• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This should be a thing for Sony going forward ,single game SOP works well.
Anyway, we're clearly not the only ones who enjoyed watching Ghost of Tsushima emerge from the shadows, as the gameplay deep dive is now the most watched State of Play yet. Its view count clocks in at 1.5 million views in just three days since it premiered. The closest State of Play in terms of views is the one from September 2019, which ended with a trailer for The Last of Us: Part II. It currently sits at 750,000 views, which means that there's quite a gap between first and second place.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Did Spider-Man not have one? I feel like that would've gotten numbers too.

Good for Sony and Sucker Punch, I am shocked it beat TLoU2 but new Sony IPs always bring the hype.

Oct 24, 2019
No surprise there. It was their best constructed SOP yet that gave us a deep dive on a game that many people were super hungry for

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Makes sense as it's pretty much one of the very few SoPs that feature a major first party game, and the other ones that did were not extensive as this one.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Was a good showing and hopefully Sony take note and see the positive reactions on how they can best structure future State of Plays.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
What, I thought it was too generic and derivative with lame gameplay and downgraded graphics/s

Congrats to Sucker Punch. Game is shaping up to be their breakout success even more so than Sly or InFamous

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Probably helps that they showed so little gameplay for this one in the previous years leading up to the SoP.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's nice to hear. It was the best State of Play so far and one of the best examples of a deep dive I've ever seen.

Sony needs to do it for all of their big games.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Are you factoring in the many other channels that upload the same gameplay? I doubt LoU is trailing behind GoT

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deserved. But still amazing how sont first party output are hits on hits. Quality is amazing
Killzone / infamous / drive club / last of us / dreams / gran tourismo/ god of war / uncharted / gravity rush / Spider-Man / ghost of tsushima / ratchet and clank / horizon / Astro bots / days gone / blood and truth / iron man Vr

all this , in a single gen. Impressive

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let's hope they keep state of play for deep dives into their premiere games. Find a new format for announcements.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, I think this is how they should use State of Play moving forwards. Was a very enjoyable watch.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
It beating TLOU2/RE3's State of Play is interesting... This is the format Sony, you finally cracked the code.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
It was a great deep dive into the game. Kind of reminds me of those Rockstar hype videos. Just like those it works in giving insight into what exactly the game is trying to be and keeping plenty behind closed doors.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Wow it took days. I know I've seen it multiple times, in addition to watching a variety of live streamer/youtuber reactions, which doesn't count toward the overall number. Good shit Sucker Punch, you hit this one out of the park!

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah SoPs are a great way to give us an in-depth look into how a game plays.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Just wished they used a better narrator. I thought he lacked enthusiasm.
Qy4XqtBKqSMEuNW1Gh4wJ_XcleEVz2ST1nTcaTYOS1BBmEa5HkoMcmjxuyjOU3OMt-T9xcmZEnmlqSmgi8fgVlJbxybpRT-j5uB1k90U0ULPV-o

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It's the best one they've made so far. The others has been pretty poor, but they definately improved on the formula when going on the one game focus

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
For future SOPs they should just be deep dives into 1 or 2 titles from first party, what Sony has done really well this gen is those types of gameplay demonstrations. Think about The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn, God Of War, Days Gone initial trailers and now Ghost Of Tsushima, they didn't have much in the way of commentary and they immersed you into the world.

MinionZero

Jan 14, 2018
I mean, it is the first lengthy overview of a game that comes out in two months and whose previous overview was an extended trailer of some gameplay footage during the Game Awards.

I would hope it would be among the better performing State of Plays.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Was it the first time they announced what game would appear for one of these? It might also help that we didn't have much media before this SOP. The SOPs for the PS5 games will break records i imagine and cement these things as Sony's direct equivalents.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm surprised, but FF7 didn't get a whole State of Play dedicated to it.

In addition to what The Last One said...

FF VII was also a surprise trailer. they didn't announce it beforehand. We knew it thanks to insider.

Square-Enix masterfully gave their own Final Fantasy VII gameplay presentation at E3 2019. I realize it's associated with PlayStation but Final Fantasy VII - unlike Ghost - is not a Sony game. That said, if Square wanted Sony to do a SOP blowout I'm sure they would have, but they clearly wanted to do their own and it made for my favorite moment of that E3.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I think that i like this format better instead of showing off multiple games at once. It gives them a chance to give in depth information putting the spotlight on on individual titles.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
It was good to finally see a game demo again. I was honestly convinced we were done seeing public demos.