• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
$10 extra for the PS5 upgrade is kind of ridiculous.

Square handled this better with FF7

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Maybe this is the right time for me to jump at this game.

From what I've seen it looks incredible.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I'll probably get the DLC and just play it through BC on PS5. In Canada that will be an extra $15 or $20 just for the PS5 features, no thanks.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting for a good sale to get this game... now I guess I'll keep waiting until I get a PS5... maybe by then this version will be on sale lol.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I wan't to upgrade to the PS5 version but I don't have a PS5 :(

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
$20 gets you the new island and story content, along with some additional QOL stuff and Japanese voice dubbing
$30 gets you all of that for PS5 with some PS5 features (namely Dual Sense haptics and better performance)

The game already had Japanese voices, just not Japanese specific lip syncing. That'll be on the PS5 version only.

Just to remind people that indie developer managed to add full voice acting in their game for free among other features. That game was Disco Elysium. What Sony charges for is honestly shameful. But they can do it because as we see in this thread people are absolutely fine with that.

Omg please read. It's not the same thing. It was a technical limitation that prevented them from featuring Japanese lip syncing on PS4.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Just to remind people that indie developer managed to add full voice acting in their game for free among other features. That game was Disco Elysium. What Sony charges for is honestly shameful. But they can do it because as we see in this thread people are absolutely fine with that.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
"framerate targeting 60 fps"

Can we have locked 60 fps at 1080p please? Not everyone wants to play 4K

Hopefully it will be an option
I can't believe this is still a thing.

All devs always say targeting, specially Sony after they got sued in 2014 because someone didn't understand how temporal injection (or something similar) worked in Killzone Shadowfall resolution.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017

"Targeting" is just marketing speak Sony has been using lately to cover their asses for like the 1% of instances where the frame rate dips. Expect it to be generally locked. If it's not, this would be the exception to the established pattern.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Not keen on paying the CAD equivalent of $30 for a PS5 upgrade of a game I bought day one a year ago, but... fuck it, I'm 80% sure I'm buying this upgrade. Looking forward to replaying it.
edit: oh right, there's an expansion. I guess that's not so bad.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
$69.99 for new owners and $30 to upgrade?

That's a gigantic yikes from me. Hopefully the expansion content is meaty.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
That new island looks the same as base game. Still haven't finished the game and this trailer completely fails to hype me.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It's not priced like those either. This is a $20 expansion, not a standalone game. The PS5 upgrade is an additional $10. Not really directly comparable to those two games.
I'm aware of the pricing. Earlier rumors compared this to those other expansions. I would gladly pay more if the scope here was comparable to those other games. It's not, and we don't know anything else. As I said, I'll wait and see. There's nothing wrong with the price if the new content justifies it.

Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait to dive back into one of the most beautiful worlds I've ever seen in gaming <3

Of course I assume I can upgrade from my PS4 Physical disc version to PS5 DC digital version by installing the disc in PS5 and paying the extra 29$ to download , right?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So I guess the best option for those who bought the game physically and sold it is to buy the PS4 DC so you can register your save and do the new stuff and then sell it again after you're done?

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
pricing seems really off for this. 10$ for a ps5 upgrade is just...well, its a choice. for a game that already runs 4k (ish) with rock solid 60 fps on ps5 right now.

the dlc for 20$ is ok, if its the same lenght as first light.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
So basically the only accetable price is free, like the Legends dlc, nobody complained when stuff were free.
Have people really become so entitled that want everything free now? The price you are paying covers the new content as well ffs.
Less than a year ago cross gen releases from Sony like Sackboy were the same price for the ps4 and ps5 version and upgrading between the two was free. This new version of ghosts is $10 more on PS5.

The only way to access the ps5 native features is via a $30 charge.

Square Enix just provided the ps5 native version of ff7r free of cost separately from the new content like two weeks ago.

As did EA with Jedi Fallen Order

As did Bethesda with Doom Eternal

As did Sony with Miles Morales

As did Sony with Sackboy

Why can't Sony do the same or what's changed in 8 months?

I can see why this is rubbing people the wrong way.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, considering how this game was a huge success it just reeks of being greedy

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Paywalling lip sync is utter bullshit.

Costing more to upgrade to PS5 than 4 is also oof. Legit just considering getting the PS4 upgrade and playing it on my PS5, then I won't get a second trophy list too… Graphics will be negligible, the PS4 update already looks better than most games on PS5 and there are already no loading times. Adaptive triggers will only be used for arrows and the grappling hook, eh. And I guess haptics are neat though.

Should've been standalone, this is all a fucking pain in the ass. The fact that it's not tells me they couldn't even make it 8-10 hours long like Miles/Lost Legacy to warrant that.

Expecting them to pull the same with TLOU2 and Factions now…

Last edited:

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I'm wondering about my "weird" situation - I owned the physical version and platinum'd it (humble brag), then sold it back.

Can I upgrade without the disc to the digital PS5 version or will that require the disc like other upgrades?

Hmm…
You sold your physical license. Either you get another physical version and pay $30 or buy it at full price digitally.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

Sony is alergic to hard claims ever since some asshole sued them for Killzone Shadowfall MP not being 4K [it used temporal reconstruction that even fooled Digital Foundry, one of the first examples of that tech on consoles].

They always use generic "up to/target" claims to be safe.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have people really become so entitled that want everything free now? The price you are paying covers the new content as well ffs.

The dlc is $20 which is fine.
The upgrade to a PS5 version costs money when other publishers and platform holders do it for FREE.

It's not like playstation is some small struggling entity that cannot afford it.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Was near the top 5 of my favorite games of last year, it's going to look especially stunning on PS5. August 20th is right about when releases look to heat up though, so I might wait.

Definitely recommend it to PS4 owners who haven't played it.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Theres a few smart delivery jokes that could be made here but I will abstain ;) played through the disc version on PS4 and now have the Digital PS5 so either way,no free upgrade or whatever...waiting on lenght/content impression before buying the expansion.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
$30 upgrade fee. I mean it does come with the Iki expansion, but shit I would have bit if it was $20 instead. I know I know, I could just get the PS4 version for $20, but why would I do that.