was pretty meh about Ghost Recon Breakpoint since I did not like Wildlands but I as expecting the low 70~ for this game, a mid 50 is something else damn, is that the lowest reviewed game from a big publisher since Ryse and Knack? I do not remember a game from a big publisher scoring that low besides Knack and Ryse, kinda shocked tbh
moi3OTi.png

All the more sad considering Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is still one of the most well-reviewed games in history.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
That's a big ol "yikes" from me.

I'm really not surprised though after the technical test and the beta. It was just a broken, un-fun mess. I mean, some parts being broken were to be expected, but not to the level they were for a game that was, at the time, about two months out from release.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
First gameplay I saw I knew it would have at most mediocre reception. Add all the microtransaction junk and this game was bound for failure.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. I enjoyed my time with the division 2 and while I know this is not the same group that made that game it did look like a game I can fool around with for a bit. Guess this is an easy pass now.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why the hell did Ubisoft try to make a fucking Ghost Recon game into a looter shooter when they already have the Division?! Wouldn't they canabilze off each other even in a best case scenario?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Always online, full of MTX.

It's just not what I want from my shooters.

If your game is always online, it better be well justified. But that hardly seems the case when the previous installment offered a thorough offline, and singleplayer experience. And MTX, if they're not cosmetic only then your game is going to face some backlash.

Surprising that there's not a quality game underneath all that though. Ubisoft's invest a lot of time in getting players to play their games privately, before they see critics, or consumers. Thousands of players will have played this game at Ubisoft's labs, behind close doors. The purpose of that process is to make better games, avoid the 50 metascore, so what went wrong here?

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The purpose of that process is to make better games, avoid the 50 metascore, so what went wrong here?

Too late in the dev cycle to course correct is what I'm thinking. Too committed to make drastic changes, they would probably have to wipe the game clean and start from scratch. Here's hoping they learn a hard lesson here going forward.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I enjoyed Wildlands, it was ultimately a solid 7/10 game. Breakpoint looks like it's par for the course.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
In the beta thread, I thought maybe I was crazy. I'm glad to see this performing poorly with critics, maybe it will force them to make some changes. The beta was terrible and forced me to cancel my pre-order. Seems like it was the right choice.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Regardless of the reviews , this game is just fun.
Objectively? Sure maybe not the best game, but my friends and I have 20+ hours and it has been nothing but fun. Better than wild lands for us by a good amount.
Anyone could have guessed it wasn't going to review well with critics, it's just not going for that. Wild lands was the same.
I can't stress enough how much just pure enjoyment I've had and will keep having with Breakpoint.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Always online, full of MTX.

It's just not what I want from my shooters.

If your game is always online, it better be well justified. But that hardly seems the case when the previous installment offered a thorough offline, and singleplayer experience. And MTX, if they're not cosmetic only then your game is going to face some backlash.

Surprising that there's not a quality game underneath all that though. Ubisoft's invest a lot of time in getting players to play their games privately, before they see critics, or consumers. Thousands of players will have played this game at Ubisoft's labs, behind close doors. The purpose of that process is to make better games, avoid the 50 metascore, so what went wrong here?
Amen.

What I loved about Wildlands was the fact it could also be played offline... so many good steps they made there..

Online only? Meh I will skip it.
Ubisoft bugs? What else is new. Full of mtx is something that really annoys me, but apparently they added that in too early by mistake. Yeah right..

Timesavers for everyone.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Why the hell did Ubisoft try to make a fucking Ghost Recon game into a looter shooter when they already have the Division?! Wouldn't they canabilze off each other even in a best case scenario?

The individual studios have a lot of creative freedom. It's likely that it's just the game they wanted to make, and it fit well with Ubisoft's overall strategy.

Too late in the dev cycle to course correct is what I'm thinking. Too committed to make drastic changes, they would probably have to wipe the game clean and start from scratch. Here's hoping they learn a hard lesson here going forward.

User research is a component of the dev life cycle from very early in development. They would have likely had the voice of the player base intermixed into their development process from a very early, pre-production stage.

They should have simply taken learnings from the first game, to make this game better. I imagine the unexpected output is more likely the result of conflict between the players voice, and others in the game development process, such as the vision of specific key people on the project, marketing, and so forth.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Lol that's the ERA-bubble my friend, this game will be one of the Top 5 selling titles of the year, just like Wildlands was.
I've been shitting on this game relentlessly since it was available for early access but I'll be damned if this isn't the most fun I've ever had playing a decidedly bad game.

Does that make it a good game? I don't know.
I put 300 hours into Destiny 2 and I hated it the entire time. I don't hate Breakpoint, but I am extremely disappointed with the design decisions Ubi made.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
"optional" mtx leading to shoehorned RPG-lite loot hunts and mixed PVE/PVP progression, cosmetic MTX leading to a shoehorned public hub space, and a title where the storefront has more stability and polish than the minute to moment-to-moment gameplay just gives off a cynical and desperate smell

Makes me wonder what this game could have been if it wasn't developed under the shadow of these monetization techniques.

Jan 15, 2018
Did not forsee this at all, the game looked solid when they revealed it.

Granted, I didnt play the beta, but based on gameplay I've seen, it looks like the game is a lot less survival themed than the reveal suggested. Was there a change in the last few months? because the vibe seems totally different from when it was first revealed.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly after seeing how elaborate and immense the MTXs options are in this game I had ZERO DOUBT this game would be hot trash.

I hate modern gaming sometimes. Put all that effort into MTXs no doubt your games going to suffer in other areas.

This game shouldn't do well given how gross the monetization will but im sure it still will unfortunately.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Def will. But I wonder if it can maintain its community. Ubi has been pretty good with that with their other games tho.

I think they do a great job of maintaining the community of their games and keep people engaged. Several of their games were received by critics harshly or not so great scores and they did fine in the end. Games like Wildlands, For Honor and a few others comes to mind.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Jeebus. That's not going to sell any UPlay+ memberships.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bummer, are there any decent tactical shooters that have come out in the last 1-2 years that aren't MP only? It's a genre I sorely miss. Here's hoping that SWAT spiritual successor turns out alright.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oof. I honestly didn't expect such a consensus. I liked the first game.

Curious to see how/if they'll eventually turn it around.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I liked Wildlands but with reviews like this I'll stay away and buy something else. The MTX alone was keeping me away but with the reviews it's a big nope.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa.

Granted I only spent like 15 minutes on the beta, but aside from it crashing on me after like 15 minutes, it seemed like a decent one of those co-opy shooty looty bangbangs, the kind that typically lands somewhere in the 70's on Metacritic.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The betas were so bad so I'm not surprised with the critical reception. Every system and interaction in the game is clashing with another and it seemed like a game with no direction.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breakpoints is more microtransaction than game, glad to see reviewers finally not putting up with that shit.

BanditRocky

Aug 18, 2019
Did not forsee this at all, the game looked solid when they revealed it.

Granted, I didnt play the beta, but based on gameplay I've seen, it looks like the game is a lot less survival themed than the reveal suggested. Was there a change in the last few months? because the vibe seems totally different from when it was first revealed.

I could be remembering this wrong, but I think injuries had several tiers in the early version. I remember thinking that they may have taken it too deep, but after playing the betas, I think a more hardcore approach might have been for the best.

It had a touch of Metal Gear to it at one point, almost wish they had taken it further down that path.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck I was pretty meh about Ghost Recon Breakpoint since I did not like Wildlands but I as expecting the low 70~ for this game, a mid 50 is something else damn, is that the lowest reviewed game from a big publisher since Ryse and Knack? I do not remember a game from a big publisher scoring that low besides Knack and Ryse, kinda shocked tbh
The big flop of last year: Fallout 76 got 52 on PC.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really surprised Ubi went in the gear direction for this game considering The Division 2 has been criticized relentlessly since launch regarding how poor the gear system is in that game. Pushing this game out before even fixing the current gear issues in your already existing game just doesn't seem like a smart move to me. I know we're talking separate developers, but Ubi's new bread-and-butter seems to be infecting all of their IPs now.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love how game devs learned nothing from the mid 00s when everyone was trying to make MMO's to go up against WoW and they all failed horribly.

Hopefully this loot-shooter craze dies just as fast.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Lol that's the ERA-bubble my friend, this game will be one of the Top 5 selling titles of the year, just like Wildlands was.
It might sell okay initially but then it will become a ghost town like Anthem and sort of like Fallout 76, although F76 at least has tried to have a turn around and might be moving towards redemption. Ubisoft games always quickly get discounts, but I think this one will get faster, more significant discounts and won't sell anywhere near Wildlands but won't be an outright sales failure. Anthem overall is a huge failure, selling far below expectations, not maintaining a playerbase that buys microtransactions, but still sold in the top 5 games of the year. So it really depends on the game budget and if they get the audience hooked into the microtransactions for it to be a success or failure.