• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I am so excited for this. Ghost was the first game I played in forever where I had genuine fun and smiles. I don't remember having this much fun with games in a long time.

I hope I can get some people here to play with me in Legends
as I have no friends to play with :(

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Shame the Legend missions can't be done solo. Will check out New Game+ then.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All looks and sounds bloody awesome. And this is seriously free?!

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gosh, I love SP so much. This is such an amazing update and all for free, too. ;A;

I cannot wait to go through the raid with my friends.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Great game keeps getting better. Sucker Punch doing the right thing with these sorts of updates.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Dang this all looks great. I'm here for all of it. AAAAND can now see your playtime! fuck yes. I know it's a small thing, but sometimes you just wanna know lol
This is the real megaton for me lol

(OK not really but yeah, weird how it wasn't there! I'm curious to see how long I took to complete it, dammit)

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to experience this again

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Game isn't even six months old yet, gets a really meaty FREE update 3 months after launch, from a not so large studio:

Gamers: "Where is the PS5 free upgrade patch with 4K60fps improved textures and Raytracing?!"

Like, goddamn, guys. No doubt some kind of update/patch will eventually arrive on the PS5 eventually. Sucker Punch literally rolled into releasing Ghost of Tsushima in July, (you know, 3 months ago), into this Legends update (which was no doubt planned for a while, but on the backburner for full development until Ghost proper went gold and launched). They also mentioned that they'd be releasing Raids in the weeks after launch. Gee, what massive product is Sony releasing in a few weeks after Ghost of Tsushima: Legends releases? I think it rhymes with HayStation Jive.

Chances are, if there are any plans for PS5 updates, we'll hear about it closer to not only the launch of Raids, but the launch of the PS5 itself. If the meatiness of this update is any indication, I imagine the announcement of the Raids update to Legends will be like, "And for those enjoying Ghost of Tsushima on the PlayStation 5 through backwards compatibility, we've added the option for a high fidelity 4k mode, and an optional 60fps mode, along with these X,Y,Z features, blah blah blah." Like, have some patience.

I honestly wasn't expecting Legends to launch so soon. I figured it'd be late October or November update. Although October is perfect, as it's Halloween month, and the theme of the update is perfect for it.

Then I remember that Sucker Punch was one of the people that really blew up photomode on the PS4, so perhaps the Raid update will take some advantage of the still yet undisclosed console features of the PS5 in some way, and they can't speak to it yet. A little teaser for what they have in store for their next "real" PlayStation 5 title (Hopefully a sequel to Ghost of Tsushima...).

Despite me moving on to the PS5 next month, I'm so glad that Sony hasn't left PS4 owners (all 112 million of them) out in the cold with continued support of high profile games. I know we're all excited for the new hardware, but we still got 6 weeks to go. All will be revealed in time. Sucker Punch clearly has their ears open to the fans wants/concerns when it comes to this game, but they can only do so much, especially when the game isn't even 6 months old yet. This new update is wonderful. I'm not a competitive MP gamer, but I absolutely love co-op and horde modes, so I'm all in on this. Me and my buddies are going to hold off on the MP for the PS5, but I know for a fact I'm going to break down and start a New Game + so I can get all the shiny new dyes and get lost in Tsushima again while I wait for the PS5 launch. Can we let these developers take a few breaths after their games go gold and ship before making more demands of them? Like, pretty please?

Mar 22, 2019
Hypothetically if someone who doesnt have any friends wants to play Legends new content (not NG+) after finishing the game - how would one do that, hypothetically?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Kind of annoying that it's at the same time as the second Nioh 2 DLC. My muscle memory will be whack :P

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Every time I see a comment like this I think for a split second that they are unappreciative but I understand the hype for a 60fps GOT.

Well, yeah, for sure. Ghost at 60fps would be pretty sweet, but people wanting that isn't the problem. It's the demand that devs should be doing that, instead of it being what it is; a nice bonus if Sucker Punch is able to get around to it. I just think a free update of this size, that not just adds updates to the base game, but an entirely new experience on top of that is pretty cool! This is beyond just some kind of patch 3 months after launch, but all new content for a game that, first and foremost, is a PS4 game. Sucker Punch is one of my favorite devs, and they truly have a passion for this new IP. inFAMOUS First Light came out quite a while after launch, and it was a paid DLC for Second Son. They also took the time to patch in Pro Performance when the Pro came out, so I'm confident that they'll create a patch for the PS5 if they can make the room for it while also working on their next project after Legends is squared away.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll finally be able to be embarrassed about all the time I sunk into this game. Very curious about that.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Is it coincidental that this update comes out the day after the 25% discount sale ends on US PSN?

I am ready to jump on this, and I'm like 90% confident it'll just be updated for PS5 at no additional cost, but still...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is it coincidental that this update comes out the day after the 25% discount sale ends on US PSN?

I am ready to jump on this, and I'm like 90% confident it'll just be updated for PS5 at no additional cost, but still...

probably not, but also that shouldn't be surprising. All/most activities will be designed around extracting as much revenue from customers at every stage as possible.
- Day 1 get the hyped up enthusiasts
- pause for word of mouth to sell more copies at full price
- minor discount to bring on hold-outs
- DLC/patches to attracts those holding out based on feature set
- Deeper discount
- More DLC
- Final discount/Greatest hits

Each time you want to bring people in because of new features or lower price. You don't necessarily want to overlap them. If someone eg didn't buy day one and was hoping for multiplayer, or NG+ then you don't want them buying in the recent sale, you want to wait until the sale ends to get a bit more money. If they still hold out, thats ok - you'll get them at the next price drop

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
probably not, but also that shouldn't be surprising. All/most activities will be designed around extracting as much revenue from customers at every stage as possible.
- Day 1 get the hyped up enthusiasts
- pause for word of mouth to sell more copies at full price
- minor discount to bring on hold-outs
- DLC/patches to attracts those holding out based on feature set
- Deeper discount
- More DLC
- Final discount/Greatest hits

Each time you want to bring people in because of new features or lower price. You don't necessarily want to overlap them. If someone eg didn't buy day one and was hoping for multiplayer, or NG+ then you don't want them buying in the recent sale, you want to wait until the sale ends to get a bit more money. If they still hold out, thats ok - you'll get them at the next price drop
Great reasoning, that makes a lot of sense. That's definitely the long term plan for most or all big games from any company, I bet. They don't just discount a title on a whim, although each game performs differently, so who knows.

In any case, I will just wait until the final day and see if we know more about BC / updates by then. But when you think about it, I doubt they'll simply make people who just bought the game (literally days or weeks earlier) pay for an update.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
An option to uncap the framerate would be nice for PS5 BC if no enhancement patch is coming.

Oct 27, 2017
Got a bit into the second island before I stopped playing. I want to go back because the game is fun to play mechanically, but I'm worried it'll just feel samey all the way to the end. I was already overpowered, can't imagine that'll change much. Maybe I should switch to Lethal Mode.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Got a bit into the second island before I stopped playing. I want to go back because the game is fun to play mechanically, but I'm worried it'll just feel samey all the way to the end. I was already overpowered, can't imagine that'll change much. Maybe I should switch to Lethal Mode.

Lethan is the way to play this.

Jin with upgraded armor and ghost weapons is pretty OP regardless of difficulty though. Maybe those duel is the only real challenge.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
This is really amazing for a free content update. No NG+ has definitely hampered my excitement for my first playthrough. Since the main game is extremely easy, I can't wait to try out NG+, once I'm thought the first time. I was hoping to play the Legends content alone, for an even bigger challenge, though.

iCodec

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maaaan those classes look dope, I hope at some point they add that gear/masks to the main game.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Onto Act 3 now. It doesn't look like it will take too long to 100% this Region. Should have Platinum then after a mop-up of any missing discoveries, but looks all done in Act 1 and 2.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't already have NG+?

I'm really getting sick of games releasing without this feature.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Game isn't even six months old yet, gets a really meaty FREE update 3 months after launch, from a not so large studio:

Gamers: "Where is the PS5 free upgrade patch with 4K60fps improved textures and Raytracing?!"

Like, goddamn, guys. No doubt some kind of update/patch will eventually arrive on the PS5 eventually. Sucker Punch literally rolled into releasing Ghost of Tsushima in July, (you know, 3 months ago), into this Legends update (which was no doubt planned for a while, but on the backburner for full development until Ghost proper went gold and launched). They also mentioned that they'd be releasing Raids in the weeks after launch. Gee, what massive product is Sony releasing in a few weeks after Ghost of Tsushima: Legends releases? I think it rhymes with HayStation Jive.

Chances are, if there are any plans for PS5 updates, we'll hear about it closer to not only the launch of Raids, but the launch of the PS5 itself. If the meatiness of this update is any indication, I imagine the announcement of the Raids update to Legends will be like, "And for those enjoying Ghost of Tsushima on the PlayStation 5 through backwards compatibility, we've added the option for a high fidelity 4k mode, and an optional 60fps mode, along with these X,Y,Z features, blah blah blah." Like, have some patience.

I honestly wasn't expecting Legends to launch so soon. I figured it'd be late October or November update. Although October is perfect, as it's Halloween month, and the theme of the update is perfect for it.

Then I remember that Sucker Punch was one of the people that really blew up photomode on the PS4, so perhaps the Raid update will take some advantage of the still yet undisclosed console features of the PS5 in some way, and they can't speak to it yet. A little teaser for what they have in store for their next "real" PlayStation 5 title (Hopefully a sequel to Ghost of Tsushima...).

Despite me moving on to the PS5 next month, I'm so glad that Sony hasn't left PS4 owners (all 112 million of them) out in the cold with continued support of high profile games. I know we're all excited for the new hardware, but we still got 6 weeks to go. All will be revealed in time. Sucker Punch clearly has their ears open to the fans wants/concerns when it comes to this game, but they can only do so much, especially when the game isn't even 6 months old yet. This new update is wonderful. I'm not a competitive MP gamer, but I absolutely love co-op and horde modes, so I'm all in on this. Me and my buddies are going to hold off on the MP for the PS5, but I know for a fact I'm going to break down and start a New Game + so I can get all the shiny new dyes and get lost in Tsushima again while I wait for the PS5 launch. Can we let these developers take a few breaths after their games go gold and ship before making more demands of them? Like, pretty please?
Amen to all that.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

thank you!

it's just exhausting to constantly see gamers demanding X,Y,Z from a studio, especially knowing how much blood, sweat, and tears go into making video games from firsthand experience.

Seriously, people, it's not all fun and games. A lot of sacrifices are made to create these pieces of interactive entertainment, and the Herculean task of simply getting the game to gold and releasing it to the masses is brutal. And to then he expected to just dive back into it with the same energy and focus just weeks after launch just comes off as spoiled and entitled

To see stuff like, "yeah, your GOTY contender is good and all, but what else you got for us, and for free," is a little disheartening.

I've said it before, but I'm super fortunate to work at a company that actively discourages crunch time and crunch time mentality. To the point where we get chastised when we work longer than our 8 hours. All of us have worked for companies where 12-16 hours days, 6-7 days a week were the norm, and we hate it! From our CEO down to the QA Team. I can't say how much I appreciate being able to take a break when I need it (I'm requesting time off late November, because I'm finally starting to feel the burn of the past 8 months straight of WFH).

Sucker Punch just released an amazing game 3 months ago. They didn't HAVE to give us GoT: Legends this month. We aren't OWED GoT Legends. Yet we're getting it in a few short days, and for free. I'm grateful for their commitment and passion for their new IP.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
thank you!

it's just exhausting to constantly see gamers demanding X,Y,Z from a studio, especially knowing how much blood, sweat, and tears go into making video games from firsthand experience.

Seriously, people, it's not all fun and games. A lot of sacrifices are made to create these pieces of interactive entertainment, and the Herculean task of simply getting the game to gold and releasing it to the masses is brutal. And to then he expected to just dive back into it with the same energy and focus just weeks after launch just comes off as spoiled and entitled

To see stuff like, "yeah, your GOTY contender is good and all, but what else you got for us, and for free," is a little disheartening.

I've said it before, but I'm super fortunate to work at a company that actively discourages crunch time and crunch time mentality. To the point where we get chastised when we work longer than our 8 hours. All of us have worked for companies where 12-16 hours days, 6-7 days a week were the norm, and we hate it! From our CEO down to the QA Team. I can't say how much I appreciate being able to take a break when I need it (I'm requesting time off late November, because I'm finally starting to feel the burn of the past 8 months straight of WFH).

Sucker Punch just released an amazing game 3 months ago. They didn't HAVE to give us GoT: Legends this month. We aren't OWED GoT Legends. Yet we're getting it in a few short days, and for free. I'm grateful for their commitment and passion for their new IP.
I live by the words of one my favorite movie critic "making a movie is hard, making a good movie is harder", I just extrapolate it to any creatives works.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I live by the words of one my favorite movie critic "making a movie is hard, making a good movie is harder", I just extrapolate it to any creatives works.

Yeah, pretty much! From movies to games to everything in between, creative works, especially on a scale like a game or a movie or a television production, take a lot of fricking work to get done. The level of planning and coordination, then the execution, is insane.

Over the years, I've definitely learned to have a real appreciation for the effort that goes into this stuff. As an artist, I always had at least an understanding of the effort to produce things, but, yeah, it really wasn't until I started working in the industry a decade and a half ago that I truly began to appreciate it.