• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Please do. The one thing that bugged me about Prey was the Comanche dub was just a dub and not the actors speaking it on screen even tho it WAS the actors speaking on the dub

More details from the interview.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Important quote at the end though.
"No one is going to give me $200 million to do a technology-push movie without speaking English. I get it. So, I have to be clever and I have to figure out what's fiduciarily responsible to the property, to the studio and still get what I want out of it and still make it something epic. Again, big challenge, man. "

Oct 29, 2017
This should absolutely happen. Having an all-Japanese cast is an absolute must, but even if they were to speak English, it would still be very strange. Hope this actually happens.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it's going to be filmed in Japanese and then they'll dub it to English and CGI the mouth flaps.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Gotta be honest, if the entire movie is subbed, I don't think I'll watch in theaters. My eyes aren't good enough to read subtitles that long from that far away. Obviously, I'd have to see trailers to make my final decision, but it is a a bit of a negative for me personally.

May 26, 2018
Shoot in Japanese, dub in English, release in English countries widely with dub but also have alternate screenings in Japanese at places like Alamo Drafthouse.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
User Banned (2 weeks): Thread derailing; history of similar infractions
What a hilarious turd this IP is

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Prey has shown that this is doable and many people have gone back to watch the movie another time in Comanche (they also used AI to alter the actors lips to make it sync up, same tech as FFVIIR I think) - obviously there would have to be an English version, but this seems very doable, especially on streaming/bluray/digital release, and with how many people watch anime subbed vs dubbed

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
MV5BYTBiYzY4M2ItOTRkMC00ZGExLWEzMzYtNjJhZTE0Y2VkMTE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTQwMDU1MQ@@._V1_.jpg

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool if they collabed with a Japanese fight choreographer too: Kensuke Sonomura (Hydra), Kenji Tanigaki (Rurouni Kenshin), Yugo Sakamoto (Baby Assassins), etc., all premiere craftsmen of modern Japanese action choreo/stuntwork. Those guys with a Hollywood buget and a director who knows how to shoot action with clarity would be incredible; Kenji Tanigaki worked on Snake Eyes but his choreo was butchered in the edit

Philosopher

Sep 5, 2018
Haven't played the game, but excited to watch this movie if it truly is this. Need more historic epics in my life

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No? Are you?

Is this a relevant question in my response to my argument? No, it isn't. There are plenty of good pieces out there written both by people who are and aren't Japanese about the issues with Ghost of Tsushima. I'd encourage you to read them rather than just playing the 'outraged weeb' card.

www.polygon.com

Ghost of Tsushima, Kurosawa, and the political myth of the samurai

Unpacking the baggage of well-intentioned homage

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great. I hope the Jin actor in the game tries to audition for the same role. He was fantastic.

The Quentulated Mox

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 10, 2022
....an all-asian (accounting for the Mongol characters) cast should have been expected from day one. what, was somebody actually considering putting a random white dude in a samurai story in 2022?

Det

Jul 30, 2020
No? Are you?

Is this a relevant question in my response to my argument? No, it isn't. There are plenty of good pieces out there written both by people who are and aren't Japanese about the issues with Ghost of Tsushima. I'd encourage you to read them rather than just playing the 'outraged weeb' card.

www.polygon.com

Ghost of Tsushima, Kurosawa, and the political myth of the samurai

Unpacking the baggage of well-intentioned homage

I am as a diaspora and with family in Japan. I've read them as well, and have differing opinions given my conversations with friends & family back in Japan and with family that lives in the West. So kindly piss off with the "weeb outrage" energy card out the gate.

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
I mean these laughable claims to authenticity amidst a culturally appropriative hodgepodge of a game made by Western creatives

The western creatives that got praise by a lot of respectable japanese gaming creators and even are ambassadors of the island?

Always funny when a non-japanese person comes out calling this game cultural appropriation.