• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They probably changed it after finding out the original would have been a pain in the ass to actually play. Information needs to be conveyed to the player, no need to make everything super subtle

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It may look better, sure, but I somehow doubt it plays better without all of that info, which, to be frank, is pretty much subtle as is compared to other games.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, still seems similar, just with feedback cues embedded. Seems kind of nitpick imo.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
It's a Japanese Arkham game mixed with the newer Assassin's Creed games. Checks all the boxes..

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
I am happy they added health bars, shows me how much damage I have done to the enemy without having to guess

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
if its there, its because its needed to convey gameplay information to the player.

These thing are not thrown in there. They are heavily playtested and iterated back and forth

Yeah, this was my assumption. Play testing revealed that the lack of on-screen feedback was making the game frustrating for players, or whatever.

Gameplay "realism" is one of those things that sounds awesome in theory, but then you realize that realistic often means "not fun" from a gameplay perspective.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
So your complaints are just directed at the HUD elements? Those are all things that can likely be turned off. It's clear that the E3 demo was just the gameplay with almost the entire HUD turned off.

OP
OP
Domcorleone

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
So your complaints are just directed at the HUD elements? Those are all things that can likely be turned off. It's clear that the E3 demo was just the gameplay with almost the entire HUD turned off.

My concern really is- are these indicators necessary to be able to play the game or are they just accessibility add-ons. Did they develop the game with the indicators in mind or added them only after play testing. I think about it the same way with games with waypoints, if you remove them does the game still properly convey where youre supposed to go or does the game essentially break without them.

BoTW clearly was built without waypoints in mind, you can tell by how NPCs give you clues as where a town is or where to go. Similarly, I'm wondering if this game gives us enough clues as to what the enemy will be doing WITHOUT the indicators if that makes any sense.

An example of a game system that was built around its indicators would be Witcher 3 and the Witcher sense. Its impossible to be able to track something without it turned on, so even if i didnt want to use it I have to use it to track footprints. If they made it so you could see the footprints but added the witcher sense just in case gamers were unable to see the footprints (or didnt like that experience) that would be ideal.

Last edited:

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
As others have pointed out they are useful indicators to understand the game mechanics. I personally wouldn't turn them off for the first playthrough even if there is an option to do so.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bother me too much, just changes games go through.

Different changes, but we saw it with Horizon as well, where they showed the game very early at E3 2015, without stuff like damage numbers, and other things cluttering the U, but next time we saw the game, it was kind of jarring to see all the new things added..

Why closer to release is a better idea, especially for open world games that can go through a lot of changes in development.

I assume we'll get options to turn them off for the people who want that. Hopefully they give confirmation on that later on. If it bothers you, tweet at SP's twitter. Might not do anything, but let's them know it's information people want to know sooner than later, if it is an option.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sucker Punch will throw in options for those who would like to keep the UI and HUD elements as minimal as possible - but as a number have already stated, the inclusion of these elements were probably needed.

I was just playing Uncharted: the Lost Legacy the other day and they tried to integrate some similar design elements to the game. For the wide open section, they avoided using waypoints, and had you rely on the in game map, using landmarks, points of interest, and in game events to cue the user into specific locations and objectives. It's not for everybody, I got lost a few times when I was too stubborn to not look at the map - but it does add to the immersion.

For combat, I tried avoiding elements that could be cheesed like setting markets for enemies, but the AI was just too good that I had to use it eventually. Uncharted also has options to remove the "spotted" notification, that clues you in on whether the enemies see you or not - but it was a bit too difficult for my intention of casual playing.

On the other hand, I've played the Last of Us without listen mode, and all these features and thought that this was the definitive way to play the game. I think it lends to the tension, and the slower pace of the game better than Uncharted. So I think if GOT is balanced well, and designed well from that perspective, that it could work great too for people who want the more minimalist design.

OP
OP
Domcorleone

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sucker Punch will throw in options for those who would like to keep the UI and HUD elements as minimal as possible - but as a number have already stated, the inclusion of these elements were probably needed.

I was just playing Uncharted: the Lost Legacy the other day and they tried to integrate some similar design elements to the game. For the wide open section, they avoided using waypoints, and had you rely on the in game map, using landmarks, points of interest, and in game events to cue the user into specific locations and objectives. It's not for everybody, I got lost a few times when I was too stubborn to not look at the map - but it does add to the immersion.

For combat, I tried avoiding elements that could be cheesed like setting markets for enemies, but the AI was just too good that I had to use it eventually. Uncharted also has options to remove the "spotted" notification, that clues you in on whether the enemies see you or not - but it was a bit too difficult for my intention of casual playing.

On the other hand, I've played the Last of Us without listen mode, and all these features and thought that this was the definitive way to play the game. I think it lends to the tension, and the slower pace of the game better than Uncharted. So I think if GOT is balanced well, and designed well from that perspective, that it could work great too for people who want the more minimalist design.

The bolded works because if I remember correctly Neil said that they put alot of thought in the audio and they wanted sound to be a way for you to know where enemies were. He said the team added Listen mode after discussions when they realized it without it there would be an accessibility issue for those who are hard of hearing. But its clear the game was designed based on their original intent which was have sound determine enemy positions. Listen was added after for accessibility.

I just hope the game was designed with the e3 demo (no indicators) in mind rather than the other way around.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a Western company's combat . You shouldn't have that high expectation to begin with .

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
if its there, its because its needed to convey gameplay information to the player.

These thing are not thrown in there. They are heavily playtested and iterated back and forth
This.

SP went to great lengths to remove any hud in the game as much as possible but some things must be displayed for accessibility like the gathering icons or combat indicators, this is a game after all.

Maybe they'll add an option to remove it.