• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which version looks better 2018 vs 2020

• 2018 is better looking

Votes: 823 74.2%
  • 2020 is better looking

Votes: 111 10.0%
  • The look pretty much the same

Votes: 175 15.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
It's always interesting to see how how games evolve over time and IGN posted a good comparison between the E3 gameplay debut and the retail game running update 1.04.

There are clearly a lot of differences and changes to the lighting and environment. And although I don't want go too far into the downgrade rabbit hole, I do think the game looked better in 2018 compared to now. Your thoughts?

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. This is why I wish games weren't announced until <1 year before their actual release. Vertical slice gameplay is never beneficial.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's not even a contest. 2018 looks much better.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Final game is still drop dead gorgeous but, yeah, that E3 demo looks like a next gen version.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
Beautiful game either way, but 2018's looked and had a better atmosphere, I'm guessing a lot of changes to lighting and such were done for performance reasons but it's still a really good looking game considering it's on what 7 year old hardware, that was already dated at the start of the console generation. They did a fantastic job.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They could have at least tried to capture it at a similar daytime. Especially in the first minute the surroundings of course look nicer if they are bathed in golden evening sunlight instead of being completely in the shadow.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
For those who've played it, how does RDR2 compare to the E3 2018 demo of GOT? Haven't played RDR2, curious if any open world games have come close this gen -- I'm assuming RDR would be the only one.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was clear there was a noticeable difference the moment they did their big State of Play gameplay reveal. All the comments about how the 2018 footage looked next-gen evaporated.

I don't think the difference is that large, but there's definitely something about the quality of the lighting and general ambiance that is just not there anymore.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Kinda hard to compare when both are in completely different times of day, but even if they matched it 1:1 the E3 version looking better would be extremely not shocking.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have some major problems with these comparisons. Game looks very close to 2018 other than some model and draw distance changes depending on time of day/weather.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
The lighting and fog effects and rain-in-the-distance definitely don't look as dramatic or nice now, though the stuff after that first scene looks just as good in the retail game.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
While 2018 looks better, the macroblocking artifacts in 1080p video, which should have been 4K to mitigate compression, really exacerbates the issues.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm at complete odds with most of you, it looks pretty much the same except the time of day and weather difference.

That part indoors looks even better.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
For those who've played it, how does RDR2 compare to the E3 2018 demo of GOT? Haven't played RDR2, curious if any open world games have come close this gen -- I'm assuming RDR would be the only one.

RDR2 definitely looks way better then even the GOT E3 trailers. My initial thoughts for the first glimpse of this game was that it was super blurry.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't notice it from the videos but in direct comparison it's pretty noticable, draw distance in particular

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty clear that they had to make some major compromises to get the game running as smoothly as it does on base hardware. Same with TLOU2. Both still look amazing though and i'm looking forward to seeing the improvements on PS5.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah definitely doesnt look nearly as good. A lot of small granular details and textures seemed to have been lost in translation, lighting is a lot flatter too. I wish publishers would stop showing versions of their games that obviously cant run optimally on the hardware they are aiming at.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
In some of the free roaming stuff in the early parts of the video, it looked like an entirely different part of the game. 2020 still looks great, just seems less punchy and more flat.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I saw comments before I watch the video, expected some Ubisoft shit. Am I blind? This is really not how people say it is.