• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Speaking of which, I'm surprised that there's no Performance Thread on here? Big games always get them normally?

Ubi game + Ghost Recon + ERA == low interest, at best

---------------------

I love TAC50, so good balance of pure power, range and fire rate for powerful rifle. Why it should never ever leave by 2 slot? 1 slot I keep swapping between ARs and SMGs.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I will never understand the infatuation with Wildlands setting. Breakpoint's setting is hundred times more interesting.

At least with Breakpoint, they can have the freedom to add new areas to explore and tackle whenever they can
Bolivia actually felt lived in though. This is very empty in comparison. Which obviously it should be as a remote archipelago but operating in an actual lived in locale was more interesting. Bolivia had way more going on with convoys and traffic, tons of bosses to go hunt down and a through line that was easy enough to pick up and play for small sessions but interesting enough to keep coming back to. Breakpoint barely makes you care at all to come back to it outside of shooting/stealth gameplay and loot reasons. Auroa looks way better but I wouldn't say it's more interesting, at least not enough to justify what they did.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Man, I will never understand the infatuation with Wildlands setting. Breakpoint's setting is hundred times more interesting.

At least with Breakpoint, they can have the freedom to add new areas to explore and tackle whenever they can
It doesn't feel like a real place. The civilians are either scientists or hobos. Almost all of the buildings are office complexes or wood huts. Nothing makes sense.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't feel like a real place. The civilians are either scientists or hobos. Almost all of the buildings are office complexes or wood huts. Nothing makes sense.

Eh, I've been around a good portion of the map, and there was clearly a lot of thought put into how this island operates. There is a giant solar farm, a giant wind farm, multiple residential areas, campuses, retail/recreational areas... It's more diverse than you're giving it credit for.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I've been around a good portion of the map, and there was clearly a lot of thought put into how this island operates. There is a giant solar farm, a giant wind farm, multiple residential areas, campuses, retail/recreational areas... It's more diverse than you're giving it credit for.
Is that city at the southern end actually populated?

Oct 29, 2017

I agree with you but Bolivia was kinda shit too. Just generic towns with cut and paste buildings with interiors that dont make sense. I think it was visually more interesting that Auroa but thats not saying much. Its just a big bulky world for no other reason than to just have a big bulky world. NPCs stand around or just run screaming. The worlds feel about as lived in as they do in The Crew.

I will say that Auroa's bases are more interesting to clear but thats not really saying much.

Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about this game, but watched two recommended videos last night that described it as nothing short of abysmal in just about every way from AI, dialogue, acting, gameplay mechanics, micro-transactions.

Oct 25, 2017
12 hours in, 110 gear score. Really falling into the flow with the game, but so much of it (for me, at least) is centered around the addictive nature of grinding better gear, and leveling the classes. Maxed out the Panther, now about halfway through leveling Sharpshooter. Just got my first yellow / legendary item -- the stats on it are significant, with like +8% health regen speed. Looks like there may be "exotic" items in the game, too -- like light green or red items, maybe.

Judging by how long it has taken to grind to 110, I'd say getting "raid ready" in the game is gonna take around 15-18 hours of play, assuming nothing funky going on with like a soft cap.

I'd totally have to agree with anyone who says Breakpoint is a gamey-ass game, though. Like, everything in Breakpoint is designed around the kind of player who might dig something like The Division -- so it begs the question: who, exactly, is this game even for? Is it trying to be an on-ramp for GR players to get into Division? Or is it an off-ramp for those people into GR? I have no clue, and the survival elements of the game are just kind of weird and grating since the game doesn't take any of them seriously enough.

Like, the healing stuff doesn't feel realistic at all, and I have to wonder why they put so much work into these systems that they are afraid to double down on. It might actually be fun to have a hardcore game here, but I can roll down a mountain a million times and it only takes away 1/3 of my health. Drinking water and all that doesn't make that huge of a stamina difference. The biovac (or whatever the fuck it is) system -- the tents -- don't bring much to the game. The non-guided stuff is interesting, but I can see why they switched from exploration mode to guided mode: they realized all of their game systems are more inclined towards a fast-paced experience.

Breakpoint speaks to some other game that was more tactical, harder to play, and more of a simulation, and then Ubi shat themselves at the last second and decided to make Division-light. Which, again, I'm kind of okay with, because I --like-- those kinds of games, but I'd also have been okay with whatever the original vision was going to be here. It's a shame they were so afraid to have a vision and execute on it.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know nothing about this game, but watched two recommended videos last night that described it as nothing short of abysmal in just about every way from AI, dialogue, acting, gameplay mechanics, micro-transactions.

The AI can be contextually bad. Like, you can bait the AI into doing stupid things and you can easily clear smaller camps/packs of enemies that way... but if you make a mistake in a large base-type area, their numbers alone immediately put you at a disadvantage. The game "works" in these areas, and I feel like this is Ubi's priority when it comes to encounter design/AI.

Dialogue is hit and miss, but mostly miss.

Acting is also hit and miss. Bernthal is by far the best part of the game in this department, but there are also some phenomenally bad voice actors in the game. I do not understand the Jace Skell voice choice; almost all of his lines feel unnatural when delivered and it doesn't fit the type of character he is at all. Some other minor characters are okay, others are bad. However, almost all of it is a step up over Wildlands. So... it's something?

Gameplay mechanics... This is going to differ greatly from person to person. If you liked Wildlands for what it was, then you will probably like Breakpoint. The basic gameplay mechanics - shooting, sneaking, moving around the map, etc - have all been improved. I think the loot/gear score system is misunderstood by most people who are just starting or haven't looked into it very much, which can turn people off of it. This is not a hard RPG/numbers-based system. A GS 5 rifle does the same amount of damage as a GS 100 rifle of the same type. Gear Score only affects how quickly enemies can spot you (which is always pretty fast, regardless of GS) and how much damage you can take before dying (it's not very much, regardless of GS). You aren't ever making huge, meaningful improvements with gear. The game is going to feel similar pretty much all the way through no matter what you have. It feels like they decided they needed to gate the raid somehow but also didn't want to turn Ghost Recon into a full-fledged RPG, which they haven't. It just has surface elements of one.

The MTX stuff feels a little skeevy, but I think it's being somewhat overblown by certain media personalities. Since weapon stats don't really change, you can't ever buy power for PVP, so the pay-to-win argument is DOA. These weapon blueprints are found in the world while clearing areas - just like Wildlands - and there's no push or pressure to buy them. Then we're left with the cosmetics, which I personally do not care about and have never cared about in any game. I think most of the cosmetics they have for sale look bad, but if someone else wants to spend a couple bucks to look a little different, I don't give a shit.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody knows if there's a way to make it so the game doesn't use 100% of my CPU all the time? It's annoying to not be able to watch a video on my second monitor while playing...

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone that played the Beta on Xbox One X and has the release version can comment on performance improvements?

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Heh, game keeps crashing on me in the 5 mins after bootup. Haven't had this happen in a while.

Like, 15 years

If you played the beta and installed the full game in the same directory, there's a conflicting file type.

If so, delete DataPC_TGT_WorldMap.forge in the installation folder.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
My i7-9700K seems to use about 40-60% during gameplay.

In other news, profiles appear to be online. 73% of my hits have been headshots while 73% of my kills have been from stealth. After 9 hours, I have only discovered 2.9% of the world which is kind of ridiculous....

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Playing this a little bit a time, just faffing around clearing out points on the corner of a section of a map, watching that gear score go up. Loving the stealth, also when I stuff up on stealth taking on guys that flank you is cool. It's still easy enough to let a scrub like me escape but you have to be quick to run away if it goes to hell.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
i'm trying to login and see the profile and leaderboards to unlock the rewards and they haven't unlocked at all.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
For me, on first impressions, the final version on PC runs pretty much exactly like the previous Beta version which is to say "not great"....

I haven't had time to play a ton last night but it looks like the new Nvidia drivers did improve the performances quite a bit tho so I'll have to play around with it more tonight...

Speaking of which, I'm surprised that there's no Performance Thread on here? Big games always get them normally?
Wildlands was one of the top selling games in 2017 and you absolutely would not think so reading here.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Wildlands was one of the top selling games in 2017 and you absolutely would not think so reading here.

It's a Ubisoft AAA game + Open world tactical shooter.

Add in the fact that there's audience apathy or animosity from ERA towards Ubisoft and you can see why its not talked about as much.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
So is there a definitive sniper weapon in the game? Got my first blue sniper yesterday with a range of about 250 m and it is the .... HIT1? Can't remember exactly.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The more I keep playing Breakpoint (over 50+ hours now), I seem to become less annoyed with certain mechanics like the loot system. All the things I kept complaining about in early Betas don't feel that big of a deal anymore. The gameplay loop actually works quite well now that I am used to it.

I do think that the response to micro-transactions was not completely fair. Apart from the level requirement for the raid, the grind is not an obvious requirement like it would be in a game like Diablo. I feel like I am leveling up my character by doing fun enjoyable things like exploration and completing missions. I still have the freedom to visit and complete missions in further (late game) regions without feeling underpowered. I am not stopping to kill every single enemy because I would need the XP points. In fact, I keep avoiding encounters most of the time. Leveling up is something that happens on the background and you can mostly ignore it.

I do also think that Breakpoint does offer more interesting places to explore than Wildlands did. Apart from the story missions, the rebel missions in Wildlands got repetitive really fast. This does not seem to be an issue with Breakpoint so far.

aRFbnCD.png

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
If you played Wildlands then its the same thing. Stealth is solid, you can go hours without being detected.

You can avoid all encounters on the roads.
My biggest complaint is the fact that you will be in and out of menus a lot equipping new gear and dismantling. I have no idea how Ubisoft thought that the gear management system was ok to implement, that shit sucks.

Is the gear/loot system similar is to the recent Assassin's Creed games? If so I can live with that as it never really bothered me in those games. Because the rest of the game sounds pretty good to me assuming the missions and story are at least decent and fun.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
So is there a definitive sniper weapon in the game? Got my first blue sniper yesterday with a range of about 250 m and it is the .... HIT1? Can't remember exactly.

Probably not the best advice, but I use the more compact recon sniper rifle because I like how it looks and sounds. :) I think that the with class perks, and weapon upgrades any sniper rifle can be powerful.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is the gear/loot system similar is to the recent Assassin's Creed games? If so I can live with that as it never really bothered me in those games. Because the rest of the game sounds pretty good to me assuming the missions and story are at least decent and fun.

It is pretty much the exact same system as the past two AC games.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I am only about 10 hours in, what is your prefered loop of doing things? Any particular order? I sometimes want to maximize my efficiency in leveling and sometimes just chill and play.

I start with social hub, quick camp, buy some stuff, explore, do faction missions, and then heal, craft, and use the shop at various bivouac sites. I only go back to the social hub if there is a mission there.

So far I have been mostly ignoring the story and side missions because I am saving those for larger co-op groups. I think playing in a full group co-op is my favourite way of experiencing the story content. That's how I completed most of the Widlands story.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Got a crew of wild idiots to play this with so I am super excited. I have an OG PS4 so as long as it runs half decent I am very in.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty much the exact same system as the past two AC games.

It's not like AC at all. As numbers increase on weapons and gear in AC, so does damage and defense. That does not happen in Breakpoint because Breakpoint is not an RPG. Gear Score only affects how easily enemies can perceive you and your actions. A GS10 AK47 does the same amount of damage as a GS100 AK47. Human enemies still die to one shot in the head from almost every weapon in the game, regardless of GS.

Mar 29, 2018
Interesting thank you! This raises my interest a lot actually. Didn't mind it in those and still had a fantastic time with those games. Hmmmm.
As Packy said, it's not THAT similar to the AC games. In this, they detached damage from levelling. In AC, if an enemy is way above your level, you'll do basically no damage to them. In Breakpoint, a bullet to the head kills a person no matter what, even if they're 20 levels above you.

I think high level enemies will do a lot of damage to you though.

Gear score affects other properties like visibility, bonuses and passive weapon stats.

Last edited:

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
As Packy said, it's not THAT similar to the AC games. In this, they detached damage from levelling. In AC, if an enemy is way above your level, you'll do basically no damage to them. In Breakpoint, a bullet to the head kills a person no matter what, even if they're 20 levels above you.

Gear score affects other properties like visibility, bonuses and passive weapon stats.

Oh I didn't see that post. That actually sounds better! One thing that annoyed me in Odyssey was the level scaling. It basically made leveling pointless because everyone leveled with you or was too overpowered to even bother with. It really was a bad decision compared to Odyssey. You may have just sold me on this lol.

Last question. I keep hearing comparisons to The Division, but I would strictly be playing this solo like I did with Wildlands. Is this game still fun solo or have they changed it to the point that it really needs to be co-op?

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Last question. I keep hearing comparisons to The Division, but I would strictly be playing this solo like I did with Wildlands. Is this game still fun solo or have they changed it to the point that it really needs to be co-op?

Like with Wildlands, it does not need to be co-op, although that is my preferred way of playing. I think the upcoming raid will require a group.

If you enjoyed Wildlands as a solo game, I think you will have more fun with this game in solo. Also, they are adding the AI teammates later if that is important to you.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's nothing like The Division. These claims also come from a general misunderstanding of the gear system. I've been playing it solo for about 15 hours now and I'm having a good time. I'm slightly worried that some drone enemies may be very tough for me to deal with alone later on, but I haven't hit a wall like that yet.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
How does the map size compare to wildlands? I already thought wildlands was way to big with too many "outposts" .

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Like with Wildlands, it does not need to be co-op, although that is my preferred way of playing. I think the upcoming raid will require a group.

If you enjoyed Wildlands as a solo game, I think you will have more fun with this game in solo. Also, they are adding the AI teammates later if that is important to you.

I'm actually interested in playing totally solo and without team mates, so if they add them I wonder if you have the option of not using them. Curious what that will be like. But glad to gear it should be just as fun or more even.

It's nothing like The Division. These claims also come from a general misunderstanding of the gear system. I've been playing it solo for about 15 hours now and I'm having a good time. I'm slightly worried that some drone enemies may be very tough for me to deal with alone later on, but I haven't hit a wall like that yet.

Okay good lol. Never got into Division or Destiny or any of those games so that's good to hear. After 15 hours solo if you're still having s good time that's actually impressive and good to hear. Think I'll stick with the standard edition since it unlocks soon, but yeah I'm going to buy this! Thanks folks for your help!

Mar 29, 2018
Oh I didn't see that post. That actually sounds better! One thing that annoyed me in Odyssey was the level scaling. It basically made leveling pointless because everyone leveled with you or was too overpowered to even bother with. It really was a bad decision compared to Odyssey. You may have just sold me on this lol.

Yeah, it's a great compromise imo :)

Re The Division comparisons, I'm pretty sure that's only happening because Breakpoint has a small shared space hub area where you and other players stand around. This is only a tiny, tiny place, at the middle of the map, and it's where shops exist and some missions can be activated.

The rest of map (the huge island/s space) is in your own private solo instance until you go into co-op by choice, just like Wildlands.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Yeah, it's a great compromise imo :)

Re The Division comparisons, I'm pretty sure that's only happening because Breakpoint has a small shared space hub area where you and other players stand around. This is only a tiny, tiny place, at the middle of the map, and it's where shops exist and some missions can be activated.

The rest of map (the huge island/s space) is in your own private solo instance until you go into co-op by choice, just like Wildlands.

Oh okay good to know. That's not so bad, I'll make sure to visit that spot as infrequently as possible lol. Need to be on my own for all the stealth killing :-)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before in the beta threads and I'll say this again, this game quite possibly has one of the worst reconstruction I've seen in a recent title. It's full of blocky artifacts and ghosting in unexpected areas, like it affects more than just the geometry/edges. It makes the shadows dithered and blocky as well along with alpha transparencies.

The sad thing is 60FPS is pretty much out of reach for me without it.