• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
gvhADKW.png

https://www.ea.com/game-changers/faq

Like i said.

He probably broke the contract, there's no way EA would silent one reviewer when there are hundread of them criticizing the game right now.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
But this is not a reviewer, this is a person who was paid to PROMOTE the game, not review it.
But he is a reviewer, whether EA considers him such or not. His primary content has always been reviews with a couple of other videos (including previews) thrown in there. His job is literally being a reviewer.

By the way the video is back up -

He also covers the blacklist briefly at the start, worth a watch. He is saying that it was because it was too critical.

Oct 25, 2017
We're unable to properly give thoughts on this when we do not know the whole situation. There is an equal chance that GGGMan (who I watch frequently) broke a part of the contract that wasn't about reviewing the game badly, as I'm sure other 'influencers' did not come into this problem.

Hopefully we can find more out.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Reminds me of Gamespot's Kane and Lynch debacle from years back.

Very different if it was a sponsored video, though. Paying somebody to make a video then being pissed off that video is negative is very different to buying ads via an advertising department then being taken by surprise when the editorial from a separate department is negative (which is what went on with Gamespot - the ads people then complained, leading to Gerstmann's dismissal). Both are bad, but they're very different things.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I know it's easy to automatically blame him, but we don't know what their contracts were. There are absolutely instances were people are paid to create videos or content for something without explicit guidelines on video being positive. Some of those are honest with that, others then reject the video after the fact if it's too negative, because they just assume that "you gotta be positive" was implicit, when it isn't necessarily.

And this is imporant and these PR people making these contracts need to understand this: If you want specific coverage provide guidelines. If you didn't and then you backpedal you are the bad guy to me. I don't care what you that was "implied". This contract, nothing is implied, everything has to be explicitly stated.

So, it depend on if his contract was explicit about him having to be positive. If it was, his fault. If not, EAs fault for not providing correct guidelines.
It's an assumption to assume that he was dumped cus he was negative and not for something else. I've seen Gamechangers across different games give really negative reviews and not get booted out of the program.

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's easy to automatically blame him, but we don't know what their contracts were. There are absolutely instances were people are paid to create videos or content for something without explicit guidelines on video being positive. Some of those are honest with that, others then reject the video after the fact if it's too negative, because they just assume that "you gotta be positive" was implicit, when it isn't necessarily.

And this is imporant and these PR people making these contracts need to understand this: If you want specific coverage provide guidelines. If you didn't and then you backpedal you are the bad guy to me. I don't care what you that was "implied". This contract, nothing is implied, everything has to be explicitly stated.

So, it depend on if his contract was explicit about him having to be positive. If it was, his fault. If not, EAs fault for not providing correct guidelines.
If there was a contract mandating that he had to be positive then that's the problem that should be focused on. A massive game publisher writing and enforcing a rule like that is significantly worse than some random YouTuber signing a contract with that rule in it. Commercials disguised as reviews are very dangerous to the industry.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Did he get paid by EA for a review or promoting?
This is the crux of it. Paying people to care at all about your game and check it out is as fine as summer wine. Paying to assign bad games positive reviews and scores is shit and should be rejected as a practice.
That I see nothing wrong with this. Business as usual.
Just because a bad business practice is common doesn't mean people shouldn't criticise it for being bad though. Furthermore acting like it isn't harming the industry is bizarre, especially when you frame it as some juvenile retort.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Who gives a shit if the guy agreed to give a positive review. We should be focusing on how grossly unethical it is that EA has a program where they enforce review scores in the first place.
Both EA and influencers/gamechangers/whatever you want to call them should be held accountable for unethical practices. Some of the bigger names involved can make lots of money through their sponsored videos and have a big reach. It needs to be called out on both sides.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's admirable that he's willing to be critical of the game despite being paid to promote it but this is why sponsored content is terrible and I can't feel too sorry for him if that's the business he's in. You can't review games and take money from the publisher, it's just wrong.

The authorities should crack down on this practice. It's basically company sponsored false advertising. I'm not sure how it's even legal.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're unable to properly give thoughts on this when we do not know the whole situation. There is an equal chance that GGGMan (who I watch frequently) broke a part of the contract that wasn't about reviewing the game badly, as I'm sure other 'influencers' did not come into this problem.

Hopefully we can find more out.

Any speculation on what part of the contract he broke that magically no one else has?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
apparently the video is unchanged, only watermarks were removed

J1rOrub.jpg

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Very different if it was a sponsored video, though. Paying somebody to make a video then being pissed off that video is negative is very different to buying ads via an advertising department then being taken by surprise when the editorial from a separate department is negative (which is what went on with Gamespot - the ads people then complained, leading to Gerstmann's dismissal). Both are bad, but they're very different things.
Yeah for sure. But recalls that situation as an attempt to quash criticism. I'm curious what exactly makes this review stick out among the others.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
But vidyagames are serious buzness!!!!!!
Who exactly are you and others responding to while derailing the thread?
I don't think any/many people have actually come out foaming at the mouth at EA here, or sincerely pushed them being the worst company ever narrative.

Oct 25, 2017
Both EA and influencers/gamechangers/whatever you want to call them should be held accountable for unethical practices. Some of the bigger names involved can make lots of money through their sponsored videos and have a big reach. It needs to be called out on both sides.
We should be focused more on the company behind the program than the individuals in it.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
If there was a contract mandating that he had to be positive then that's the problem that should be focused on. A massive game publisher writing and enforcing a rule like that is significantly worse than some random YouTuber signing a contract with that rule in it. Commercials disguised as reviews are very dangerous to the industry.

Not necessarily. His videos clearly said at the time that it was a paid promotion from what people are saying. So long as disclosure is there, it's not that big of a deal as far as capitalism problems go.

And issues of undisclosed paid promotions are kinda an entirely different beast from what we are talking here.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before you raise your torches and pitchforks, this stuff doesn't just happen out of the blue. There have been people removed from the Gamechangers program before on other games and it has actually never been due to criticism, but some breach of contract.

I do not know the case here nor I would dare to speculate, but please just be respectful to all parties involved without having to make threats and what not on social media.

Call it marketing if you'd like, but the whole system is rotten and looks to trade cash for "forcing" people into what to say.

I know it's an industry-wide problem, and much can be said about those that take cash simply to speak cultivated PR, but it's all still incredibly scummy given many viewers will simply think their favourite YTer is doing an honest review. Which is why companies like EA look to exploit YTers.

Can't pay off the journalists so the industry seeks to go after "independent influencers".

Worst the industry could do to journalists is muzzle them into day 1 reviews. Or take them to "review camps" with flights, free food and whatever else. The latter is kind of dead now when instead all you have to do is pay off people behind webcams with "contracts" about what they're "allowed" to say critically about your game.

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily. His videos clearly said at the time that it was a paid promotion from what people are saying. So long as disclosure is there, it's not that big of a deal as far as capitalism problems go.

And issues of undisclosed paid promotions are kinda an entirely different beast from what we are talking here.
A paid promotion shouldn't be able to be a review in the first place.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
The whole "influencer" thing is so insidious. A lot of them don't do reviews, in the traditional sense, but they're still paid to make games look good and gloss over problems. Even when they're not directly paid, they sure do get a lot of "care packages" from games companies. Custom controllers, custom consoles, lavish special editions of games. Flown out and wined and dined to special events, treated like VIP's. This isn't done for no reason, these companies aren't generous, they know that this shit subtly creates that positive impression in the recipient's head...no matter how many times they say to themselves "I can't be bought".
Seeing Xbox execs trashing reviewers and telling people to trust the type of influencers that their company is directly paying in this way...how is this not more of an issue? Reviewers make mistakes or get shit wrong...they're people. Using that as an excuse to push the people who's wheels you've greased is skeezy as fuck. Where's GamerGate now, how are they not tearing that MS exec apart for that statement? How are they not all over this? I mean, we all know why, it was a bullshit excuse to attack women from the very start, but they screamed about ethics for so long in the aftermath that it's funny to see them so silent now that there's an actual, complex ethics issue.

Deleted member 51266

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Call it marketing if you'd like, but the whole system is rotten and looks to trade cash for "forcing" people into what to say.

I know it's an industry-wide problem, and much can be said about those that take cash simply to speak cultivated PR, but it's all still incredibly scummy given many viewers will simply think their favourite YTer is doing an honest review. Which is why companies like EA look to exploit YTers.

Can't pay off the journalists so the industry seeks to go after "independent influencers".

Worst the industry could do to journalists is muzzle them into day 1 reviews. Or take them to "review camps" with flights, free food and whatever else. The latter is kind of dead now when instead all you have to do is pay off people behind webcams with "contracts" about what they're "allowed" to say critically about your game.
review camps

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
A paid promotion shouldn't be able to be a review in the first place.

I'd say it shouldn't be counted in review aggregates, but reviews in the first place isn't some hyper well defined thing, protected by some legal guidelines. There are jokes reviews, complete non review troll videos, yada yada. I don't think it's that big of a deal, so long as disclosure is obvious.

And none of this is to shut down a general discussion about paid influencers in general and their effect on our culture, consumer perception and control over narrative it gives corporations. It's just I think particular aspect of it is a bit too minor to single out.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Why did he accept a contract to shill for the game and acts surprised when EA ends it due to criticism? Did he not read the terms? This is stupidity at best, but probably PR stunt to attract views.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it shouldn't be counted in review aggregates, but reviews in the first place isn't some hyper well defined thing, protected by some legal guidelines. There are jokes reviews, complete non review troll videos, yada yada. I don't think it's that big of a deal, so long as disclosure is obvious.

And none of this is to shut down a general discussion about paid influencers in general and their effect on our culture, consumer perception and control over narrative it gives corporations. It's just I think particular aspect of it is a bit too minor to single out.
A video paid for by the publisher of a game shouldn't be able to be called a review. And any time there's a joke review, it's very obviously a joke.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Yeah for sure. But recalls that situation as an attempt to quash criticism. I'm curious what exactly makes this review stick out among the others.

I think this happens more often than people think, but rather than formal blacklisting, sometimes if you deliver a negative review you just find a publisher suspiciously ignores you, fails to send you their next game ahead of release, etc etc. Then eventually it blows over and shit goes back to normal. I've encountered it personally a lot, and from a wide range of publishers. Sometimes publishers/PRs/marketing people just start guessing about what publications/regions/people the game will do well with, then selectively deliver code. That is, after all, part of their job - to do anything they can to try to create the best public perception. And part of the job of media and critics is to work around that shit and inform the public.

It gets nasty when you get to stuff like formal bannings and stuff like that though. I feel like you're more likely to see that with influencers who post sponsored posts, too, cos you're gonna end up more annoyed if you pay someone four (or if you're massive, even five) figures and then it works against you, and sometimes even contracts for the deals stipulate against this sort of thing.

RE what makes this review stand out, it's hard to say, but it is worth noting the guy is an Aussie; so this could be EA Australia kicking off while the other regions are taking it on the chin. Again, that sort of mismatch is common.

Last edited:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But do they really still happen? The MGS4 one was an absolute joke.

Chasing after the YouTube/Twitch influencers seem to be the way the industry is largely going now. Heck, Dark Souls 3 was given to "prominent" Twitch streamers early as a means to bypass traditional reviewers.

Now we've even got EA and Ubisoft "early access" as another way to try and bypass day 1 reviews and get the hype/shilling selling pre-orders.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
We should be focused more on the company behind the program than the individuals in it.
That's fair but I also don't think we have to look at the situation and pick just one piece of the equation to blame for it. It's almost a given that big companies are going to adopt shady practices if they think they can get away with it, the individuals are the ones that could hold them to account but they are complicit. I just find the whole concept of "influencer" culture to be utterly distasteful.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Fuck EA and fuck companies trying to suppress criticism, but doesn't Gggmanlives whine about the mean ol' SJWs in several of his videos?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
A video paid for by the publisher of a game shouldn't be able to be called a review. And any time there's a joke review, it's very obviously a joke.

I do want to state that we know pretty much fuck all about this situation. All we know is that he was a Gamechanger and now he's not for the stated reason that it was "too critical". We have no idea or evidence that any money was involved in the review. There's a very likely chance EA didn't even know he was making the review and he added in the disclosure because despite the video not being a part of the Gamechanger program the person creating it is.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck all of this. Paid promoters lol. I'd do it too if they wanted to pay my ass for it but I'll be damned if I care to watch that crap or if they get blacklisted.

Deleted member 51266

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
But do they really still happen? The MGS4 one was an absolute joke.

Chasing after the YouTube/Twitch influencers seem to be the way the industry is largely going now. Heck, Dark Souls 3 was given to "prominent" Twitch streamers early as a means to bypass traditional reviewers.

Now we've even got EA and Ubisoft "early access" as another way to try and bypass day 1 reviews and get the hype/shilling selling pre-orders.
I'm weirded out by your words of choice, "muzzling" reviewers and putting them in "review camps". Did you just use concentration camps as an analogy or did I read too much into your post?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I see no issue with this. I assume he was a paid advertiser, and he did not provide the wanted content.

Like I make a product, and hire a PR person, but that PR person just shit's on my product. What do I do? Fire the fucking PR person.

If he was paid to provide a positive review, and he did not according to contract it's his fault.
I'm sure he was hired to provide an honest review, they just thought every sponsored content maker would be positive and blacklist the ones who don't.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
From Gamechangers FAQ:
WHAT IF I POST NEGATIVE FEEDBACK ON THE GAME, OR EA?
If a Game Changer posts a negative review or content about the company or one of our games that is honest and constructive – they will have our thanks and full support. We demand that our Game Changers act with honesty with us, with our dev teams, and with the community. Sometimes this can make things uncomfortable! EA is committed to being player first and earning the trust of our community. We make mistakes and get things wrong all the time. For our teams to improve and get better, we need our Game Changers to keep it real.
https://www.ea.com/game-changers/faq#q4

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Information about influencers being on companies payrolls should be public domain and any video should have a standardized disclosure that says something like "this is paid content and doesn't have any critical value or reflects the quality of the product in any way".