• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Which means there's no reason for the gear score and loot drops other than the raid. It's 100% been shoehorned in and you can tell every minute you play. It's unfortunate.
Not exactly true. Survivability goes up with better gear and attributes like drone damage, stealth, stamina, reload speed etc can all by enhanced by gear. Makes the more difficult areas and enemies a little more forgiving or detection easier to avoid. Especially when it comes to drones. It makes more sense when playing solo as the game was designed (meaning no AI teammates), obviously coop is another matter.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Come on man. Let's not spread misinformation. We have lots of people showing videos of even heavy enemies going down in 2 head shots. And the first one takes the helmet off so it's really only 1 shot to their actual head. Even the heavy enemies are like this.
You can definitely tell who actually played and who is just regurgitating things they heard verbatim lol

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the game does well and receives support for the foreseeable future but the team deserves a lot of flak for how disjointed some of these systems are and lack of a consistent design decision.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I really hope this isn't where Ubi goes downhill again. They had been doing really damn well lately with the AC games and what they have in store for the upcoming Watch_Dogs Legion, but what I've played wasn't all that and impressions on YouTube so far haven't exactly been glowing.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It'll be delicious when Breakpoint sells even more than Wildlands did. Some people here will have a serious meltdown going by this and open beta threads.

Just because the game will likely sell extremely well, does that invalidate the issues people have? I haven't really seen anyone claim the game will flop sales wise.

I mean, I fucking loved Wildlands and played all the pre-release builds of Breakpoint and I am extremely torn wether I should buy this day 1 or not. None of my friends that I played Wildlands with are interested because of the beta, and Breakpoint doesn't even have AI partners.

The game feels like different design philosophies clashing, the UI is crappy, and there's a fair bit of jank, something that Wildlands also had, but for a sequel I'd have hoped that ubisoft would've done a better job with it right off the gate, instead of hoping that future patches will smoothen things out. And the gear score is something I doubt anyone who enjoyed Wildlands asked for, and it honestly takes away more than it actually adds if you ask me. I hate having to constantly open my inventory or drop guns just beccause I found something that's higher level. And then, of course, people can say "oh but it doesn't make much difference" - oh, is that so? So why even bother implementing it? It just feels so contrived and at odds with what the game is trying to be.

And then there's smaller things like awful vehicle controls (something that has barely improved since Wildlands, even though it was always one of the main complaints) or the map feeling a lot less lived in compared to Wildlands, something that I considered a major strong point of that game.

This sequel feels like 1 step forward but 2 steps back. It doesn't feel as cohesive as Wildlands, but rather an attempt at throwing a lot of crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. It's still a very enjoyable game at its core because there isn't really anything else like this on the AAA market aside from maybe MGS 5 but yeah, it's certainly a big let down compared to what I expected from a sequel to Widllands, especially given how good Ubisoft tends to be at improving things for a sequel.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this isn't where Ubi goes downhill again. They had been doing really damn well lately with the AC games and what they have in store for the upcoming Watch_Dogs Legion, but what I've played wasn't all that and impressions on YouTube so far haven't exactly been glowing.
At worst Breakpoint is a misstep. Legion looks like it knows what it is. Breakpoint is having a bit of a identity crisis and unfortunately in the habit of making things worse by catering to complaints on the forums that push it further away from what vision they had.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
At worst Breakpoint is a misstep. Legion looks like it knows what it is. Breakpoint is having a bit of a identity crisis and unfortunately in the habit of making things worse by catering to complaints on the forums that push it further away from what vision they had.

Hmm, a case of listening too the fans a bit too much? That would be unfortunate.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Waaaait it's always online ? Even playing solo I need a constant internet connection ? Not this shit again.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Discord just confirmed that Wolves do randomly patrol the wilderness. So there's more danger out there than we encountered in beta. Great news.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the UPlay+ FAQ, it looks like the save game from the UPlay+ version of the game may not work with a purchased standard edition (if you decide to cancel UPlay+ and buy the game later):

From reading that, the save game may not load into the standard edition because of the "Ultimate" edition upgrades associated with the save file.

If that is the case, it means that the only way to continue playing a Uplay+ Breakpoint save file is to purchase the "Ultimate" edition of the game (which is $120 as opposed to $60)

I really want some clarification on this from Ubisoft.

USF

Oct 28, 2017
Ok first impression, the final version on PC looks much better than the beta

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video sums up how disappointing this game is/will be:

The game is a mess, I really don't know how they could think this was an acceptable product to release. It's puzzling.

It'll be delicious when Breakpoint sells even more than Wildlands did. Some people here will have a serious meltdown going by this and open beta threads.

also this!

Sure, I definitely hope this game does well so we can get more games filled with poor AI/animations, awful story, bad lipsync, clunky gameplay, sprinkled with micro transactions in the future!

Last edited:

speiky

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Ok first impression, the final version on PC looks much better than the beta
I hope someone can and will say that about the PS4 (pro) version as well. Open beta looked really washed out. I'm contemplating if I want to keep my gold edition or not.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Played a bit on PC but game crashes to desktop every 5 minutes. Seems like i'm not the only one according to reddit.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Played a bit on PC but game crashes to desktop every 5 minutes. Seems like i'm not the only one according to reddit.

You need to remove the file called DataPC_TGT_WorldMap.forge in Breakpoint's install directory as a workaround as the crash issue is caused from installing the full game on the same directory where you installed the beta.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
You need to remove the file called DataPC_TGT_WorldMap.forge in Breakpoint's install directory as a workaround as the crash issue is caused from installing the full game on the same directory where you installed the beta.
I already checked this. The file isn't there and i installed it in a different directory.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just starting to look into this game, dont know anything about the betas... did any of the betas go into the multiplayer at all? If so, thoughts on it?

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playing now via VPN. Hopefully its better than the god awful betas. Only playing this via uPlay+ or else this would be the only game ever in the whole series I wasnt going to buy. Being a lone wolf for starters is not what this series is about, but we'll see.
Which region if I may ask? Maybe I'm going to go with Uplay+ and send my Xbox copy back...

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Reading the UPlay+ FAQ, it looks like the save game from the UPlay+ version of the game may not work with a purchased standard edition (if you decide to cancel UPlay+ and buy the game later):

From reading that, the save game may not load into the standard edition because of the "Ultimate" edition upgrades associated with the save file.

If that is the case, it means that the only way to continue playing a Uplay+ Breakpoint save file is to purchase the "Ultimate" edition of the game (which is $120 as opposed to $60)

I don't think there's any clarification required.

I had save files for both AC Syndicate and Odyssey (standard editions) and attempting to activate the Gold/Ultimate edition of the games on Uplay+ gave me a warning about my old saves being incompatible if I play with a different edition (that is, once I "upgrade" my saves, I can no longer access it if I went back to the standard editions, which makes sense).

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Discord just confirmed that Wolves do randomly patrol the wilderness. So there's more danger out there than we encountered in beta. Great news.
I played about an hour (thanks to the xbox region switch) and came across 2 patrolling when running around accidentally aggro'd em had a helicopter after me and shit went sideways REAL quick.

I'm loving it so far. I liked having AI at a certain point in Wildlands but the game ended up becoming sync these guys they die, sync these guys they die and you can still do that with a drone but playing solo feels better especially when you start getting outnumbered and are getting chased you feel like the walls are closing in.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
my weird take, after a few hours on the open beta? as a strictly solo player, who loved the first division game, gave a hard pass on wilderness, & wasn't all that crazy about division 2, breakpoint actually felt really comfortable to me. as in, more enjoyable than division 2...

admittedly, i have no previous experience with the ghost recon franchise other than wildlands. &, having experienced similar situations, i can absolutely sympathize with those who do have ties to the franchise, & are disappointed in the direction that it's taken. but, from my own, selfish point of view? i went from 'get when cheaper' to 'very possible buy'...

&, no, i'm not exactly thrilled about being the willing subject/victim of whatever kind of ubisoft subliminal manipulation is going on when it comes to the design choices of this particular game. but, hey, it is what it is. i'm only human. i'm flawed...

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Oh shit. Maybe I'm staying with the Xbox version after all then lol

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any clarification required.

I had save files for both AC Syndicate and Odyssey (standard editions) and attempting to activate the Gold/Ultimate edition of the games on Uplay+ gave me a warning about my old saves being incompatible if I play with a different edition (that is, once I "upgrade" my saves, I can no longer access it if I went back to the standard editions, which makes sense).

So to be clear you are saying:

If I play the Uplay+ version of the game and want to continue after cancelling, I need to pay $120 for the Ultimate edition?

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
my weird take, after a few hours on the open beta? as a strictly solo player, who loved the first division game, gave a hard pass on wilderness, & wasn't all that crazy about division 2, breakpoint actually felt really comfortable to me. as in, more enjoyable than division 2...

admittedly, i have no previous experience with the ghost recon franchise other than wildlands. &, having experienced similar situations, i can absolutely sympathize with those who do have ties to the franchise, & are disappointed in the direction that it's taken. but, from my own, selfish point of view? i went from 'get when cheaper' to 'very possible buy'...

&, no, i'm not exactly thrilled about being the willing subject/victim of whatever kind of ubisoft subliminal manipulation is going on when it comes to the design choices of this particular game. but, hey, it is what it is. i'm only human. i'm flawed...

Way I see it, As long you're having fun with the game and enjoying it, that's all that matters

Mar 29, 2018
The game is a mess, I really don't know how they could think this was an acceptable product to release. It's puzzling.

Sure, I definitely hope this game does well so we can get more games filled with poor AI/animations, awful story, bad lipsync, clunky gameplay, sprinkled with micro transactions in the future!
In spite of all those things, Wildlands was an absolute hoot. I'm sure Breakpoint will be too. Like, I had more fun with Wildlands than with MGSV.

Sometimes polish != fun.

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
I had a lot of fun with the beta but there is definitely some jank here...especially coming off of Division 2. Hopefully they can iron out some of it post launch.

FYI - Amazon has it for $50 + another $10 credit for prime members.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oof okay. Guess I'll stay with the Xbox version then. Don't want to sub forever and don't want to fuck up my saves.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video sums up how disappointing this game is/will be:

I have a few problems with this video. It's clear the person didn't like the game, and they're absolutely allowed to, however there are parts of the video where he dings GR:B for not being realistic, then a little later dings it for being too realistic. I get that this is a massive departure from the series, and it will have a lot of people who dislike it but a 20 minute video going through a shopping list of conflicting complaints might not be the best litmus to decide if this is for you or not.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Whew man I am happy I thought this through a bit before paying $15 to play early.

I would have been livid if I found out later and had like 30 hours of progress lost unless I ponied up an additional $120 to continue playing.

Is there any way to not install the ultimate edition DLC in the UPlay+ version and have the save work in the standard edition?

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played about an hour (thanks to the xbox region switch) and came across 2 patrolling when running around accidentally aggro'd em had a helicopter after me and shit went sideways REAL quick.

I'm loving it so far. I liked having AI at a certain point in Wildlands but the game ended up becoming sync these guys they die, sync these guys they die and you can still do that with a drone but playing solo feels better especially when you start getting outnumbered and are getting chased you feel like the walls are closing in.
Yeah that feeling is what I want from Breakpoint. Nice to hear it's there at moments.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go. I will be on tonight at midnight here in NY.
Figure i will go with the 1 year pass cause i played WL on and off for about 1.5 years, and support was good.

Reviewers are gonna slap the shit outta this game, and ubi deserves it, but there is no real open world 3rd person tact game out there on consoles so this will just have to hit the spot for now, flaws and all.

Last edited:

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I liked wildlands, but I felt like every encounter was just that after a while. I still had fun, though

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm hearing about the Gear score not working as it typically does is actually good news, at least for me.

I've certainly played more than my fair share of games where it works the way you'd expect: Division 2 and Destiny come to mind almost immediately, but really, I've probably played tens of these types of games. Seeing it here kind of threw me for a bit of a loop: isn't this supposed to be more tactical? How does something like the chase of Gear score combine with the need to have head shots actually *be* headshots?

The implementation here is horizontal progression dressed up as vertical progression. This... probably isn't actually a bad compromise; most of the people chasing larger and larger numbers don't actually take the time to determine how those numbers are really affecting their play sessions, and if they do, it's usually for reasons that turn out to be less than fun (ie: not because you're *too* powerful, but instead because you're *too* weak!). This way, people who need the proverbial carrot on a stick that is manifestly statistical can still chase after it, and those things can still matter on the periphery, but then -- more in the vein of something like Sea of Thieves -- you can invite friends to play with you and not have that "Oh shit" moment as your plans come crumbling down while you realize they actually *can't* play with you; rather, you have to play with them. And anyone who has climbed up a steep mountain of gear score knows that the sheen on your pretty armor rubs off real fast when you're stuck doing remedial work. In fact, in a worst case scenario, you end up hating the disparity, and becoming bored by how easy everything has become.

The best games always try to provide a pathway where you can still by challenged regardless of your position on a game's skill and gear ladder. And, those same games, do best when they can include everyone on that journey, especially allowing for those things when the journey starts at different times. We've just seen a huge paradigm shift in Destiny 2 where the developers finally saw that after such a lengthy power grind, it was fine to let even the new players be fundamentally powerful with respect to the base game.

Long-winded way of saying I'm actually more interested with a Gear system that has "score", but doesn't shut the door on players with exception of specialized content (namely, raids, in which Gear score will likely be more of an indicator of time spent and familiarity than anything else). Sure, that score will also have an effect, holistically, on other things, but the idea that your friend who just started can actually adventure with you from the earliest moments? That's cool. And UbiSoft as a company are sort of uniquely positioned to enable systems that work for most players.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017

Its funny, last night after the beta got pulled i started a new save in WL.
Instead this time i would play WL the way i have been playing the BP beta with no AI sync.
Made WL feel like a totally different game. Ended up playing 5 hours straight. Felt refreshing being the one that pulled the trigger.