• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
ghost-of-tsushima-ps4-playstation-4-1.original.jpg

Taking Transistor's advice and making a separate thread.

From PushSquare:

Ghost of Tsushima is based on a historical Japanese setting, and developer Sucker Punch has invested extra effort into representing the backdrop accurately.

All of that effort clearly appealed to Japanese gaming bible Famitsu, as it's been awarded a perfect score by the magazine. This makes it the third Western game ever to receive a 40/40 from the publication, following The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto V.

Congratulations to Sucker Punch, I'm sure of all reviews, being only the third western title to receive a perfect score for Japan's legendary Famitsu perhaps means the most to them, as the game is an homage to Japanese history and cinema. They no doubt had help from Sony's Japan Studio, but still an amazing accomplishment nonetheless from a western developer!

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't worth anything.

One of the comments on their review was that the women aren't pretty enough.

Death stranding also got a 40/40. The game also included the magazine's mascot and the former editor in chief lives in one of the bunkers.

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Congratulations to Sucker Punch for making what I'm sure is a terrific game, but Famitsu isn't exactly a bastion of journalistic integrity, from what I've heard.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
And yet they couldn't bother to lipsync the Japanese audio
If you want overall higher review scores of your game you have to lipsync to Western English audio.
Otherwise they'd drop points for lipsyncing not matching English well.
As you can see Square Enix games or some other Japanese games those games that prioritised lipsyncing to Japanese over English lots of reviews complained lipsync not go with English properly

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you want overall higher review scores of your game you have to lipsync to Western English audio.
Otherwise they'd drop points for lipsyncing not matching English well.
As you can see Square Enix games or some other Japanese games those games that prioritised lipsyncing to Japanese over English lots of reviews complained lipsync not go with English properly

Some games have lip-flaps for both English and Japanese. They could've done that.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Congrats to sucker punch. they r slowly getting upto the level of naughty dog , ssm,guerilla and insomniac

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to finding out which NPC the Editors of Famitsu plays! He was great in the other 40/40 games.

sm.EJAvfvzU8AAnX06.800.jpg

18j3r8f7wf956jpg.jpg

dziga

Banned
Mar 5, 2020
Why are people always talking about Nintendogs when famitsu gave perfect scores to JoJo All Star, Mario Wii and FFXIII-2 ?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least they should have lip synced for Japanese and made English look like a dub. That would have captured the samurai cinema vibe even better

Pretty much. They played pretty fast and loose with authenticity on a general level, though. Like the game is extraordinarily historically inaccurate on a lot of very critical levels, so I'm not surprised they also went with English as the primary language for facial animations.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Famitsu scores are a joke, but it seems like GOT is faring really well with other Japanese media as well, so on the whole, congrats to Sucker Punch! I just wouldn't put as much stock in Famitsu's scores specifically.
Also, I lol'd at "Japanese gaming bible Famitsu".

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Was curious to know how Japanese reviewers would receive this game since it was made my a western studio. Good to see they enjoyed it.

Oct 27, 2017
The score itself doesn't matter but it is interesting to see that a Japanese publication didn't take extreme issue with the game in terms of cultural sensitivity. Curious to see how that discussion shakes out as the game gets into more people's hands.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much. They played pretty fast and loose with authenticity on a general level, though. Like the game is extraordinarily historically inaccurate on a lot of very critical levels, so I'm not surprised they also went with English as the primary language for facial animations.
And uhh.. it also makes complete sense because of money. It would have been insane to lip sync only JP if they had to do one, but I'm sure it would have been appreciated by around 1000 people on era.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And uhh.. it also makes complete sense because of money. It would have been insane to lip sync only JP if they had to do one, but I'm sure it would have been appreciated by around 1000 people on era.

If the game is meant to be an authentic and realistic look at Japanese history and they only had the budget for one set of facial animations, the primary lipflaps should've been Japanese, not English.