• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DG5000

Nov 14, 2017
I will get it eventually (but never before they add A.I partners back, taking them out was silly), these games are good for some casual fun in dry spells while you're waiting for other better games. Bonus points for being in discounted prices relatively early.

How is the stealth gameplay and how easy is to maintain it? Is it like Wildlands or have they bumped up the number of enemies and the game is now more shooter-heavy?

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is the point of getting higher #'d gear? The different colored stuff seems to have better bonuses, but what does the overall # actually represent? It doesn't seem like you do more damage or take more damage.

From what I know, the only thing it really effects are:

1) The bonuses attached to gear
2) Being allowed into the raid
3) Doing more damage against drone-based enemies
4) The amount of time it takes for AI to "alert" / "detect" you in various situations
5) The amount of damage you can take

Nothing in terms of your output damage against regular AI is changed, and regular AI also "scale" with you for the most part.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
I will get it eventually (but never before they add A.I partners back, taking them out was silly), these games are good for some casual fun in dry spells while you're waiting for other better games. Bonus points for being in discounted prices relatively early.

How is the stealth gameplay and how easy is to maintain it? Is it like Wildlands or have they bumped up the number of enemies and the game is now more shooter-heavy?
Stealth is much more doable than in Wildlands. Also AI teammates will break this game imo. Solo is so much fun here.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

You can still do full stealth. There is stealth class now, "Panther" which gets bonuses.. different gear also gives +Stealth bonuses and detection bonuses and stuff. The AI is still pretty dumb too, so you can cheese whole outposts relatively easily if you take your time. You can move bodies now too!

From what I know, the only thing it really effects are:

1) The bonuses attached to gear
2) Being allowed into the raid
3) Doing more damage against drone-based enemies
4) The amount of time it takes for AI to "alert" / "detect" you in various situations
5) The amount of damage you can take

Nothing in terms of your output damage against regular AI is changed, and regular AI also "scale" with you for the most part.

Ahhh thank you, that makes sense. Seems like a weird way to slow progression I guess. I found a Level 22 MPX that I really liked and upgraded to Tier 2 and all that jazz (It gives 20% XP!).. but I haven't found another one with a higher level (all my other gear is around 45). Is there a disadvantage for using a lower level gun?

Mar 29, 2018
I recall the first game not reviewing that well either at launch. A few months later it seemed like everyone was really enjoying it.
Yeah, it's basically the same story as Wildlands and many other games like this.

In short: if you were forced to sit in a room and play a game like this, all 60+ hours of it end-to-end, it wouldn't be fun. The lack of polish will be painful, the gameplay will get repetitive, it'll be a slog.

But played sporadically as a player or with three very close friends, it'll be a fucking blast and those issues won't matter because you won't be mainlining it to a deadline.

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh thank you, that makes sense. Seems like a weird way to slow progression I guess. I found a Level 22 MPX that I really liked and upgraded to Tier 2 and all that jazz (It gives 20% XP!).. but I haven't found another one with a higher level (all my other gear is around 45). Is there a disadvantage for using a lower level gun?

The disadvantage is that any lower level item will drop your gear score, since it's all an average of your weapons + gear; this has the unfortunate effect of drastically reducing your gear score in the case of holding an item that is really out of date. My recommendation is: only ever hold on to an "older" weapon if your current class (assault, panther, sharpshooter, etc) has challenges relating to that weapon. I let my sniper rifle slip a little bit here and there as sharpshooter because the challenges required that I get a lot of kills with it, and leveling your subclasses is important. (also, when you upgrade a weapon tier, you're upgrading the "type" -- not just the weapon you're using -- so you can safely get a new one and it'll be just as strong). If you ever feel like you have a piece that has slipped WAY too far, just got to Erawhon (sp?) and buy a new one from Maria.

This all being said, I'm an ex Destiny guy and gear score grinds is familiar ground to me. Here's the raw truth: other than the raid and a few small points dotted around the (outlandishly) huge map, there's nothing holding you back, not even gear score, from doing what you want. The only thing to be remotely afraid of are drone / machine-based enemies, and even if you're incredibly overleveled they are cheesable with a bit of patience and precision. Gear score in this game is more a recommendation than a requirement, and that's kind of nice. It's a number you can watch in the background grow as you do stuff, but you don't ever really need to watch it *TO* do stuff. I'm level 150 right now, but my highest side-mission is recommending like 80.

Even if gear score is a thing that is shoe-horned into this game, it definitely wasn't done in a way that was meant to gate content. And if it is, it doesn't work particularly well with their systems.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Well the implementation of A.I partners was somewhat goofy in Wildlands true, but I still think they are an added-value, at least in terms of immersion, in my opinion.
In Wildlands they were for sure. When they revealed Breakpoint I was pissed AI team mates aren't in, but now I won't ever play with them. Solo is so good here and also I'm not sure if teammates will work storywise here.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's basically the same story as Wildlands and many other games like this.

In short: if you were forced to sit in a room and play a game like this, all 60+ hours of it end-to-end, it wouldn't be fun. The lack of polish will be painful, the gameplay will get repetitive, it'll be a slog.

But played sporadically as a player or with three very close friends, it'll be a fucking blast and those issues won't matter because you won't be mainlining it to a deadline.
Yeah both this and Wildlands aren't good games for a review environment. More of a pick up and play off and on rather than a sprint type of game. I love Wildlands and really enjoy Breakpoint but trying to see and do everything for a deadline or to get maximum eyes on in the first 72 hours would be torturous.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, this could review worse than Anthem and Fallout 76 and much worse than Wildlands if early reviews are in line with the rest.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ghost Recon is somewhat niche on ERA, so I doubt there's enough interest for a review thread.

I do remember the 'masses' here on Era shitting on Wildlands a ton, and constantly being amazed at every NPD thread when it was selling like hotcakes (hotcakes still sell like gangbusters right? (How does something exactly sell like "gangbusters" anyway now that I think about it?)).

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
I do remember the 'masses' here on Era shitting on Wildlands a ton, and constantly being amazed at every NPD thread when it was selling like hotcakes (hotcakes still sell like gangbusters right? (How does something exactly sell like "gangbusters" anyway now that I think about it?)).
I fully expect the same thing happening here again lol.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this could review worse than Anthem and Fallout 76 and much worse than Wildlands if early reviews are in line with the rest.

I don't think it could possibly review worse than those two. It's a (more or less) complete game with complete modes and running at about the standard AAA level of bugginess one would expect from a big publisher these days. It absolutely does have enough SOLO/Single player quality content at launch to give you hours of enjoyment (when the servers are working).

There will be some "0/100!!111!!!one!!1!!" reviews, I am sure.. but those are just going for the rageclickbait headlines. When blood is in the water the sharks circle, and the YouTube reviewers know it'll get people to watch it if everyone is being critical of it.

I think (so-far) the game is a solid 70/100 game, with bonus modifiers if you have friends to play with OR you happen to particularly like solo action/stealth games with light RPG/loot features.

Wildlands (mostly) got better with time & patches & content updates, so I expect the same thing here. Initial reviews will likely be tepid across the board, but word of mouth will get people to keep playing and get friends playing and once they get to the hook of the game, it'll do okay.

I really enjoyed wildlands by choosing to play my own way.

You could just play the game like just cause or the mercenaries and just crash land a helicopter in the center of an outpost and go guns blazing. It would make the game seem goofy as hell.

But I always preferred a more methodical and "realistic " approach. I would land relatively far off the objective and sneak up on foot and take my time.

As long as I can make the game my own better experience, I'll pick it up.
I dont care about microtransactions because I wont use them.

Yeah, you can do that, I play mostly the same way. I like taking my time to scout out a base and methodically eliminate them all before getting the loot. Sometimes it's fun to go RAMBO, but you still die pretty quickly here if you do that from what I've seen. I did take out a whole base in a helicopter just flying around shooting everyone.. so that was kind of cheese.

I hope I get some time to try co-op, as it was amazing fun in Wildlands, especially when you had a good crew who all played (relatively) the same.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I ended up buying the game, even with weak review scores (albeit harshly) there just isn't any other open world Ubisoft game coming out this year and I think it'll be good enough to scratch the itch with me. And I know I'll be critiquing it at junctures when the game falls off the mark, but...what can ya do ya know?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
My 9700k absolutely uses 100% at all times during gameplay

Necro reply, but here is my HW usage % from release version. CPU is at 5 GHz. Pretty stable at those levels no matter what.

yCcpxRD.jpg

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Going back to another Ubi game. I remember the Rainbow Six: Siege reviews as well. Everyone expected it to drop off the map.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Droning got a big nerf, there's no free executes from AI squadmates, and there's no more rebel abilities so you can't just instant scan an entire fort. Enemy drones are almost impossible to deal with without setting off alarms, and a chore to fight once they activate. Unlike Wildlands which had human-manned turrets that you could snipe, Breakpoint's turrets are all drone turrets--so you can't take them out without multiple hits (and also setting off alarms).

So yeah, you can play it stealth, but it's a lot harder, and not nearly as fun, and without nearly as many options despite the dedicated Panther class giving stealth buffs (that are pointless because the more surefire way to stealth in this game is just to snipe with a silencer, which will put enemies into alert mode, but they won't be able to detect you because the AI is still dumb as bricks.

Another really annoying thing that wasn't fixed from Wildlands is that when you attempt to do grab someone, as soon as you start holding the button, it will alert the enemy you're attempting to grab--even if you're behind them and they're facing away from you. It's really stupid and means there's no reason to ever grab someone instead of just shooting them, because you can interrogate them after they're "dead" anyway.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hold on to your butts:

Judging from the past (Wildlands) threads, no need to jump in there and hardcore defend the game up and down, the people who will like Breakpoint will buy/play/find Breakpoint and it'll do fine.

I do hope Ubisoft learns a little something from this though. While the game is fun, it definitely can use some work and does NOT benefit at all from the added 'features' they implemented.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Hold on to your butts:

Judging from the past (Wildlands) threads, no need to jump in there and hardcore defend the game up and down, the people who will like Breakpoint will buy/play/find Breakpoint and it'll do fine.

I do hope Ubisoft learns a little something from this though. While the game is fun, it definitely can use some work and does NOT benefit at all from the added 'features' they implemented.

I ain't gonna get involved into this anyway, so good for me.

I'm not looking forward to the typical hyperbolic posts, tho.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If there would ever be a company to turn a game around, it would be ubisoft. They have unparalleled support for their games this gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on to your butts:

I threw my 2 cents in there, but yeah, there's no arguing with people that want to maintain a narrative that the game is Anthem levels of bad. I don't have the time or patience to combat that claim.

I feel bad for the team. The game isn't amazing, but with the servers going down right on release and every review shitting down their necks ... feels bad, especially knowing it is nowhere near that bad.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I threw my 2 cents in there, but yeah, there's no arguing with people that want to maintain a narrative that the game is Anthem levels of bad. I don't have the time or patience to combat that claim.

I feel bad for the team. The game isn't amazing, but with the servers going down right on release and every review shitting down their necks ... feels bad, especially knowing it is nowhere near that bad.

As I said above.. there is, I dunno, a feeding frenzy kind of atmosphere with reviews.. if enough people love something, then everyone wants to get in on the love train, if enough people are critical of something.. suddenly everyone hates it. Those are the kind of reactions that get clicks and 'people talking'. No one wants to read/watch/hear a "it's a 7/10, it's okay". Everyone just nods and moves on from that.

I mostly agree with IGN's in-progress take here: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/04/tom-clancys-ghost-recon-breakpoint-review

We live in a time when half the people will unfairly judge something for arbitrary reasons, and the other half of people will call you a hater if you bring up valid issues.

Breakpoint isn't perfect, it's not a 10/10, it's got some issues. Frankly, I don't know if it's better than Wildlands RIGHT NOW, but that doesn't mean it's "worse than Anthem" or dogshit or won't get better or whatever.. it just means it's got some launch issues and likely a bit of internal conflict on how the game should behave (Survival? Looter?).

It'll be fine, hopefully a decent number of people here see through all that and give it a try and jump into some fun co-op action. I know the masses at large will likely still buy the game regardless of scores.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
As I said above.. there is, I dunno, a feeding frenzy kind of atmosphere with reviews.. if enough people love something, then everyone wants to get in on the love train, if enough people are critical of something.. suddenly everyone hates it. Those are the kind of reactions that get clicks and 'people talking'. No one wants to read/watch/hear a "it's a 7/10, it's okay". Everyone just nods and moves on from that...

agreed. you're basically describing the concept of 'zeitgeist', &, yeah, when it happens, it's pretty tangible...

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Fuck the reviews lmao. After about 45 hours in the main game I can freely say this is not only the best Ghost Recon game to date, but also my personal GOTY by far. It's a game with unbelievably fun gameplay loop, interesting characters and serviceable story. It's like Splinter Cell Blacklist and Wildlands had a bastard child. Sure it has it's fair share of bugs (luckily non game breaking for me) and Wildlands did some things better, but everything else is just so much good. This is a game I will be playing or years until inevitable sequel comes 2-3 years from now.

Man I'm just so fucking happy right now. Wildlands was an amazing game and Breakpoint is the perfect, bold sequel in every way.
Agree. Don't know what people were expecting and i don't give a shit about loot rewards and all that crap. The progression is fine. The game is rewarding and challenging. I dig it.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Is the gear/loot system similar is to the recent Assassin's Creed games? If so I can live with that as it never really bothered me in those games. Because the rest of the game sounds pretty good to me assuming the missions and story are at least decent and fun.
Ehh, the gear is more like Destiny. Did not care for the newer ass creeds so i cant really provide a comparison.
All i know is its a shiner and new Wildlands, and thats the best way i can put it. Loving the exploration and gunplay just like i did in Wildlands.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Droning got a big nerf, there's no free executes from AI squadmates, and there's no more rebel abilities so you can't just instant scan an entire fort. Enemy drones are almost impossible to deal with without setting off alarms, and a chore to fight once they activate. Unlike Wildlands which had human-manned turrets that you could snipe, Breakpoint's turrets are all drone turrets--so you can't take them out without multiple hits (and also setting off alarms).

So yeah, you can play it stealth, but it's a lot harder, and not nearly as fun, and without nearly as many options despite the dedicated Panther class giving stealth buffs (that are pointless because the more surefire way to stealth in this game is just to snipe with a silencer, which will put enemies into alert mode, but they won't be able to detect you because the AI is still dumb as bricks.

Another really annoying thing that wasn't fixed from Wildlands is that when you attempt to do grab someone, as soon as you start holding the button, it will alert the enemy you're attempting to grab--even if you're behind them and they're facing away from you. It's really stupid and means there's no reason to ever grab someone instead of just shooting them, because you can interrogate them after they're "dead" anyway.
In my opinion, stealth is so much better in terms of gameplay. It's a lot more challenging in a good way than Wildlands because:
  1. You can't just instantly and silently kill 3-4 people from impossible angles every 26 seconds with sync shots as you're limited in how many sync shot drones that you can carry. This is also one good reason for not having AI companions and also diminishes how good sniping from a distance is.
  2. There are far more patrolling enemies who can stumble upon you and the corpses in your wake which you have to plan so much more for. This also somewhat diminishes how good sniping is since patrols almost always come in pairs which are harder to snipe, particularly if they're already moving for cover after seeing a corpse or seeing their partner killed. This also encourages you to use lures to move future corpses out of the way of patrols.
  3. Enemies can hear farther away which emphasizes using quieter weapons like pistols and SMGs at close range (which the Panther class and perks give bonuses to). They also hear helicopters from farther away, thus, along with the increased enemy presence around bases, it's sometimes better to approach using other vehicles (land, water).
  4. Automatic turrets and mortars are far more deadly here since they're robotic taking multiple hits to down. This highly encourages you to find and sabotage generators before you possibly get discovered.
  5. Drones that detect better (as they should), patrol in the air, and can take multiple shots to take down add a whole new dimension to the bases that have them. You have an enemy that you can't easily one-shot, so now you have zones that you can't safely travel or leave corpes in. The stealthy Panther class has a pretty overpowered item against them which is a spray that conceals you from all drone detection for a minute, so the sneaky class can still travel freely even with drones present, but there's some urgency now with the time limit and limited inventory.
  6. As I've aluded to, sniping is no longer the best way to stealth the game as it will often lead to corpes being found. The enemy AI also tends to bunker down in cover if an unknown sniper is firing at them from a distance which means that you will eventually have to close in anyway.
  7. Speaking of AI, in my opinion, the AI is unrealistic but very good from a gameplay perspective. When only lightly alerted (yellow marker), they generally act sensibly, only investigating the locations where they heard or sort of saw you. Once moderately or fully alerted (orange and red markers), the AI seems to always have a very good idea of where you are, even if you are hiding in some corner a decent distance from the last sound or visual that you made, and they slowly close in on you. This is not totally realistic but not actually that far off from what a group of people might actually do: they would search every room and every inch of a base until they found you or were very convinced that you had left. The alerted AI always slowly closing in on you is a video gamey way of speeding up that process and keeping the intensity up as you won't be able to just hide in one place since they'll eventually find you. Being able to hide in one place as AI only search your last known location or spread out to randomly search an entire base would be too easy and boring. I personally like this AI model which keeps things interesting.
In summary, I find the stealth in this game to be much improved over Wildlands by being more challenging which encourages you to use more of your toolset. Enemies are not as much of a pushover, and you have to be pay a lot more attention and do more planning to avoid detection and evade pursuers.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Ehh, the gear is more like Destiny. Did not care for the newer ass creeds so i cant really provide a comparison.
All i know is its a shiner and new Wildlands, and thats the best way i can put it. Loving the exploration and gunplay just like i did in Wildlands.

I went ahead and dove in already. It hasn't bothered me yet and yeah, digging the gameplay so far.

Odelpha

Oct 17, 2018
1/5 from VG24/7. They really know what's up. They also call Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs mediocre games.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who enjoys Anthem it's pretty easy to ignore random numbers next to reviews and their aggregates and idiots on forums when you like something. Hope everybody has fun!