• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Have people really become so entitled that want everything free now? The price you are paying covers the new content as well ffs.
It's almost like one of the other platform holders has set a very consumer-friendly standard of performance upgrades being a free upgrade on past games, rather than something to be tied to paid DLC - in line with the existing PC ecosystem.

If nothing else, let me just get the performance & DualSense upgrade for $10, without the full DLC island. The last thing a bloated open world game like GoT needs is another landmass.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Generally a year after a games release you can get a game bundled with the paid dlc for less then the original price. Like a GOTY edition.

The pricing feels high to me because they jacked it even higher then it was originally. $60 -> $70.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Just to remind people that indie developer managed to add full voice acting in their game for free among other features. That game was Disco Elysium. What Sony charges for is honestly shameful. But they can do it because as we see in this thread people are absolutely fine with that.

Thanks for reminding us, but it's not even close to the same thing.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

Det

Jul 30, 2020
How about just one price, rather than "pay us for the DLC, and then pay us again for the PS5 update"? Why charge for the update at all if it's basically meant to be packaged with the DLC?

I feel like the $10 PS5 upgrade is mainly a consistency issue with their PS4 & PS5 pricing model. Since the PS4 Director's Cut is $60 & the PS5 Director's cut is $70, everyone would just buy the PS4 version for cheaper, thus the "need" for the fee. Not agreeing one way or another, but they have caught themselves in this pricing ruckus during the cross-gen release period. Once it's PS5 only games, by definition there will be no upgrades and DLC will be the standard $20 moving forward. But yeah, a bit shitty for now.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Then make it an optional download?
It's just a really weird thing to arbitrarily make exclusive to PS5.
Probably not impossible, well assuming there's not some technical reason with the game managing them or adding new lipsynched pre-rendered cutscenes just being a lot of hassle, on top of massive game size. I know some do that for dubs instead of having all the languages installed.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering about my "weird" situation - I owned the physical version and platinum'd it (humble brag), then sold it back.

Can I upgrade without the disc to the digital PS5 version or will that require the disc like other upgrades?

Hmm…
edit - nevermind, this may be different than how the Spider-Man remasteted worked.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
People complaining about $30 for expansion and PS5 upgrades are quick to forget that they already gave us the whole Legends multiplayer mode upgrade for free
Somehow, I feel like this thought will not placate anyone at all XD.

The wording is a big vague. Could be that the lipsync animation was baked in on the PS4 version.
The game already had Japanese voices, just not Japanese specific lip syncing. That'll be on the PS5 version only.

Omg please read. It's not the same thing. It was a technical limitation that prevented them from featuring Japanese lip syncing on PS4.
I am curious. What IS the technical limitation here? I've never heard of one specific aspect of animation being immutable on one platform. I can understand if the animation engine just isn't robust enough to handle it. But if they've done the work for PS5, then would it not be reasonable to expect that to be backported to PS4?

I'm sure it's possible, but it's a very counter intuitive thought for me. Are we sure it's a real TECHNICAL limitation and not a production decision to save Sony work?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
For people that don't want to pay the $10 upgrade fee (understandable), just buy the $20 expansion. The game appears to not have any graphical upgrades on PS5, so you'll still be getting 60fps at 1800p (checkerboarded), and it will likely look the same as the PS5 version. Just missing out on haptics and adaptive triggers, as well as Japanese lip sync (which doesn't matter at all to me).

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
User Warned: Trolling
I legit have no idea how some of you have such a hard time reading and understanding 3 simple lines of text.

Most of this forum is from a country with a very poor educational system so, even though they're reading text in their native language, their comprehension skills aren't really good.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Not feeling a next gen upgrade but that's completely seperate to how excited I am for a native PS5 version plus a new island. I guess they're going to show the story trailer/ release trailer at the next show

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just an expansion with an island where you do random shit and quests or does it involve a proper new story as well?

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
So the extra $10 gets you Japanese lip sync, Dualsense support, faster loading, and resolution bump to 4K from the 1440p or so that it currently sits at.

Not bad. Although I feel like people will compare the PS5 upgrades to the free upgrades in other recent games (FF7R).

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Theorry this is missing from the OP. If you preorder the upgrade it is $19.99, if you own Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 already.
"You can pre-order an upgrade to Director's Cut on PS4 for $19.99 USD. This upgrade will become available starting on August 20."
edit: read it wrong nvm

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
A $10 upgrade fee is bullshit, not gonna lie. I don't mind spending $20 bucks on a hopefully good DLC, but fucking $10 upgrade fee is stupid.

Especially if it's just the same game with prettier graphics and a higher frame rate

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Like what? Adding haptics and adaptive triggers, lypsync and dynamic resolution should be free for all PS4 owners who play it on PS5. Charging for that is greed. Hell even hiding 10$ upgrade behind mandatory 20$ DLC is sh*tty.

You're genuinely upset about this.

Just vote with your wallet. Don't buy it. Problem solved.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Like adding Legends and already unlocking the framerate to 60fps on PS5. People have short memories in here it seems.

Lol do you even follow gaming industry? You know that 4A games rewrote entire engine to support RayTracing in Metro Exodus and gave it for free to previous owners? Do you know how much dialog is in Disco Elysium and they recorded voice over for all of them and gave it for free. Hell 2K gave people Bioshock Remastered and Mafia 2 Remastered for free to previous owners. And you come here and tell us how unlocking 60FPS, adding 2 features that are big selling point for PS5 and lypsync is enough for 10$ charge. And regarding new mode they are not first or last company thad did it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
wtf... I bought this game only to get the playstation costumes back on December and was waiting to get a PS5 to play it... I was going to start it these days and now I see this, what a waste of money :/

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Need some assistance.

I platinum'ed Ghost Of Tsushima but my PS4 crashed after that and I lost my save. So my question is does the director's cut have a separate trophy list than the original? I have the original game but I want the PS5 upgrades, what is the best course of action for me.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
the new Iki Island content will be available beginning in Act 2 of Ghost of Tsushima, after you've made your way to the Toyotama region.
FlatPhonyDodobird-size_restricted.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I am curious. What IS the technical limitation here? I've never heard of one specific aspect of animation being immutable on one platform. I can understand if the animation engine just isn't robust enough to handle it. But if they've done the work for PS5, then would it not be reasonable to expect that to be backported to PS4?

I'm sure it's possible, but it's a very counter intuitive thought for me. Are we sure it's a real TECHNICAL limitation and not a production decision to save Sony work

Both. They can't render some cutscenes on PS4 in real time. So they'd have to re-render those scenes for the PS4 version and include those in the install/download size and the game may not already have a built in mechanism for determining which version of the cutscenes to deliver to the player depending on the language selection.

It's just easier and way less work to make it a PS5 version only thing, since they're just rendering everything in real time.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure it's possible, but it's a very counter intuitive thought for me. Are we sure it's a real TECHNICAL limitation and not a production decision to save Sony work?

The technical limitation I believe is the PS4 cinematics are prerendered while the PS5 are done in real time. Thus if you tried to do Japanese lipsync on the PS4, the cinematics wouldn't have them so you'd see a difference depending if what you're watching is real time or prerendered so it would be inconsistent.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
A $10 upgrade fee is bullshit, not gonna lie. I don't mind spending $20 bucks on a hopefully good DLC, but fucking $10 upgrade fee is stupid.

Especially if it's just the same game with prettier graphics and a higher frame rate

New controller perks, 3D audio enhancements, Japanese lip sync, and yeah, better visuals, higher FPS, higher resolution, and faster load times (somehow).

Value is subjective, but I think it's worth $10.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
They're doing it right, give the PS4 version a 60fps patch for PS5 (they did) then, charge some for the upgrades - that do take work. Importantly giving everyone an upgrade path if you already own the original. The game still runs fine without the full ps5 upgrade they're not gatekeeping/ charging for 60fps.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Man this thread is the pits. I'm pumped about the new island content. If you just want the island, pay the 20 bucks and you still get the game at 60fps. Multiplayer content was free DLC. If ten bucks is too much for a resolution bump/haptics/Japanese lyp sync, then vote with your wallet. Don't upgrade. Problem solved.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
just wait for ''it's just 10 bucks guys'' takes.

Miles Morales and other native PS5 games have faster loadings. I think they can make them as fast as these games.
GoT had already lighting fast fast travel on PS4. I guess the initial load time will now be as fast, but the wording is just too funny if you've played the original game.