• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I am not Japanese, but from another Asian country. I can only speak for myself and friends around, I'd be stoked, absolutely stoked, for any game that meets the bare minimum bar.

Most "Asian" themed video games and board games still put samurai armor on non-JP soldiers or completely different architecture in a "Tang" dynasty garden.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, you never know. the Ass Creed games never shied away from portraying unsavory parts of their settings such as George Washington being Awful to the Native American MC in 3

Yeah we'll see I guess. I think they will have Eivor being a "good" viking that doesn't like what the other Vikings are doing. But at the same time you can raid villages and burn them down, kind of aggresive for farmers just wanting to settle and grow their crops.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like just dismissing criticism because some japanese people liked it, as well as dismissing the concept that the game could be well received by some because some japanese people didn't like it goes nowhere.

In terms of portraying some events in politically heavy ways, you always have to consider the multiple perspectives. There were japanese experts being consulted in the making of Ghost of Tsushima. Would it be weird if a japanese studio tried to portray 9/11 through the optics of an american expert, like Ben Shapiro? Well, obviously. And most japanese players would not be able to discern because they do not live in the same space, they don't have access to the historically fat standpoint of an american person (and by that, let's ignore the dynamic between an imperialist country and a smaller nation, of course).

But most of the discourse around this game has become this strange weaponization of valid opinions. There are some white people using japanese voices to echo their own notions about the game, negative or positive, about a different political climate.

And let's also not consider that romantization of samurai is not a new thing at all. Actually, if we are going to discuss the problematic romantization of historic personalities and military heroes, maybe americans should look at their own soft power being reproduced through decades of games glorifying firearm culture, imperialism, terrorism as "pure evil", war as clean matches of chess, etc. The discussion about Ghost of Tsushima should really contemplate the ones who are agents of its propaganda.

But that's my opinion.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
but the lip sync is messed up.
Like I said in a previous post, the lip syncing as it is is rudimentary enough that it could probably reasonably pass for some other language. Often their mouth flaps don't even match to English speech. Complex, intricate cinematics are few and far between. It's less of a big deal than people realize.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Yup.

It's one thing to preemptively chastise the game and being convinced it's gonna be shit historically speaking just because it's made by Westerners. And it's one thing to assume that the Japanese at large will hate it. Both those things are dumb and reek of weebery.

But it's another thing entirely to raise concerns about overromanticization of the samurai, making them behave like they're this caricature of honour, as if the bushido was a historical reality - it wasn't. To raise concerns about representing Mongols as these savage beasts. That's legitimate criticism, especially in a game that, by its very presentation, looks like it's trying to be a fairly realistic representation of what it's depicting. In many respects, it's not. Kinda like the Assassin's Creed games have the aesthetics of historical accuracy, but are really just goofy fun with gorgeous visuals where the only thing that's realistic is the architecture.

Japanese video game critics - some of them anyway - praising the game for its realistic portrayal of historical Japan doesn't speak to the game's historical accuracy. It speaks to those critics' lack of perspective on Japanese history. Which, I don't necessarily blame them for it - I suck at history -, but still. I think the way the first quote in the OP is quite telling: " Japanese historical dramas have been thoroughly studied and brought to life in a world that is very close to how we picture his period of Japan in our minds." How we picture... in our minds. Not how it actually was.

Again, it's like Western reviewers praising the Assassin's Creed historical accuracy. I don't care if the praise for, say, AC Unity comes from a French reviewer. That doesn't automatically make them a scholar on French history. That's just praise out of ignorance and/or possibly a vague misplaced sense of nationalism.
Hi, Kilrogg!

I find it really surprising that so many people still fall into the trap of "Well, people in that country like it, so their perspective wins!" It reminds me of when Ghost in the Shell's live action movie came out or people discuss white people wearing kimono/yukata/jinbei to some Japanese celebration. So often, people will silence the Japanese diaspora in preference of Japanese natives' opinions if those opinions parallel their views. That sucks. Why not listen to people who have knowledge, a different perspective, and their own criticisms?

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase GoT, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.
Sony, publicly apologize and cancel GoT, or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
While this article is used as a bludgeon to deflect criticism of the very pro samurai (aka pro cop) message of the game, there certainly are people on here and on Twitter that prejudged the game and judge people for enjoying the game even when they acknowledge the issues with it. It's a common theme. In some cases, like Ubisoft, where it's pretty clear we have damning information, it's understandable. When I see people judging the developers of the game though specifically on this topic, it seems a bit over the top.

Kind of surprised to read that all the in game text even on signs and textures is translated properly when even to me, with an entry level of understanding of Japanese, could tell the original main menu was translated super wrong.

A lot was made of this before the game released and what I read this doesn't seem to be the case. I'd be interested in hearing from native Japanese speakers though in case what I've read post-launch is misleading and/or incorrect.

its set in japan and not even in the meiji era where at least some japanese people speaking english would be plausible. i mean good for you if it doesnt bother you but for me this is big.

Of all the things to criticize this game for, I feel like this is the weakest. Jin isn't speaking English when you're playing the game in English, it clearly takes whatever language you're using as 'Japanese'. You'll notice when you fight Japanese people in the game, vs. the Mongols, they will actually yell get down or duck in English when the archers fire at you, whereas Mongols do not.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It was completely unsurprising to see who wrote this article. To be frank, Ashcraft's entire gimmick is making Japan sound exotic and "wacky"; it's hard to feel good about the intent behind writing something like this, especially when it's so one-sided that it seriously cites Famitsu without any disclaimers. He is seemingly just picking through reviews for positive comments; it's not like he's hiding that, of course, but it certainly means it's going to be twisted into "evidence" that invalidates criticism for some people when it's not the full picture.

And unfortunately, along those lines, some people in this thread already are using it to dismiss any criticism in weird manners. In particular, it is just very silly to see claims that people criticized the game due to console warring and such; that is not something most people actually care about, so be fair and at least assume they had genuine issues even if you disagree with them. It seriously comes across as projection to assume it was because they're angry about PS4 exclusives or some ridiculous theory like that. Maybe there exists a few people who did say things in bad faith, sure, but that is absolutely not the majority of the criticism I've seen.

In general, it just remains disappointing how completely resistant people here are to even the idea that a game can be criticized in good faith without it being an attack on you or even the game at all. Like I'm not saying you can't enjoy the game; my copy just showed up today, I expect I'll have some fun with it myself. But literally just don't hide from criticism or mock those making it. Meet this bare minimum standard at least, please.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Why not listen to people who have knowledge, a different perspective, and their own criticisms?
That's all fine. Again, the problem is when overzealous Westerners aim to prematurely paint the game in a certain light, whether that be positive, or negative. I am way more down to hear those positive and negative viewpoints from the actual Japanese public, not some guy on Era who decided the game was problematic six months before it came out.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Straight up a lot of Samurai were monsters. Look into the Sengoku period. However, like cowboys in the US, people began glorifying them. I think the big push for that was during the Meiji Restoration time. Then with the push of samurai media/movies and now most people just don't know about it.
However, I do like how Jin is stoic in character kinda fits with how my kendo teacher was.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
In all honesty I ain't qualified to be in this conversation I think this one needs to happen with people who are of Japanese decent but not living in Japan and people of Japanese decent who currently live in Japan. Cause from what I have seen on twitter over the years for this game. Both sides have different takes on what should be done.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
That's all fine. Again, the problem is when overzealous Westerners aim to prematurely paint the game in a certain light, whether that be positive, or negative. I am way more down to hear those positive and negative viewpoints from the actual Japanese public, not some guy on Era who decided the game was problematic six months before it came out.
Personally, I wasn't following much about the game beyond it looking pretty. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until release. I just want people to be educated, not silence Japanese critics who had problems with it, and then they can make their own opinions.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
Your well-reasoned perspective is as valid as anyone else's, but my initial post in this thread is specifically about the Westerners that take it upon themselves, prematurely, to decide whether or not something is going to be deemed problematic or offensive to a particular group, ethnicity, or culture. I don't use the word "woke", whether that's to pat myself on the back, or attack someone else for "not being woke enough".
and most of the criticism was coming from japanese and asian diaspora. people refer to us as 'westerners' whenever it's convenient so we can be dismissed as ignorant pearl clutching white people and refuse to further engage with what is being said. we are those 'particular groups, ethnicities, or cultures'. we also have perspectives that lay aside someone who was born, raised, and educated in japan and never moved anywhere else. no one writing critique of ghost of tsushima's themes and narratives did so out of some misguided belief the game would be terribly received in japan, they did so precisely because it wouldn't be terribly received in japan.

and to be honest i don't fully know what the second part of your post has to do with the argument mine was making. i am truly glad you're able to recognize fiction from history, but if you are self-conscious about that, i am not speaking to you. i think many people lack that introspection, which is why we have threads like this full of people like this. we have people in the thread right now who are clapping sucker punch on the back for how accurate ghost of tsushima is at the same time people are excusing its' indiscretions with comparisons to spaghetti westerns. and it's actually funny that you bring up yakuza, because there is actually a lot of criticism of that series about how it sanitizes who the yakuza are and what the yakuza actually do.

Is it really any difference for the reverence for Knights and chivalry and all that? Or the numerous Western military shooters?
wow it's almost like all of those things suck too and have contributed a lot to furthering very toxic things in culture that endure even today! i don't really see why it's worth bringing up in this thread though? like we can all agree on that?

i think when we all see someone with like a bust of a roman conqueror as their avatar or some crusader knight we can usually see that and go, hmm, that's a pretty big red flag there. maybe that person's a nazi. that romanticism and erasure of the past in the west is the same kind of romanticism and erasure that the samurai have experienced for japan's own fascists.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
So, this might be a product of the circles I follow, but the majority of discourse I've seen around the game when it comes to tone and representation is how problematic it has been. This article is one of the few things I've seen praising the game's portrayal. So I'm honestly really confused when people are saying their criticisms are being "shouted down" because I've seen the exact opposite... Anyone who praises the game is being shouted down for liking it and we're all supposed to think this is a tonal, historical and ultimately offensive mess.

Personally, I am not from that culture nor do I have even an inkling of knowledge surrounding this era. I haven't even really watched many samurai movies. For what it's worth, I'm enjoying the story so far, but not loving it. The characters are solid and I think it's really cool to have an almost entirely Asian cast.

This is a real stupid question though, so I'm ready to be completely berated for asking it... I get that samurai and samurai imagery eventually became associated with pro-imperialist messaging... But how is what is in the game doing that? I see it as natives of a country fighting off invaders from a home... So wouldn't it be about fighting back against colonizers? I've seen some dialogue about putting down a rebellion in Yarikawa, so maybe it stems from that? Would love to be educated, again apologies if this is completely going over my head.

Last edited:

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Usually when I see an article or whatever that has the vibe of "look, there's people of this culture who approve of (thing)", I can't help but feel like it's being used to dismiss concerns and/or criticism, especially criticism from diaspora. This seems to happen a whole lot with stuff relating to Asian culture, ex. discussions relating to cultural appropriation (qipao discussions give me a headache lol), whitewashing, etc.

The author of this article might not have intended it to be that way, but (as seen from the comments on the article, and even the first few posts of this thread) it gets used that way. Like that tweet from earlier... I'm very tired. I'm not Japanese (Chinese-American) but to borrow from that tweet posted earlier - these same old dismissals are very tiring, to say the least.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
this is why this article fucking sucks ass and i have no clue why it was published other than running interference in the exact way it's being deployed here already. japanese video game critics are paid to critique video games. most of them do not have history degrees, it may surprise some people here, but many japanese people know about as much about samurai as people in the west do. the entire popular concept of the samurai and bushido as noble warrior poets sold to the west was the same lie later sold to the japanese people by its' fascist government.

i am truly fucking sick of this.

THANK YOU. this, absolutely.

The entire plot and script can be reduced to "That wasn't bushido, bro!"
it's laughably stupid, not accurate, and embarrassing.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
This is a real stupid question though, so I'm ready to be completely berated for asking it... I get that samurai and samurai imagery eventually became associated with pro-imperialist messaging... But how is what is in the game doing that? I see it as natives of a country fighting off invaders from a home... So wouldn't it be about fighting back about colonizers? I've seen some dialogue about putting down a rebellion in Yarikawa, so maybe it stems from that? Would love to be educated, again apologies if this is completely going over my head.

This is something I'd really like to be expanded upon as well and be more educated. I've already learned a lot of the revisionist history from this thread which was super helpful.

The sentiments I'm getting from the game so far is that Jin has an internal conflict about the whole honor system and the rigid virtues of the samurai lifestyle. Like a lot of what his uncle says he internally doesn't agree with and feel the game is actually showcasing real issues with the samurai?

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, Kilrogg!

I find it really surprising that so many people still fall into the trap of "Well, people in that country like it, so their perspective wins!" It reminds me of when Ghost in the Shell's live action movie came out or people discuss white people wearing kimono/yukata/jinbei to some Japanese celebration. So often, people will silence the Japanese diaspora in preference of Japanese natives' opinions if those opinions parallel their views. That sucks. Why not listen to people who have knowledge, a different perspective, and their own criticisms?

Hey buddy :).

When it comes to history, based on anecdotal experience, I tend to be more skeptical of opinions people who are natives, especially if the country has problems with nationalism (like Japan) and/or the period goes back hundreds of years. In my experience, people largely suck at history, and their knowledge of it more often than not amount to mythologizing passed down through cultural osmosis. I'm including myself in this depiction btw.

I should note though: it's fine if you enjoy the game for what it is. You can acknowledge the problematic aspects and still enjoy the game. Just try to be aware of it and don't dismiss people who want to have a discussion about the game's historical shortcomings.

Jan 20, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissing minority concerns regarding representation
Well, this thread is going places.

Anyway, Samurais werent the good guys the same way knights werent good guys. Time for peopel to move on and no be upset just because a piece of media is not accurate.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Whether it's good is going to vary between, not everyone will agree it's positive or negative. There's been quite a lot of talk between Samurai and Romanizations, having finished the game, In the beginning of the story, GOT does talk a lot about samurai and honour but as the game progresses,
Jin is loved by the people and a legend because of breaking off from the code doing what it is necessary. He realized he didn't want to be a slave to old ways which resulted is throwing away lives pointlessly and a huge contention between his Uncle. Shogun ordering Tsushima's savior execution because of using less well looked upon methods is not something I'd say points to Samurai being held in such high regard. His Uncle suggests Yuna take the blame for Jin's actions if anything Jin taking full responsibility puts him above them. It shows they just use the codes when convenient and follow their own old mindsets of what battle is. Honor is mostly in reference to how a person kills but killing is killing, it's brutal and the receiving person mostly citizens you encounter in the game don't despair any better or worse through other means. Samurai want to claim to be ruling and honourable but how they define that is through force, and if they don't have people with them, can't really claim to be one, they're basically out of touch and there's a small dialogue from Yuna slightly after being asked by more which stands out about the typical resentment for Samurai. I can't say I agree that Samurai are looked well upon when the country is just about as divided because of Samurai constant failures. Also to note that the game pretty address in fairly significant way a lot of the bad things that were happening well before the invasion under the Samurai rules that went unnoticed. The idea that His Uncle tells about uniting the country is further from the truth which is why a lot of things went even worse that it could have

Last edited:

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I should note though: it's fine if you enjoy the game for what it is. You can acknowledge the problematic aspects and still enjoy the game. Just try to be aware of it and don't dismiss people who want to have a discussion about the game's historical shortcomings.
Exactly how I feel. I love some media that I have huge problems with.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's really fucking pathetic how fans here pat sony on the back for how they 'went woke and records broke' but the slightest hint of criticism that a game might not be 'woke' after all and all of a sudden the response is indistinguishable from pompous alt-right shitheads whining about over-sensitive westerners. asian diaspora are going to have different opinions than some japanese critics. we are not a monolith.

this is why this article fucking sucks ass and i have no clue why it was published other than running interference in the exact way it's being deployed here already. japanese video game critics are paid to critique video games. most of them do not have history degrees, it may surprise some people here, but many japanese people know about as much about samurai as people in the west do. the entire popular concept of the samurai and bushido as noble warrior poets sold to the west was the same lie later sold to the japanese people by its' fascist government. how much does the person reading this know actually know about cowboys, american revolutionaries and soldiers in the civil war besides movies and what grade 9 history taught you? do you think that would give you the exact same license to assess the historical accuracy or potential harm of something for someone who has actually studied these things? or maybe someone who's culture was irreparably impacted in some way because of american imperialism?

i'm not going to bother trying to continue arguing over this because this community truly does not give a fuck about any opinion from a marginalized person unless that opinion happens to make them feel real good about their current favourite video game. i'm sorry i think ghost of tsushima subscribes heavily into a nationalist retelling of japan's history popularized by a brutal empire we are not even a hundred years removed from. but yeah sure it's all faux outrage.

This is fantastic.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad that the game is being well received! I'm having a blast, this is the samurai version of Tenchu and I love it!

The sequel has everything to be an all time classic, can't wait for more samurai drama.

The only thing missing is a character modeled after Toshirô Mifune!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
THANK YOU. this, absolutely.

The entire plot and script can be reduced to "That wasn't bushido, bro!"
it's laughably stupid, not accurate, and embarrassing.

The game criticizes samurai at points, including having entire side quests dedicated to people that are wronged by them and what they resort to doing as a result. Saying the entire plot is just about showing samurai in a positive light I don't think is accurate. I haven't finished the game yet but they have certain characters that basically exist as a foil to the concept you're presenting here.

Well, this thread is going places.

Anyway, Samurais werent the good guys the same way knights werent good guys. Time for peopel to move on and no be upset just because a piece of media is not accurate.

If this doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother you, but please don't tell other people how to feel. It's condescending and unfair.

Cerulean_skylark

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So, this might be a product of the circles I follow, but the majority of discourse I've seen around the game when it comes to tone and representation is how problematic it has been. This article is one of the few things I've seen praising the game's portrayal.

I have not seen even a fraction of the negative pieces about this game that say, TLOU2 got even though this game is a pretty heinous example of orientalist fiction.

Saying the entire plot is just about showing samurai in a positive light I don't think is accurate.

This isn't what i said at all.

I was critisizing the fact that the game bases its' entire story on a code of honor that didn't exist, doesn't make sense within its own fiction, and is clearly an example of a westernized romanticism of an eastern lifestyle.

my whole "That ain't bushido, bro"

was a satirical quote that still accurately represents the primary dramatic drive of the core plot. Disregarding the single side quest you're referencing.

Last edited:

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
This is something I'd really like to be expanded upon as well and be more educated. I've already learned a lot of the revisionist history from this thread which was super helpful.

The sentiments I'm getting from the game so far is that Jin has an internal conflict about the whole honor system and the rigid virtues of the samurai lifestyle. Like a lot of what his uncle says he internally doesn't agree with and feel the game is actually showcasing real issues with the samurai?
Yeah... I'm in a similar boat. Again, I'm still early in Act 2, so things can change but... I really don't think this game is trying to glorify samurai. Like yes, it paints them as educated warriors who are ultimate badasses but it constantly CONSTANTLY calls out the privilege inherit to their nobility. One of the very first characters you meet is constantly calling out Jin and saying that he is out of touch with regular people. My reading on it is that samurai are cops who think they are doing things to make the world a better place and a majority of people who don't know any better agree with them, but there are plenty of people, especially people who lack social, political, and financial capital in the world that see Samurai to be as much of a problem as the Mongol invaders are. Jin's central conflict isn't just the whole honor vs. no honor thing, it's him finding out that the samurai "code" he is so attached to uses "honor" as a veil to justify doing whatever the hell they want. I have found that part of the story incredibly poignant so far.

Granted, a lot of this is from side quests because I keep getting distracted.

I have not seen even a fraction of the negative pieces about this game that say, TLOU2 got even though this game is a pretty heinous example of orientalist fiction.
I mean by and large, discourse around the game I've seen has been positive because people enjoy the mechanics. But I really haven't seen many folks who have much to say positive about the story and tone, and most people seem to actively dislike it. Again, could be the circles I follow. Also, TLOU2 is an unfair comparison lol. No game in recent memory has had quite the ride when it comes to the discourse with that game.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
and most of the criticism was coming from japanese and asian diaspora. people refer to us as 'westerners' whenever it's convenient so we can be dismissed as ignorant pearl clutching white people and refuse to further engage with what is being said. we are those 'particular groups, ethnicities, or cultures'. we also have perspectives that lay aside someone who was born, raised, and educated in japan and never moved anywhere else. no one writing critique of ghost of tsushima's themes and narratives did so out of some misguided belief the game would be terribly received in japan, they did so precisely because it wouldn't be terribly received in japan.

and to be honest i don't fully know what the second part of your post has to do with the argument mine was making. i am truly glad you're able to recognize fiction from history, but if you are self-conscious about that, i am not speaking to you. i think many people lack that introspection, which is why we have threads like this full of people like this. we have people in the thread right now who are clapping sucker punch on the back for how accurate ghost of tsushima is at the same time people are excusing its' indiscretions with comparisons to spaghetti westerns. and it's actually funny that you bring up yakuza, because there is actually a lot of criticism of that series about how it sanitizes who the yakuza are and what the yakuza actually do.
There's not always a consistent way to know who the person behind the keyboard is. I could enter old Ghost of Tsushima threads and give you a ton of examples of what I'm referring to, but I'm not going to spend my time doing that just to put a bunch of people on blast (which is against the rules, anyway). If you're Japanese diaspora and you find aspects of GoT problematic, then I'm not here to tell you you're wrong, so I guess we're cool? Keep on keeping on. As you say in the second part of your post: I am not speaking to you.

I'm aware of the criticism surrounding the Yakuza series. That's cool, but here's why I mentioned ability to separate fact from fiction: I sincerely don't think most people are going into this game and coming away from it with a message of "Whoa, I guess the yakuza aren't that bad, and some of them are even like cool superheroes that go around helping others! Awesome..." I'd hope it's the same thing with cowboys and samurai. Not only that, but I would dispute the notion of a sanitized yakuza depicted in these games. That may be true for certain ones (the protagonists and their allies), but the rest of them are depicted as scheming, conniving, cold-blooded, morally bankrupt people who will do anything, no matter how immoral, to ascend a hierarchy and gain power. It depicts that life as a road that will only result in pain, and that's also why the main character of the series isn't actually part of the organization for more than a little while in the first game and its prequel. Most of the series is actually about the main character trying to move on and build something meaningful with his life (adopting a daughter and running an orphanage), and remnants of his past life repeatedly coming back to haunt him and stand in the way of that goal.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That is good... I think.

Blessing from KFG remarked upon an observation he made (and given I have yet to play the title for myself I cannot shed any light on it). He said that the game towards the end does come off as quite nationalistic. I am unsure if the title itself espouses that belief or merely depicts it.

Overall, the game has been reviewing very well on average. And so holding opinions of Japanese game critics not all of whom would be versed in their nation's entire history, on a metaphorical pedestal to validate the title seems unnecessary.

Anyway, it is what it is and I am happy for SP.

Cerulean_skylark

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean by and large, discourse around the game I've seen has been positive because people enjoy the mechanics. But I really haven't seen many folks who have much to say positive about the story and tone, and most people seem to actively dislike it. Again, could be the circles I follow. Also, TLOU2 is an unfair comparison lol. No game in recent memory has had quite the ride when it comes to the discourse with that game.

I guess my gripe is... This game borders on a westernized racist fiction piece. This should dominate the discourse on this game

And i know they had some consultants, but their job wasn't to tell them not to make the game or tell the story, it was to get some details right, despite this massive problem.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So, this might be a product of the circles I follow, but the majority of discourse I've seen around the game when it comes to tone and representation is how problematic it has been. This article is one of the few things I've seen praising the game's portrayal. So I'm honestly really confused when people are saying their criticisms are being "shouted down" because I've seen the exact opposite... Anyone who praises the game is being shouted down for liking it and we're all supposed to think this is a tonal, historical and ultimately offensive mess.

Personally, I am not from that culture nor do I have even an inkling of knowledge surrounding this era. I haven't even really watched many samurai movies. For what it's worth, I'm enjoying the story so far, but not loving it. The characters are solid and I think it's really cool to have an almost entirely Asian cast.

This is a real stupid question though, so I'm ready to be completely berated for asking it... I get that samurai and samurai imagery eventually became associated with pro-imperialist messaging... But how is what is in the game doing that? I see it as natives of a country fighting off invaders from a home... So wouldn't it be about fighting back against colonizers? I've seen some dialogue about putting down a rebellion in Yarikawa, so maybe it stems from that? Would love to be educated, again apologies if this is completely going over my head.

On the surface level it romanticizes the Samurai despite the fact they were definitely not the bastion of honor and righteousness that is portrayed in media. The side quests touches on how they use and abuse people though.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
This is a real stupid question though, so I'm ready to be completely berated for asking it... I get that samurai and samurai imagery eventually became associated with pro-imperialist messaging... But how is what is in the game doing that? I see it as natives of a country fighting off invaders from a home... So wouldn't it be about fighting back about colonizers? I've seen some dialogue about putting down a rebellion in Yarikawa, so maybe it stems from that? Would love to be educated, again apologies if this is completely going over my head.
because it's a story about japanese exceptionalism. china fell, korea fell, but japan? japan stood strong. and japan owed that to the samurai - a samurai. this is the sort of propaganda that was disseminated by the imperial japanese government to justify the vast militarization of the country. japan needed to be strong, supported by a modern samurai of moral virtue, in order to resist foreign influence. it's important in general to note that the attempted mongolian invasions tsushima is about were politicized heavily by imperial japan - the infamous 'kamikaze' suicide bombers were named so after the storm that sunk the mongol fleet. reframing the story of tsushima into, as a previous poster put it, some east asian thermopylae (itself very fraught in how it's deployed in politics here) against a foreign horde plays very heavily into a nationalist narrative of 'invincible japan'.

and to be honest i don't see why i should make this a disclaimer but no, i do not think sucker punch endorses any of these things or intentionally set out to make a game about this. but this is what happens when you make a game all about the samurai power fantasy without examining any of why we have the image of samurai we do.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

It's one thing to preemptively chastise the game and being convinced it's gonna be shit historically speaking just because it's made by Westerners. And it's one thing to assume that the Japanese at large will hate it. Both those things are dumb and reek of weebery.

But it's another thing entirely to raise concerns about overromanticization of the samurai, making them behave like they're this caricature of honour, as if the bushido was a historical reality - it wasn't. To raise concerns about representing Mongols as these savage beasts. That's legitimate criticism, especially in a game that, by its very presentation, looks like it's trying to be a fairly realistic representation of what it's depicting. In many respects, it's not. Kinda like the Assassin's Creed games have the aesthetics of historical accuracy, but are really just goofy fun with gorgeous visuals where the only thing that's realistic is the architecture.

Japanese video game critics - some of them anyway - praising the game for its realistic portrayal of historical Japan doesn't speak to the game's historical accuracy. It speaks to those critics' lack of perspective on Japanese history. Which, I don't necessarily blame them for it - I suck at history -, but still. I think the way the first quote in the OP is quite telling: " Japanese historical dramas have been thoroughly studied and brought to life in a world that is very close to how we picture his period of Japan in our minds." How we picture... in our minds. Not how it actually was.

Again, it's like Western reviewers praising the Assassin's Creed historical accuracy. I don't care if the praise for, say, AC Unity comes from a French reviewer. That doesn't automatically make them a scholar on French history. That's just praise out of ignorance and/or possibly a vague misplaced sense of nationalism.
This is how I see things. The Japanese critics in the article feel like the game gets the verisimilitude right for what they think of as a samurai-era story. That's a credit to Sucker Punch getting a lot of details right. Even if the story is set hundreds of years before the samurai fiction that inspired it, Ghost of Tsushima properly matches the aesthetics, the language, and so on of those inspirations.

That's a different thing from the "samurai as nationalism" criticism, and I wouldn't expect a grab bag of four Japanese reviewers to be interested in that conversation any more than I'd expect four American game reviewers picked out of a hat to talk about Call of Duty's representation of the military, or Greek reviewers to talk about the impact of what Assassin's Creed Odyssey emphasizes in Greek history.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Shame to see some of the hostility in this thread. It's great that a lot of Japanese people appreciate the depiction of their culture in this game, but it's also worth discussing those of Japanese descent or heritage that don't agree with the depiction. Their opinions are just as valid. You can't seriously

At the end of the day, you can like Ghost of Tsushima and appreciate it's great depiction of a culture while accepting how elements of it can be seen as problematic by some. That doesn't take anything away from the game, it's just an interesting point of discourse that deserves a platform. Christ, people.

Pretty much this. As long as people bring awareness to what Samurai really are its definitely possible to appreciate the game for what it is.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
because it's a story about japanese exceptionalism. china fell, korea fell, but japan? japan stood strong. and japan owed that to the samurai - a samurai. this is the sort of propaganda that was disseminated by the imperial japanese government to justify the vast militarization of the country. japan needed to be strong, supported by a modern samurai of moral virtue, in order to resist foreign influence. it's important in general to note that the attempted mongolian invasions tsushima is about were politicized heavily by imperial japan - the infamous 'kamikaze' suicide bombers were named so after the storm that sunk the mongol fleet. reframing the story of tsushima into, as a previous poster put it, some east asian thermopylae (itself very fraught in how it's deployed in politics here) against a foreign horde plays very heavily into a nationalist narrative of 'invincible japan'.

and to be honest i don't see why i should make this a disclaimer but no, i do not think sucker punch endorses any of these things or intentionally set out to make a game about this. but this is what happens when you make a game all about the samurai power fantasy without examining any of why we have the image of samurai we do.
Interesting. That's absolutely the type of answer I was hoping for! And yeah, I knew that the samurai image eventually gets co-opted to perpetrate fascist notions of strength and nationalism. And after reading reviews prior to the game, I was totally expecting this game to be "rah rah GO SAMU-RAI" every ten seconds in my face, but I have found it thusfar to be... not that? Like I mentioned in an earlier post, many of the side quests in this game revolve around samurai essentially being cops, which means they are people who were given unmitigated power and SURPRISE SURPRISE, they abuse it and more importantly, shouldn't have had it in the first place. The most likeable character in the game for me thusfar (I am at the beginning of act 2) is pretty blatantly anti-samurai and is happy to deconstruct the notions of samurai power at every turn. I'm curious whether the game will continue to explore this in the main story, we'll see!

All that being said, I think the representation of the Mongols here sucks. They seem to have a fun scenery chewing villain as a leader and that's about it. No development and they are just made to look like savage invaders. Which hey, again, maybe I don't need a "both sides" story to the Mongols who were basically colonizing all of Asia at that point. But yes, it's a tough call when doing that ultimately creates a very nationalistic skew.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's a great example of how executing the setting and feel of a game can carry it.

I'm liking it so far but still hate the open world tropes lol.

I was interested in how Japanese people were seeing the game.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Good to hear. Although in the minority, I remember there were some who took it upon themselves to decide that Ghost of Tsushima would somehow disrespect Japanese history. Ironically, I'd wager that many of those people were not Japanese themselves.
Ah, I remember reading reviews in this tone and laughing out loud.

I'm used to it at this point - just more Western commentary telling Asian people what they should be offended by. Happy to see the positive Japanese reception.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
it's really fucking pathetic how fans here pat sony on the back for how they 'went woke and records broke' but the slightest hint of criticism that a game might not be 'woke' after all and all of a sudden the response is indistinguishable from pompous alt-right shitheads whining about over-sensitive westerners. asian diaspora are going to have different opinions than some japanese critics. we are not a monolith.

this is why this article fucking sucks ass and i have no clue why it was published other than running interference in the exact way it's being deployed here already. japanese video game critics are paid to critique video games. most of them do not have history degrees, it may surprise some people here, but many japanese people know about as much about samurai as people in the west do. the entire popular concept of the samurai and bushido as noble warrior poets sold to the west was the same lie later sold to the japanese people by its' fascist government. how much does the person reading this know actually know about cowboys, american revolutionaries and soldiers in the civil war besides movies and what grade 9 history taught you? do you think that would give you the exact same license to assess the historical accuracy or potential harm of something for someone who has actually studied these things? or maybe someone who's culture was irreparably impacted in some way because of american imperialism?

i'm not going to bother trying to continue arguing over this because this community truly does not give a fuck about any opinion from a marginalized person unless that opinion happens to make them feel real good about their current favourite video game. i'm sorry i think ghost of tsushima subscribes heavily into a nationalist retelling of japan's history popularized by a brutal empire we are not even a hundred years removed from. but yeah sure it's all faux outrage.

This is great. Props to you.

Speaking of Ghosts....Wasn't Ghost in The Shell (2017) perceived pretty good over there too?
i don't want to go off topic, but it doesn't matter what Japan thinks about that movie since it was an American produced film for a primarily American audience, and the controversy was casting a white person to play a Japanese character. American movies already suffer from the lack diversity and representation.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing an article about how some (vocal minority?) Chinese players felt insulted by the game.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Japanese judge western products and products made within Japan by entirely different merits, and games are still considered largely for children. I can't imagine them holding up any game to historical accuracy. If this was a game about being a train conductor and you were able to go 1kph over the real life speed limit of that particular train model though they'd be tearing this to shreds.

Avoid dismissiveness

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Just because some Japanese critics have praised Ghost of Tsushima does not mean that they represent the final word on criticisms with the game's portrayal of Japanese history and culture. No country or culture is a monolith. Many members, including Asian members, have brought up valid concerns about the game, so do not tone police or dismiss their concerns. Anyone that does so will be moderated accordingly.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
i think when we all see someone with like a bust of a roman conqueror as their avatar or some crusader knight we can usually see that and go, hmm, that's a pretty big red flag there. maybe that person's a nazi. that romanticism and erasure of the past in the west is the same kind of romanticism and erasure that the samurai have experienced for japan's own fascists.

Is this satire? Why would that be a red flag? What the hell?