• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
After GoW and TLOU2, this game feels super clunky in so many ways. Prestige gaming is spoiling me.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I know some people have mentioned traversal as an issue - for me it's specifically the vertical traversal. These cliffs with very generic looking, obviously climbing holes... just takes me out of the experience.

I know we were all talking about the impact BOTW would have on open world games but I guess we'll really not fully see this impact until next-gen more. A more free form climbing system that isn't restricted to these very obvious cookie cutter climbing rocks and ledges on some cliff walls would do wonders for the exploration for sure. Still over 3 years since BOTW's release - no other AAA open world game has reached that level freedom.

I know people on Era like to hate on AC, but Origins and Odyssey both allow you to free climb on anything. The only thing that BOTW has over them in that regard is the level of traversal you get from the glider.

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
My initial impressions after 5 hours:

The choice to not litter the map with icons is genius, I actually want to explore to find shrines and Haiku spots. I love randomly coming across an NPC and then telling me about something happening in the world.

I had a crazy one on on duel which was one of the most impressive set pieces in an open world game I can remember.

Game is a little easy for my taste currently. I'm on hard and I'm not wearing the armor that increases health or damage... it suffers a lot from the same complaints I have with Assassins Creed and Arkham combat - it feels like the enemies take turns and there's no tactics between the AI.

It's bloody gorgeous! Like holy shit. I was actually underwhelmed when it all began by all aspects of the game but after an hour or so it all just clicked.

I feel like I might get bored seeing the same few death animations rather than rag doll deaths.

Yeah I think I used my travellers outfit like 95% of the time to clear map fog. I only switched armors for boss fights which luckily you can do while fighting.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Still over 3 years since BOTW's release - no other AAA open world game has reached that level freedom.

Ain't that the truth.

Three and a half hours to go...

giphy.gif

Plum

May 31, 2018
Is this game just messed up in terms of contrast or do I have some settings wrong? There are moments in the initial sequence where you're sneaking through a town at night where it legitimately felt like I could barely see things. My picture's set to Limited/Low and I'm using an LG C9 with fairly 'optimised' settings yet it seems to be way overblown.

ZDKilljoy

Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
Is this game just messed up in terms of contrast or do I have some settings wrong? There are moments in the initial sequence where you're sneaking through a town at night where it legitimately felt like I could barely see things. My picture's set to Limited/Low and I'm using an LG C9 with fairly 'optimised' settings yet it seems to be way overblown.

I had the same exact problem. Even fiddling around with the settings never really fixed it for me.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It seems they only lipsynced one spoken language and picking Samurai Cinema ( what a a name ) it's really off, I believe even more so than usual in other games for some reason. It's like one of those Jackie Chan movies but with Japanese dubs instead of English ones.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow

Lol

Also, man, there's a rather thick layer of jank on the combat, at least when playing on hard. I dunno why they tought having fights on cliffs was a good idea, when combat breaks when there's difference in elevation

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How is everyone getting this early? Dang.

Also, I want to try and get the steelbook tomorrow but don't have it preordered. Do you all think I will have any luck? I also don't feel like store-hopping, lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think I used my travellers outfit like 95% of the time to clear map fog. I only switched armors for boss fights which luckily you can do while fighting.

Austin on Waypoint Radio was saying the same thing. Said he would wear the Travellers outfit until he got to a fight. Would switch out then put the travellers outfit straight back on.

I'm a serial map clearing addict so I assume I'm gonna be the same.

trapt777

Oct 25, 2017
How is everyone getting this early? Dang.

Also, I want to try and get the steelbook tomorrow but don't have it preordered. Do you all think I will have any luck? I also don't feel like store-hopping, lol.

I think you'll find most people in the world do not, in fact, live in the United States of America.

It launched 11 hours ago in Australia for instance.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Is it just me or is the Home Cinema audio setting and every other setting just 2.0 Stereo? I'm getting no Rear Audio.

ZDKilljoy

Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
Austin on Waypoint Radio was saying the same thing. Said he would wear the Travellers outfit until he got to a fight. Would switch out then put the travellers outfit straight back on.

I'm a serial map clearing addict so I assume I'm gonna be the same.

Haha yeah I'm one too and just playing that way basically put me around 95% towards the platinum at the end of the game.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
If you told me this was an Assassin's Creed game I'd believe you. It even has janky traversal issues that are nearly exactly the same as assassin's creed. Game is funky when it comes to edges of ledges, and in tight environments, game gets cofnused aobut what you are tring to do.

Here's early clip of me... just trying to go down a ladder:

This is exactl the same kinda shit we've been dealing since like, AC3 at least.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Okay everyone saying this game is easy, well I think we should stipulate that sentence that it becomes easy after doing some story missions. Trying to clear camps before doing any of the missions is much harder. Wandered into a god damn duel before I even got a "level".
Lots of fun though.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Game is a little easy for my taste currently. I'm on hard and I'm not wearing the armor that increases health or damage... it suffers a lot from the same complaints I have with Assassins Creed and Arkham combat - it feels like the enemies take turns and there's no tactics between the AI.
That's disappointing and expected from the gameplay.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
So close, a few hours to go.

Wonder how long my body will last this late, it's been over a decade since I stayed up for a midnight release.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
So is there a general opinion on whether it's worth playing it with the Japanese VO? Is it better to just go English since they didn't even bother to lip sync it to the Japanese VO?

I would have liked to have played it in Japanese but I know the lipsync not matching up for the entire game is gonna be an eye sore.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Played three hours straight. Having a lot of fun with this so far. My main complaint is that targetting specific enemies during battle can be strangely awkward.

The early game can be kinda hard if you get into a fight with an enemy leader with barely any upgrades, one of them would take out 3/4 of my health bar in one strike.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Hard is definitely the way to go after 3 hours. Also i guess its pretty tough that the beginning because you dont have any abilities, weapons or moves. Jin is pretty cool as a character so far as well the NPCs. This game is everything i have ever wanted.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
User posted this vid

This video really shows how bad the AI is. It is like each enemy has a pre-assigned pecking order and only one of them fully engages in attack at a time. One other AI make take a swipe, but it would of been great if the AI worked together to take on the player. Still looking forward to tomorrow to get the game...but this kind of bugs me.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Okay everyone saying this game is easy, well I think we should stipulate that sentence that it becomes easy after doing some story missions. Trying to clear camps before doing any of the missions is much harder. Wandered into a god damn duel before I even got a "level".
Lots of fun though.
I am going to keep to normal no telling how hard it gets later, someone even mention that.

ZDKilljoy

Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
Huh. Weird, then. Maybe it's an artistic choice or an issue with the game's HDR implementation

I was actually surprised that other reviewers didn't encounter this issue. It's especially apparent when walking into buildings and at times it was just crazy dark. I just made it into an inside joke that lanterns back then really were crap.

Oct 29, 2017
Bummed there's no audio profile for the platinum headset. Been pretty disappointed in how infrequently first party studios have been having one for their game

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Getting this and Mario tomorrow. Both being low 80s scores, I actually have no idea which one I will like more.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Bummed there's no audio profile for the platinum headset. Been pretty disappointed in how infrequently first party studios have been having one for their game

'There's a universal 3D headphone setting that's a much better of doing it than locking it behind their own headsets like they do for a lot of their first party games.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Does no one know if we can change the time of day? I hate playing during nighttime in pretty much any open world games, especially when the biomes are so varied and colorful. :(

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Played up to the moment you do your first assassination and calling it a night. Love the aesthetics and characters so far. My only downside so far is that the combat camera should have had a lock on option.