• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hey folks,

I'm 37 years old man and I have a lot of gray hair. I have been ignoring my hair for the past five years, but I'm now starting to get comments in regards to my age because of my hair.

I don't know a single thing about hair color. Especially for men. I've been researching online and I also spent time at the local pharmacy starring at the vast array of choices.

I just want my black hair to be black. Any men of Era color their hair? If yes, what products do you use? And how often?

Any advice is appreciated.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't do it. Grey hair is dope. I'm 33 and getting more grey as well. I've had some greys since my early 20s i think. When people comment on it I just say I like it and that usually shuts them up.

Oct 28, 2017
Let it grey. Salt and pepper is far more visually appealing than dyed hair.

Plz trust me on this.

Or shave your head.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
If you want an opinion as others have said, let it be grey. But most importantly, fuck what other people want. If you know it's what you want to do, then go for it. If you do though, I'd suggest you see a proper hairdresser and get it done correctly.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Let it grey! Shit looks rad and has personality. Besides, if people have noticed your grey hairs wouldn't it be awkward when they notice you showing up when straight black hair?

"Hey Daryl, where did the grey hairs go?"

"Oh, I dyed my hair."

Don't listen to anyone that may tell you to shave your head. Unless you are massively balding don't do this over grey hairs lol.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Embrace the grey, old man!

If you really want to dye it though, go crazy and do rainbow. That will show us youngsters who's hip.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Grey/silver hair is amazing, pull a tom fucking cruise
Collateral-Cine-Premier-Quand-Tom-Cruise-noircit-son-image.jpg

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think that sucks? Try having random white facial hair. I have to dye my beard at least twice a week just to attempt to hide it. The white hairs dont even take the dye most of the time, while the dark hairs get darker. I'm only 30. I basically look like this except not even remotely close as handsome.
beckham-4.jpg

Best advice: Get it professinly done or if you do it yourself, go a shade lighter than your normal hair color.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Ive had grey hair since I was 13. At 14 my hair started to rapidly turn grey. I always hated it. I tried so hard to embrace my grey hair over the years, but I just couldn't be confident with it. Im 27 now and I still dye my hair. I recommend letting a stylist dye your hair.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You think that sucks? Try having random white facial hair. I have to dye my beard at least twice a week just to attempt to hide it. The white hairs dont even take the dye most of the time, while the dark hairs get darker. I'm only 30. I basically look like this except not even remotely close as handsome.
beckham-4.jpg

Best advice: Get it professinly done or if you do it yourself, go a shade lighter than your normal hair color.
What's the problem with the random grey hairs?

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Hey folks,

I'm 37 years old man and I have a lot of gray hair. I have been ignoring my hair for the past five years, but I'm now starting to get comments in regards to my age because of my hair.

I don't know a single thing about hair color. Especially for men. I've been researching online and I also spent time at the local pharmacy starring at the vast array of choices.

I just want my black hair to be black. Any men of Era color their hair? If yes, what products do you use? And how often?

Any advice is appreciated.
It's almost always noticeable when dudes dye their hair black. In fact, it always looks worse and ages a person. Grey looks great on most people.

A guy at work who has naturally silver hair(in his late 40's) and it looks so nice, dyed it black and it literally aged him ten years.
I really want to be like dude, the silver looks great, but it would be rude as fuck.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like grey hair and I could ignore the problem but it got quite a bit . And especially when my hair is short it's very obvious on the sides .

I had a hairdresser do it once but I was like fuck I'm not paying an extra 40 everyhaircut for this so brought a cheap for me dye . It worked but on like the 3rd application I showed some signs of allergies (evidently it takes some time for your body sometimes . Nothing major just some itchy ness . ) went back to the hairdresser found out they use Paul mitchel (they say its only sold to professionals weird I did find it online and plan on ordering it rather the. Paying again and again for a dye by an hairdresser . If I end up allergic to this long term I plan on trying henna I guess )

And I'm like you op I have jet black hair . So I tried the darkest shade for men and evidently my Paul mitchelll colour is 1n or 1nn not sure . Evidently neutral black . Only think darker is blue black but no one has natural blue black hair according to the hair dressers

I have some random grey spots in beard so I went from having a shadow to being clean shaved again .

I can embrace my salt and pepper look when I decide to later I don't like it for now :)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No color. Just age gracefully. People can tell when you use color, it just makes you look insecure.

Embrace the greys. You've earned them.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
I feel ya, man. 32 and every day I get comments saying my hair is grayer and grayer. Got some sprinkles of gray in my beard now and even in my pubes! I'm sure its caused by the devil I married, though.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The key is not to go too dark and avoid all colors with a red base.

What is your hair color?

Edit: sorry just saw that your hair is black. Try a medium brown or dark brown rinse to see if you like it. DO NOT use a black dye- they always look unnatural, even over top black hair.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I'm starting to get grey hairs too! Most girls I know like grey hair though and my gf does too so I'm hoping it comes quicker lol

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had grey hair, I have only a few which is useless.

If you want to colour your hair you have to figure out what level your hair colour is, a lot of people think they have black hair but their hair is actually dark brown so it looks weird when they dye it pitch black. Figure out what your level is and don't go more than 3 levels darker/lighter. Once you have that figured out dying hair is pretty easy.

Alternatively, if you have full on grey hair or salt and pepper hair, that looks really good IMO. Buy a silver shampoo to make it look really good.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
The key is not to go too dark and avoid all colors with a red base.

What is your hair color?

Edit: sorry just saw that your hair is black. Try a medium brown or dark brown rinse to see if you like it. DO NOT use a black dye- they always look unnatural, even over top black hair.

This is also important. I've dyed my hair jet black a couple times and it always looked off. Blue black was fun though.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, if you're not ready to embrace your beauty, let the professionals dye your hair. I think I remember there being a different process?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I don't have enough grays to even begin to complain, but at 32 I did die my hair blond for the summer for the first time in my life and it is great!

A costumer asked me if I was still studying in school, she let out a gasp when I told her my age!

But I got this smooth gamer skin untouched by the sun, I do look a wee bit younger than my peers.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Do what makes you feel good. Grey hair ages you (not always a bad thing in terms of your level of attractiveness to others, but this is about what you want); a bad dye job makes you look insecure. But everyone who says dye always looks bad is wrong. Most women dye their hair if they go grey young (plenty of men, too) and you can't tell, because they do it right. Get a consult from a professional.

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017
I can count all the grey hairs on my head. On the one hand, it's low enough to be able to count them. On the other hand, theres enough of them on my head to need to count can't eyeball it anymore :(

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
All I can say, sure I get some pokes about my haircolor from friends, mostly for fun of course. But let me tell you, the women (old or young) love it and honestly gets pissed at me whenever I've joked about dying it.

Embrace it op! But do as you want of course, just let a stylist take care of it

Last edited:

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone here telling OP to let it go grey completely disregard the fact that he just doesn't like it that way. Different strokes for different folks kids...

Anyways a few things to keep in mind is that you want to use a hair dye that has ash or ashen undertones. Cheap hair dyes without ash undertones are those bad dye jobs you see one older gents that have a reddish tint.

I sometimes use natural instincts and I get decently good natural looking color (duh). Key thing to remember about over the counter semipermanent dyes is that they get darker the longer they sit there. To get an accurate color you need to apply the color as soon as you mix the ingredients and then leave it for the recommend time.

If you want to go professional then get what's called a grey blending treatment. Redken and Aveda have them. I have only seen the Aveda one here in a salon for $40. They dont completely color your hair but blend in the grey and make it look a lot more natural.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

If you are going down this path, and I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with dying your hair, it is probably best to start by having a professional do it, at least the first time. A hair stylist will be well placed to cut and colour you hair in a way that matches your natural colour in a good way. While they are doing it, you can ask questions about what colour they think it is, how often they think it will have to be redone, how to care for coloured hair etc.

You can do it yourself at home with equally good results, but if you use a home kit you should start by choosing a colour/shade that you would think is actually a little lighter than what you think your hair is. The fastest way to make dyed hair look unnatural is by going too dark, especially when talking about "black". If you think your "black" hair is actually black, choose "Dark Brown" to start. If you think your hair is actually "Dark Brown", choose "Medium Brown". A standard brand like Just for Men should do just fine, but make sure to read and follow the instructions very carefully (read all the way through before starting), and try to apply with care to avoid staining skin around the hairline or getting dye on your earlobes etc.

Either way, you'll need to repeat getting your hair dyed every 4-8 weeks if you want to keep the grey disguised. Exactly how often will come down to how you hair is styled (shorter, neater styles will show grey regrowth quicker), how thick you hair is (bushy or thick hair covers regrowth for longer), and how fast your hair grows (faster growing hair will obviously show regrowth faster).

Given your hair has already been greying for years and people around you are commenting on it, people will notice that you have dyed it and certainly some of them will comment on the fact you have dyed it. Be prepared for a range of comments, some positive, some negative on how it looks, some saying you should have left it grey and just "be yourself". If you stick with it, it will become normalized, and over time the comments will subside as people forget about it (and perhaps your preferred outcome is getting back to a pre-grey time where nobody bothered to comment on your hair at all). The thing to remember during the initial period is it is what you think of the results that matters, and you should stick with it or not based on how you feel about it, not others.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Everyone always says embrace the grey but I dyed my grey ass beard a medium brown colour and got a lot of comments on how much younger I look and it helped the confidence. An even salt and pepper look can look good but an uneven and patchy level of grey does not.

If you want to colour it then go to a professional for your first time. See how they do it. Ask them any question you have ect ect.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I've had gray hair since middle school...I got teased a lot for it back then. But maybe that gave me ample time to prepare, because I'm still only slightly gray at 34 and am ready to embrace it once it fully turns.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Especially at your age, grey hair looks good.
Im 30 now and i like the few streaks of grey hair i am getting. Looks dope.
Embrace it. Please dont dye, that almost always looks fake as fuck, Celebrities with personal assistants and a truckload of money to burn notwithstanding.