• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
GoT earned a good spot and I feel bad that if devs read into the voting drama, they may not feel they earned their praise.

Mylonite

May 15, 2019
I wouldn't take these awards so seriously. Fan votes mean as much as user submitted scores. That said, good for GoT. I see no reason to be upset with it taking this category.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
This was my GOTY over FF7 Remake and cemented Sucker Punch as my favorite game studio. They have yet to release a game that I didn't absolutely love.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That really sucks there are people out there with such hate for the last of us, what should be a joyous award is tainted. Ghost of Tsushima is an outstanding game. I honestly do not know which of the two I'd give GOTY to. They're incredible games.

Oct 31, 2017
Really fantastic game and well deserved. I would have a hard time choosing between it and Hades though. EDIT: actually I woulda went with DOOM: Eternal. So many good choices!

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved, enjoyed both GoT and TLOU 2 equally, maybe TLOU 2 just a smidge more. That being said that TLOU 2 hate is crazy but I doubt Neil is losing sleep off this lol. Those peeps on 4chan can watch him and his team walk up to the stage at the TGAs and the dozens of GOTY awards they'll win across the web.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
TLOU probably would have won if Neil did not make that tweet. Should have waited until the vote was over. I voted for Hades, hopefully it wins GOTY.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez. this inmediately went into "haters, 4chan, politics" just by default of TLoU2 not winning. Can it be that simple people liked more GoS? Also, there's the recencye ffect, and Tsushima released the latter. I recall that when Tsushima released, a lot of the buzz for TLoU2 went down quickly.
No. We saw a reflection of the pure zeitgeist before the agendas were thrown into the mix. TLoU2 was winning.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's a good enough game that I enjoyed my time with, but it must be uncomfortable for everyone involved to have the win associated with briganding and drama

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
gonna keep believing in hades, i reject you devil
53x4ullvcxc11-d6e4590fc745f6c860aca035e95b520b.gif

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Neil Druckmann strikes again !

It would be funny if Hades lost because the Jury felt they had to balance the player's voice award fuckery.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Neil played himself but I absolutely believe GoT deserves GotY. First game I've platinumed in years.

Jun 24, 2019
Congratulations, it's a shame I couldn't play GoT during summer but I can't wait to try it out in xmas. My personal GOTY is Hades.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty uncomfortable how many people are willing to ignore what obviously happened here and just write the "controversy" off as TLOU2 fans being salty. Really not a great look.

There are obviously a lot of people who love GoT. It is a game that many are enthusiastic about. However, you shouldn't pretend that a movement primarily motivated by bigotry didn't influence the decision here. It clearly did.

In general, the amount of people downplaying the organized hate movement that has been targeted at TLOU2 since day 1 is really disheartening. You can dislike the game for non-bigoted reasons and still refuse to stand with those people, guys.

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
Absolutely agree with this. and I voted for GOT without knowing the 4Chan stuff.

Also fun fact, there is is LGBTQ representation in Ghost of Tsushima. I'm starting to think people are just salty that TLOU2 didn't win. Actually, they are.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely agree with this. and I voted for GOT without knowing the 4Chan stuff.

Also fun fact, there is is LGBTQ representation in Ghost of Tsushima. I'm starting to think people are just salty that TLOU2 didn't win. Actually, they are.
For real. Both the TLOU2 haters and the TLOU2 fanboys are insufferable lol

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Neil Druckmann strikes again !

It would be funny if Hades lost because the Jury felt they had to balance the player's voice award fuckery.
I mean why is it just assumed now that the majority of critics for sure are picking Hades? It's getting some love, but nothing to indicate the vast majority.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

There were hate campaigns after Left Behind and e3 2018 just for Ellie kissing a girl. Like that is very well known. Ellie being the protagonist specifically is the reason why. That certain segment of people said GoT was great for having a straight, cis guy protagonist.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
I don't really think TGAs likes 'shock' winners.
You said it yourself: 33% of the winners deviates from the majority winners.
When another game (probably Hades) wins at TGA this year and TLOU2 doesn't --> This will be 4/7, thus making it 43%.
That is quite substantial and almost half of the winners being different between TGAs and overall GOTY across the world.
I am predicting this to happen and it makes for a better show to surprise the audience.

As for how they pick the winners:
It's a mix of outlets voting that they have chosen (90%) and fan votes (10%).
Yet the system fails to reflect the majority winner across the world, so either it's not a very good system (perhaps the jury isn't broad enough) or tinfoil hats may be in order.
Interesting enough all the US publishers on GOTY blog has also chosen Hades right now, and TGAs is in the US too (even if it has some outlets from rest of the world).

One major thing to keep in mind is that both the TGA/VGAs have chosen other winners in the years where Naughty Dog have released two of their best games, period.
The Last of Us AND Uncharted 4 were majority winners, yet the last GOTY that Naughty Dog won during one of these shows was a decade ago with Uncharted 2 in 2009.

If TLOU2 wins at the TGAs then I will eat my own words, but I really really don't see that happening.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
4chan just helped another Sony-published title wins, which indirectly supports a TLOU3

Checkmate, 4chan!

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I played GoT when it came out and I think I'm currently about 35 hours through TLoU2 (yes I'm a slow player). Overall I had more fun with GoT but I think TLoU2 is a better and more meticulously crafted experience, and ultimately more noteworthy as a piece of art. For me a player's choice award is essentially about which game I enjoyed the most/which was the most fun, so I'd have voted for GoT for this award, though I do think that TLoU2 is more deserving of the more prestigious jury-awarded GOTY.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
It makes sense, Ghost of Tsushima has much more mass appeal than TLOU.

It's a great game, but Naughty Dog's game is a masterpiece in my opinion.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
still love how many people on this site love supporting naughty dog even after their horrible work conditions came out, yet still bash other companies for doing the same. glad ghost of Tsushima won, hoping hades wins GOTY. i dont want shitty work culture to be rewarded.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I keep my youtube experience well clear of right wing fuckery and this stuff managed to pollute my experience yesterday.
Congrats to Sucker Punch and Druckmann for managing to stir the pot again.

Deleted member 44122

still love how many people on this site love supporting naughty dog even after their horrible work conditions came out, yet still bash other companies for doing the same. glad ghost of Tsushima won, hoping hades wins GOTY. i dont want shitty work culture to be rewarded.
you act like this only happens in the few studios we hear about. also you can criticize working conditions and still praise an amazing product

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
See, I'm getting confirmation that people look for anything to justify the loss by posts like this. I thought the GoT was the better game anyway, I just voted IN GENERAL which I don't usually do (which is clearly written in my previous post and not that I voted for GoT ONLY because of Neil). Neil prancing lead to me see that I can vote for GoT, Elden Ring for the most anticipated game and for Yakuza as the best RPG and that's as good of a stimulus as any to be voting and I did. But yeah, my bad, next time I have to write a post like I would for children. With all the logic behind my thinking so they understand and don't look for secret malicious meanings behind it. Next time don't assume what I didn't write and don't mock people if you want to try and start a discussion.
I definitely think Neil's tweet and the thread about the site being hacked had a direct and indirect way of getting people to vote who otherwise wouldn't have. Because of the reaction to the tweet, someone made a thread on here about it and I ended up voting when I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't seen that thread and the hack thread as I wouldn't have known about it.

Half-Life Alyx is my GOTY but it wasn't nominated so I voted for DOOM Eternal as it's the only game on the list that I felt was something different from what I've played before. It really does feel like a character action game in first person and thats not something I've felt from an FPS before. Between the top two though, I would have voted for TLOU2 as I found the gameplay to be more engaging than Ghost and I was able to finish the former whereas I fell off of Ghost towards the end of the game.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
GoT is a an extremely gorgeous 8/10 game that I will probably never finish, and that's ok. Played for 20-25 hours and got all I needed (and that it had to offer, tbh).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Did I play a different game? I wish there was a fully playable trans character in it, but there wasn't.
It was a purposely midleading thing from when the game first leaked out, when they lied saying Abby was trans. It was even before it was known an actual trans character was in the game. They just said Abby was because of her muscles.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
They should have kept the results of the final round a secret and reveal the winner during the pre show of the award ceremony. Otherwise it just leads to whole bunch of brigading like it did this year.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
No. We saw a reflection of the pure zeitgeist before the agendas were thrown into the mix. TLoU2 was winning.
Yes, and I am puzzled by the attitude which I perceived as "if Neil didn't provoke these people he would have won", he's certainly not responsible for the non-stop bigotry and anti-semitism against them just because he called it out. These things need to be called out.

It's obvious these people wanted to make sure it is known that their group was responsible (whether it's mathematically true or not). It solidifies their tribe as an impactful group. An the danger is that anyone wanting to voice their concerns against the bigotry, or having the kind of characters we had in TLOU2, will be afraid of doing so for fear of losing an award?

I hope not.

And for the record I think GoT equally deserves to win, it's an amazing game. But now it would be perceived as a tainted win regardless of it's merit.