• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the quality of GoT's score is really being swept under the radar somehow compared to the rest of the game. I find it to be truly remarkable. It's some exceptionally moving and at times exhilarating stuff, and impeccably produced. It's definitely sticking with me, at least!

I know these are long pieces and not everyone is going to really bother but do me a favor and listen to Shurai.

I feel like the music in the game is good enough to stand entirely on its own. Shigeru Umebayashi's compositions really stood out to me. A fantastic blend of classical Japanese instruments and sound mixed with a modern sensibility (and with some Mongolian throat singing thrown into the mix). I guess it's simply the setting that brings it out in the music but it's a really unique overall sound in today's current gaming landscape. It's a truly ace effort and possibly the game's best and most unrecognized feature.

Agree or disagree?

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The soundtrack was one of the game's features I was looking forward to the most, so absolutely agree. But then, I'm a sucker for traditional Japanese instrumentation, so there was never really much chance I would dislike it.

Have to say, though, I know there's more music in the game than is represented in the official soundtrack release, but I can't seem to find more than that.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Agree completely, it's an amazing soundtrack.
I just wish it was a little more present in the game, I am still in the first act though, this could change.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Yeah i love it. In general Sucker punch's soundtracks are fantastic overall.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely agree. Way too many game's this gen, the music is just way too quiet, or doesn't stand out enough.

Ghost of Tsushima's OST is incredible!

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to add that aside from Shurai, also listen to Seiiki. This is truly beautiful music.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Haven't played it but the bits of the OST I listened to on Spotify sounded really great.

Also, I loved Mac Quayle's contribution to the Last of Us OST.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
100% agreed, it not only compliments the moment to moment gameplay, but elevates it.

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
Umebayashis composotions are grand, but Eshkeri comes into his own as well. Its just all around fantastic.

My favorite of his Lord Shimura:

Nov 4, 2017
It sounds amazing cranked through my floor standing speakers on those rare occasions where I'm home alone. It is very well done, probably the best I've encountered since God of War.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
It is so good. Sony making sure their first party titles get a firm backing on soundtracks this generation can not be complimented enough

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing for 10 hours, can't say I ever noticed anything special about the soundtrack.

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree OP, I mentioned this in the main OT yesterday. It's easily on a par with Hollywood blockbusters.

My favourite has to be Seiiki, gives me serious goosebumps.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
One of the songs reminds me of Westworld season 2 when they are in the shogun world. It's a reimagining of paint it black.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018

I love this one, especially towards the end. There is another common combat track, but I can't seem to find it. Either way, tough year for best OST imo.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its really good, but it's also most AAA stuff is good. It's as good as God of War maybe better. nier automata, Witcher 3 and rdr2 still takes the cake in AAA scores this generation

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
The aesthetics of this game make up for the things that disappoint me. I love the atmosphere in GoT.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Pre-orders are available for the 3xLP vinyl version on Milan Records, for those that are interested:

milan-records.myshopify.com

Ghost of Tsushima (Music from the Video Game) - 3X LP | Milan Records

Shop for Ghost of Tsushima (Music from the Video Game) - 3X LP at Milan Records, specializing in film scores and soundtrack albums.

Yep, I just preordered this. Seemed like the perfect vinyl to spin on a cool autumn morning. Can't wait.

I'll also probably pick up the CD/Digital at some point as well, so I can play in my car.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Sounds really good have yet to play the game myself but I do have to say I'm still waiting for the day when a game or movie comes out and positively subverts expectations in the music department where you have a game that you'd assume would have the type of soundtrack to match the setting etc but instead it feels out of place at first but then as you play or experience it sort of starts to develop and identity with that music-it would make the experience unique in a way.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Been playing for 10 hours, can't say I ever noticed anything special about the soundtrack.
Same boat.

I've fully explored 2/3 of the first region, done a few story missions but I cannot remember anything at all.

I'd consider myself a big fan of game OST's too, loved BOTW's soundtrack etc but this hasn't been memorable at all for me so far.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing. One of my favorite gaming OSTs this gen for sure. I don't know how some of the people in this thread can even say nothing about it was memorable. The music cue in the title card drop alone is god tier and that's within the first hour of the game. If you don't get chills during that part, I don't know what to say.

Also loved the track from the Ghost of Yarikawa mission:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Makes the title drop sequence incredible lol

Also love this sequence at 7:46,

Title cards is one of the best ever in a game. Got goosebumps during that sequence when I first played, and now watching it again.

I think the game would have been cool if the black bars would have stayed the whole time like the Order. Really feels like you're playing a film much of the game.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah the music has been great. But also when the music kicks in good as well. Getting on the horse then hearing some shamisen cords all of a sudden. That's the good shit

now I kinda wish the audio mix was better though. I feel like with headphones, I have to adjust the volume a few times per sit down depending on if I'm doing a quest or not

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Same boat.

I've fully explored 2/3 of the first region, done a few story missions but I cannot remember anything at all.

I'd consider myself a big fan of game OST's too, loved BOTW's soundtrack etc but this hasn't been memorable at all for me so far.

Third lol. There are a few stand outs but tbh I don't even notice the music most of the time. There's maybe only 2 songs in particular that I find memorable. I'd say it doesn't even remotely compare to LOU2 OST but they're so different I don't think it would be a fair comparison.

I will give SP props for making me feel like I'm actually in a samurai film though.

Oct 27, 2017
It's very effective, but I can't hum a single melody from it. Great ambient music, though. I just wish more game composers understood melody like Nobuo Uematsu and newer composers like Gareth Coker.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
What I've heard is good but I don't get the stance of "best heard from a AAA production in a long while" FF7R was only a few months ago, TLOU Part 2 was last month, hell even the DOOM Eternal Soundtrack was this year. We've gotten a bunch of kick ass soundtracks this gen, more specifically I think the Witcher 3 kicked things off for great OST's this gen and that was what 2015? 2016 had DOOM. 2017 had Horizon, BotW, NieR Automata, Persona 5. 2018 had God of War, Spider-Man. 2019 had Death Stranding, KH3, and DMC5.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
The music is truly astounding, and has elevated my playing experience into the freakin stratosphere! I can't wait to listen to the soundtrack on its own when I'm done the game.
They did a truly phenomenal job weaving the music into gameplay both during normal play and exploration but also in moments of pure spectacle.

Game deserves recognition and accolades for its music.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Title cards is one of the best ever in a game. Got goosebumps during that sequence when I first played, and now watching it again.

I think the game would have been cool if the black bars would have stayed the whole time like the Order. Really feels like you're playing a film much of the game.

Yeah started playing last night that shit was dope.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the quality of GoT's score is really being swept under the radar somehow compared to the rest of the game. I find it to be truly remarkable. It's some exceptionally moving and at times exhilarating stuff, and impeccably produced. It's definitely sticking with me, at least!

I know these are long pieces and not everyone is going to really bother but do me a favor and listen to Shurai.

I feel like the music in the game is good enough to stand entirely on its own. Shigeru Umebayashi's compositions really stood out to me. A fantastic blend of classical Japanese instruments and sound mixed with a modern sensibility (and with some Mongolian throat singing thrown into the mix). I guess it's simply the setting that brings it out in the music but it's a really unique overall sound in today's current gaming landscape. It's a truly ace effort and possibly the game's best and most unrecognized feature.

Agree or disagree?

agreed