• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Language Are You Playing Ghost In?

• English

Votes: 433 44.1%
  • Japanese

Votes: 549 55.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's gonna get delayed again. I can't wait!

tenor.gif

If it has a date three months from now, I really doubt it's gonna get delayed (barring some cataclysmic Act of God events)

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, you're right. I was incredibly disappointed with Spider-Man's dub, which made me set my system settings to English. Might actually play this one in German, even though I rarely do that these days.
Death Stranding was really solid as well. Glad that the time of really bad localisations is over for the most part.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
That's a great leap of logical thinking there, buddy.
Just adding to this point. Map size of infamous really isn't that large combined with such fast moving powers for traversal cutting a lot of time for players. It was also a game in development for far less time. This game seems to be far more ambitious just going by the quotes alone about the scale and journey and the nature of the game will dictate a far different pacing. Side quests/content reads to be much more substantial than what they did with the infamous series that I think it's a much easier assumption to think it's going to be much longer game. A lot of Sony titles have drastically increased in length kind of by necessity as well.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Also, how has the trailer on the PS channel on YouTube only got 264k views?! Feels like it should be a lot higher. It's 603k on the Gamespot channel.
Because they didn't advertise correctly the story trailer... they focus on the release date and probably succeeded, the reach of this news must have been huge !

But for example, in the same tweet announcing the release date, PlayStation put the short story trailer (30s), they should stick the full trailer like PS Europe did iirc
I think a lot of people think the story trailer is 30sec (or they saw the 30sec clip which covers a lot of the full trailer and don't want to watch the full one)

They should have done one tweet with the full trailer (including a YouTube link) and a tweet below with informations on preorders

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Does this game have a mode where everyone speaks the right language?
Seeing everyone speak English is odd.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely.

This is still on a high level but not as high end as what we've seen from other studios.

What gives me hope is that pat Sucker Punch Games didn't have this problem. So i'm quite sure it's something that will be fixed before release.
This game is much bigger than Infamous. Game development is a series of tradeoffs.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Can I get a shout out for the sweat bead trailing down the protagonist's face at 2:08. That is some detail.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that how you localize to everything? Everyone speaks the language it is localized to. If the character doesn't understand the language, it's gonna be a different one. For instance the Mongolians aren't talking english, only that leader dude.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is much bigger than Infamous. Game development is a series of tradeoffs.

I'm sure they're toing their best.

It just sticks out more when everything else in the game is on such a high level.

I believe the Mongols are speaking in their language. It was like that in the reveal trailer.

Their leader is speaking "your" language because he's speaking with the protagonist "you".

Also there's a japanese language option so everyone will speak japanese and i would think the invaders will still speak their own laguage.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
That's a great leap of logical thinking there, buddy.
Not sure what you want to say. All I pointed out was that the studio's last open world game was 10 hours long and nothing says this can't be. I also said I don't think it will be as short personally. Feels like the people doing logic leaps are the ones going "it is open world, thus it is longer than 8-10 hours".

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what you want to say. All I pointed out was that the studio's last open world game was 10 hours long and nothing says this can't be. I also said I don't think it will be as short personally. Feels like the people doing logical leaps are the ones going "it is open world, thus it is longer than 8-10 hours".
What open world game is 8-10 hrs? Should we have assumed Days Gone would be ten hrs because the studio previously worked on linear games? Or God of War? Your premise is incredibly flawed as it assumes that in this day and age, we should immediately assume game length based on the studio's previous work during an age where many devs have explicitly been going big with their game length even studios that made smaller titles in the past.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Not sure what you want to say. All I pointed out was that the studio's last open world game was 10 hours long and nothing says this can't be. I also said I don't think it will be as short personally. Feels like the people doing logic leaps are the ones going "it is open world, thus it is longer than 8-10 hours".

The burden of proof is on you, because most if not all of the open world games so far have exceeded that amount by a fair margin.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
What open world game is 8-10 hrs? Should we have assumed Days Gone would be ten hrs because the studio previously worked on linear games? Or God of War?
I am not making a case for the game being 8-10 hours long, I believe it is longer. I am just saying it is not unthinkable. Concrete Genie, Uncharted: Lost Legacy and inFamous: Second Son for example.

The burden of proof is on you, because most if not all of the open world games so far have exceeded that amount by a fair margin.
I am not trying to prove anything except that open world games can be 10 hours long. I have proven it via examples already. I have never made statements about this game's length.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I am not making a case for the game being 8-10 hours long, I believe it is longer. I am just saying it is not unthinkable. Concrete Genie, Uncharted: Lost Legacy and inFamous: Second Son for example.
Lost Legacy was a dlc addition turned into a full game that was shorter than the main game which had a bigger budget and longer dev tine. Infamous Second Son was a borderline tech demo released in 2014 where games like the order 1886 were still being greenlit and hyped up.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Legacy was a dlc addition turned into a full game that was shorter than the main game which had a bigger budget and longer dev tine. Infamous Second Son was a borderline tech demo released in 2014 where games like the order 1886 were still being greenlit and hyped up.
Feels like you're reducing inFamous: Second Son to being a tech demo because it fits your agenda. It's a $60 retail game. Gears 5 was a game released last year with two large open worlds which you traversed via a vehicle (Ghost of Tsushima has a horse) and I'd guess it was 10 hours. What if that is the structure Ghost of Tsushima adopts? Large, empty open world with a few optional hubs containing missions and a tight, focused campaign.

I expect Ghost of Tsushima to be longer than 10 hours for the record. It's open world, has had a long development time and they have hired quest designers. I just don't see any reason to proclaim it undoubtedly is until we know more.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Feels like you're reducing inFamous: Second Son to a tech demo because it fits your agenda. It's a $60 retail game.
It was a 6-8 hr experience where most of the game's advertising focused on how pretty it looks.

Gears 5 was a game released last year with two large open worlds which you traversed via a vehicle (Ghost of Tsushima has a horse) and I'd guess it was 10 hours.
Gears of War 5 wasn't a full on open world game, it was a more linear title with hub areas. Ghosts of Tsushima is a full on open world game.
What if that is the structure Ghost of Tsushima adopts? Large, empty open world with a few optional hubs containing missions and a tight, focused campaign.
It'll likely be a seamless open world. This title seems a lot more straightforward than the speculation I see people come up with.

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like you're reducing inFamous: Second Son to being a tech demo because it fits your agenda. It's a $60 retail game. Gears 5 was a game released last year with two large open worlds which you traversed via a vehicle (Ghost of Tsushima has a horse) and I'd guess it was 10 hours. What if that is the structure Ghost of Tsushima adopts? Large, empty open world with a few optional hubs containing missions and a tight, focused campaign.

I expect Ghost of Tsushima to be longer than 10 hours for the record. It's open world, has had a long development time and they have hired quest designers. I just don't see any reason to proclaim it undoubtedly is until we know more.

I feel like you're spreading FUD based on almost nothing. Their last game was clearly hurried out for the PS4 launch (which it still missed by a few months) and had a dev time of less than 3 years on new hardware. This will be a very different situation from a Sony who understands the importance of a major single player game and has had lots of success in the open world genre over the last few years.The development situation with Infamous: SS and GoT are not at all similar despite having the same developer.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I love the setting, but something about the gameplay sequences we've seen so far just seem...bland? Idk.

The writing/delivery in that trailer leaves a lot to be desired, too. Eagerly awaiting the reviews for this one.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It was a 6-8 hr experience where most of the game's advertising focused on how pretty it looks.

Gears of War 5 wasn't a full on open world game, it was a more linear title with hub areas. Ghosts of Tsushima is a full on open world game.

It'll likely be a seamless open world. This title seems a lot more straightforward than the speculation I see people come up with.
Nothing in inFamous: Second Son's advertisement suggested it was a tech demo. It was a full retail game and a sequel to other full retail games. You can excuse the game's length due to it being a launch period game but it was a game, not a tech demo. All advertisement said it was a game.

Ghost of Thushima is "likely" to be seemless open world, I agree with you. It "probably" is longer than 10 hours, absolutely.

I feel like you're spreading FUD based on almost nothing. Their last game was clearly hurried out for the PS4 launch (which it still missed by a few months) and had a dev time of less than 3 years on new hardware. This will be a very different situation from a Sony who understands the importance of a major single player game and has had lots of success in the open world genre over the last few years.The development situation with Infamous: SS and GoT are not at all similar despite having the same developer.
I'm not the one making claims based on assumptions. In fact, I'm not making claims at all except "there are open world games that are 10 hours long", something that's undeniably true.

If you want to say "everything points towards a game longer than 10 hours" then I won't disagree. If you say "the game is longer than 10 hours" then you are making assumptions without evidence to back it up.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What open world game is 8-10 hrs? Should we have assumed Days Gone would be ten hrs because the studio previously worked on linear games? Or God of War? Your premise is incredibly flawed as it assumes that in this day and age, we should immediately assume game length based on the studio's previous work during an age where many devs have explicitly been going big with their game length even studios that made smaller titles in the past.

There's nothing wrong with basing expectations on an upcoming game on the previous work of the developers. In fact it makes complete sense, especially for a studio like SP that has consistently repeated themselves (all of their open worlds have been as basic as you can get and they all follow the same three-island structure). It doesn't help that they've been very cagey with GoT. Like how despite showing us a snippet of combat two years ago we still have no idea how it works.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing in inFamous: Second Son's advertisement suggested it was a tech demo. It was a full retail game and a sequel to other full retail games.
You seem to take offense to the specific use of the phrase tech demo to avoid what's actually being said.

There's nothing wrong with basing expectations on an upcoming game on the previous work of the developers. In fact it makes complete sense, especially for a studio like SP that has consistently repeated themselves (all of their open worlds have been as basic as you can get and they all follow the same three-island structure). It doesn't help that they've been very cagey with GoT. Like how despite showing us a snippet of combat two years ago we still have no idea how it works.
I mean considering that one of pre-order bonuses is a skill point and they've said this is open world and what they've talked about are systemic systems in the world itself I think at this point we know what to expect especially from a game where they advertise the game with stealth kill animations. The difference I'm thinking is that the gameplay itself isn't dictated by stats like an RPG, (ac:odyssey and horizon) and functions more like older AC games with modern sensibilities. Like an emphasis on being able to climb everywhere depending on what equipment you're wearing. With the standard game design approach of not being too limiting and letting the player approach situations the way they want, (which considering the game's premise likely boils down to combat vs stealth).

Last edited:

Darkonda

May 23, 2018

Sucker Punch creative director Nate Fox confirmed that a local Japanese audio track will be available on all discs to help emphasize the game's historical backdrop. Elsewhere, Fox went on to say that the attacking Mongols in the game who still haven't "learned" Japanese will still speak Mongolian. This means that Ghost of Tsushima is a veritable language lesson for anyone wanting to scrub up on their Japanese and Mongolian.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
You seem to take offense to the specific use of the phrase tech demo to avoid what's actually being said.
Not really seeing a point in continuing this discussion. You think that there are strong indications of the game being longer than 10 hours and I agree with that. All I'm saying is that it's not completely unthinkable that it's just 10 hours long and I struggle to see how anyone can claim this is false based on current information. If you think it's absolutely, completely, 100% unthinkable that the game is only 10 hours long then we are on completely different pages and there is no reason to discuss it further. Nothing either of us say can change the opinion of the other.

Better to celebrate how awesome the game looks than to bicker pointlessly.

Last edited:

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017
The way the older trainer talks about "If you continue down this path you will be no better than the mongols" makes me thing maybe there's a good/bad system similar to the way Infamous had the good/bad karma system.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The way the older trainer talks about "If you continue down this path you will be no better than the mongols" makes me thing maybe there's a good/bad system similar to the way Infamous had the good/bad karma system.

I wonder if we make more bad decisions if this would take the protagonist closer to the 'ghost' form while good ones more into the path od the samurai.
It could be cool if well implemented.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite the open world sandbox I was hoping for, but looks interesting none the less.

Now to decide if I play it in June or wait for an inevitable next gen port.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My main concern in choosing Japanese is if not every piece of dialogue has subtitles. Nothing like walking down a street or hearing a background conversation but not having subtitles so having zero clue what it's about.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not quite the open world sandbox I was hoping for, but looks interesting none the less. Would be a real shame if it was as linear as Something like red dead.
Now to decide if I play it in June or wait for an inevitable next gen port.
Open world games tend to start out with linear and heavily scripted/cinematic intros. Doubt this is a different situation.
My main concern in choosing Japanese is if not every piece of dialogue has subtitles. Nothing like walking down a street or hearing a background conversation but not having subtitles so having zero clue what it's about.
Has this ever impeded your enjoyment of AC games?

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Wow. The German dub sounds amazing. Love this trend!
The hell just checked it out and it's really good. Was planning on playing it in japanese but german actually seems more appealing now.
What I like about it compared to the english version is the lack of accents. No idea why americans always have to include those. It doesn't make it more authentic.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I might be misremembering, but I think SP said they wont have a karma system like with Infamous.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that more immersive?
When the character and towns folk are meant to be of the same nation, no. When the character is a foreigner? Yes it can work. So in this game as they say some Mongols not learning Japanese and speaking natively their language is great. You going to a town and folks speaking to you or any flavor dialogue among citizens that didn't get translated actually ruins it for me because I might be missing a fun little bit due to nobody translating it. It's a thin line to walk across. I still have switched to say Japanese in many jrpgs and recently sekiro, so ultimately I tend to opt to go to the language that makes sense. But it doesn't mean I enjoy missing dialogue that otherwise I'd understand.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
They ought to have graphical filter with variants; obviously black-and-white too.

They also the first popularizing Photo Mode on PS4 via Second Son. Unless I mistaken?