• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Looks pretty much like the same thing they been doing in all of their games for the past several years. This is one of the reasons I usually wait till ubisofts games are deep discounted before I get them. I know they have the pass thing so I might just try that when all of this years games are out so I can give them as little as possible.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
You could earn everything in Battlefront 2 too by just playing. You just needed to play 4000 hours.

People really don't get the full picture. Impressive.
While I understand the sentiment, that totally misrepresents how the game actually works. Every weapon can be found in the world in a locked spawn, there is no grind to find the weapon or blueprint except for exploration.

4bUV7Ls.gif

Enjoy replaying the same missions over and over again to upgrade your dong-rifle to 500% damage, so you can do the end-game content.

Say it loud: pride and accomplishment!
What? That's not even how the game works.

Last edited:

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The good thing about all this is I don't even care anymore. Any game published by Ubisoft and the likes automatically goes on my gaming trash pile. Not even for free.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yOu CaN eArN eVeRyThiNg iNgAmE
-> Yes if you have no job and no life and can afford to grind 24/7 for 8 weeks

What an ignorant post. But hey, since you were called on it and just moved the goalposts instead of admitting as much, I don't expect you to care.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Everything non-cosmetic can be found in the world so all it is a shortcut for the lazy gamers. Am I fan of time saver MTX? Not really, but at the same time it's not really locking them behind a pay wall so it doesn't really matter in the end. People who choose to buy weapons or attachments are honestly just doing themselves a disservice but that's their choice.

In the end, all these MTX are optional so it isn't that bad.

"Everything can be earned in game" is the most fucking tired excuse being thrown out every single time this happens.
People like you can't seem to grasp that this usually means an ungodly amount of time for what is not a really deep game.

Also, this has taken a once enjoyed series to something I don't want to buy, so to other people who say it doesn't effect me; well it doesn't effect me like that but it does mean I can't just sit down and enjoy a new ghost recon game without all the bullshit and tailored experience around a store. So in a way, it does.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
"Everything can be earned in game" is the most fucking tired excuse being thrown out every single time this happens.
People like you can't seem to grasp that this usually means an ungodly amount of time for what is not a really deep game.

Also, this has taken a once enjoyed series to something I don't want to buy, so to other people who say it doesn't effect me; well it doesn't effect me like that but it does mean I can't just sit down and enjoy a new ghost recon game without all the bullshit and tailored experience around a store. So in a way, it does.
Except, there is no grind to get the weapons and attachments except for exploring the world. You don't have to replay a mission 20 times hoping for a certain weapon. It's a guaranteed drop if it says on the map (or mission marker).

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
It's pretty much the same like Wildlands. There have been some great looking cosmetic items locked behind overpriced lootboxes, which was quite frustrating considering the game having such a great character creator. I don't understand who would buy those packs to be honest - they're all terrible value.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Except, there is no grind to get the weapons and attachments except for exploring the world. You don't have to replay a mission 20 times hoping for a certain weapon. It's a guaranteed drop if it says on the map (or mission marker).

Okay why do you keep responding to everyone about weapons? Pretty sure each and every one of us said "everything can be earned in game" which isn't just weapons. Stop it.

Oct 27, 2017
What? That's not even how the game works.

OK, tell me that this is not true:
• You have weapon rarities: clown colors from basic to exotic/legendary whatever word they use
• You have weapon rank: you upgrade the weapon and it becomes rank 2, and then you upgrade to another rank
• You salvage useless weapons to have material to upgrade weapons
• You have perks: some stats rolled onto your weapon

You tell me right here, right now. Will I get the specific fully upgraded legendary weapon with the desired perks by completing a specific mission.

Lexington train, Dark Zone Farm. Nice memories.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Okay why do you keep responding to everyone about weapons? Pretty sure each and every one of us said "everything can be earned in game" which isn't just weapons. Stop it.
You responded to me and I was talking about how the non-cosmetic MTX is just a shortcut for the stuff that already exists in the world. The non-cosmetic MTX are all just weapons and attachments therefore....that's why I'm mentioning it.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
You responded to me and I was talking about how the non-cosmetic MTX is just a shortcut for the stuff that already exists in the world. The non-cosmetic MTX are all just weapons and attachments therefore....that's why I'm mentioning it.

Weapon Upgrades?
Skill Points?
Crafting Materials?

I don't understand what the first one means, does it mean making a green into a blue and a blue into ??.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Weapon Upgrades?
Skill Points?
Crafting Materials?

I don't understand what the first one means, does it mean making a green into a blue and a blue into ??.
It gives you the crafting materiel to upgrade a weapon of a certain type to the next Mark.. Again though, you responded to me first and I was talking about Weapons MTX. You don't get to change the subject and be like "We aren't talking about that!"

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I want to be excited for Watch_Dogs Legion but with this kind of shit I don't know man. Thankfully it's singleplayer, but also online (Co op). We'll see.

Correct me if I'm wrong, AC Origins and Oddysey are life service games too, right? But done right.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everything non-cosmetic can be found in the world so all it is a shortcut for the lazy gamers. Am I fan of time saver MTX? Not really, but at the same time it's not really locking them behind a pay wall so it doesn't really matter in the end. People who choose to buy weapons or attachments are honestly just doing themselves a disservice but that's their choice.

In the end, all these MTX are optional so it isn't that bad.

The fact that the game is deliberately made worse to make MTX attractive in the first place is not optional. Shadow of War was a grindfest in the endgame before the MTX was taken out, and now it's much better. Diablo 3 deliberately made drops lean toward terrible until the real-money auction house was taken out, now drops are focused on the character you play instead of having random stats your character doesn't use (intelligence on barbarian weapons, my heart). At one point you couldn't even get gold from broken pots and shelves in the game (but you could get it from the auction house, why aren't you using the auction house).

If there is a thing called 'time-savers' then the publisher wants to sell it, because they deliberately made the base game a slog in order to sell it.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
With Assassin Creed Odyssey, there is so much content to do that you didn't need the XP boost the game offers as microtransactions and at least at higher levels the crafting components became generous. The really only left certain exotics that you paid real money for or used that one alternate currency I never bothered to earn. That kind of level of microtransactions I can live with.. But Ghost Recon sounds far far worse.

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so all that bla bla boils down too?
no exclusive p2w mtx, gameplay wise everything can also be earned by simply playing the game.
the thing you can't get is exclusive cosmetic mtx.

wow, gaMeRS riSe uP!

Oct 26, 2017

Good video. I think I will probably stop buying Ubisoft games on day one. Maybe I should stop buying Ubisoft games at all. I spent 150 fucking hours on AC Odyssey, and if I'm being honest, I had to force myself to complete the last DLC. Story was trash, and you really are doing always the same crap over and over.

And even after those 150 fucking hours I did not have enough in-game money / resources to fully upgrade my ship, or all my legendary weapons, I also didn't reach max level, likely because I did not have the +50% XP bonus that you can buy for real money in the store. Fuck Ubisoft.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know everyone is all "boo we hate monetization" around these parts, but who cares if someone wants to buy a better class of weapons with real money so they can have an easier time with the single player? Multiplayer normalizes the entire match's average levels and nerfs or buffs any guns that fall under that.

This is literally so that people can get better gear without hunting for it. If you don't care about cosmetics, don't buy them, but for all the guns and parts this is just paying to unlock them instead of spending hours going to look for the guaranteed drops. Once someone puts up a guide with exact locations I'm sure sales will slow down. Personally I have very little time to play, and am looking forward to digging into this game, and I'd honestly considered buying a gun or two above my current level so that I can play more with the time I can allocate.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I know everyone is all "boo we hate monetization" around these parts, but who cares if someone wants to buy a better class of weapons with real money so they can have an easier time with the single player? Multiplayer normalizes the entire match's average levels and nerfs or buffs any guns that fall under that.

This is literally so that people can get better gear without hunting for it.

Because the monetization is the main reason it's a loot shooter in the first place. They will sell more microtransactions with these systems than they did with the systems in Wildlands. It impacts the design of the game.

That's why there's a social space. That's why the game is always online. That's why it wasn't going to have squadmate AI until everyone complained.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
It gives you the crafting materiel to upgrade a weapon of a certain type to the next Mark.. Again though, you responded to me first and I was talking about Weapons MTX. You don't get to change the subject and be like "We aren't talking about that!"

Literally, the first line I quoted from you says "Everything non-cosmetic can be found in the world so all it is a shortcut for the lazy gamers."
Because I'm sure as shit a few of these items you still need to earn in game by spending time.

Edit: Also, the confusion around the entire meaning of in game, unlocked, mtx etc is making this conversation really hard.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Because the monetization is the main reason it's a loot shooter in the first place. They will sell more microtransactions with these systems than they did with the systems in Wildlands. It impacts the design of the game.

That's why there's a social space. That's why the game is always online. That's why it wasn't going to have squadmate AI until everyone complained.

Pretty much this, but after years and years of games doing it, high profile games through the years getting shit for it, plenty of examples of games doing it just for the MTX you still get people defending it. Dumb as bricks I say. They can't see how it's just another step in the wrong direction before even they start to hate it.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much this, but after years and years of games doing it, high profile games through the years getting shit for it, plenty of examples of games doing it just for the MTX you still get people defending it. Dumb as bricks I say. They can't see how it's just another step in the wrong direction before even they start to hate it.

While I don't appreciate being called "dumb as a brick" nor would anyone else who isn't bothered by this, I have to ask: if you care this much why not just skip this game? Clearly you've an issue with it that I and others do not. Why not just go about your day and find a different game to play? Have you tried Control yet?

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't appreciate being called "dumb as a brick" nor would anyone else who isn't bothered by this, I have to ask: if you care this much why not just skip this game? Clearly you've an issue with it that I and others do not. Why not just go about your day and find a different game to play? Have you tried Control yet?

If you don't like it, just don't buy.

Solution to all of the problems in gaming.

Thank you, oh wise man.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017

I am skipping it.
Control is probably my number 1 game of the year!

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Naturally there are people excusing this crap. We gamers are part of the blame as we are feeding into this crap sadly.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm honestly shocked this isn't a free to play game and they're asking $60 for it. Like wtf dude

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was considering getting this for my new PC once I finish building it. But now it can fuck right off.

Thanks for this thread, OP.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So they basically managed to put in every possible way of monetization except loot boxes.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Literally everything in the OP's screenshots can be unlocked by playing without spending a dime of real or virtual currency.
You can earn individual gear by raiding specific locations in the game world, or by going to the in-game currency shop (no real money required). I have 70k currency after playing 5 hours. An attachment is about 3k, and a weapon is less than that.

But I suppose this will be a controversial issue for people who haven't played the game for months to come, regardless.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The fact that the game is deliberately made worse to make MTX attractive in the first place is not optional. Shadow of War was a grindfest in the endgame before the MTX was taken out, and now it's much better. Diablo 3 deliberately made drops lean toward terrible until the real-money auction house was taken out, now drops are focused on the character you play instead of having random stats your character doesn't use (intelligence on barbarian weapons, my heart). At one point you couldn't even get gold from broken pots and shelves in the game (but you could get it from the auction house, why aren't you using the auction house).

If there is a thing called 'time-savers' then the publisher wants to sell it, because they deliberately made the base game a slog in order to sell it.
The problem with D3's drops was not the RM auction house, it was the gold auction house.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
My brain turns off when I see these screens with a bunch of cards and colors and bullshit. Also the concept of them saying "time savers" is offensive just spit in my face then, that would be more honest.

Last edited:

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Literally everything in the OP's screenshots can be unlocked by playing without spending a dime of real or virtual currency.
You can earn individual gear by raiding specific locations in the game world, or by going to the in-game currency shop (no real money required). I have 70k currency after playing 5 hours. An attachment is about 3k, and a weapon is less than that.

But I suppose this will be a controversial issue for people who haven't played the game for months to come, regardless.

I think maybe we need games to show drop rates, the average time to earn and item and real world costs for all currency, not an exchange rate.

Talking about raids and unlocking by playing needs a baseline for us to understand what those terms actually mean.

Also talking about currency after five hours during launch doesnt mean the prices and drop rates won't change over time

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I think maybe we need games to show drop rates, the average time to earn and item and real world costs for all currency, not an exchange rate.

Talking about raids and unlocking by playing needs a baseline for us to understand what those terms actually mean.

Also talking about currency after five hours during launch doesnt mean the prices and drop rates won't change over time
By "raid" I mean you go to a fort and open a chest, not an MMO-style raid with random loot.
Everything meaningful in this game (weapon blueprints, attachments, non-paid cosmetics) has a 100% drop rate and a set location.
If you don't want to go through the literal 5 minutes it takes to fly to a fort and open the chest (seriously, this is how long it takes if you set the difficulty to Arcade), then you can pay real money.
This is exactly how it worked in Wildlands as well.

There are actual raids in the endgame but I'm not there yet. You have to be level 150. I'm already level 80ish day 1.