• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which class will you be playing in Ghost of Tsushima: Legends?

• Samurai

Votes: 124 26.1%
  • Hunter

Votes: 61 12.8%
  • Ronin

Votes: 168 35.4%
  • Assassin

Votes: 122 25.7%

• Total voters

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is actually incredibly fun. I can see myself going through all of the story quests. Each quest feels unique and the combat is still just as satisfying every fight. It's way more content than I was expecting as well... it's quite literally a fully fledged multiplayer mode with unlockables and difficulties.

Sucker Punch has always been one of my favorite developers, and they seriously knocked it out of the park with GOT.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Did the story and a survival mission. SP put a lot of effort into this mode to say the least. Not sure how much mileage it has, survival takes a long time and there's not any interesting ways to build your character. I'm interested to see what they do with raids at least. Maybe eventually this will turn into samurai PSO.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Maximilian and the rest of YoVG play this made it so I couldn't wait anymore... I wanted to just wait for the PS5 to continue the game but this mode looks so much fun.

And goddamn it looks like the jump from Bronze to Silver is quite large... Makes me wonder what Gold is like? o.O

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Seeing as this is a free update and the first real multiplayer mode from SP, my expectations have been blown out of the water. It's super fun!

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Wow! I am having a blast with this. Survive is fun but get ready to spend some time getting through them. I'm only at silver and 20 waves of fighting is around 40 mins.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
Did the story and a survival mission. SP put a lot of effort into this mode to say the least. Not sure how much mileage it has, survival takes a long time and there's not any interesting ways to build your character. I'm interested to see what they do with raids at least. Maybe eventually this will turn into samurai PSO.

Not really true. I've built my character where almost every attack sets people on fire. Works really well when difficulty and mechanics go way higher in silver difficulty.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Holy f'n shit.
I just tested it out of the blue without knowing anything and thought it's a little neat bonus mode, like we saw a thousand times added in several games (sometimes with paid season pass even), but this is a full blown AAA multiplayer mode with everything you can imagine. I did not expect that. God damn.

Jesus this mode is so f'n good. All the equipment aspects, the crafting of new randomized effects, the huge amount of unlockables which mostly look relatively chill to do, I can't believe this is a mode that got added to the game basically out of the blue (or was it known since release?) but is such high quality that you could believe this is standalone from one team main focused on it alone.
It's crazy how much that feels like a big mode on which someone worked 2 years on.

Also looks like it could be a (F2P) stand-alone thing in the future, the way it got implemented, so they probably have a future plan for this too which is super cool.

_RT_

Oct 31, 2017
I went from confused and bailing on this game to staying up till 3am to clear more of the map. Wildlands was the first and only game I've 100%. This may be the 2nd?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read the last few pages and it sounds like this has turned out pretty good for a free DLC release? Glad to hear as I'm waiting on GoT but its cool to know its got such a meaty extra mode with more to come. I wonder if there are longer term plans for Legends than just being some free DLC.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Read the last few pages and it sounds like this has turned out pretty good for a free DLC release? Glad to hear as I'm waiting on GoT but its cool to know its got such a meaty extra mode with more to come. I wonder if there are longer term plans for Legends than just being some free DLC.

yes, it has better content than most $20 dlc

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
I'd say it would be pretty good as paid DLC, as free DLC it's amazing.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

I think so yeah. The way they implemented this is very much in preparation of a future stand-alone.
You download all the data with the newest patch, but you still get redirected to the PSN store when clicking on that mode for the first time and you still have to "activate" it from the PSN store. No extra download, nothing, you just click on "download" and you can immediately play it.
This is highly suspicious and makes only sense if they want to make it stand-alone some day.

But yeah, it's incredibly high quality, like opening up the brand new Call of Duty quality. Thought through systems, equipment, different modes, level system, currency, daily missions, challenges, unlockable cosmetics, skins, emotes, effects, etc. The whole menu just feels beefy and AAA, it's crazy.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
I think so yeah. The way they implemented this is very much in preparation of a future stand-alone.
You download all the data with the newest patch, but you still get redirected to the PSN store when clicking on that mode for the first time and you still have to "activate" it from the PSN store. No extra download, nothing, you just click on "download" and you can immediately play it.
This is highly suspicious and makes only sense if they want to make it stand-alone some day.

But yeah, it's incredibly high quality, like opening up the brand new Call of Duty quality. Thought through systems, equipment, different modes, level system, currency, daily missions, challenges, unlockable cosmetics, skins, emotes, effects, etc. The whole menu just feels beefy and AAA, it's crazy.
It would make sense too if it originally started out as paid DLC and they changed their mind to make it free at some point.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish there was as additional mode that was just a traditional survivor. The "capture the flag" stuff as it is can get pretty grating at higher waves.

Kenzo

alt account
Banned
Oct 9, 2020
Tsushima
Kinda wish there was as additional mode that was just a traditional survivor. The "capture the flag" stuff as it is can get pretty grating at higher waves.
I like it more than the traditional way. It has a better sense of urgency when the areas are close to getting taken.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It seems fun but as others have said there's no real depth to how you build your character. They've simply stripped down Jin's character into 4, and for the most part, they're very similar. Everything overlaps.

You can be an archer, a ninja, a ronin or a samurai and yet 90% of what you'll be doing will be the same waiting to attack, parrying and then attacking. Rinse and repeat because it's just the most effective way to deal with most mobs.

It doesn't help that the game isn't well designed for the other playstyles. Stealth feels like it's quite an awkward way to play, you can stealth kill the first few enemies, sure, but once your stealth is broken you might as well just be a Samurai. Plus, stealth kills are so lenient that anyone can get the first few kills as stealth kills just by running up to people and hitting square before they're fully alerted.

It's a good enough distraction, but I can't a large audience sticking around. I hope they keep developing on it and try to better differentiate all the character roles, and perhaps add some more missions. I think the 'always night time demonic filter' is a bit tiring too. The main game benefits a lot in that the player gets to experience tremendous aesthetic variety, just the time of day can give a mission a completely different tone. So it's a shame that doesn't vary here too.

Still I do like it. I'll play through all the missions at least. I did a few survival too and they're enjoyable enough.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
90% of what you'll be doing will be the same waiting to attack, parrying and then attacking. Rinse and repeat because it's just the most effective way to deal with most mobs.

Not to contradict your whole post but I've been playing hunter a bit (second class I unlocked after samurai) and this definitely isn't true. I had a match where I topped the score board at 160 kills with 120 of them being ranged attacks.

I think the classes are more different than you are giving the game credit for, but also I'm not sure that the classes need to be significantly different for the game to have legs anyway. Uncharted 2/3 had amazing multiplayer coop horde modes that people sunk many hours into, and everyone played the same minus a couple actives or passives you could equip.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
It seems fun but as others have said there's no real depth to how you build your character. They've simply stripped down Jin's character into 4, and for the most part, they're very similar. Everything overlaps.

You can be an archer, a ninja, a ronin or a samurai and yet 90% of what you'll be doing will be the same waiting to attack, parrying and then attacking. Rinse and repeat because it's just the most effective way to deal with most mobs.

It doesn't help that the game isn't well designed for the other playstyles. Stealth feels like it's quite an awkward way to play, you can stealth kill the first few enemies, sure, but once your stealth is broken you might as well just be a Samurai. Plus, stealth kills are so lenient that anyone can get the first few kills as stealth kills just by running up to people and hitting square before they're fully alerted.

It's a good enough distraction, but I can't a large audience sticking around. I hope they keep developing on it and try to better differentiate all the character roles, and perhaps add some more missions. I think the 'always night time demonic filter' is a bit tiring too. The main game benefits a lot in that the player gets to experience tremendous aesthetic variety, just the time of day can give a mission a completely different tone. So it's a shame that doesn't vary here too.

Still I do like it. I'll play through all the missions at least. I did a few survival too and they're enjoyable enough.

I was thinking along these lines as well, but at the same time I've played way to many hours in destiny and that's really no different from this. While I'm all for better build variety id rather have more mission types/variety first.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
I can see how a raid can work. It'll likely be a story mission playable with 4 people combining all these mechanics we're experiencing.

we gotta figure outa pattern for those scrolls though. they may seem random but I don't believe that entirely

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Not to contradict your whole post but I've been playing hunter a bit (second class I unlocked after samurai) and this definitely isn't true. I had a match where I topped the score board at 160 kills with 120 of them being ranged attacks.

Everyone can do the same thing though right? Like everyone has 12 or whatever arrows and they can be replenished all over. I've been getting 60+ ranged kills as Ronin in survival matches and that's without any particular predisposition to have a ranged playstyle.

The game doesn't even feel as though it's designed well for ranged play, same as the base game. Just as in the base game, most of the enemies can't meaningfully harm you from a distance. Arrows feel like cheating for most encounters, but that's offset by how they're limited as a resource.

My issue is more that every playstyle is merged into one, than any one type ranged/close is ineffective than anything else. Close range is just the most straightforward I think.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Bravo to sucker punch, this has no right being as good as it for a developer that never did a loot grinder before. It's a great experience and will be even better once I can find a ps5

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I was thinking along these lines as well, but at the same time I've played way to many hours in destiny and that's really no different from this. While I'm all for better build variety id rather have more mission types/variety first.

They also only have to add like a shit ton of new ghost weapon ideas and maybe more status effects to really make each run different based on what all 4 of you take with you.
It's a cool system that, in my eyes, don't need much man power to put a shit ton of into the game. And that's a big win for the development.

Last edited:

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
While I haven't really times it, the time to get into a match and kill your first enemy is really fast I think it takes more time to end a match and get your loot, at least it feels that way. Hopefully this is a taste of how next gen online multiplayer feels cuz it feels incredibly good.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Everyone can do the same thing though right? Like everyone has 12 or whatever arrows and they can be replenished all over. I've been getting 60+ ranged kills as Ronin in survival matches and that's without any particular predisposition to have a ranged playstyle.

The game doesn't even feel as though it's designed well for ranged play, same as the base game. Just as in the base game, most of the enemies can't meaningfully harm you from a distance. Arrows feel like cheating for most encounters, but that's offset by how they're limited as a resource.

My issue is more that every playstyle is merged into one, than any one type ranged/close is ineffective than anything else. Close range is just the most straightforward I think.

Does every class have access to longbow tho? I think classes go deeper once you level up an get new geat.

The longbow can do headshots without even hiting the head, that's quite something.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the classes are more different than you are giving the game credit for, but also I'm not sure that the classes need to be significantly different for the game to have legs anyway. Uncharted 2/3 had amazing multiplayer coop horde modes that people sunk many hours into, and everyone played the same minus a couple actives or passives you could equip.

I mean, outside of two abilities they have entirely matched functionalities. I don't think I'm ignoring their differences.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I've played a lot with a friend yesterday and I laughed because I told him how the game reflected correctly the classes we were playing in stats.

He was a hunter and most of his kills were always ranged attacks, I was assassin and most of my kills were stealth kills.

As others have said, classes are more different than we think. The game shows this the more you level up.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, outside of two abilities they have entirely matched functionalities. I don't think I'm ignoring their differences.

The three passives you choose to equip are extremely different. An archer who does 150% headshot damage on close enemies and can restore their ammo using resolve points or have their arrows penetrate shields is going to be significantly more archer focused than a samurai who happens to have a bow he can pull out.
A samurai who can drain health from nearby enemies, have a higher max health, and has increased dodge and parry windows when ever he is in danger is going to be significantly better at fighting off a large crowd of enemies close up, significantly more so than an archer who happens to have a sword they can pull out.

I just don't see what would be gained from denying the archer a sword, denying the samurai a bow, denying everyone but the assassin from stealth kills. It is good, to me, that they have shared functionality but different focuses.