• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
The game has not explained my magical flute that changes the weather. Is it just a cosmetic thing?

Loving everything so far. Photo mode is very impressive.

EdKVYRSX0AAeA79

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Yeah this game is fucking enthralling. It may not reinvent the wheel of open world action RPGs, but everything it does, it does well in my opinion.

This game rewards exploration in a way I love. Finding quests out in the wild, randomly, is a great feeling, as is random encounters. Lots of cool things off the beaten path to find, and every side quest I have done in my first 10 hours of play have been unique. The immersive exploration combined with impeccable atmosphere really elevate this game for me.

I started the game on hard, have died quite bit, but have found that through exploration, upgrading, and taking it slow I've been able to really improve. I really enjoy the combat's methodical and deadly pace. And those stand offs? Fucking awesome way to enter battle.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Played quite a bit today, but I barely advanced the main story. Enjoying it a lot so far, the world is just beautiful. Combat is way better than I expected, has a very cinematic feel to it that creates some really cool moments, especially ont he duels. I did my first mythic tale and that was pretty damn intense.

The short jumping animation the foxes do after you pet them is adorable.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've only played for a couple of hours but I'm enjoying it. After the title drop I made the mistake of following the nearest smoke trail into a fort. Got my ass handed to me by the leader a few times but killed him in the end.

My only complaint so far is that the audio keeps cutting out for a second or so, especially during cut scenes. Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I'm having a great time.

Exploration does incentivize wandering and getting lost/sidetracked. Really liked the Haiku's, and going off the beaten path seems worth it for cosmetic gear, or for charms or upgrading weapons, but enjoying the atmosphere is maybe the strongest draw and elevates it.

Playing on hard, and I've died a bunch. The Ghost style evens the odds and sneaking on rooftops definitely hits me in the Tenchu nostalgia bone. Also enemies if they're searching for you will patrol in pairs back to back which was kinda neat. Also I do enjoy the stand offs, cool and useful mechanic so far.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
My first impressions after playing 5 hours. Graphic sometimes (but there are also mediocre moments) looks amazing, I usually don't care about photo mode but here it's so good that I used quite often. Game it's not boring like Horizon but rather closer to very good Days Gone. Narration is good, definitely above latest Assasins. Also skills tree looks very promising. Generaly insane progres for Sucker Punch after generic Infamous Second Son.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Jesus Christ, got home, started the download hoping to get a couple of hours in before bed but I forgot how fucking terrible PSN downloads are on my end. The connection test isn't too bad (got 180mbps down) but in reality, it downloads so fucking slow I almost can't believe it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This game's camera isn't just bad. It's shit. Wow.

What a damper on a pretty solid game.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, so other people are having issues with how the HDR looks as well. Think I'll just turn it off for now then as opposed to constantly tinkering with the settings.

Game is a beaut regardless, my lord.

strotee

Aug 9, 2018
Jesus Christ, got home, started the download hoping to get a couple of hours in before bed but I forgot how fucking terrible PSN downloads are on my end. The connection test isn't too bad (got 180mbps down) but in reality, it downloads so fucking slow I almost can't believe it.
My PSN speeds are fine once I updated the DNS settings. 1.1.1.1/8.8.8.8 works. Good luck. I am in the USA, so YMMV.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I had to wait 3 hours to download the game. Or so I thought, but nope that was only enough to actually start playing, after an hour I was stopped by a downloading screen... Oh great now it's another 4 hours until the next part is downloaded!
And now it's 01:22 at night. Sigh. :(

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Only played a few hours, but love that Japanese text is available too. It's rare enough in Western SKUs.

Mar 22, 2020
Not sure if this has been found yet, but I've just stumbled across an Easter Egg. Bowing (e.g swiping down on the touchpad for "Respect") at specific animal statues spawns a bunch of animals around Jin. I was near the entrance to the Mending Rock Shrine when I decided to pay my respects at the very first Frog idol/statue I came across. To my surprise, a crap ton of frogs just spawned out of nowhere.

Makes me wonder if there's other oddities around the world that react to the giving "Respect".

EDIT: The Frog statue in question is the very first one you come across after talking to the priest standing at the Torii Gate

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read I need to swipe the touchpad to sheath my sword but it's not working. I'm at the beginning. Is that normal ?

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone besides me not bother with opening any doors, and just slashes them with their sword?

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've only put a couple of hours in but I'm enjoying it so far. I'm not going to pass any major judgments until I give the game time to open up and expand the gameplay a little more.
Having said that, I seem to be in the minority but I don't like the wind system much. I don't see what it adds to the game. In the past they've tried to describe the exploration in this game as if it's a lot more open and natural than other open world games but it's really not. It's basically just the same question mark littered map as a lot of others except with a way more obtuse marker system. If I can already see where I want to go on the map I don't see why it's better having to repeatedly swipe the pad to get an ott wind effect than a standard marker. When you get close enough to the objective a standard ass video game marker pops up anyway because the wind isn't accurate enough to show you exactly what you need anyway. I'm not sure why it's irritated me but it just feels like adding a less effective option just to pretend the exploration is more natural and less guided than it really is.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Got a question. Is this outfit from 2018 trailer in the game? If so do you know the name? Been meaning to find it just dont know what its called

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I've only put a couple of hours in but I'm enjoying it so far. I'm not going to pass any major judgments until I give the game time to open up and expand the gameplay a little more.
Having said that, I seem to be in the minority but I don't like the wind system much. I don't see what it adds to the game. In the past they've tried to describe the exploration in this game as if it's a lot more open and natural than other open world games but it's really not. It's basically just the same question mark littered map as a lot of others except with a way more obtuse marker system. If I can already see where I want to go on the map I don't see why it's better having to repeatedly swipe the pad to get an ott wind effect than a standard marker. When you get close enough to the objective a standard ass video game marker pops up anyway because the wind isn't accurate enough to show you exactly what you need anyway. I'm not sure why it's irritated me but it just feels like adding a less effective option just to pretend the exploration is more natural and less guided than it really is.

I actually agree with this 100% so far. I don't feel like it really adds anything.

Van

Oct 25, 2017
My local bestbuy didn't have any games, tries to get my pre order and they didn't have it:( I wanna playy

Oct 27, 2017
Just did the intro and wondered around a bit, then spent an hour in photo mode already. I REALLY dig the soundtrack and overall look. Even the UI looks amazing. Really impressed so far and the combat has more depth to it then i thought.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been found yet, but I've just stumbled across an Easter Egg. Bowing (e.g swiping down on the touchpad for "Respect") at specific animal statues spawns a bunch of animals around Jin. I was near the entrance to the Mending Rock Shrine when I decided to pay my respects at the very first Frog idol/statue I came across. To my surprise, a crap ton of frogs just spawned out of nowhere.

Makes me wonder if there's other oddities around the world that react to the giving "Respect".

EDIT: The Frog statue in question is the very first one you come across after talking to the priest standing at the Torii Gate
I did this at a location and a bunch of butterflies started flying around me!
I believe there is a trophy associated with doing these

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Got a question. Is this outfit from 2018 trailer in the game? If so do you know the name? Been meaning to find it just dont know what its called

Yes, it's in the game. The outfit is called Kensei Armor and you have to upgrade it to level 2 to have that look.

I did this at a location and a bunch of butterflies started flying around me!
I believe there is a trophy associated with doing these

Indeed.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been found yet, but I've just stumbled across an Easter Egg. Bowing (e.g swiping down on the touchpad for "Respect") at the animal statues spawns a bunch of animals around Jin. I was near the entrance to the Mending Rock Shrine when I decided to pay my respects at the very first Frog idol/statue I came across. To my surprise, a crap ton of frogs just spawned out of nowhere.

Cool!
And Sucker Punch must be C64 fans. The bowing is such a neat little mechanic which I've only ever seen in Usagi Yojimbo on C64 before, where if you bowed when you approached another samurai they bowed back and you just walked past each other instead of starting a fight.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I bet it came down to focus testing. People act like they want things until they have it.

Assassin's Creed 3 has one of my favorite open world areas with its Frontier map. It gives you a few trees and churches to fill out sections of the map but the rest needs to be opened up by physically exploring, and incentivizes using the trees and cliffs as higher vantage points gives you a wider "paint brush" over the map for lack of a better term. People dogpile this game for everything that I loved about it lol (Naive-come-hero minority character, vast exploration, no glowy videogamey handholds, a deep system that was sort of hidden and not slapped onto a visible checklist tied to a button like Black Flag etc etc).

Sorry, got a little ranty there.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is really gorgeous. Can't believe this and tlou 2 on a 7 years old hardware (when even though we have a mid gen refresh ). It's really amazing

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Some quick thoughts around 5 hours in:

Now that I've gotten used to the camera system, I'm really having a lot of fun with the game. I still hope they patch a lock-on and FOV slider into the game though.

I'm enjoying the pacing and the almost episodic structure of the missions so far.

The exploration is amazing! Is this how BotW players felt when they first played that? I'm barely using the map at all and relying on in-game systems like the golden birds and the wind trails to traverse and I haven't had any issues with getting lost so far. Then there's the map; I thought I must have covered a decent chunk by now but nope, still tons to go.

The lip syncing is dreadful.
Aesthetics are on point.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really liking this so far. Playing with expert HUD, going everywhere on foot, not using the wind mechanic and just checking the map every now and then to get my bearings.

So immersive and beautiful.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been following your posts because I tend to take the critiques a lot more seriously vs the constant praise. How would you rank the fighting in this game compared to AC / Arkham / Spider-Man? Less or more satisfying?
I like odyssey combat quite a bit, its similar to that so far.

This game is janky af, but im enjoying it. Its chill.

-J2G7gDRZ9eYAgw3zwDQj7eF8aV2QKEW5AaCGCmh17x_ttIWdGcuotrQ1m_Txc3LHSn6Jidv9bjp_TIis9KYDlFOCZ9J5UKqdF_jx1FOu-tUtKvjJFaMyqWuVowObM-3IKeu5MKNTWnFqmugsqZz7nK6MkpaWld7xXlgve2kJQoQcLPlxO_YhhaPu4joTmNu_mWIjXzFfgqeKa628FiijYfZ4yJdkfZ7v3UO4556sziqdpgVacU40OM8_qgn76jws_gk1rnjNoK3iznzRZuXZtZsBA7ktYnrkWtIKKhFKgtPLnTwzZkZeiahbpAya3u1p5zA1x8jTFOLQJScgS1QPlH3_73lsVQRN7luJMzdqyEhia-21rdWNSsFx7aXkMNSvfhHpj99i1vssaP7Xjo6Qp4Q6bN-mGBLr9kdy7nwcaHV4x0pHgzOsIQi4uPEUDtNoPD1oyKBZBmaXLCzGou6zVni3Nl5cr3F5GLBXqiG1aixIXN9mRFoM-LY9NavQ_JFiuUwIa1d6Z-MavdLicFm__Fnv5tEXIx9pFno_bgSKmRA_0YUTN17RJRsHs9bXUB_3eaa7XUQjXOiElVwHkyZqsJbMmOlohmEnheuTg7_qAQz2kZ8ZsKCIkU2KOCGIKqtXLzin9YkrFlG9_HkPw5llf2slF4So-hLuB2X6wXDDMky6g46jYAwv5lP_2CZ=w800-h337-no