• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I tried the Trial on the XBox,you can only play one hour but I am stuck at the drawbridge...either I am blind or is that all for the trial...? I go down a ladder but there is nothing there...?,pretty cool little game.

OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
I progressed a lot today.

I hope the game sells well so we can have sequels/spin-offs (controlling other animals like ferrets or badgers). The lore/world of the game is awesome. Seriously, i'm gonna be upset if everything just ends here with this game.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the Trial on the XBox,you can only play one hour but I am stuck at the drawbridge...either I am blind or is that all for the trial...? I go down a ladder but there is nothing there...?,pretty cool little game.
Throw a stick at the lever that lowers the drawbridge. There's a note that says that it is very sensitive. Climbing down the ladder will reward you with some florins.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
PC only for now for the final release, PS4 and Xbox One versions some time this year (presumably later in the year).

However, I think there may be an early unfinished version for the Xbox One, not sure though.
Yeah, you can buy the game on XB1 for $20 as a "Game Preview" with the a disclaimer in the description that says: "This game is a work in progress. It may or may not change over time or release as a final product. Purchase only if you are comfortable with the current state of the unfinished game."

OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
New patch available: 6.34. This guy is really working hard. Loving the quickly support so far:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/2982945658354456140

Hi everyone! Here's a bunch of fixes for some of the most common bugs we've seen since yesterday:

Fixed:
  • After reloading a save, Tilo doesn't always wear the proper costume items.
  • In some cases the chest from Duinlan doesn't break when Ravik lands.
  • Cases where picking up the chest bundle (after Ravik landed) and bringing it back to Silas does not further the quest.
  • Cases where you need to wait for Silas to wake up in his cot but the task doesn't complete.
  • The catacombs map does not show where Tilo actually is.
  • The wrong map is shown when getting back to the courtyard via the elevator.
  • The wrong map is shown when getting into the harbour via the catacombs.
  • The inventory icon for the ring you get from the gambler is missing.
  • The Italian dialog of the mice on the boat is actually in French.
  • It is possible to jump on the heads of guards sitting in the commissary.
  • It is possible to talk to the guards in the commissary without wearing an armor.
Changed:
  • Removed the chapel fresco quest for now from the total tally of quests (until it's fixed).

Please note: If you already have the chest bundle or the silver ring from the gambler in your inventory and the corresponding tasks did not get validated (you can't give them to Silas), feel free to send us your save file (clearly saying which case it is) and we'll fix it for you.

Your save files are located in: .../My Documents/My Games/Ghost of a Tale
The support address is: [email protected]

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was feeling pretty annoyed at the game earlyish with how many guards are around in such small quarters but as I've scrambled about for some gear that worry has been alleviated somewhat. Get your stealth stats up and exploring a lot more fun when they aren't constantly seeing and hearing you from far away.

Couple Thief pieces I just stumbled upon making it much easier to bear.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
New patch available: 6.34. This guy is really working hard. Loving the quickly support so far:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/2982945658354456140

This guy is excellent. There are some who will of course say that the game shouldn't have been released with bugs, yet EVERY game has a number of bugs (some more, some less). This developer also produced most of Ghost of a Tale on his own and is working extremely hard to fix the bugs. This reminds me of Stardew Valley and its sole developer - he worked extremely hard to fix many of the bugs that cropped up during the initial PC release in early 2016, he even repaired people's corrupted save game files where necessary. Such attention to customer satisfaction should be applauded.

Oct 31, 2017
It's important to stress that the developer here is a former Dreamworks animator who's just attempting game development for the first time.
The mere fact he actually managed to complete and release his project on an incredibly tight budget is an achievement in its own. The game looking stunning on top of that is added bonus.

I'm honestly a bit bummed about the overabundance of comments of people "on the fence", taking a "wait and see" stance all over the internet.
Can hardly imagine an indie dev more deserving of some support on mere good will, even if admittedly the game is not flawless.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
It's important to stress that the developer here is a former Dreamworks animator who's just attempting game development for the first time.
The mere fact he actually managed to complete and release his project on an incredibly tight budget is an achievement in its own. The game looking stunning on top of that is added bonus.

I'm honestly a bit bummed about the overabundance of comments of people "on the fence", taking a "wait and see" stance all over the internet.
Can hardly imagine an indie dev more deserving of some support on mere good will, even if admittedly the game is not flawless.

Very well said. You make some excellent points.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This looks amazing, and it's so much cheaper than I expected at $20 something. Tip: the Humble Bundle version provides both a Steam key and DRM free version.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like I backed this forever ago! The developer has been so good with keeping backers updated and it's been cool to follow the progress over the years. I'm really glad that it's out and I'll hopefully get around to it in a few weeks. Noticed plenty of patches downloading since release so hopefully most of the kinks will be ironed out by then.

Nov 6, 2017

I have no issue supporting the game but I do have a tendency to move on if I dont like it because of the bugs. For example Seven THe Days Long Gone, I played it at launch for 8ish hours or so and I might've even finished it if it wasnt for the bugs so I waited quite a lot and after most of my complaints were fixed, I just couldnt get into it anymore and I dont want Ghost of a Tale to suffer the same fate. From what I read on the forums theres still quite a lot of bugs and the sound design/mixing and soundtracks are an issue atm so until all these get fixed, I'd rather wait a month more rather than play it now, possibly get annoyed, and never touch it again, bcuz I'm fucking weird and by the looks of it the guy who "reviewed" it on RPS felt the same thing about it.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

To lift your spirits up a little, I bought it the very day it was made available on Xbox Game Preview. I already spent a few wonderful hours with it, and now I'm patiently waiting for the full game to release. The game has a 4.3/5 score on Xbox even in its unfinished state, which is good to see.

Oct 26, 2017
This game has been on my radar for years. I can't believe how beautiful it turned out. I can't wait to have some time to play through it!

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Oh it's an easy eight, even with the bugs (which are quickly being squashed by the developer). I think I'd give it a nine in fact.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hit the two hour mark and I'm going to refund and wait for a sale.

Game's still kind of buggy and honestly, it's not very fun in its opening hours since everything is locked and there are guards everywhere.

did you get out of the jail? the courtyard opens up a lot, esp when you get to the top of the watchtower and talk to the dude there. but yeah guards, there the bad guys I guess. AI is so-so, so it's not a fulllll on stealth game which I'm glad

OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
New review from 3DJuegos (again, in spanish): 8.5

https://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/analisis/20133/0/ghost-of-a-tale/

Also, new patch released, 6.35: http://steamcommunity.com/games/417290/announcements/detail/3507615017010643513

Here's a new patch release which brings the version to 6.35!

Fixed:
  • Rebinding controls only works in English.
  • The resolution dropdown menu becomes unresponsive after being used once (gets under the UI).
  • Obelisks around the far tower are not interactive anymore after interacting with them, saving and then reloading that save.
  • Calling the map from the inventory and pressing LT or RT messes up the interface.
  • Ravik's marker appears on the catacombs map even after she's gone.
  • The dying light tool is not recognized as a bona fide light source.
  • The Freeze Time option in photo mode is not selectable via the gamepad.
  • Case where the apiary quest doesn't show up as completed in the quests log.
  • The wrong map is shown when leaving the harbour cave and going to the northern slopes.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
did you get out of the jail? the courtyard opens up a lot, esp when you get to the top of the watchtower and talk to the dude there. but yeah guards, there the bad guys I guess. AI is so-so, so it's not a fulllll on stealth game which I'm glad
I did. Even got into the forest area and got completely lost and overwhelmed.

It's a good game, one I'll definitely return to one day but I guess I wasn't in the mood for its brand of stealth gameplay right now.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Shucks. Def feel like the game oozes some basic high level production values so you want a 8 but some of the repetition cuts it down a tad

OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to finish the game very soon, I have to find the chest on the Coast.

Man... THAT conversation with Silas...

FUCK ME. This game, this motherfucking game... I'm gonna be real mad if it doesn't perform well enough for a sequel/spin-off in the game universe.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Man, I remember seeing this game as a Unity spotlight a looking time ago.

I think I'll wait to play on console but I'm glad this is getting positive reception! Hope it does okay sales-wise too.

OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
New patch available, 6.36: http://steamcommunity.com/games/417290/announcements/detail/3507615017014578079

Patch fix 6.36 is here!

Fixed:
  • Tilo's animation freezes after picking up a candle.
  • Black bars remain visible when pausing and un-pausing the game while looking at a map from the inventory UI.
  • The commander's medicine icon is a place-holder and appears in the Cloth category instead of Misc.
  • When no compatible saves are found (ie. early access saves only), clicking on Continue attempts to load an incompatible save.
  • Skipping (or finishing) the end sequence does not bring back the main menu.
  • It's not possible to quit the game properly after the end sequence finishes.
  • Sometimes the camera in the end sequence is not put at the right place.
  • Accessing the options menu during the end sequence prematurely terminates the sequence.
  • Getting detected by a spider counts as being detected by a guard.

Also, the fix for the Apiary quest is now retroactive (you just need to reload your current save).

By the way, I finished the game. It's awesome, one of my favourites this year!

hrneey.png

(Stats are a bit bugged but I have it all completed. Time is correct AFAIK).

I hope there is a sequel. I need it after that ending.

The plot twists are brilliant: Silas, Rolo...

Kudos to Jerome Jacinto, I loved its art in Armello and Tooth and Tail, I love it in this game

rzukeo.png

vggbkf.png

dtvfen.png

hwbqhg.png

This one hurts T__T

Last edited:
OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
disgraciau

Out of curiosity, did you run into anything missable or any points of no return?

There are a couple of missable secondary quests: Fatale's ones because are only available during night. Apart from that.... you can do almost every single quest without missing it.

The only Point of no Return that the game has is at the very ending part of the game. In fact, it warns you with a message that you won't be able to come back once you go in.

OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for putting the OT together, and reminding me about this game.

Any news if there will be a X1/Pro enhanced version?

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know the price may reflect the answer but is there much replayability once the game is "completed"?

Oct 25, 2017
While I really enjoy most of the game, the constant running around to do errands and find different things for different people in areas you've already been to dozens of times is starting to wear on me.
How far in am I when
I just gave the second (or third) silver ring to Silas and he told me he knows where Merra is?
Curious how much more there is cause it feels like the game is going to end every moment now.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While I really enjoy most of the game, the constant running around to do errands and find different things for different people in areas you've already been to dozens of times is starting to wear on me.

It believe it's more acceptable if you think of Ghost of a tale as an adventure/point-n-click game...

I'm six hours in and I still get lost in both courtyards. I didn't expect to say that one day but I wish the mapping tool, the menus or the quest log were a little more "modern".

Still a lovely game, of course.

Oct 25, 2017
It believe it's more acceptable if you think of Ghost of a tale as an adventure/point-n-click game...

I'm six hours in and I still get lost in both courtyards. I didn't expect to say that one day but I wish the mapping tool, the menus or the quest log were a little more "modern".

Still a lovely game, of course.
I wouldn't mind that much if it weren't for the stealth aspect which just clashes with that design choice. It's obviously not hard to outrun to guards and there are costumes to help but it just doesn't really make a lot of fun to constantly either run past the same guards over and over again or take the slow guard costume (even after the upgrades). Especially cause...well, those guards don't really add anything to the game. It's not tense cause you can basically out-walk them, saving is possible anywhere, there is no penalty for dying etc.
I wish the game would have maybe come up with some different ideas.
Quick and dirty solution: You are a prisoner but prisoners are allowed to walk around certain areas of the prison (like the courtyard). So you could still have the costumes and some stealth sections but it would also allow the player to explore a bit more freely with less annoyances. And you wouldn't have to change anything else about the game.

It's still a really good game though.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Cool OT :).

I've played the early access trial on Xbox, and I'm just waiting for the full release to buy it. Game is pretty cool! :)

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't mind that much if it weren't for the stealth aspect which just clashes with that design choice. It's obviously not hard to outrun to guards and there are costumes to help but it just doesn't really make a lot of fun to constantly either run past the same guards over and over again or take the slow guard costume (even after the upgrades). Especially cause...well, those guards don't really add anything to the game. It's not tense cause you can basically out-walk them, saving is possible anywhere, there is no penalty for dying etc.
I wish the game would have maybe come up with some different ideas.
Quick and dirty solution: You are a prisoner but prisoners are allowed to walk around certain areas of the prison (like the courtyard). So you could still have the costumes and some stealth sections but it would also allow the player to explore a bit more freely with less annoyances. And you wouldn't have to change anything else about the game.

It's still a really good game though.

The game world is compact; successfully partitionning it into coherent subsets according to properties like allowed/not allowed would probably be a challenge, I think ? I don't really mind mind ignoring stealth after a time and just dashing after guards when I want to go quickly to a destination. It's frustrating to have certain pieces of clothes and not be able to use the power of the whole set till you have located all the pieces, but give me enough hiding places and shortcuts and I don't mind.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm close to finish this and I have to say that while in some areas the game is clearly rough (and not just for "bugs"), it's leaving me wanting to see more about this setting.

I sincerely hope it will manage to be financially successful enough to guarantee a "bigger and better" sequel; too bad that looking at numbers I'm afraid SeithCG will retire from software development and go back to animation, instead.
At least I hope the guy isn't losing money on it.

Short wishlist for an ideal sequel:
- bigger without going for "massive open world". Something like a small town and the surrounding area/isle would be perfect. Let's say like Risen 1.
- some combat, maybe playing as a young rat the next time.
- the "minstrel mechanic" was interesting but extremely underused. I'd like to see more of that.
- I wish it could afford good voice acting. While the writing is absolutely excellent at times, just having to read doesn't allow these characters to fully come to life.

More in general, I felt like the game was at its best when it moved away from strict stealth (which, as a fan of the genre, I didn't fee like it was THAT well implemented) except for its occasional excessive focus on collect-a-thon.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
It could have helped if at least the specialized gaming press could be bothered reviewing it, but even that was too much to ask, apparently.
They surely don't have money to spare in any proper marketing.

I agree on both points. I'm pretty disgusted with a lot of the gaming press to be honest; along trots (or scampers!) a really nice game that has had a lot of heart and soul put into it and what do they do? They ignore it.

Oct 25, 2017
2 observations after a couple hours of gameplay:

1: This is a Soulsbourne, but with stealth instead of combat. I don't know WHY it works, but it just *works*.
2: OH MY GOSH THERE'S SUBSURFACE SCATTERING ON THE MOUSE EARS AND PAWS AND IT"S SO FREAKIN ADORABLE LOOKING I COULD DIE