• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a fan of the the grounded route the game has taken?

• Yes

Votes: 816 79.8%
  • No

Votes: 87 8.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 119 11.6%

• Total voters

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Every change made to the game for the sake of looking cooler, more familiar, or more fun has historical and political baggage.

Since my posts have been way more controversial than I expected, let me explain in detail why I think it's wrong to call this game "grounded," by any stretch of the term:

The game is set during the first Mongol invasion of Japan in the late 1200s. Tsushima was a key landing point for the Mongolian army, and they completely overwhelmed the Japanese defenses. The Mongolian army had superior technology like hardened leather armor and explosives that dwarfed anything the Japanese army had. In particular, the traditional tachi swords samurai of the time wielded were useless against Mongolian armor. After a series of brutal defeats, the Japanese were finally able to repel the invasion force when reinforcements outnumbered the soldiers the Mongolians had brought on their ships, and stormy weather made the Mongolian naval retreat very costly. Ultimately numbers, knowledge of their home terrain, and sheer force of will won the day for Japan--and perhaps a bit of divine intervention or luck, depending on how you see things. After nearly succumbing to an invading force, weapon and armor technology and development of new battle strategy was kicked into high gear so Japan could be ready next time an invading force knocked on their door.

That's a pretty good story, right? Pretty inspiring, it's a very interesting part of history, and it's a great setting for a video game. Japanese history rocks! I love samurai, and katanas, and bushido. Who doesn't? Only, in the 1200s, samurai didn't wield katanas. In fact, their tachis having a hard time cutting through Mongolian armor is a big part of what made these battles so desperate for the Japanese. So adding in cooler looking swords and armor suddenly robs this story of the underdog angle. The katana of the style we typically associate with Samurai didn't become common until the 1400s. My previous posts joked about a Civil War soldier carrying an M16, but it's really not that far off.

Here's a quote from one of the developers about the armor in the game:

"We wanna make sure that what we give you is your fantasy of what being a wandering samurai is." The warring states period the armor in the game is pulled from was the late 16th century, well after Japan had refined all of the technological advancements the Mongol invasion almost three centuries prior had inspired. So, not only is it anachronistic (I should note here that I'm not strictly anti-anachronism! anachronism can be fun!) it robs the story they're telling of any consequences. The very thing this war directly lead to is already present in the game's vision of Japan, purely for the sake of marketability. Our main character trains using ninjutsu techniques, but just like katanas and samurai plate, ninjutsu was developed in the 1300s, post-Mongolian invasions.

These changes have a ripple effect on the story and what it ends up saying about history. If katanas, ninjutsu, and plate mail already exist, the Mongolian invaders are no longer a technologically superior adversary being beaten back by the underdog defenders. Instead of being the hard-won lessons of a brutal war, the warring states period weapons we all know and love are just inherent to Japan. This is history stripped of any context; it's now just a story about an invading force who are no match for Our Cool Protagonist With Cool Japanese Stuff We Recognize. It turns a story about a phyrric victory and what a nation learned in its wake into a mish-mash of stereotypes we recognize because we watched Kurosawa movies in college. That's not grounded, that's pure fantasy.

anyway, the game looks fun. I'll happily go into batman mode and murk some bad guys, but just because it doesn't have literal magic in it doesn't mean it can't be absurd fiction. It's a lightly history flavored 80s action movie.
Thank you!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Every change made to the game for the sake of looking cooler, more familiar, or more fun has historical and political baggage.

Since my posts have been way more controversial than I expected, let me explain in detail why I think it's wrong to call this game "grounded," by any stretch of the term:

The game is set during the first Mongol invasion of Japan in the late 1200s. Tsushima was a key landing point for the Mongolian army, and they completely overwhelmed the Japanese defenses. The Mongolian army had superior technology like hardened leather armor and explosives that dwarfed anything the Japanese army had. In particular, the traditional tachi swords samurai of the time wielded were useless against Mongolian armor. After a series of brutal defeats, the Japanese were finally able to repel the invasion force when reinforcements outnumbered the soldiers the Mongolians had brought on their ships, and stormy weather made the Mongolian naval retreat very costly. Ultimately numbers, knowledge of their home terrain, and sheer force of will won the day for Japan--and perhaps a bit of divine intervention or luck, depending on how you see things. After nearly succumbing to an invading force, weapon and armor technology and development of new battle strategy was kicked into high gear so Japan could be ready next time an invading force knocked on their door.

That's a pretty good story, right? Pretty inspiring, it's a very interesting part of history, and it's a great setting for a video game. Japanese history rocks! I love samurai, and katanas, and bushido. Who doesn't? Only, in the 1200s, samurai didn't wield katanas. In fact, their tachis having a hard time cutting through Mongolian armor is a big part of what made these battles so desperate for the Japanese. So adding in cooler looking swords and armor suddenly robs this story of the underdog angle. The katana of the style we typically associate with Samurai didn't become common until the 1400s. My previous posts joked about a Civil War soldier carrying an M16, but it's really not that far off.

"We wanna make sure that what we give you is your fantasy of what being a wandering samurai is." The warring states period the armor in the game is pulled from was the late 16th century, well after Japan had refined all of the technological advancements the Mongol invasion almost three centuries prior had inspired. So, not only is it anachronistic (I should note here that I'm not strictly anti-anachronism! anachronism can be fun!) it robs the story they're telling of any consequences. The very thing this war directly lead to is already present in the game's vision of Japan, purely for the sake of marketability. Our main character trains using ninjutsu techniques, but just like katanas and samurai plate, ninjutsu was developed in the 1300s, post-Mongolian invasions.

These changes have a ripple effect on the story and what it ends up saying about history. If katanas, ninjutsu, and plate mail already exist, the Mongolian invaders are no longer a technologically superior adversary being beaten back by the underdog defenders. Instead of being the hard-won lessons of a brutal war, the warring states period weapons we all know and love are just inherent to Japan. This is history stripped of any context; it's now just a story about an invading force who are no match for Our Cool Protagonist With Cool Japanese Stuff We Recognize. It turns a story about a phyrric victory and what a nation learned in its wake into a mish-mash of stereotypes we recognize because we watched Kurosawa movies in college. That's not grounded, that's pure fantasy.

anyway, the game looks fun. I'll happily go into batman mode and murk some bad guys, but just because it doesn't have literal magic in it doesn't mean it can't be absurd fiction. It's a lightly history flavored 80s action movie.

Yup. It's not historically accurate pretty much at all, and it's disappointing they're trying to pretend it is. If they were really going all-in on the "wandering samurai" archetype, they should've picked a time period where that would actually be appropriate.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yup. It's not historically accurate pretty much at all, and it's disappointing they're trying to pretend it is. If they were really going all-in on the "wandering samurai" archetype, they should've picked a time period where that would actually be appropriate.

not to engage in 'tu quoque' but i'll like your take on the Assassin's Creed games too.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yes

Vikings and Samurai grounded games I have waited such a long time for

I can finally cross one of the list and I cannot wait

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
not to engage in 'tu quoque' but i'll like your take on the Assassin's Creed games too.

I'm not a fan of AC either. Their use of the time periods they're set in always feels more exploitative than actually informative. And the games themselves are so unfathomably repetitive and dull they put me to sleep. Fighting regular humans over and over and over and over again is so damn boring.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

Great post, but I can easily see how they couldn't harmonize this with fun gameplay. Compromises had to be made.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's (as far as we know) not "GIANT ENEMY CRABS" levels of "real Japanese history", but this is pretty much the main problem right here. The devs are presenting Kamakura Era Japan as...a weird Sengoku/Tokugawa Era mishmash, apparently?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
They could've picked another time period if katanas and lacquered armor were a necessity.

They could have, but without having had time to research, did Japan go through any dramatic moments like the Mongol Invasion in a more appropriate period like the 1400's? I can't recall any big moments in their history in that time at least until Matthew C Perry in 1854.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They could have, but without having had time to research, did Japan go through any dramatic moments like the Mongol Invasion in a more appropriate period like the 1400's? I can't recall any big moments in their history in that time at least until Matthew C Perry in 1854.

There were plenty of dramatic moments in the times after the Mongol Invasion. Even if you're trying to (understandably) avoid the Sengoku era, there were hundreds of years of conflicts and wars to draw from.

We really need a good, grounded shinobi game. Especially since this is based on the Mongolian invasion of an actual location in Japan.

Shinobi weren't real. Not in the way that people think they are.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

the warring states period, where all the stuff they want to use came from anyway.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure. It's the most interesting upcoming PS exclusive for sure, but I guess there is a risk that it'll become stale after awhile if it's too realistic. Main protagonist is more like a ninja than a samurai though and ninjas are awesome.

Nov 4, 2017
The fact that ghost appears to survive two arrows to the back kind of kills the idea of it being grounded for me. While I get the idea of "it doesn't have explicit fantasy elements", it still has that western/martial arts thing where the character has to be superhuman to explain their survival/feats.

But I'm fine with the way the game appears, in hyped for it.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
There were plenty of dramatic moments in the times after the Mongol Invasion. Even if you're trying to (understandably) avoid the Sengoku era, there were hundreds of years of conflicts and wars to draw from.
the warring states period, where all the stuff they want to use came from anyway.

I guess they could have gone with this and it would have made more sense, but I can see it from the devs perspective too not wanting to deviate so much that they end up with Japanese fighting each other rather than a foreign enemy. Still, the warring states period is a criminally underutilized setting now that I think about it. There has really been nothing that does that period justice since SHOGUN 2.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I guess they could have gone with this and it would have made more sense, but I can see it from the devs perspective too not wanting to deviate so much that they end up with Japanese fighting each other rather than a foreign enemy. Still, the warring states period is a criminally underutilized setting now that I think about it. There has really been nothing that does that period justice since SHOGUN 2.
Bruh.

Sengoku Japan is very well mined for video games at this point, particularly by Japanese developers.

Jun 23, 2019
The fact that ghost appears to survive two arrows to the back kind of kills the idea of it being grounded for me. While I get the idea of "it doesn't have explicit fantasy elements", it still has that western/martial arts thing where the character has to be superhuman to explain their survival/feats.

But I'm fine with the way the game appears, in hyped for it.

Uh you realize you can survive two arrows to the back right? Lol The man didn't get shot with a AR15.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Were there not spies employed by royalty who were trained in the ways of intelligence gathering and "unconventional warfare" (so to speak) during that era of Japanese culture?

Right. But people are expecting dudes running around on rooftops in all black and stabbing people in the back with katanas and that's not what historical shinobi actually did. Most of the confirmed information we actually have on real shinobi is significantly more mundane. They would dress up as women and hide in an enemy's court to gather information, or they would set supply lines on fire while guards were asleep, etc. And even then, they STILL didn't show up until a few hundred years after the Mongol Invasion.

The idea of a "ninja warrior" was born from pop culture.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I love it when games do the thing where legends or myths slowly creep into the narrative until they reach the 11th hour, Uncharted "oh shit these things are real and they're pissed" climax. Kinda hoping GoT goes that route.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Right. But people are expecting dudes running around on rooftops in all black and stabbing people in the back with katanas and that's not what historical shinobi actually did. Most of the confirmed information we actually have on real shinobi is significantly more mundane. They would dress up as women and hide in an enemy's court to gather information, or they would set supply lines on fire while guards were asleep, etc.

The idea of a "ninja warrior" was born from pop culture.
Yeah, I see what you're saying in context to what we'll be doing in this game (almost like the Mel Gibson "Patriot" movie of the Mongol invasion). I guess they were more like what the CIA or MI6 would be by today's standards.

In relation to the topic, I'm still seeing this "Ghost" like ex-samurai as more grounded compared to anything supernatural from Japanese mythology, like in Sekiro (game of the year hype) or Nioh.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i put unsure because i am unsure of what the grounded gameplay will be like

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I see what you're saying in context to what we'll be doing in this game (almost like the Mel Gibson "Patriot" movie of the Mongol invasion). I guess they were more like what the CIA or MI6 would be by today's standards.

In relation to the topic, I'm still seeing this "Ghost" like ex-samurai as more grounded compared to anything supernatural from Japanese mythology, like in Sekiro (game of the year hype) or Nioh.
Sekiro and Nioh were both upfront in the billing of their fantasy elements and neither pretend to be based on historical events.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Ghost of Tsushima is a historical fiction game and I think we need greater representation in that genre, with Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire cornering that category. I don't think there's been a historical fiction samurai open-world game before so I wholeheartedly support Sucker Punch's vision. I don't expect this game to be a history lesson as some folks expect it to, but it should be an excellent video game nonetheless.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

That's a closer way to describe it, yeah.

That said, I'm not sure how a game completely making up a fictional kind of ninja that didn't exist in the time period the game is set, using technology that hadn't been invented yet during that time period, is any more grounded than games with open and honest fantasy elements. It's still fantasy, it's just fantasy without magic.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

That said, I'm not sure how a game completely making up a fictional kind of ninja that didn't exist in the time period the game is set, using technology that hadn't been invented yet during that time period, is any more grounded than games with open and honest fantasy elements. It's still fantasy, it's just fantasy without magic.
I'd argue a game set in the Heian era about onmyoji actually capable of mystical acts would be more realistic given onmyoji were actually a thing in the Heian era and the people back then believed in their powers.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States

Right on. I guess I should reword my stance on the game being "more grounded" than "realistic".

Anyway, I'm cool with it being more "grounded" fantasy, in that real historical "ninja" didn't stealth around stabbing dudes from the shadowy rooftops, as opposed to being about mythical japanese ghosts and monsters.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of AC either. Their use of the time periods they're set in always feels more exploitative than actually informative. And the games themselves are so unfathomably repetitive and dull they put me to sleep. Fighting regular humans over and over and over and over again is so damn boring.
I feel the same way, keeps me away from stuff like Red Dead too. It's hard for me to get excited when I know all the enemies are going to be samey humans - it's like there's a hard ceiling on how surprising things can potentially get.

Last edited:

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I wouldn't call it grounded. As others pointed there are exaggerations, mischaracterizations and other innaccuracies.
That said, that it doesn't seem until now to include mystical fantastical elements is cool and helps to set the setting apart

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I see where you're coming from but I believe the changes youre proposing for the sake of historical accuracy aren't really applicable or practical in a game of this style. If we were talking about a game like total war, I'd totally agree with you that historical accuracy is needed. But in a game where you control a single character doing the fighting on his own, how do you think these changes would make for an interesting and realistic Gameplay?
They wouldn't. Give our main character historically accurate armor and weapon and we shouldn't be able to kill a single enemy if realism is what you're after.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its still a videogame in the end just because they going for more grounded does not mean they going to extreme with it. I mean the OP even goes over this.

Fox made it clear that the story their telling in "Ghosts of Tsushima," while rooted in real history, is a complete work of fiction. We won't be exploring a "brick for brick" recreation of the country and historical time period but it will explore themes that are based around the Mongol invasion of Japan in 1274.
"This is a story about real people trying to survive in the brutality of this invasion, so we're trying to tell that through a fixed-narrative, We even look at the side quests as an anthology."
"History is incredibly important as context for the game, but we're not trying to reproduce it," Fox said. "In fact, the original invasion was foiled by a kamikaze, the Mongol boats were sunk by a hurricane. Our hero isn't a hurricane, he's a man, and we actually acknowledge that change with his sword that's engraved with storm wind designs."

variety.com

‘Ghosts of Tsushima’ Mixes History, Fiction and Open World Action

‘Ghosts of Tsushima’ Mixes History, Fiction, and Open World Action

Last edited:

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take grounded or something close to it over everything all the time. Its how I love my WWS games ;)

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I see where you're coming from but I believe the changes youre proposing for the sake of historical accuracy aren't really applicable or practical in a game of this style. If we were talking about a game like total war, I'd totally agree with you that historical accuracy is needed. But in a game where you control a single character doing the fighting on his own, how do you think these changes would make for an interesting and realistic Gameplay?
They wouldn't. Give our main character historically accurate armor and weapon and we shouldn't be able to kill a single enemy if realism is what you're after.
But it would justify the character being sneaky and stealth killing people - because he'd be at too much of a disadvantage otherwise.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It's just bereft of the mystical or supernatural, not an accurate representation of the period.

The real shinobis back then valued survival and ability to traverse long distances a hundred times more than combat. In fact they don't even use shurikens as they are hard to carry, heavy and hella expensive. You have to understand that iron is very precious in medieval Japan and throwing shurikens are pretty much akin to shooting gold plated 9mm rounds. Additionally the kunai were mostly used for digging and climbing instead of being thrown or as weapons. It's all not very sexy but they're there to get timely information back to their retainers not as special forces or even irregulars. News of enemy movements is worth more than one ninja going ham on enemy patrol units.

The whole ninja concept with the black garb is one massively successful marketing project.

In any case if you're interested in the mongol invasions but don't want to read relatively dry accounts by Conlan and the like you can always read Kumagai, a semi fictional account of a samurai in the thick of the action.

Last edited:

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
When we had the last grounded samurai game?

We already have Nioh and Sekiro for fantasy, so I'm glad looking at the poll results

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
When we had the last grounded samurai game?

We already have Nioh and Sekiro for fantasy, so I'm glad looking at the poll results
Depends on what you mean by grounded.

The Way of the Samurai series is relatively grounded, but are set far, far later than Ghosts of Tsushima. Those games typically are about a player as a lone samurai in a sandbox location where their actions have a direct impact on the direction of the story. But even those games have influence from old samurai flicks. That being said, WotS is not known for anything supernatural.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Judging from the trailers, I wouldn't hold my breath for a really grounded story, but yes, it would be nice to have a somewhat grounded gritty "historical" game.
We can already be magic assassins in recent AC games, after all.