• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
From the first time Sucker Punch unveiled this game I knew I wanted to play it. Thankfully I did not really keep up with the gameplay drops and trailers after the first one. I'm so glad I made that choice!

Playing this game for the first time, and oh my gawd is this game freaking amazing. My personal game of the year! From the opening sequence storming the beach of Komoda, I was hooked.

But what sealed the deal? What sealed the deal was unlocking the Ghost Stance. That whole entire sequence of events was just *chefs kiss*. I got literal goosebumps, jumping up and down in my chair, the people running behind me to defend their village, etc. The whole thing was just so perfectly executed. I was throwing all my powder bombs, kunais, doing the most I was so hyped, lol. I can't remember the last time I felt that way playing a video game. It was like I was reminded of why I love this medium so much.

I know that the formula of this game could get repetitive for a lot of people, especially in the third act, but this is the first game in years that I have unlocked everything, turned over every stone, unlocked every trophy, and I still want more! It's that good.

In my opinion, Sucker Punch outdid themselves with this one, and that's because I'm also a huge fan of the Infamous games.

Can I also mention how many hours I've spent in this game's EXCELLENT Photo Mode? I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped in my tracks, mesmerized by the beautiful environments.

Just a perfect game for me. Loved every minute and looking forward to more...

10/10

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully they can make the world feel more alive next game.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I kept going back until I got enough completion for platinum. At first I wasn't a fan of the combat, then I got a hang of it. Now I wish I had more things to raid

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
For me the chills came at the end of the Yurkio quest line. Something about that whole final interaction struck that perfect nerve between joy and sadness. It also did a whole lot to warm me up to Jin as a character. Outside of the Sly Cooper series, this is probably the best game Sucker Punch has ever made.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest surprise in a while for me. I had just finished one of my favorites of all time with The Last of Us 2 and surprisingly I enjoyed Ghost of Tsushima even more?! Its just a joy to play from beginning to end. Great gameplay, story, music, etc.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
they should really allow you to repopulate the bases after you finish the game just to try new stuff with them. it was by far the most fun part of a game that i didn't enjoy a lot :/

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the first time Sucker Punch unveiled this game I knew I wanted to play it. Thankfully I did not really keep up with the gameplay drops and trailers after the first one. I'm so glad I made that choice!

Playing this game for the first time, and oh my gawd is this game freaking amazing. My personal game of the year! From the opening sequence storming the beach of Komoda, I was hooked.

But what sealed the deal? What sealed the deal was unlocking the Ghost Stance. That whole entire sequence of events was just *chefs kiss*. I got literal goosebumps, jumping up and down in my chair, the people running behind me to defend their village, etc. The whole thing was just so perfectly executed. I was throwing all my powder bombs, kunais, doing the most I was so hyped, lol. I can't remember the last time I felt that way playing a video game. It was like I was reminded of why I love this medium so much.

I know that the formula of this game could get repetitive for a lot of people, especially in the third act, but this is the first game in years that I have unlocked everything, turned over every stone, unlocked every trophy, and I still want more! It's that good.

In my opinion, Sucker Punch outdid themselves with this one, and that's because I'm also a huge fan of the Infamous games.

Can I also mention how many hours I've spent in this game's EXCELLENT Photo Mode? I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped in my tracks, mesmerized by the beautiful environments.

Just a perfect game for me. Loved every minute and looking forward to more...

10/10
Glad you liked it ;) And yep, it's awesome :D

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It was a 6.5 for me. High highs in the art direction and combat, but low lows in seriously antiquated design choices, boring world design, and lots of poor missions. I enjoyed it enough to play to the end though, so that's something

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
OP is spot on. This game can re-ignite the passion for gaming.
It is that good.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
This game was so so good. I hope they lean harder into Sly Cooper-esque platforming if they make a sequel.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
I remember playing Infamous 1 at launch and liking it, and when I went to play Infamous 2, I as blown away. I loved it.

Ghost of Tsushima is a good game with flaws and I hope GoT2 will be like an Infamous 2 moment for me.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
For me the chills came at the end of the Yurkio quest line. Something about that whole final interaction struck that perfect nerve between joy and sadness. It also did a whole lot to warm me up to Jin as a character. Outside of the Sly Cooper series, this is probably the best game Sucker Punch has ever made.

Yup the whole Yuriko's sequence is one of the best in the game. Poignant and sad.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yea that whole portion with defending the village was awesome, felt amazing to repel the mongols. Game in general was great. I can see some of the world complaints, but when the game looks and plays like that I'm going to have fun regardless. Definitely one of my favorite games of this generation

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
One thing that stands out for me is that I hated Jin as a character most of the story. He was so bland and a just there so we could se the story, but the last act and that last decision tuned it all around for me. I think it was one of the hardest choices in a video game. I took my time making that last decision.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
As sad and depressing TLOU2 was, playing Ghost after was a nice breath of fresh air.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to be in the minority, bought it at launch. Put about 5 hrs into it and maybe its because I'm not huge into samurai shit.....but the main character is such a note that I just had no interest in seeing it through.

Beautiful as fuck, but just blah

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely one of my favorite games of the year. Between The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, it's a hard choice for me. It's weird, but I feel like GoT was such a perfect complement to TLOU2. That game emotionally wrecked me, and while GoT is no less exploring a bleak scenario and themes, its more zen approach to the environment, gameplay systems, and world building were such a palate cleanser for me. Just roaming around Tsushima, following foxes, or writing haikus, the musical score enhancing and supplementing the experience was exactly what I needed.

The combat, narrative, art design...so good. And the much mocked "following the wind" system worked better than I think most people expected it to, and now I want every open world game to feature a similarly intuitive "waypoint" system (albeit, not exactly the same). I feel like GoT managed to marry it's themes and gameplay systems in a way very few open world games manage to do. It's also still very gamey, which isn't a negative. The controls, combat, and overall traversal is tight and responsive, and gathering resources isn't as cumbersome as some other games, thanks to Sucker Punch eliminating the middle man that is gathering resource animations. As absurd as it is to just mash the R2 button to collect bamboo and supplies while on horseback, without having to stop and bend over to pick it up, it streamlined the gameplay experience in a way I really appreciated. I wouldn't mind other developers considering similar methods when certain repeated gameplay mechanics can feel like a grind the hundredth time you do them (TLOU2 managed to keep the animation, but streamlined the process by allowing an "auto-pickup" accessibility option that was great, for example.).

But yeah, Ghost is a fantastic game, and I've been holding off revisiting it because I want to play it on the PS5 for my Lethal run.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It was alright.

Really derivative filler mechanics that get in the way of the combat.

Beautiful world though.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game where I spent more time doing everything but the main quest and I loved every second. I honestly can't think of a better title card presentation that GoT this gen.

Oct 27, 2017
My personal game of the year as well, not counting P5 Royal. Been thinking about this game a lot ever since I beat it. I have been getting my fix through samurai fiction, mostly comics like Usagi Yojimbo. Legends needs to come sooner!

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I suspect the first dozen or so hours on lethal will be amazing.

There should be a trophy for a kunai-less run too.

I already 100%'d and platinumed the game, but it's just so damn good. I actually started Lethal when the update dropped, but then stopped, because I was like, "I'd rather play this on the PS5, even if it's just running in boost mode, with no 'proper' PS5 patch."

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that one mission a family member was missing and you go to find out they've been killed by the invaders? Good times.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Not even unlocking Ghost Stance, Tsushima already shine from the first hours of story & gameplay for me.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
I don't like that playing a video game less than two months after its release is considered "late".

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i really enjoyed it. if we get a sequel/prequel/spiritual successor i'm sure they'll fill the world out a bit. like a lot of others have said, it was good to play this after TLOU2

even though there's darkness in GoT, it's not as heavy. game was just what i needed. and i loved looking at it

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Beautiful aesthetics, great core combat, simple but effective main and characters narrative and some decent side stories. I think there is a lot they could do to improve on the presentation outside main story beats, and they could make the story a whole lot more epic in the sequel, but it was a good start.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it last night.

It was...pretty good? Like visually, the world was pretty stunning most of the time, and that was easily the best part. They really nailed the skybox and the reflection of the sun through the environment etc.

But the gameplay itself was just sorta...meh? Like the combat was fine, but 90% of the quests were all the same - go here, kill all the mongols (either using stealth or not). And you're never given a choice on how to solve any of these quests. Like a lot of games, for certain side quests or whatnot at least you'll get a chance to either kill the guy or bribe him or let him go or whatever. Not here. Go here, kill all the mongols, maybe rescue some hostages. Over and over.

And the world itself needs to have more interesting stuff aside from looking pretty. I mean, how many times can I follow a damn fox to some temple or collect some useless cosmetic trinket? It just got old really fast and it feels like you get to see all there is quite early on, and have to do it over and over and over for the rest of the game.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
they should really allow you to repopulate the bases after you finish the game just to try new stuff with them. it was by far the most fun part of a game that i didn't enjoy a lot :/

yeah, it's a shame that you don't have that many things to do at the end, except searching the last collectibles.

Maybe in a patch ?

Hope the multiplayer will be good.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
The game got too repetitive for me going into act 3 to the point where I just wanted to finish the main mission and be done with it. The various story arcs just wasn't interesting enough for me to keep on playing.

tlou2 wasn't like that, the story was so good and compelling, I didn't want the game to end even though the gameplay loop got repetitive as well toward the end.

Same thing with rdr2, gameplay loop got boring after a while, but incredible story kept me invested.

SP needs to hire better writers for got2.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game two weeks ago and while the majority of sidequests and sidecontent is unspectacular i thought the mainquest was exceptionally well made.

Days Gone, Spiderman and Ghost of Tsushima are very similar in that regard. Great playing, great looking, fun open world games with a lot of content and very good maincampaigns, but sidequests become just repetitive filler after a while and exploration too streamlined.

I loved them all nontheless though.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I loved every minute of the game.
can't wait to give it another go on the ps5

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Bougth the game yesterday and played for a few hours.

+
Beautiful in every sense of the word. Havent felt like this since RDR2 basically.
Kurusawa-mode is beautiful as well, and good that you can change it on a whim.
It also feels nice to have a game where you cant fuck up the world sotospeak. That you dont have to "chose to save the village or not" is tranquil.
No supernatural mumbo jumbo is great!
I fucking hate spears.

-
I am really stressed out not having at least a compass on the screen to know what heading I'm at. I like the wind thingymajig, and can live without a minimap, but it is really super stressing and definately not "tranquil" to not know on the screen what direction I am looking in. They need to add a compass!
The currency system is so-so. And to this the crafting system. I am seriously confused on how to get new clothes. Do I have to buy them? If so where??? Or do I have to craft them since there are these altars with "equipment things" to collect? Here, I would have been just as happy with an ordinary "Credits + Store in each town" system.
I fucking hate spears.

OP
OP
SixtyFourBlades

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Bougth the game yesterday and played for a few hours.

+
Beautiful in every sense of the word. Havent felt like this since RDR2 basically.
Kurusawa-mode is beautiful as well, and good that you can change it on a whim.
It also feels nice to have a game where you cant fuck up the world sotospeak. That you dont have to "chose to save the village or not" is tranquil.
No supernatural mumbo jumbo is great!
I fucking hate spears.

-
I am really stressed out not having at least a compass on the screen to know what heading I'm at. I like the wind thingymajig, and can live without a minimap, but it is really super stressing and definately not "tranquil" to not know on the screen what direction I am looking in. They need to add a compass!
The currency system is so-so. And to this the crafting system. I am seriously confused on how to get new clothes. Do I have to buy them? If so where??? Or do I have to craft them since there are these altars with "equipment things" to collect? Here, I would have been just as happy with an ordinary "Credits + Store in each town" system.
I fucking hate spears.
All the armors in the game are given to you through quests. The pillers you're talking about are just cosmetics. Changes the look of your sword. The upgrades for those armors and your sword are what you'll need the materials for.

I was kinda thrown off by the wind direction thing too, but you get used to it.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I was surprised by how much I liked the game. It's very fun and nicely self-contained. Maybe a bit too long, but just nice to play.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
All the armors in the game are given to you through quests. The pillers you're talking about are just cosmetics. Changes the look of your sword. The upgrades for those armors and your sword are what you'll need the materials for.
Ah okay, so colors and stuff?
Have only the wayfarers robe now, am going down south to get the Yojimbo robes!

Is there any way at all to know what direction you''re looking at when playing?