• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I dunno, the faces look bad and I've been more impressed by some older Ps4 games. Game looks nice for sure, but nothing special so far.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
This makes no sense, remasters were generally done because a port was required to get the game running on the new hardware. Devs can just patch in 4K and call it a day, no port required. We aren't paying for PS5 upgrades

Also, they just can't afford to do this when Microsoft is marketing BC with the new Xbox. Let's see, do I want to buy an expensive new console that lets me play games from well over a decade ago, or one that charges $60 for ports of games that came out last year? Not something you want consumers weighing when making a purchasing decision.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I understand what OP is saying, disagree with it but understand it.

It's like when people said how God of War 2 could pass for a PS3 title if Sony just increased it's resolution etc.

Ghosts of Tsushima can be a very competitive PS5 (launch) title at 4K/60.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hellblade has shown that next gen environments will look photorealistic. As good as ghost's environments look and they look damn near cg at times, they still dont look photorealistic.

200.gif

Compared to this:

RpwCXgX.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Because it is a current gen game. What else is it supposed to be? The game is also fully open world. This isn't a PS5 game. Compare Ghost of Tsushima to other open world action games this gen instead of comparing it to next gen games, which by the way, you've seen zero next gen gameplay so far lol..

I understand that this is a PS4 game, but honestly, why should I compare it only to current-gen games? Because of some artificial concept of fairness? I'm not a game reviewer, I'm a consumer that will get both next-gen consoles at launch, and I'm interested in getting the best graphics.

Next year, there will be countless next-gen games, all competing for our attention/money. And Sony knew that next-gen is coming in 2020. In fact, there is a strong possibility that PS5 will launch only 3 months after game release. I will still get the game, but if this isn't PS5 enhanced, I will be disappointed. Especially because it should be easier than during the PS3/PS4 transition. Same with TLoU II, tbh.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't even know what PS5 games look like though,

Even that Godfall game is apparently not indicative of what PS5 can achieve.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hellblade has shown that next gen environments will look photorealistic. As good as ghost's environments look and they look damn near cg at times, they still dont look photorealistic.

200.gif

Compared to this:

RpwCXgX.gif
That Hellblade 2 gif isn't gameplay, it's a cinematic. You're comparing current gen gameplay to next gen cinematics. Makes no sense.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree. Some aspects look damn good for sure. The trees in the beginning for instance and some of the lighting.

But that 100% looks like a very good looking PS4 game.

Sony first party is the fucking BEST IN CLASS when it comes to visuals for their games.

When we see SSM next game or Naughty Dog or Guerilla, THEN we'll see next gen game visuals. Ghost will look like a joke in comparison.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That Hellblade trailer was something else and kind of spoiled all the reveals from the rest of the night for me TBH.
That was an in game cinematic, I bet that during gameplay if you're able to turn the camera around and zoom in on her face it won't look as good (happens with all games). Willing to eat crow though!

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I agree.

And no guys. Sony is NOT going to do free patches that update PS4 games into PS5 versions.

Sony believes in generations, and they will keep PS4 and PS5 games entirely separate. Sony won't change how they do remasters.

PS5 is not a mid-gen upgrade like PS4 Pro, and won't be treated as such.

Sony offered upgrading your PS3 games to PS4 for a $10 purchase.

I can see them offering that again next generation, and I can even see them offering to do it for free since that's what Microsoft'll do.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Hellblade 2 gif isn't gameplay, it's a cinematic. You're comparing current gen gameplay to next gen cinematics. Makes no sense.
Fine. Lets use ghost of tshushima cinematics to prove that asset quality and lighting largely remains the same in current gen cutscenes. as they will in next gen cutscenes. yes, games look better in cutscenes but if you actually read my post i am talking about how the big upgrade is going to be photorealistic environments compared to what we have today which even in cutscenes doesnt look photorealistic.

g9HA3nk.gif

giphy.gif

I have gone through this with Halo Infinite fans at E3, but your mind is going to be blown when you see when Sucker Punch shows you what they can do with the PS5 in Ghost of Tshushima 2. Thats just a fact.

Oct 31, 2017
It's apparently 'in-engine' though.

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. IIRC a Capcom dev said on twitter that the CGI reveal trailer for that RE3 spin-off multiplayer game was "all in-game :)" and then once gameplay was revealed it was obvious that that was BS.

Not saying that it's the case here for sure, but I'm quite positive that there's a lot of smoke and mirrors.

I'll be impressed when a game looks like that, is longer than 10 hours, and has good gameplay.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
People still falling for that in engine bullshit. If it ain't gameplay, it ain't what you'll have on your screen.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It is remarkable what developers can do at the end stage of a console generation.

But it looks exactly like what you'd expect a late-gen PS4 game to look like.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
It looks really lovely for sure, but there are other games this gen that outclass it visually and next gen is absolutely going to be a real generational leap that'll put its visuals to shame on a purely technical level (not necessarily an artistic level).

Deleted member 61179

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
What Sony WWS has delivered in terms of audio and visual design is nothing short of amazing.
It has become a signature. Everthing in GoT screams high quality. Incredible what the ps4 is still able to produce.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
The hyperboling and downplaying atm is really terrible. Feels worse than the last time a new gen was around the corner.

Last edited: