• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
So excited for this game, but I cannot play it before I've cleared my backlog, which includes the following:

Uncharted Collection
Uncharted 4
Lords of the Fallen
Rayman Legends
Journey
The Last of Us
Sherlock Holmes: Devil's Daughter
Dragon Age
AC: Black Flag

I don't think I'll be getting GoT on release day. Arf.

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
SuckerPunch, please give me immersive, reactive water ripples! Even DF mentioned this. Hope it´s just an "old build".

Wind, gras...fine.....water not?? Details like this bother me.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've got blind faith in this one to be honest, I've enjoyed every one of the studios games.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I'm getting hyped for this game.
On the other hand, i miss a new iNFAMOUS game...

Jan 20, 2019
Imagine how frustrating it must be if you want to Ghost an enemy camp but it's 10 in the morning. You have to wait until dark, god knows how long.

Akin to Big Boss' phantom cigar in MGSV.

FlusteredThornyFlee-size_restricted.gif

You can play ghost during the day and something really cool actualy happens if you play.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The flute might be for quick travel. (Like the flute in ALttP?)
Could also be for changing the time of day but they said you can rest to get that effect as well.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Resolved Meter is definitely used for his techniques as well so you going to have strike a balance I guess which is cool.

I think it's to change the weather, bringing in the rain or something. one of the trailer mention that when the storm hits, they know the ghost is coming
lol that would be crazy

Btw if any of you see a new interview post it here please!

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We can reduce the shine effect on the items that we can pick up. He made a comparison with Red Ded Redemption which is for him a good and beautiful game but for Ghost of Tsushima they wanted the game to be pleasant as possible to play without having too many superfluous animations which break the rhythm and that is why Jin can pick up items on his horse.
Excellent.

I disliked the shining hud thing and I am really glad it is unlike Redemption 2. Gameplay is the thing that matters.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So excited for this game, but I cannot play it before I've cleared my backlog, which includes the following:

Uncharted Collection
Uncharted 4
Lords of the Fallen
Rayman Legends
Journey
The Last of Us
Sherlock Holmes: Devil's Daughter
Dragon Age
AC: Black Flag

I don't think I'll be getting GoT on release day. Arf.
That's not necessarily bad thing, Sony games tend to get a sale pretty quickly iirc so you could probably get it at 20-30% off about 2-4 months after release date

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Where is that confirmed?
DOnt have the exact source SP did say it at E3 2018
www.resetera.com

Ghost of Tsushima - Game details (E3 2018)

Main info: It’s an open-world samurai adventure. The game is grounded and realistic. There's no supernatural elements in this game. The game is a original work of fiction they are not rebuilding history stone by stone. It is much bigger than the games Sucker Punch have done in the past. A lot...

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for summing up all of the new info Loudninja !

Sounds awesome, just wondering how the combat feels to play now and how much depth it'll have. The multiple varying stances are interesting.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
He says he wanted the colours to be as vibrant as possible, yet half of the scenes that I've seen so far have saturated colours. :S

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
More stances? Hell yes I am even more hyped!
BTW has digital foundry confirmed any downgrade at all?? Loudninja ( I don't think it's downgraded though)

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Combat is very difficult
Even though we saw someone slicing through enemies in the State of Play, I assumed that this player was very skilled, and that the eventual gameplay will be way harder on us. Nate completely agreed with me. "We are trying to make a grounded game in that sense, so a couple blows from the enemy will kill you. The game is very challenging. We have three words to describe the combat: Mud, blood and steel. We absolutely honor the lethality of the sword. We watched samurai movies and people go down with one or two strikes, and that is embedded inside of the combat. Beating the Mongols in battle will be hard, but it's that challenge that makes it feel alive and the victory rewarding. You can't just run into a camp and fight 5 people at the same time, you will get overwhelmed and die."

Engaging combat and succeeding won't be easy, and you probably have to use everything you got to win a fight, and most importantly play smart. Sucker Punch wants to honor this trait from old samurai movies, by introducing one-on-one stand-offs against other swordsman, that will prove to be very challenging. "One thing we didn't show at State of Play which I wish we had, was that the game features duels against other expert swordsman. This is classic samurai stuff. Those fights are incredibly difficult and they're driven from personality and get solved in the most cinematic way possible, which is also true to fantasy. You need to study your opponent and understand how they attack in order to win."

"What you saw in the presentation was some side action in the game. It was not part of one's particular story. The map has Mongolians everywhere, and the main part will be Jin's transformation from being a samurai to overtime becoming the Ghost. Next to that story you will meet people that try to survive in the world, with stories that will branch of off the main one. That is what the body of the game is made up off."
"By not following Jin's story and going after your curiosity, you will definitely become stronger than by just following Jin's story in one line, but more importantly, you get a way more varied and interesting experience. There are all sorts of hidden stories and items you get acces to by following your curiosity. This is why we didn't add markers on the map. We want you to get lost in Tsushima, that when you are heading to a hill, you suddenly hear a bird you think, maybe I will follow that instead. Just get lost from the one thing to the next, and we want to give you the tools and freedom to do that."
nordic.ign.com

Ghost of Tsushima Creative Director says combat is very challenging - Interview

Jin has to become the Ghost as one of the last samurai.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of work went into horse genitalia are we even asking any of the important questions in here?

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Good to know about the animations, or lack thereof and it's good that they used RDR2 as an example of what not to do with your animations.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I like that they made looting instant. With RDR2 I just stopped looting bodies as the animation took too long.

That was one of the things I liked most at the State of Play demo. I don't need to see drawn out animations for mundane tasks like picking up berries or opening crates. We'll be doing that thousands of times throughout a large game, that's thousands of minor annoyances eliminated.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
missable stuff or just miss it because it's not write with a giant exclamation mark into the map ? I really don't like missable stuff.... even more in open world game.

We say the map a few times in the State of Play, and there were question marks and marking on it, so I imagine it won't be as difficult to miss as you're thinking.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Reading the various things about the combat really goes to show how poorly they showed that aspect in that State of Play. I look forward to seeing more in-depth videos on that, later. I still don't feel like I understand the tennis ball thing in practice. I need to see it implemented.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Oh hell yeah!
"The map we showed at the State of Play was VERY zoomed in
"The map we showed during the State of Play was VERY zoomed in", Fox explains. "That was just a little portion of the starting area, the actual map is huge." Fox goes on to say that It's the biggest thing they have ever done at Sucker Punch, and it's also a lot more diverse. "Tsushima Island covers the biomes you can find on main land Japan, from snowy mountains to bamboo forests, to waterfalls and rolling grasslands, it's all there." Even though the map is very big, Sucker Punch made sure it won't feel empty. "We want to give enough stuff to keep it electrifying for the player. We didn't want to make a huge map and have nothing on it. So it's packed with people, items and stories to explore."
nordic.ign.com

Ghost of Tsushima Creative Director says combat is very challenging - Interview

Jin has to become the Ghost as one of the last samurai.

Jan 20, 2019
Reading the various things about the combat really goes to show how poorly they showed that aspect in that State of Play. I look forward to seeing more in-depth videos on that, later. I still don't feel like I understand the tennis ball thing in practice. I need to see it implemented.

It is easy to understand, you have x number of balls and certain action cost a y number of balls to use (healing, speceal attack) stuff like that

If you attack enemies you gain the balls back.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

FFVIIR gameplay reveal is the best way to do it imo, as soon as that demo started they explained very clearly how the combat works and at the same time they made it look exciting.

Ghost of Tsushima State of Play was also very good but the way combat looks and how you can compare it to earlier Assassin's Creeds made it obvious that it needed some explanatios.

Oct 25, 2017

I thought combat was shown just fine. Not everything needs to be explained in depth when the sell is the style of combat.

It's a parry based system that inevitably leads to looking easy when done with perfection. That's the basis of parries really and we got to see that in action.

You want to eliminate enemies so as to not get overwhelmed. You build up resolve through parries and likely want to use special abilities to quickly eliminate one or two enemies to keep the encounter size manageable.

Add in combat stances for different enemy types or group based combat, ghost style for reducing the Mongol number advantage, and gadgets and a pretty clear idea forms of how a scenario might play out.