• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
1) played on pro but it was smooth.

2) played it on hard from start to finish. I feel that's the best difficulty to play it on as even tho in the beginning it might feel frustrating it evens out. And yes enemies can mob you so your best offense is to be defensive to find openings.

3) circle button is dodge/ evade which you can upgrade for rolls. And yea you can choose not to roll and focus on just blocking and parrying. But eventually you will use the dodges and rolls.

Thank you for the reply! That sound awesome. I mean, the roll animation seems too wide/far reaching, but I definitely wanna use some of the evades I've seen. It seems like there are instakills with perfect evades too as well as parries, is that right? I'm definitely using that, but avoiding unrealistic rolls that seem to break the flow... unless I get really swarmed and have to get out of the way lol. But if it's unlockable, I'll go for the rest of the things before.

Playing on hard decidedly. I understand it can be changed anytime. Is there difficulty trophies btw?

Still waiting on that performance video on DF though.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Combat is "ok" so far, it ain´t no Sekiro, thats for sure. animation work is a bit rough, you can execute enemies that are still alive when downing them and sometimes Jin slides to the enemies to finish them.

edit: the cinematography is really awesome, and how it looks with the moving wind...beautiful.

edit2: the gamespot complaint about the fact that you can´t cut bamboo trees seems petty but the game starts you off by a bamboo forest and the first thing a player does when riding through is trying to cut the bamboo trees...and nothing happens, it is a bit strange for sure. and you can literally walk through the bamboo trees, they are no solid objects.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Planning on getting the platinum trophy for this to complete the list of the "Final Four of PS4" (God of War, Spiderman, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima).
Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Beautiful OT and my first history on ERA engraved on the title I suggested.

tenor.gif

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
Thank you for the reply! That sound awesome. I mean, the roll animation seems too wide/far reaching, but I definitely wanna use some of the evades I've seen. It seems like there are instakills with perfect evades too as well as parries, is that right? I'm definitely using that, but avoiding unrealistic rolls that seem to break the flow... unless I get really swarmed and have to get out of the way lol. But if it's unlockable, I'll go for the rest of the things before.

Playing on hard decidedly. I understand it can be changed anytime. Is there difficulty trophies btw?

Still waiting on that performance video on DF though.

Yeah doing a perfect parry or perfect dodge results in a instakill. You can even get a charm to boost the window but it doesn't make it a walk in the park just achieveable. You will need that roll tho especially sometimes the enemies can be annoyingly aggressive just to open up space. Especially the spearmen who sometimes can have annoyingly long homing reaches when they thrust.

No difficulty trophies too.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
Great OT!

Has anyone ordered from Amazon UK? Mine says arriving tomorrow but hasn't dispatched yet, that seems optimistic!

I've watched Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Ran this week to get into the mood, brilliant films, looking forward to diving into the world.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Combat is "ok" so far, it ain´t no Sekiro, thats for sure. animation work is a bit rough, you can execute enemies that are still alive when downing them and sometimes Jin slides to the enemies to finish them.

edit: the cinematography is really awesome, and how it looks with the moving wind...beautiful.

edit2: the gamespot complaint about the fact that you can´t cut bamboo trees seems petty but the game starts you off by a bamboo forest and the first thing a player does when riding through is trying to cut the bamboo trees...and nothing happens, it is a bit strange for sure. and you can literally walk through the bamboo trees, they are no solid objects.

Are there interesting random events and npc interactions exploring the world?

Cutting bamboo is satisfying af i really hope they can add this on PS5 build of the game.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I was the only one who thought the HDR wasn't perfect.

Curious, are you on a tv with lot of nits? And/or a very dark room?
How would you compare for example the moon luminance with Sea of Thieves when there's the skull-moon thing at night (if you have played that)?
I think my tv doesn't do a lot of nits and if I don't play totally in the dark it should be fine, but maybe I underestimate my tv.

Yeah doing a perfect parry or perfect dodge results in a instakill. You can even get a charm to boost the window but it doesn't make it a walk in the park just achieveable. You will need that roll tho especially sometimes the enemies can be annoyingly aggressive just to open up space. Especially the spearmen who sometimes can have annoyingly long homing reaches when they thrust.

No difficulty trophies too.

Awesome, thanks again. Still, I'll try the perfect dodge approach for spearmen before kneeling to the roll mechanic god. Sounds more like blade dancing to me, if it is achievable with my skill, of course, lol.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to snag the Gamestop 9.99€ deal in Germany but they are unsurprisingly already sold out. Oh well I still have my MediaMarkt in-store pick-up order for tomorrow so I'm good. I'm going in blind except from what I saw at the E3 trailers, can't wait! :D

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Around 11 hours until its playable for me. Im so excited, I remember being way excited at the announcement, but a few months afterwards reading Vagabond and its been one of my most anticipated games since then. If everyone want more samurai goodness before or after playing, please read Vagabond, one of the best pieces of storytelling / art I've ever read / seen.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Waiting for the copies to arrive at my local shop. I just want to be high, riding through the dreamy fields and winds, and slicing up some shit while looking cool. Oh, and 100+ hours of photo mode.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Will wait for the inevitable ps5 version with 60fps (hopefully) and hoping they fix a few things by then.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
I'm about to start playing, will post some impressions later. I can't believe i'm finally gonna play it, been hyped since it was announced!

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Karak and skillups review sold me. Arriving tomorrow.

I loved infamous 1 and 2 but didn't like second son. No expectations with this so we'll see.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Are there interesting random events and npc interactions exploring the world?

Cutting bamboo is satisfying af i really hope they can add this on PS5 build of the game.

There is a bamboo "minigame" in some villages where you have to remember a button sequence and push those buttons fast to upgrade your special move/healing resource but you can´t cut bamboo in the open world which is really odd...they could have made it like in older games where you cut it, it blinks and vanishes, no cutting at all is strange and the fact that bamboo is an object you can walk through feels odd.

sometimes you find an npc you can talk to but i haven´t encountered any events yet

general impressions from me, might sound more negative as it is, i am playing on hard:

-uneven graphics, sometimes beautiful, sometimes dated
-many staple OW elements
-some things that feel a bit dated like handles on rocks to climb instead of freeform climbing or red barrels which explode when you shoot them with an arrow
-so far there are no enemies in the open world, only in camps or when doing a mission, maybe this changes
-things to explore are there, often with a little reward but it is still easy to find stuff
-combat is alright but it doesn´t hold even a little candle to Nioh or Sekiro, even on hard it is easy but at least fun and better as modern Ass Creed combat
-animations are very uneven
-stealthing is not really great, you even have a button which shows enemies with a red silhouette, you can´t move dead bodies
-often you have to investigate a scene for a quest and there are always 3 hints you have to find and click
-quests are better than standard OW quests, they are telling a story
-wind effects are beautiful, the landscape is the star of the game

it is an alright game so far to me, it swings between "wow cool!", "been here done that" and "that wasn´t good now". i am enjoying the landscape and atmosphere very much but somehow it is a bit rough around the edges.

edit: you can´t accelerate dialogues and you can´t skip cutscenes

Last edited:

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Do any folk that orderd from ShopTo have access to the digital preorder stuff yet? Or is that only going to show up on the site from tomorrow?

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Some questions:

Apologies if these are stupid questions!

Why has SP taken so long to make this because their last game was 6 years ago, unless it's been 6 years in production.

How big is the game world roughly, like compared to other open world games.

image and HDR quality? 1800p I think is what DF said.

So I think I'm onboard for this game now. This is just from the past few hours of watching reviews and gameplay footage. I wasn't interested in it before that and wasn't going to buy it, so the reviews were might helpful.

Glad the file size isn't that big. Will be going physical. Load times are good apparently.

Another horse riding game. We've had quite a few this gen.

Looks like you can really relax and admire the surroundings which is always a plus, but I think these game goes further. We've all been at the top of a mountain admiring the view in many open world games and this one could be the best.

I'm a big fan of wind, moving trees and foliage in games. Wind plays a big part so it's not only for show.

I owe it to SP to buy this, and I did buy and complete their last game.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
For those playing the game right now, if you chose the white horse, can you groom/clean it?

Would be nice to get rid of that mud build up.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Game is officially out in New Zealand!

Booting it up now. Let's see how it is.

Edit: This game has the dopest brightness calbration screen I've seen.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017

Captured a trio of videos in 4K with no commentary. I'll share this one as it has a bit of everything with no story spoilers.

Bonus dual flutes near the end. Enjoy and feel free to ask me anything!

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
For those that have been playing, does hard mode just adjust enemy aggressiveness? Or does it make them do more damage too? I know sucker punch said that the health of enemies wouldn't be changed on any difficulty.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so when you play the game with Japanese voices, the lips are synced to English animations?

I understand they would have had to remodel the characters again for Japanese animations, but so what? For a game somewhat baked in authenticity, it's very disappointing and immersion breaking.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Aha, there are enemies in the open world, had two events back to back now, in one event they appeared from thin air though :-)

and i bought myself a straw hat, now the game is directly more enjoyable (just joking, the game is really alright :-)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Fantastic OT, and kudos to all who had a hand in its creation! Great work!

im so excited to finally get my hands on this game. I just wish I was off work Friday, because I know I'm going to be up super late tonight playing it. 😂

Sucker Punch is one of my favorite developers, so I'm expecting a very, very enjoyable game. I think they're an under appreciated studio, especially when comparing them to Sony's other heavy-hitting studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Guerrilla Games. I hope GoT brings them more prestige, because they deserve it. Their track record for making fun, accesible, and entertaining games is pretty sterling. I mean, Sly Cooper 1, 2, and 3, imFAMOUS 1, 2, Festival of Blood, Second Son, and First Light? That's a damn impressive resume! Even their "weakest" games are a joy to play(I never played Rocket, so I can't speak to the quality of that one).

It's going to be a long day at work today, that's for sure. 9pm can't get here soon enough!

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Thanks again everyone. So excited to dive into this tonight and start sharing impressions with you all.

Last edited: