• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
grb_2019_10_04_21_20_02jcg.png

grb_2019_09_28_20_06_2fkx1.png

grb_2019_10_04_22_19_zdjjk.png

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
If I want to go from story mission to story mission with a minimal of side stuff, will I be too underpowered?

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The game can definitely be a looker at times.

One thing I didn't really like was all the foliage moving in the wind. It has some kind of.. I dunno, uncanny valley of plants for me. Like ALL the plants are swaying in the wind.. the same way/same time. Like they just need to tone it down a little bit.

DG5000

Nov 14, 2017
In my opinion, stealth is so much better in terms of gameplay. It's a lot more challenging in a good way than Wildlands because:
  1. (...)

All this makes it sound that stealth is a pain in the ass. Way more variables to consider, way more margin of error, higher chance of missions devolving into all out shoot-outs. And while these new ghost recons have stealth elements they are not really built as stealth games: no short, self-contained levels that you can replay over and over again to perfect your approach and a checkpoint save system that makes trial and error a pain in the ass.

Wildlands gave some tools to make stealth easier and it still was very hard to ghost missions due to the sheer amount of enemies on bases. If Breakpoint keeps the same number of enemies, takes out those QoL tools and adds all-seeing drones, I really can't stealth working all that well.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All this makes it sound that stealth is a pain in the ass. Way more variables to consider, way more margin of error, higher chance of missions devolving into all out shoot-outs. And while these new ghost recons have stealth elements they are not really built as stealth games: no short, self-contained levels that you can replay over and over again to perfect your approach and a checkpoint save system that makes trial and error a pain in the ass.

Wildlands gave some tools to make stealth easier and it still was very hard to ghost missions due to the sheer amount of enemies on bases. If Breakpoint keeps the same number of enemies, takes out those QoL tools and adds all-seeing drones, I really can't stealth working all that well.

You just have to adapt your strategies I guess. It absolutely STILL works, you just have to do it in different ways. Is it better? I don't know. Different isn't always better or worse, sometimes it's just different.

There are perks and outfits and other ways to mitigate the drones, so if you want to be sneaky, you put your points/options/gear in that direction. There are things specifically geared towards extra damage/etc for drones.. so if you're going guns blazing maybe go that direction.

I absolutely would be patient, scout, and syncshot every fucking Santa Blanca gang member in a town and then waltz in. It was fun, cheesy as hell, but it was fun. Was it tactical? Ehhhhh not really. I guess maybe if you figure your AI ghost buddies are also supposed to be the best of the best.. but it was still cheesing the system. Without that, I have to do the heavy lifting, so it's an adjustment.. but it's still fun.

Also, dying really has zero penalty from what I can tell. You start by the nearest biovak..biouviou.. fucking campfire. You can just re-attempt. I haven't seen any real penalty for trying and failing. Someone else can elaborate more if they've noticed something.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If I want to go from story mission to story mission with a minimal of side stuff, will I be too underpowered?
No, most of the content seems to scale to your power level, although the final encounter seems to have a gear check of lvl 150. For reference I'm at about 140 with 12 hours played, doing a mix of activities.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Cant find my Sentinel pack that came with the retail copy of the game...guessing its in the first Hub or Bivouac,which I havent reached yet...?

Also I downloaded the French Audio pack,close to 1GB but everything is still in french except the actual Audio...?

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know for a lot of the reward loot I had to finish a couple of missions and then talk to Holt at the main base. Not sure if the pre-order DLC was the same way.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This game sure is a giant mess of ideas that don't really work.

But I've been playing it for like 5 hours straight so neato I guess.
The world looks nice and I like exploring and stabbing things.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada

Do you really want a stealth game where you can just mindlessly dispose of all of the enemies? Wildlands had so many stationary guards that you could easily pick off with very little chance of being detected. There was generally little challenge to its stealth systems. You also don't need perfect stealth runs in this game since the game doesn't become terrible once you're detected: you just need to improvise and adapt to the situations as they unfold which is, to me, far more interesting than constantly saving and reloading to get that perfect stealth run since the overt combat in most stealth games is garbage.

To demonstrate how stealth looks like in Breakpoint and how its different but not too different from Wildlands, I recorded myself clearing a base that you're likely to see near the beginning of the game while making some comments about my approach. The biggest difference when it comes to soldiers is just how many actually patrol now which gives some urgency to your actions.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just upgraded my grenades to mk2. It says I can craft them and buy them in Maria's shop. I see I can craft them , but they aren't in Maria's shop. Am I missing something?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You're never *really* under leveled. Right from the beginning there is a hard zone with 150 ilvl enemies and you can kill them in a couple of shots with a base character, and head shots are instant killed.

It's extremely light on the loot/level mechanics.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
The menus are all kinds of confusing in this game. That and the enemies can be really stupid....like standing in a line going down one by one stupid

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
I disliked wildlands. Moderately enjoyed breakpoint beta. Absolute love the full release. Much more polished and incredible open world
So far the world hasn't been particularly interesting. It's pretty, for sure, but kind of.. vapid? The random civvys don't usually have much to say/do. There are a few ruins/etc you can investigate to find loot.. but I haven't seen anything particularly exciting about them. There are some animals running around but you can't skin them or hunt them or anything.

There are a number of 'investigations' to do, where you look for clues and stuff (essentially just find X thing), but I feel like those could be fleshed out better to give you more info on the world.

What exactly is the point of getting higher #'d gear? The different colored stuff seems to have better bonuses, but what does the overall # actually represent? It doesn't seem like you do more damage or take more damage.

Alright thanks guys. I guess I'll hold off for now. The reviews are pretty bad, plus MW, the Division 2 DLC, and Death Stranding are right around the corner.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
No, most of the content seems to scale to your power level, although the final encounter seems to have a gear check of lvl 150. For reference I'm at about 140 with 12 hours played, doing a mix of activities.
You're never *really* under leveled. Right from the beginning there is a hard zone with 150 ilvl enemies and you can kill them in a couple of shots with a base character, and head shots are instant killed.

It's extremely light on the loot/level mechanics.

Thanks

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bugs don't happen to everyone if they did they would just be called shitty features. That being said the animation glitch, canceling, all that. For sure has happened. Saw it on twitch during 2 live streams and had it happen once to myself. Saw a couple stuck kill animations. Mine was a stuck helicopter animation where my guy got stuck in the animation of getting into the helicopter so he looked like a fucked up crab until I dropped out.
thanks Karak. frustrating to see the shoot the messenger mentality but it is what it is. checked out your review earlier-- great stuff. ticked almost every box in terms of issues I had with the game already down in my notes. audio is so weird and muddy.

just did a mission where I was told to interrogate a soldier for info on how to infiltrate the underground bunker. took a few tries just to get the interrogation right because he kept popping around and alerting right as I snuck up. when I finally did it, I walked over to the nearby boat. took out the enemies-- but the boat had somehow spawned too far inshore. it was bugged and I couldn't move it.

had to run all the way around and grab another boat. as soon as I drive it into the hidden underground entrance, all the enemies see me and it breaks stealth. of course it does, it's a damn boat. they're all alerted, so they run behind cover. and stay there. they don't move-- they just stand still behind cover. they ring the radio in twice with the same message "this is the team who got Skell-- be careful." but stay standing still. I pick them each off. one of them runs back and forth in the same spot-- the rest don't move and let me pick 'em off. finally, they're all dead. but I don't know what the next objective is. don't see a waypoint either. I scan everything with the drone. finally go to the objective menu to pin it.

brokepoint.png

here it is. your next objective-- #ObjectiveName. yeah, I think I've played enough at this point.

Odelpha

Oct 17, 2018
Wildlands made love to The Division, Far Cry, Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed. More babies please.

DG5000

Nov 14, 2017
Do you really want a stealth game where you can just mindlessly dispose of all of the enemies? Wildlands had so many stationary guards that you could easily pick off with very little chance of being detected. There was generally little challenge to its stealth systems. You also don't need perfect stealth runs in this game since the game doesn't become terrible once you're detected: you just need to improvise and adapt to the situations as they unfold which is, to me, far more interesting than constantly saving and reloading to get that perfect stealth run since the overt combat in most stealth games is garbage.

Ok, I guess that video had pretty similar stealth gameplay compared to wildlands, no drones in that base though so no idea how they affect stealth.

Just one final question, do you actually clear the enemy presence by taking these type of bases in the game like in FarCry, or do you go 1Km in any direction and when you come back everything has respawned and going about like nothing happened (like in Wildlands)?

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I figured out a way to invert the drone camera. In the custom controller settings, you can manually change the up and down of the camera individually. really weird, but it works

Also, I really dig the non guided option to play and using clues to find stuff. Unrelated to this game, but that's something I had really been wanting to see done in a game like breath of the wild

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I guess that video had pretty similar stealth gameplay compared to wildlands, no drones in that base though so no idea how they affect stealth.

Just one final question, do you actually clear the enemy presence by taking these type of bases in the game like in FarCry, or do you go 1Km in any direction and when you come back everything has respawned and going about like nothing happened (like in Wildlands)?
Enemies come back of course. Never understand how anyone could want areas to remain clear. Unless you have some mechanic to repopulate them.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played coop for about 4 hours last night. I'd already gotten to about a 45 gear score and my friend was just starting. Walked him through the first couple of missions and explained how everything works.. The menus really are not great, nor intuitive.. But once you figure it out, it's workable.

We spent most of the time just fucking around and roaming around hunting patrols and looting the little areas of interest. Ended up stealing a big helicopter, flying around, getting shot down by a Behemoth.. Crashed in the ocean.. Survived.. Stole a boat.. And just went pirating along the cost for a bit. Found an airport, stole a plane, flew around, crashed the plane.. And then Ran around, ran into another Behemoth and absolutely destroyed us.

It was fun. Neither of us had any major issues, everything more or less worked as we had anticipated. We both put a lot of hours into Wildlands, so for the most part this was par for the course in what we expected. The gear/loot number is silly and not needed.. BUT it does give you incentive to fight everyone you see instead of running away since you can get gear from anyone. In Wildlands all you could get was some XP, so you'd avoid fights sometime to save time.

Working on some solo play today probably. I'm enjoying the slower pace and playing 'strategically'.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty surprised that Best Buy had this game 10 dollars off on launch day yesterday so along with my gamers club discount I decided to go physical... only spent an hour with it and I did like what I played but we will see as the game progresses here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already but how the hell do I turn off HDR on the PS4 version? I'm playing this on a Sony Bravia KD65XF9005 and I can't for the life of me get it to look decent so would much rather have it turned off.

Oct 25, 2017
Hit 180 gear score and still haven't finished Act 3. Maybe I should stop doing side-quests / faction quest and get to finishing this campaign :)

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Damn. Not good to hear. I enjoyed wildlands, but it was definitely a fun 7/10 type game.

I'm on the fence for this one, but a lot of the articles and youtube hot takes are freaking me out.

I don't know where you get the sense that these are hot takes. It's pretty much the consensus right now that Breakpoint is a big step down from Wildlands.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
How's the multiplayer in this? I got tired of Div 2 because I didn't like the multiplayer but I've always liked 3rd person military/stealth shooters.

Jun 17, 2018
Our review is up - http://starnews.ca/article/9303/review-tom-clancys-ghost-recon-breakpoint/

It's basically Wildlands with a bit more bare map and some pointless loot/survival mechanics that mean nothing anyway. I didn't hit any major bugs in my playthrough, with the bugged scope during zoom being the most common and annoying.

Good review, not played the PvP yet but I know it will be my thing. Its definitely flawed but not awful like some of the reviews seem to say, although I've been playing co-op which has been loads of fun.

It's a definite 7/10 game for me so far.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the actual Wolves with Drones can sure fuck your shit up if you're not careful!

What's the best way to escape if the stupid spy drone spots you? I try to run but never get very far.

Also.. How are the two attack helicopters? The Blackhawk analog flies like a trashcan.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What's the best way to escape if the stupid spy drone spots you? I try to run but never get very far.

All drones seem to obey line of sight. So do all you can to break line of sight between you and it. Then hide by entering cave, building, doing prone camo thingy etc. and chill.

Also AI always goes for your last know location which can be sound based ("Shots heard") or line of sight based (where you was last seen by AI) so break LoS and change zip code.

Crumbtiny

Oct 27, 2017
Can you seriously not invert the drone camera? What in the hell...

This was driving me nuts too. I finally went into Customize Control on the settings menu and there's a tab for the drone. I changed Drone Camera Up to down on the R stick and Drone Camera Down to up on the right stick (if you just change one of those settings the game automatically changes the other one for you). It gave me a warning about the controls maybe not working like I'd expect, but it's been perfect since then. Playing on PS4.

Now if I can just get the helicopter controls adjusted...

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
This was driving me nuts too. I finally went into Customize Control on the settings menu and there's a tab for the drone. I changed Drone Camera Up to down on the R stick and Drone Camera Down to up on the right stick (if you just change one of those settings the game automatically changes the other one for you). It gave me a warning about the controls maybe not working like I'd expect, but it's been perfect since then. Playing on PS4.

Now if I can just get the helicopter controls adjusted...
Yeah, I posted after the same solution I figured out haha. Really weird oversight. I haven't flown a chopper yet

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Ubisoft confirmed Raid and first special event (Terminator) are coming this month.
Got a source for that? Because last I checked they had only confirmed that there was an update arriving on the 15th (with some feedback based fixes), and they stated the Terminator event would arrive after the Raid. The assumption by the community was that the raid was coming on the 15th but I've yet to see Ubisoft confirm it.

If you're talking about the tweet they put out a while ago, the actual roadmap the tweet links to makes no mention of a raid coming this month, just that it (and special live events) will drop during episode 1, so it appears to be poor wording on their part.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Got a source for that? Because last I checked they had only confirmed that there was an update arriving on the 15th (with some feedback based fixes), and they stated the Terminator event would arrive after the Raid. The assumption by the community was that the raid was coming on the 15th but I've yet to see Ubisoft confirm it.

If you're talking about the tweet they put out a while ago, the actual roadmap the tweet links to makes no mention of a raid coming this month, just that it (and special live events) will drop during episode 1, so it appears to be poor wording on their part.

Imo tweet clearly says Raid + special event (which we know is Terminator) is coming this month.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia

Imo tweet clearly says Raid + special event (which we know is Terminator) is coming this month.

It does, but as I pointed out, the actual link (which is a roadmap for October) makes no mention of either dropping this month. Remember Episode last four months. If they drop all that content in one month they won't have much for the other three months.

Oct 25, 2017
I know people who managed to get to 250 which is where the soft cap is

I think farming 250+ Wolves camp are the way to go, from what I understand

Oh, awesome! And kind of surprising, knowing that the raid has a buy in of 150. I think I've only accidentally done 1 or 2 wolf camps, but I'll be doing a bunch of those moving forward.