• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote:

• I have honor

Votes: 288 41.1%
  • I have no honor

Votes: 412 58.9%

• Total voters

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I killed him but then I went and watched the other ending and immediately regretted my decision.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
I killed him because I assumed sparing him would mean he would have to go back to the shogun and probably be executed for failing

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I killed Shimura not for Jin's honor at all but purely because it was what Shimura wanted and felt it was appropriate to "honor" his wishes.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I spared him from disgrace and living as a failure who's legacy was gone because that's what felt thematically best.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Jin's arc is the realisation of how restricting and obtuse the bushido code is. He got the job done in a different but honorless way. Yes, it got him into trouble, lost approbation and his titles / namesake but he saved his people.

Accepting to take Shimura's life is him accepting to be bound by the code he spent the entire game breaking from, to kill a loved father figure that didn't deserved it.

Sparring Shimura's life is fully embracing Jin's walkaway from the bushido to create his own path, his own way, and granting his father mercy and giving him a second chance.
Oh, no worries, I understand that much!

What I said in my reply was that I think your take is very absolute and I question why one single action in a time of intense duress "destroys" everything the game has built up? Is a person and their growth defined by a single moment? Is a mistake, or an individual benevolent act something that completely redefines an individual? I don't really think so, personally.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
www.resetera.com

Ghost of Tsushima - Spoiler Thread Spoiler

Didn't see a spoiler thread for this, so... Feel free to discuss the game openly. Please do not scroll down beyond the OP and second post if you do not wish to be spoiled on the game.

www.resetera.com

My issue with the Ghost of Tsushima ending (open spoiler) Spoiler

So basically it's what I think of the choice ending. I'm just not really a fan of of these in general in games that aren't already structured for it. GoT is a set story with a set character arc. It would mean having to determine what ending to go with after the fact. Except I found out...

—duplicating my comments from the previous threads—

I disagree that sparing Shimura is the "better" ending. I can get that people will prefer it but I don't agree that it is better (given the circumstances or the scenes themselves):

All the things Jin did in the game were burdens he took on for other people's sake. He abandon's the code and "lowers himself" for the sake of helping/saving others. It just doesn't reconcile with me that in the final moments of the game he would 180 on that trait and choose to lower his uncle (which he know won't save him at all), for the sake of himself. I know a lot of people are dead set on spare though so I'll leave it as agree to disagree.

My exact feeling, but you articulated it super well.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a really absolutist take. I don't find it crazy that Jin could take a last moment to do what Shimura wanted as a final parting gift to him, and I really don't think it "destroys the entire story arc and character progression" to commit a solitary act like that. That act alone doesn't define how Jin will go on living in the future imo.

No, they're right. The whole game is about Jin realising that Bushido is a load of crap. All this talk of pride and honour cost many people their lives and would've cost many more if Jin hadn't abandoned Bushido and done what was necessary.

Besides, since when is killing someone a "parting gift"? Jin's uncle wanted to die because of a ridiculous belief in death before dishonour. You can't get a more petty reason than that for throwing your life away.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Jin's arc is the realisation of how restricting and obtuse the bushido code is. He got the job done in a different but honorless way. Yes, it got him into trouble, lost approbation and his titles / namesake but he saved his people.

Accepting to take Shimura's life is him accepting to be bound by the code he spent the entire game breaking from, to kill a loved father figure that didn't deserved it.

Sparring Shimura's life is fully embracing Jin's walkaway from the bushido to create his own path, his own way, and granting his father mercy and giving him a second chance.
I think you're ignoring the uncle factor in this. Shimura is a piece of shit, but he also raised Jin and cared for him as a father for this entire life. Jin loves him. Jin is also aware what sparing him will mean for his uncle. He will be dishonored and stripped of everything. He'd be a living husk without his honor. Jin's own honor shouldn't really factor in, killing him is sparing Shimura from a fate worst than death for him.

I view it as Jin understanding how fault the code and honor is, but understanding that some cannot be made to see those faults.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
The samurai was dead by the time you got that far in the game, so no honor was an easy choice.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I couldnt get myself to pick that option, not only would Shimura likely die either way, this death would have been far more shameful for him, you are doing good to no one by sparing him.
But who's fault is that? Not Jin's that's for sure. Shimura blindly followed the Samurai code. He got himself into that mess. It's not on Jin to reconcile his uncle's problems.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I spared him out of spite because he was an absolute knob who put his own narcissistic sense of honour over the lives of poor innocent people.

It was a spite spare.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I chose to kill him. Not for honour per se, but because of the personal bond the characters shared. This wasn't really about some high flown ideal, although it was to Shimura, but the fact that they both cared for each other, despite the shit that went on between them, and grounded emotions ultimately were more important. I did think Shimura was a knob in many ways, but he was essentially a father to Jin...

As for Jins path, surely he has the choice to apply it? That sounds more like freedom to me than being locked into one or other ideal without any room for maneuver. There are always exceptions to the rule...Shimura was it for my Jin.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Jin was no longer samurai. Honor meant nothing anymore, if he wanted to die he could do it himself.

Oct 25, 2017
Killed Shimura.

Felt way to cruel to leave him alive.

Honor might mean nothing to Jin at the end of the game, but it means everything to Shimura.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I chose the "I have no honor" ending and I really liked it. Jin lost everything to save the people, I kept expecting the easy way out and for everything to go back to normal but they chose to stick with Jin's exile and that type of sacrifice resonated with me. When Lord Shimura tells Jin that he has no honor but then later asks Jin to give him an honorable death I was like, "hell no, how can I give you an honorable death if I don't have any honor myself? If you want to die than do it yourself."

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
No, they're right. The whole game is about Jin realising that Bushido is a load of crap. All this talk of pride and honour cost many people their lives and would've cost many more if Jin hadn't abandoned Bushido and done what was necessary.

Besides, since when is killing someone a "parting gift"? Jin's uncle wanted to die because of a ridiculous belief in death before dishonour. You can't get a more petty reason than that for throwing your life away.
I don't disagree with the notion about their code being incredibly restrictive and frankly just all-around not great for the majority of those involved with it, just to be clear. I understand the messages of the game.

In the world of Ghost of Tsushima, the code and the lifestyle that Shimura knows is all he knows; it's the status quo. He's old fashioned, and he's frankly wrong in my opinion, but he lives in a world where that belief is the de facto truth. If he knows his life is over, he knows everything he's ever loved is gone and he lost the last duel with Jin, I think it's clear that killing him in this culturally understood method through which it occurred can easily be interpreted as a gift or a mercy. It's totally barbaric when viewed from a more modern lens, or indeed when trying to imagine it happening today, but his worldview was his entire life and his upbringing was obviously in an incredibly toxic environment that fostered it.

Touha

Oct 27, 2017
Jin was no longer samurai. Honor meant nothing anymore, if he wanted to die he could do it himself.

Well said. I would just qualify the idea that Jin had no honor anymore/honor meant nothing....more that Jin no longer attached any importance to the samurai traditional definition of honor. Jin has his own personal sense of honor and is now free to define his own code in my view.

Oct 25, 2017
I killed him because it felt like what Jin would have done. It's what his Uncle wanted and even if he betrayed Jin, he would have given him that much.

It took me a bit to come to a decision it was definitely one of the tougher of these type of game decisions I've had to make. Jin has been letting go of tradition throughout the story but he still knows what it means to his Uncle and then logically if I let him live he's not going to live a long and happy life you would be doing it to spite him which didn't feel like something Jin would do.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're both good but holy shit the ending where you kill him is so much sadder. I think I ended up liking that one better.

It is 100% because of how they use the music in the "Kill Shimura" scene.

The vocals begin when Jin starts wailing, where as the spare ending the music is a lot more subdued.

I also like the Kill ending better because I think the components making that scene hit so hard.

OP
OP
Genetrik

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Well said. I would just qualify the idea that Jin had no honor anymore/honor meant nothing....more that Jin no longer attached any importance to the samurai traditional definition of honor. Jin has his own personal sense of honor and is now free to define his own code in my view.
Well said. In addition I also feel that based on the dialog of his uncle still being able to start a new family, he would for sure be happy to be alive in hindsight once his new child is born.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I chose the 'Honor' option.

Honor is just another form of morality at the end of the day, so believing that the specific morality/honour of the Samurai is wrong doesn't mean one has to completely throw away any semblance of morality. In this case Jin letting Shimura live would just be killing him in a longer, more drawn-out, and more shameful way for practically no reason other than spite; it's not like Jin sparing him would suddenly change the culture that would lead to any semblance of a 'good' outcome for Shimura.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck honour. Your Uncle would have let his own people die and suffer because Ninjitsu wasn't honourable. Burn that shit to the ground. He can go kill himself if he wants to die, no need to burden Jin with that guilt for his life.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I forgot lol, thought I'd killed him for second and then remembered I didn't

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I chose the 'Honor' option.

Honor is just another form of morality at the end of the day, so believing that the specific morality/honour of the Samurai is wrong doesn't mean one has to completely throw away any semblance of morality. In this case Jin letting Shimura live would just be killing him in a longer, more drawn-out, and more shameful way for practically no reason other than spite; it's not like Jin sparing him would suddenly change the culture that would lead to any semblance of a 'good' outcome for Shimura.

I think the final question for Jin - the question which drives his actions the whole game - should ultimately be "what is best for Tsushima."

I think spare has a higher chance of that. At the very least if Shimura is forced to commit suicide then there will be an orderly transition of power instead of a sudden gap at the top in a moment when Tsushima needs leadership to rebuild. And that's if the Shogun demands such from him - if the Shogun lets Shimura live then spare is clearly better for Tsushima.

Of course in-game this isn't really a consideration and Jin's rationale sums up to "I won't kill someone I consider family." Which is also a good reason and makes sense to me, but I was a tad disappointed the choice wasn't talked about in terms of how it would affect Tsushima.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
No honor you let him live, right? I choose that, while I felt it could be like a final spit in the face on Shimura, it wasn't right and Jin was above all that in the end after all. Shimura has a smile in his face when Jin spared him so I felt pretty good with that decision.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Didn't kill him and have no idea what the ending even is if you do. He wasn't a bad person so I didn't want to kill the guy.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Fun fact:
When offered your ending choice you can actually pause the game and make a save file. When you load it'll be right back to the choice. I was able to very easily see both options, both of which feel great.

I would say one ending feels very "video gamey" while the other is quite gripping and cinematic. Not that I prefer one over the other, but they offer very different feelings.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
While I find the ending where you end him more emotionally resonant, I still prefer to walk away because I'm petty.

From my seat at least, Shimura's adherence to his damn code has been setting back the efforts against the Khan the entire game. And Jin made his decision to ignore that code pretty definitively by the end of Act 2.

I wish the walking away ending had a bit more of a feeling of that emotional goodbye that the killing ending does. It feels strangely abrupt in comparison.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Hands that shaped the world
A bond broken forever
I fight without hope

By that time Jin opposed everything the samurai stand for. He wouldn't give a rat's ass about honour. He loves his uncle very much, he wouldn't kill him in the name of something he doesn't believe in anymore.

Nov 1, 2017
My opinion of the game would be significantly worse if I'd chosen "I have no honor." The other ending hit me hard and fit the themes of the game so well.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I believe Shimura can become a better person. It was hinted near the end that he was becoming more and more conflicted.

Now growth can't happen if he's dead, duuh, so I spared him.

Honor? Pfff, that shit died on the beach.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I killed him because it's what he wanted. He was set in his ways and could never be changed so why not grant him his wish and give him peace.

duck-doomster

Feb 1, 2019
I killed him, felt like the right choice in the moment, even if it didn't necessarily jive with Jin's development up until then. I saw it as a last act/rite for his uncle, not really about having honor or not.

After watching the other ending online, I definitely preferred my choice, emotions hit much harder (with Japanese dub).

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I killed him because it's what he wanted.

Though since it's been confirmed that the other option is canon I'm really curious to see what SP will do with that.

Oct 27, 2017
I killed him. It wasn't about honor, it was about doing right by family. Kind of stunned to find out it's not the canon version, it's incredibly poignant and seems far more fitting for the character.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
He was a cunt so I didn't do what he wanted. I kept him alive. Couldn't care less about the honour of it. He was the one that didn't deserve honour.

mrphan09

Sep 30, 2020
I can't remember

I seriously can't, and I platinumed it...

I think I killed when he asked was that the honor choice?