• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Gamestar.de doesn't like the game. Ubisoft combined Wildlands and The Division 2 and it just doesn't work. It's not a real loot shooter like The Division 2, but a strange mixture. The open world is far less interesting than in Odyssey. Often you only find a box with a useless item when you go to a question mark. Obviously it was more important to create a new service game than a new Ghost Recon game.

Mar 29, 2018
Admittedly I felt Wildlands was a lot like Division as well. I mean when you break them down to their core. Different shine but the same loops remain. And ya very much also like Wildlands.
Like the core loop of shooting people, but Wildlands' stealth mechanics, driving, crowd guard mechanics and level design totally differentiate it from Division gameplay loop wise

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Gamestar.de doesn't like the game. Ubisoft combined Wildlands and The Division 2 and it just doesn't work. It's not a real loot shooter like The Division 2, but a strange mixture. The open world is far less interesting than in Odyssey. Often you only find a box with a useless item when you go to a question mark. Obviously it was more important to create a new service game than a new Ghost Recon game.
Here is their lengthy first impression video. Non-German speakers can add (automatically created) english subtitles which kinda work

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
You know a game must be really bad when even gamestar is not a fan of it, lol.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Man, the AI is so awful. I've just completed a missions in "High Risk Area" by just lying down on a mountain and sniping the entire camp, lol. Then when someone noticed me I just ran around some building, lied down, covered myself in mud and waited for minute and they all were like "Oh I guess nothing's happening" and I easily killed the rest of them.

Exploration is a joke. You only find chests that often have totally useless shit or weapons on your level or 1 level higher. Sometimes you find data - that just points you to weapon accessory or unlocks a camp for fast travel. So. Exciting.

It's a fun game sometimes but overall after just 8 hours I just don't want to play it anymore. I wasn't huge fan of Wildlands but at least it did not have this "Oh now I have to stop cause I need to equip this new weapon cause it's obviously better even though I like shooting with that previous one" stuff.

If someone tells me that there was any other reason for introducing this whole "RPG looter shooter" systems than "time-saving" microtransaction, I'm gonna laugh in their face.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Fuck the reviews lmao. After about 45 hours in the main game I can freely say this is not only the best Ghost Recon game to date, but also my personal GOTY by far. It's a game with unbelievably fun gameplay loop, interesting characters and serviceable story. It's like Splinter Cell Blacklist and Wildlands had a bastard child. Sure it has it's fair share of bugs (luckily non game breaking for me) and Wildlands did some things better, but everything else is just so much good. This is a game I will be playing or years until inevitable sequel comes 2-3 years from now.

Man I'm just so fucking happy right now. Wildlands was an amazing game and Breakpoint is the perfect, bold sequel in every way.

Oct 27, 2017
Pre ordered this, a physical copy which is unusual for me these days.and if it's that bad I can just sell it on. Took the day off work and my physical copy hasn't arrived, what a waste of my annual leave. no wonder digital is taking over.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
After 35 hours I just hit the end of Act 3. Might tackle some side missions instead of jumping head first into Act 4.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
i haven't even started some of the main missions, just the side and faction missions :D

EDIT: I've already maxed out the field medic class and now working on the assault class and I haven't even started to look for skell.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If you really enjoyed Wildlands Ghost War, this will be a massive downgrade.
Much less class diversity, much less weapon diversity. Tying in single player progression to multiplayer was an asinine move that completely ruined the brilliant class dynamic of Wildlands PVP.

That kind of sounds like going from Uncharted 2 multiplayer to Uncharted 3. That's disappointing.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Fuck the reviews lmao. After about 45 hours in the main game I can freely say this is not only the best Ghost Recon game to date, but also my personal GOTY by far. It's a game with unbelievably fun gameplay loop, interesting characters and serviceable story. It's like Splinter Cell Blacklist and Wildlands had a bastard child. Sure it has it's fair share of bugs (luckily non game breaking for me) and Wildlands did some things better, but everything else is just so much good. This is a game I will be playing or years until inevitable sequel comes 2-3 years from now.

Man I'm just so fucking happy right now. Wildlands was an amazing game and Breakpoint is the perfect, bold sequel in every way.
This for me too. Except i didnt enjoy wildlands as much, but this game is solid af. Having a blast. Very surprised with it.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I think it would help Ghost War a bit in this game if they made it only one primary weapon to use or add back the class weapon restrictions to PvP only.

As long we can get to play with two primaries, there'll be dozens of players using snipers

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I think it would help Ghost War a bit in this game if they made it only one primary weapon to use or add back the class weapon restrictions to PvP only.

As long we can get to play with two primaries, there'll be dozens of players using snipers
Honestly, the worse thing about everyone running snipers is that they're bad at it. More often than not I find myself as the last one alive on my team because they all go to the edge of the map (where there is little to no cover) to try and get a sniping position of the middle, meanwhile the enemy team all flank and kill them while they're looking at the centre and since they're in areas with no cover it's impossible to revive them unless I just start running medic (and even then half the time they camp the bodies in some way so as soon as my teammates are revived they go down).

I actually had a match where I was in the middle of the map in some buildings, took out 3 our of 4 of the enemies and then got jumped by the forth and meanwhile my teammates were just hiding out on the hills. Of course the one enemy who took me down revived all three of his teammates and we lost the match because they sneaked up behind my three sniper teammates.

Really infuriating.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Honestly, the worse thing about everyone running snipers is that they're bad at it. More often than not I find myself as the last one alive on my team because they all go to the edge of the map (where there is little to no cover) to try and get a sniping position of the middle, meanwhile the enemy team all flank and kill them while they're looking at the centre and since they're in areas with no cover it's impossible to revive them unless I just start running medic (and even then half the time they camp the bodies in some way so as soon as my teammates are revived they go down).

I actually had a match where I was in the middle of the map in some buildings, took out 3 our of 4 of the enemies and then got jumped by the forth and meanwhile my teammates were just hiding out on the hills. Of course the one enemy who took me down revived all three of his teammates and we lost the match because they sneaked up behind my three sniper teammates.

Really infuriating.

Yeah, if I were to play Ghost War, I'd play with my friends, tho it seems like unlikely they'd be willing to play it.

I guess I'll make due with the PvE.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like the core loop of shooting people, but Wildlands' stealth mechanics, driving, crowd guard mechanics and level design totally differentiate it from Division gameplay loop wise
it's certainly a glitch when it won't allow me to switch and then starts randomly glitching in and out of the sights without any inputs from me. did you not read my post?

also, just had another issue where my character got stuck in the cantene animation after drinking and i couldn't cancel it, aim, sprint or do anything other than slow walk while crouched. slowly walking into a lake and forcing the character to swim cancelled it out, though.

yeah, the game is a buggy, broken mess.
Bugs don't happen to everyone if they did they would just be called shitty features. That being said the animation glitch, canceling, all that. For sure has happened. Saw it on twitch during 2 live streams and had it happen once to myself. Saw a couple stuck kill animations. Mine was a stuck helicopter animation where my guy got stuck in the animation of getting into the helicopter so he looked like a fucked up crab until I dropped out.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
This game is just as solo friendly as Wildlands, ie. you do not need to touch multiplayer at all to complete everything except for the raid which is explicitly a multiplayer experience. The only other thing that might be significantly easier in multiplayer is taking out the Behemoth tanks... but you don't generally have to even destroy those and can just stealth around them to get to the loot that they guard. The other good part is that, like Wildlands, players of all levels can play together without anyone feeling left behind, so, even if some of your friends can't play that often, that won't stop the rest of you from progressing your own game.

I have about 19 hours in this game now, level 22 with 117 gear score, done 23% of the main missions, and discovered 2.93% of the world. In my opinion, as a solo player, this is so much better than Wildlands in pretty much every way.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it all. I can absolutely live with this. I put close to 75 hours into The Division 2 and never once attempted a raid or really any MP stuff. Just did CoOp with my friend when he was around otherwise lone wolfed the game. Glad I can do the same here. Picking up my copy after I see Joker in an hour. Hoping to get to check it out tonight. Thanks again for taking the time to break it down.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017

This is how I feel, and that is how I felt with the reviews for Wildlands and original Destiny.

I usually agree with most video game reviews, but slamming this game for the existence of microtransactions when there is no need to interact with those at all, seems quite unfair. I think that would be a fair point if as a player I would be actively encouraged to use microtransactions, but that is not happening in Breakpoint. I initally thought that the microtransactions in Breakpoint betas appeared nefarious, but I have changed my opinion now.

Wildlands was one very glitchy game upon release, and it got better over time. On that front, Breakpoint does not seem any worse than what Wildlands was, and it is something that can be addressed by the developers with post launch support. Also, I think you risk having more glitches when your game is not limited to smaller maps (Modern Warfare, Destiny) with less interacting mechanics which are more manageable.

In terms of content, gameplay, story, and art this is my GOTY. There is no other game that gives this type of semi-simulation experience with AAA quality presentation, and a smooth co-op experience on top of that.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I recall the first game not reviewing that well either at launch. A few months later it seemed like everyone was really enjoying it.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
If you really enjoyed Wildlands Ghost War, this will be a massive downgrade.
Much less class diversity, much less weapon diversity. Tying in single player progression to multiplayer was an asinine move that completely ruined the brilliant class dynamic of Wildlands PVP.
This to me is the most tragic part of this release. Ghost War was so promising as a game mode in Wildlands, all they had to do was expand on it and actually have it available at launch this time. Instead they completely butchered it. It doesn't even feel like the same game anymore.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I wasn't huge fan of Wildlands but at least it did not have this "Oh now I have to stop cause I need to equip this new weapon cause it's obviously better even though I like shooting with that previous one" stuff.

This was one of my original complaints about Breakpoint. But now I realise that I can stick to using the weapons I like, and only switch weapons to different ones when I get a better version of the same weapon. The gear score does not have an impact that would require constant weapon changing. Distmantling the extra weapons and upgrading the one weapon you like seems more worthwhile.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
This to me is the most tragic part of this release. Ghost War was so promising as a game mode in Wildlands, all they had to do was expand on it and actually have it available at launch this time. Instead they completely butchered it. It doesn't even feel like the same game anymore.

The thing is with shared progression being a thing in the game, they can't just simply transfer all the classes from Wildlands PvP to Breakpoint without making a mess.

Especially with the classes being used for both PvE/PvP

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
I had fun during the beta playing with friends so I guess I'll be picking this up today after work since both of them are getting it as well. I really hope they stick to playing it for a while, because if not I don't see this as something I'd ever want to play solo or with randoms.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you guys care about reviews for a Ghost Recon game? The majority of games media completely shit all over Wildlands and that was one of my favorite games from that year.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is with shared progression being a thing in the game, they can't just simply transfer all the classes from Wildlands PvP to Breakpoint without making a mess.

Especially with the classes being used for both PvE/PvP
Yeah I just don't think they should have done the shared progression and loot stuff to begin with. Like I get that character customization has become part of Ghost Recon's identity now but I don't think you need that for multiplayer for people to identify and care about the characters. Look at Siege for how people get attached and fanboy out for certain characters and they could have done that for the PVP, set characters with specific loadouts and abilities.

I mean even in Ghost War for Wildlands they let you alter the characters to whatever you want cosmetically anyway so that was also another option (though I would have preferred they kept the distinct looks of each class) because they way they've done it has had huge gameplay implications.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Why do you guys care about reviews for a Ghost Recon game? The majority of games media completely shit all over Wildlands and that was one of my favorite games from that year.

While some people prefer to make their own judgement on a game, others prefer using reviews to know if a game is worth their time.

Yeah, very unfortunate that Kirk didn't enjoy the game. Oh well

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Servers just went offline in the middle of a mission.
Fuck this game to the max.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Yeah I just don't think they should have done the shared progression and loot stuff to begin with. Like I get that character customization has become part of Ghost Recon's identity now but I don't think you need that for multiplayer for people to identify and care about the characters. Look at Siege for how people get attached and fanboy out for certain characters and they could have done that for the PVP, set characters with specific loadouts and abilities.

I mean even in Ghost War for Wildlands they let you alter the characters to whatever you want cosmetically anyway so that was also another option (though I would have preferred they kept the distinct looks of each class) because they way they've done it has had huge gameplay implications.

That's a valid argument. Though I didn't feel enticed to play Wildlands PvP simply because it had different progression system than the PvE campaign especially with the fact that playing late into its lifetime means I have to contend against high-level players.

With shared progression, it gives me some incentive to play PvP, be it for some fun or level up my character

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Some 1.0.1 patch notes. Sorry if posted before:
Patchy patchy

GENERAL:
  • Polished aim assist.
  • Improved performances and optimizations.
  • Improvements to online flows.
  • Improved game stability.
  • Improved voice chat and text chat.
UI/UX:
  • Improvements made to some menus for better understanding.
AUDIO:
  • Improved gun sounds.
PVP:
  • Polished matchmaking stability.
  • Polished Elimination and Sabotage game modes.
BUG FIXES:
  • Fixed a number of flow issues (i.e. infinite loading, online errors).
  • Fixed an issue where the mark would remain on a player longer than intended.
  • Fixed and issue where some Milestones were not completed as intended.
  • Fixed a UI issue with the end match screen page.
AI:
  • Improved enemy AI detection.
CLASS, ITEMS, AND MAG DEBUGGING:
  • Tweaked item spawns and loot placement on maps.
  • Tweaked and improved some weapon balance.
BUG FIXES:
  • Fixed issues where players would get stuck in the world or fall under the map.
  • Fixed issues where players would have character freeze or get stuck after specific actions.

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
Is it worth getting this game for the open world alone? I never really got into Wildlands but I loved the Division 2, Odyssey, and Origins for how amazingly detailed and interesting their open worlds were. This game kind of peaks my interest in that regard, especially with all of the different biomes and interior locations, but I'm still kind of on the fence given all of the mixed reviews.

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, how'd you get your GS up that quick?

Haven't done anything particularly crazy; I'd say I've focused 60% of my time on side-quests and the rest on main quests; if I ever stall out (I can't find that 1 piece of gear that is holding my average back), I'll spend the in-game currency and grab one from home base. Often times you'll find Maria sells items that can boost your gear score a lot of if you've been unlucky.

Other than that, just get into a helicopter and make sure you open every chest. When you hover over a base you can see what weapons / gear you will get at that base, so it makes sense to focus on bases that have items you don't have good versions of to help keep your gear score well-balanced.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
My point is Breakpoint appears to be everything people dislike about modern Ubi games. It's not a good look.
From what i read this game is not a good look for UBISOFT indeed Looking back at your post it's not something i could read from it.
But i apologize if that was your point. Still, there are many Ubisoft games. But i agree too many of them lose their identity.
I shall remove my post like a gent.

Last edited:

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
From what i read this game is not a good look for UBISOFT indeed Looking back at your post it's not something i could read from it.
But i apologize if that was your point. Still, there are many Ubisoft games. But i agree too many of them loose their identity.
I shall remove my post like a gent.
Hey, it's alright: we're just talking here. I wasn't offended :)

Mar 6, 2019
Is it worth getting this game for the open world alone? I never really got into Wildlands but I loved the Division 2, Odyssey, and Origins for how amazingly detailed and interesting their open worlds were. This game kind of peaks my interest in that regard, especially with all of the different biomes and interior locations, but I'm still kind of on the fence given all of the mixed reviews.

I disliked wildlands. Moderately enjoyed breakpoint beta. Absolute love the full release. Much more polished and incredible open world

Mar 6, 2019
That's a valid argument. Though I didn't feel enticed to play Wildlands PvP simply because it had different progression system than the PvE campaign especially with the fact that playing late into its lifetime means I have to contend against high-level players.

With shared progression, it gives me some incentive to play PvP, be it for some fun or level up my character

Exactly. This was a brilliant decision. And you get funds from pvp to buy gear also

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

So far the world hasn't been particularly interesting. It's pretty, for sure, but kind of.. vapid? The random civvys don't usually have much to say/do. There are a few ruins/etc you can investigate to find loot.. but I haven't seen anything particularly exciting about them. There are some animals running around but you can't skin them or hunt them or anything.

There are a number of 'investigations' to do, where you look for clues and stuff (essentially just find X thing), but I feel like those could be fleshed out better to give you more info on the world.

Haven't done anything particularly crazy; I'd say I've focused 60% of my time on side-quests and the rest on main quests; if I ever stall out (I can't find that 1 piece of gear that is holding my average back), I'll spend the in-game currency and grab one from home base. Often times you'll find Maria sells items that can boost your gear score a lot of if you've been unlucky.

Other than that, just get into a helicopter and make sure you open every chest. When you hover over a base you can see what weapons / gear you will get at that base, so it makes sense to focus on bases that have items you don't have good versions of to help keep your gear score well-balanced.

What exactly is the point of getting higher #'d gear? The different colored stuff seems to have better bonuses, but what does the overall # actually represent? It doesn't seem like you do more damage or take more damage.