• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Dialogue do you prefer?

• English

Votes: 256 45.7%
  • Japanese

Votes: 304 54.3%

• Total voters

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I'm guessing the people who say lip sync is a deal breaker probably don't play many low-budget Japanese games, because many of them don't even try to have proper lip sync in general.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Was grumpy about the lack of Japanese lip sync initially but then I wore mask for 95% of the game. Went with Japanese VO in the end.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Is lip sync going to be patched in for Japanese dialog? Or is that too much time and effort to expect it?

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Very weird how they created an entire "Kurosawa mode" yet have zero options for subtitle size. I have no idea why game devs insist on having subs be these tiny little footnotes rather than a real accessibility feature.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Very weird how they created an entire "Kurosawa mode" yet have zero options for subtitle size. I have no idea why game devs insist on having subs be these tiny little footnotes rather than a real accessibility feature.

The weirder thing is that they have a black and white mode, and yet enemies unblockable or parryable attacks are color coded and they didn't change that for the Kurosawa mode.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
The English dub is great, and uses the voices of the mocaped cast. I switch to japanese once in awhile, but it's simpler in english.

Oct 27, 2017
Voted japanese but played in English after a few hours because of lipsyncing. If the game had Jap lipsyncing this would be a no brainer

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I started in JP but the goofy lip syncing annoyed me to no end, considering this is a pretty serious game.
Switched to English and it is seriously good, they did absolutey stellar job, even NPCs have decent sounding accents.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I really enjoyed the English voice cast. It's top notch quality across the board.

I've heard a bit of the Japanese track and I feel like Jin sounds too agitated and on edge versus his English counterpart. Felt really weird after being used to English Jin hah.

And anyway, not only are the subtitles small, incidental dialogue during gameplay isn't subtitled at all. Not really a choice for me. I don't speak a lick of Japanese.

And English is the source language and the way the creators meant for the game to be experienced. That's just the way it is. I don't do dubs. I didn't play Assassin's Creed II in Italian either.
It's true, I like the English cast but English Jin is much more subdued, like the VA was going for Samurai Jack vibes. All other things being the same, I prefer Japanese Jin's more powerful presence, but the technical shortcomings have made me stick with the English track, namely:
  • Subtitles are too small
  • No subtitles for random NPC banter
I hope SP will address these in a future patch but for now I'll stick with the Eng VA.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the game in Japanese audio and don't plan on ever playing it in english.

I guess I did notice the lip sync thing when I was looking for it because people had brought it up, but I don't notice it when playing the game because if people are talking I'm too busy reading lol.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
i played in english. after catching a couple streams of people that played japanese, i'm glad i played english. the voices just sound off in japanese, not even taking into account they're not synced.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I started with Japanese, but reading subtitles in playable segments was pretty hard and distracting so I switched back to English.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
I was gonna play in Japanese then I realized npcs you pass by have no subtitles and you're clueless to what their saying so I switched to English.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
I would prefer Japanese with English subtitles but the world just so beautiful and striking to look at that I won't want to move my eyes away to read subtitles, especially when riding and talking with characters.

Second playthrough will be Japanese for sure.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I was going to do Japanese with English subtitles originally but after seeing how small the subtitles were and how dialogue animation was crafted around English ... I went with English dialogue. I would have preferred to play the way I intended to originally but to be honest the voice acting is actually pretty decent.

3bada

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was too focused on reading the subs to notice the lipsync issues, went for jp audio

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Damn, reading more and more responses here I've gone from I will def play in Japanese with subtitles, to now I'm really not sure and perhaps English voices is the way to go :/

Oct 27, 2017
I started in Japanese audio but the tiny subtitles at the bottom of the screen were way too distracting especially when there was dialogue going on during gameplay. I ended up switching to English audio which I'm fine with.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't even tried english, it makes sense for me to play it in japanese given the settings. It's like I would not want to play GTA with a japanese or french or whatever dub.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
The english VA is very robotic and the overall writing in the game is meh. At least playing in Japanese masks that to an extent.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese voice acting is fantastic. The mismatched lip-sync wasn't that bad to offset that.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
URpr2hv.jpg

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's from western devs, the lip sync is for English vo and the script was written originally in English. If it at least had Japanese lip sync then for sure Japanese with subs. But now English all the way

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to play a Samurai game and not use the voice track with Zoro. Helps that the rest of the VO's are fantastic as well. Lip Sync doesn't bother me, barely notice it after the first 2 minutes of the game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Playing in Japanese and it's perfect to me. My char always has mask on so lip sync doesn't bother me.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As others mentioned, the subtitles are a bit too small in this game, so I opted for english voices. They're high quality, at least. I really wish subtitle size could be set.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Do most of the people, who have Japanese dialogue turned on, understand the language? Because there seems to be loads of instances where background npcs talk and it isn't subtitled. You'll be missing out on a fair bit by not understanding what they say.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I find it baffling that they were super in on their Kurosawa homage but they chose not to lip sync the Japanese audio.
Surely if anything it should of been the English that wasn't lip synced.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese dub, the lip sync isn't much of an issue since you'll be reading the subtitles while also taking in the scenes. No reason to be laser focused on their mouths.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Unless they've fixed it, the japanse dialogue is pretty much unplayable with the lack of sync.
That and the translations felt very off to me.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I switched to Japanese after this thread.

The thing is, you're mostly looking at the subtitles to notice the lip sync.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I played a hour or so in Japanese but switched to English and never went back. The lip sync is lame, the subtitles way to small and honestly I wasn't enjoying it as much. The English voice cast does a superb job.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
English. Subs are too small and pushed down near the bottom of the screen so i don't actually watch the cutscene. English va is fine and the lip syncing isn't bad so i'm rolling with that.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I could never play a game in japanese setting without japanese voices, it just sounds off.

Shame about lipsyncing but otherwise the voice acting was superb.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Am I crazy or is the lip sync for the English not great either? I swear sometimes their mouths are just flapping like Muppets. The thing is it's not all the time..and that's what's twisting my brain.
Why I googled it, all results are about the bad Japan lip sync. Is it just my brain?

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
English mainly because this felt like that sort of AAA game, unlike something like Sekiro where the English voices really are an odd feeling mash up. That said, I'd like to later replay the start of the game in Japanese and Kurosawa filter.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese just for the feel of really being in that time period in that area of the world. Everyone speaking English takes me out of it a little bit.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Am I crazy or is the lip sync for the English not great either? I swear sometimes their mouths are just flapping like Muppets. The thing is it's not all the time..and that's what's twisting my brain.
Why I googled it, all results are about the bad Japan lip sync. Is it just my brain?
Nah, like many games the mouth animations are often pretty vague. I prefer the Japanese VO enough that after switching back and forth a few times, I've stuck with it. The lip-sync is a non-issue. I still hope we eventually get subtitles for NPC town-chatter though.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese. The performances are excellent and just feels more appropriate. The lip sync is certainly an issue but I personally wasn't very distracted by it YMMV though.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even find the lack of lipsync for Japanese VO distracting. What I find distracting is that sometimes the subtitles doesn't exactly match what the characters says.

Jin's JP VA is great specially on the climax moments.

I'm on my second playthrough and I still prefer JP voiceover.