• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote:

• I have honor

Votes: 288 41.1%
  • I have no honor

Votes: 412 58.9%

• Total voters

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
See the simple question above.

i myself have no honor and I was happy with the ending

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honour is for the weak. If you find shame in living, then life is the best punishment of them all.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I forgot what was what but I let him live, figured Jin would lean into the nonconformist ghost stuff at that point

AceAlli

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming I have 'no honor' for letting him live. I thought it was a very appropriate ending and I felt satisfied.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Where's the poll option for "I reloaded to see the other ending"?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I get that people are arguing that Jin has learned that theres no point in honor which is why the other option is the only one that makes sense, but I honestly didnt even think about that when given the option.
I was thinking about how much would uncle hate himself and suffer (for failling to kill Jin and being left alive, he might as well just die by the order of the mainland in a shameful manner, which would be even worse) in the option of sparing him. To me I chose to respect his desire for honor for himself, rather than the honor of Jin.
Which is why I also dont feel really complete selecting "I choose Honor" in the poll, but rather "I choose to respect his honor, as that is his wish".
Also that ending was far more emotional.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Killed him for reasons other have said. I didn't do it because honor dictated it, but because someone Jin cares deeply about would go through literally his worst nightmare if he spared him. Killing him becomes the correct course of action then.

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
I felt sparing him and sacrificing Jin's honor was the ending that resonated the most with the themes of the game. I think it's weird the player was given a choice at all.

ka13b

Dec 17, 2020
I killed my uncle because he DID deserve it - he WANTED to die as the only means of retaining and defending his honor. Because I had no honor, I respected his wishes.

May 19, 2020
not killing him seemed pointlessly vindictive and petty even if his actions were costly, flawed and dumb. jin did the "dishonorable" expedient things to defeat the mongols but i don't feel he'd do that to his uncle imo

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I have no honor. We'll see you in Ghost of Tsushima 2 when you'll enevitably be killed by the big bad.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I killed him because that's what he wanted. I was also tired of him acting like there's any honor in war.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
One thing I loved about this ending is that there was no clear right answer. Its heavily implied that Shimura would be asked to commit suicide in disgrace for his failure anyways, but neither choice is right or wrong. I chose to honor Shimura's request because I felt it fit better with the story. The whole story Jin is sacrificing the personal for others. At the end, it seemed more poetic to have Jin sacrifice a piece of himself to save his uncle's honor. He may not have been bound by the honor code of the Samurai anymore, but his uncle was.

Marco_Tovarich

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I think they're both good but holy shit the ending where you kill him is so much sadder. I think I ended up liking that one better.

Interestingly enough I also think it's the happy ending. It's the one where both Jin and Shimura finally see themselves as father and son.

I feel that sparing him would have been (for me) a selfish act to avoid feeling bad. Shimura won't have to live with shame, and Jin will have honored his uncle's honor.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I loved about this ending is that there was no clear right answer. Its heavily implied that Shimura would be asked to commit suicide in disgrace for his failure anyways, but neither choice is right or wrong. I chose to honor Shimura's request because I felt it fit better with the story. The whole story Jin is sacrificing the personal for others. At the end, it seemed more poetic to have Jin sacrifice a piece of himself to save his uncle's honor. He may not have been bound by the honor code of the Samurai anymore, but his uncle was.
The spare ending is officially the canon one though.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think killing your uncle betrays literally all of Jins character development.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it would have felt weird to have split from my Uncle specifically because i didn't subscribe to the whole "honor doctrine anymore" only to kill him because it'd be the "honorable" death for him.

Fuck that. Fuck honor. Stealth kills rule, killing your uncle sucks.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This is why I couldnt get myself to pick that option, not only would Shimura likely die either way, this death would have been far more shameful for him, you are doing good to no one by sparing him.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should make the poll more clear, I don't remember which is which lmao

I spared him, but was convinced through discussion that killing him is better as that's what the uncle wanted. People like to make the counterargument that this would be a continuation of Jin being a slave to the samurai code, but I disagree. The whole point IMO is that Jin has essentially learned to be a lot more flexible. He's not some outright villain that will do whatever he wants, or will fuck over his uncle's wishes out of spite. He now realizes that while he wishes to be an overall good and honorable person, sometimes you have to bend your code when necessary. Just because the samurai code is ass doesn't mean we do the other extreme of saying there's absolutely nothing Jin can take from it. Given the reality of what would've happened if Jin had spared him (uncle is disgraced and forced to commit suicide) I could see him accepting his uncle's final wish out of sympathy for him.

At any rate, I don't like that the game randomly makes you make this important ass choice. The whole game never has you do this multiple choice thing, so it just doesn't fit at all. Just stick to an ending and the story would've been stronger for it.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking about this ending last night. One of my favorite endings to a game in a while.

Anyway, No Honor ending is the canon ending IMO. How can it be any other way, based on the entire story of the game and Jin's arc? The way he delivers that line and walks away....just incredible stuff. Raises the hair on the back of your neck.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Killing him destroys the entire Jin's story arc and character progression.

So no killing.
I think this is a really absolutist take. I don't find it crazy that Jin could take a last moment to do what Shimura wanted as a final parting gift to him, and I really don't think it "destroys the entire story arc and character progression" to commit a solitary act like that. That act alone doesn't define how Jin will go on living in the future imo.

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Ghost of Tsushima - Spoiler Thread Spoiler

Didn't see a spoiler thread for this, so... Feel free to discuss the game openly. Please do not scroll down beyond the OP and second post if you do not wish to be spoiled on the game.

www.resetera.com

My issue with the Ghost of Tsushima ending (open spoiler) Spoiler

So basically it's what I think of the choice ending. I'm just not really a fan of of these in general in games that aren't already structured for it. GoT is a set story with a set character arc. It would mean having to determine what ending to go with after the fact. Except I found out...

—duplicating my comments from the previous threads—

I disagree that sparing Shimura is the "better" ending. I can get that people will prefer it but I don't agree that it is better (given the circumstances or the scenes themselves):

I chose to kill him. As I said in the OT:

I didn't really want to -- but he's bound by honour, so at least I'd let him have an honourable death. As far as the shogunate is concerned it would look like he fell in combat to an exile while trying to uphold his/their values. Otherwise they would probably see him as some kind of disgrace and made him commit seppuku anyways.

The running theme of the game is that Jin is willing to undergo increasing personal disgrace for the sake of protecting something for others, and so I figured remaining an "outlaw who killed his uncle" (in order to protect the public image of Shimura) was a logical extension of that. It's end scene played out very emotionally and was handled as well as I expected. I can completely see how others would want to say "fuck the whole system, I'm not killing you" though.

I think a lot of people made the decisions based on a a 21st morality, and not on the morality of a guy living in that era to fulfil a request of a mentor figure that the loved/respected. Jin is someone who was willing to suffer personal disgrace, but regardless of his disagreeing viewpoints with his uncle, I could never see him wanting to disgrace someone else.

Also I don't know if its just me but the spare ending is nowhere near as impactful as the end where you kill him. Its not just the obvious things like the music / performances etc, but also the fact that the two are basically able to reconcile with each other in that final moment despite their differences.

All the things Jin did in the game were burdens he took on for other people's sake. He abandon's the code and "lowers himself" for the sake of helping/saving others. It just doesn't reconcile with me that in the final moments of the game he would 180 on that trait and choose to lower his uncle (which he know won't save him at all), for the sake of himself. I know a lot of people are dead set on spare though so I'll leave it as agree to disagree.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I murdered grandpappy like the ahole family member that he was.

... Oh wait, no, I dishonored myself.

FFFFFFFFFFF-----------

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a really absolutist take. I don't find it crazy that Jin could take a last moment to do what Shimura wanted as a final parting gift to him, and I really don't think it "destroys the entire story arc and character progression" to commit a solitary act like that. That act alone doesn't define how Jin will go on living in the future imo.

Jin's arc is the realisation of how restricting and obtuse the bushido code is. He got the job done in a different but honorless way. Yes, it got him into trouble, lost approbation and his titles / namesake but he saved his people.

Accepting to take Shimura's life is him accepting to be bound by the code he spent the entire game breaking from, to kill a loved father figure that didn't deserved it.

Sparring Shimura's life is fully embracing Jin's walkaway from the bushido to create his own path, his own way, and granting his father mercy and giving him a second chance.

Touha

Oct 27, 2017
What is so brilliant about the ending is that both choices are equally valid/understandable/"right".

I chose to Spare, given it seemed the final culminating act/decision of Jin's personal journey/transformation, realizing that he was beyond now the code and definition of honor he had been raised in and now was free to live his own code/define his own way and meaning of honor. But again both choices make total sense. Apparently, the Spare ending is the canon ending according to an interview with Nate Fox of Sucker Punch.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
lmao shimura doesn't get a second chance if you spare him. he'd be forced to commit suicide and would have to live the rest of his life up to that point in disgrace