• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Give it to me straight doc

• It’s like stubbing your toe, swollen for a day or two and then you’re fine

• Remember the Hellraiser movies? You’re basically gonna be in that universe for a few days

Results are only viewable after voting.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I had two removed at the same time a few years back. Just follow your doctor's advise regarding how to care for it and you'll be good to go in a day or two.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
I got all 4 out at the same time when I was like 20. Didn't have much pain at all, didn't even take the pain pills they gave me. I was expecting something horrible but was fine within a day or so. Just sat around playing games and watching movies.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I had all four of mine removed when i was 16 or 17 and honestly it was no big deal. Painkillers handled the pain and my only real memory is how stiff and sore my jaw was for weeks. My only suggestion is you will get a list of dos and don't make sure you follow that. I know people who didn't, got a dry socket, and had a much worse time then I did.

Of course everyone I know got theirs done in their teens or early to mid twenties, so no idea how bad it might be or not for someone roughly twice my age when mine were done.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Follow their directions for avoiding a dry socket. I didn't, got one and it was excruciating.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I don't recall much in the way of issues afterwards aside from the areas being tender for awhile. Eat a bunch of soup and soft foods and you will be fine. The incisions and stitches are nothing to worry about....though mine itched like crazy at the end.

That said, if it is possible for you, get put under. I've had 4 wisdom teeth removed. The first two I was awake for and heavily sedated/numbed. And I remember them vividly. My gums and teeth may have been numb, but having a person yank chunk of bone out of your skull is something you feel in your whole body. I've been in far worse pain. Hell, i've watched foot surgery being performed on myself. But that shit is the most disturbing medical procedure I've ever been through. It's like that feeling you get from nails on a chalkboard but your entire body feels it. Again, less 'painful' and more 'the grossest feeling you will ever have'

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I had mine removed last year too.
I was pretty out of it for a few days. Just prep and buy your soft food BEFORE you get the procedure done.
Its a bitch trying to shop or pick up medication at the store + COVID/Mask wearing. You really should just prep to relax for a few days. Get your entertainment ready too maybe a lengthy game or two.

I have another question though...

whats worse getting a wisdom tooth removed or a root canal? whats the post-op comparison like?

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
I'll soon have to have all my wisdom teeth removed. My mouth doesn't open very far, and one of them has little more than the roots left after my dentist shaped it for an implant, only to decide after that removal was the only option, and one of those roots has decided to imitate a hook doing a 90% angle, because it wasn't complex enough already.

I'll admit that it's making me stress a bit. Not so much the pain, than the possibility of complications.

Oct 26, 2017
I had my last one removed in September because it was impacted and almost hitting a facial nerve.

Kept putting it off because it was near a facial nerve and one surgeon said I could end up with facial paralysis. Second opinion years later told me it would a centralized paralysis but no more than a numbing tingle on my lower jaw in worse case scenario if taken out.

Had it taken out and was on applesauce, mashed potato and Gatorade diet for 2 weeks because I didn't want to get a dry socket or anything stuck in the surgical site.

Ended up with a slight tingle in my lip and lower jaw (like really only noticeable if I eat really cold/hot food)

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Typically once the tooth is gone it never comes back. Heh. Anyway, it depends on whether it's impacted or not (impacted teeth are still in the gums and are "stuck"). Impacted teeth require more work and have longer recovery. All four of mine were impacted and were removed at once. Recovery wasn't the most fun, but if it makes you feel better it's not as bad as breaking a bone.

Oct 25, 2017
People handle this differently. Me and three friends all got ours out within a year of each other. Me and one friend were out of commission for like a week while the other two were up and about on the same day. Either way, as long as you follow the directions you'll be fine

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Had all four taken out at once before they became a problem. Was gassed, definitely the way to go. Pain wasn't bad, lack of solid food for a few days was a bigger deal.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
first time?
will there be a second? :D

I got one removed after it was fully grown out because it was crooked. was like a normal tooth extraction. got local anesthesia and he pulled it out with pliers.
still have the other 3.

CMP

Oct 27, 2017
United States of America
Heavily depends who is removing your tooth and how they're doing it. I was very lucky. I had a guy who used some kind of tool that just shaves your tooth away, and I was good to resume normal lifestyle after a couple of hours.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I had all 4 of mine taken out a year ago. It sucks, but it's not too bad. They'll probably put you under so you won't feel any of the procedure. If you're properly medicated you'll mostly just feel sore for a few days to a week. The first day or two will be constantly bleeding and you'll have cotton in your mouth at all times.

The most annoying part about the bottom wisdom teeth is you have to constantly clean the hole every time you eat. They gave me a syringe that I had to squirt warm water into after every meal. Had to do this for about 2 weeks.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
nah, you're good. i had all my wisdom teeth yanked out at once (like 4?) and while it''s certainly an uncomfortable experience, it's usually pretty quick and the recovery is ez.

dentists are your friend :)

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had all 4 of mine removed at once and they drugged me up so i didn't feel any pain.

Same. They also gave some Vicodin to take just in case. I made the mistake of taking some that night even though it didn't hurt that much. Jesus, at the height of it I am convinced that I could have hacked my arm off slowly with a kitchen knife and I barely would've felt it. Never again...

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I experienced it like 4 or 5 times.
Injection for local anesthesia is a little bit painful/annoying. Like a 5 out of 10, but bearable and it's only for a few seconds.
After that, you only feel a lot of weird "pressure" pain while they are cutting your gums and trying to remove the tooth with the instruments. Maybe they don't have to cut open your gums, but they have to if the tooth is in a unfortunate position where it's hard to grab and remove.

The removal procedure hurts like a 2 or 3 on my scale. Not really painful, but a little bit uncomfortable. Sometimes a tooth can stick in your gums like a champion and they have to use a lot of force to pull it out. You might think your head will get removed from your spine, but don't worry. It feels rougher than it is, lol.

The open wounds after the removal are a little bit annoying. They will hurt/be sore for the first few days and the meat/gums are super soft there. Pain can be like between a 3 or 5 in my book. Annoying but manageable.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Not as bad as people say. The worst part is mostly just the problems the open spots cause more than anything.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Had first one removed 2 months ago at age of 32.
It took 2 hours and zero pain during. First week my jaw was swollen but minimal pain.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Had all 4 of mine done in one shot and woke up part way through and helped remove one of them by forcing my head in the opposite direction while the doc pulled.

You'll be fine.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had all mine removed. Top two at the same time, and the bottom two at the same time. One of those was not too bad, and the other was horrific, and excruciating for days.

Cant remember which, though.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I'm getting all of mine removed next week. 3 of them shouldn't be a problem, the doc said, but 1 has decayed to the point where they're probably going to have to drill into the gum to squeak it out. I'm sure I'm in for some fun times indeed.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Do you have to have them removed? I still have all of mine at 31, no issues here. I see alot of people have posted they had em removed, but why? I'm no expert, but I have seen more articles with people questioning their removal If they currently don't cause any issue.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Hard to say, every seems to react different. I had no issues after mine. My brother was miserable for days.

Edit- had two removed because they were causing issues by growing into the neighbooring molars, not up like they are suppose to.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do you have to have them removed? I still have all of mine at 31, no issues here. I see alot of people have posted they had em removed, but why? I'm no expert, but I have seen more articles with people questioning their removal If they currently don't cause any issue.
usually preventative as the poster above me mentioned that they are growing into something else that would be painful/damaging down the line.

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on a few factors. Generally the older you are the worse it is and longer it takes to heal. Removing lower wisdom teeth is usually more painful than the upper ones. Also depends on the location of the tooth and how impacted it is. Nevertheless it's a pretty routine procedure and you should be fine long term.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
the stitches were the worst part for me, so god damn annoying

Oct 27, 2017
Mine was pretty easy. It was weird hearing my tooth being cracked and broken inside my own mouth, but there wasn't really any pain.

Honestly the annoying part was having to stuff gauze into my mouth for 2 days. It stopped tho and I was fine after the weekend.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Different reasons, but one of the main risks is them growing in a weird way that could impact the rest.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Depends when you get them removed. The earlier in life you do the more easily you recover. I was mostly back up and running in about a week or so after getting all 4 removed when I was 18

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the swelling I wasn't in too much pain. Though here we are almost a year later and I haven't had 100% feeling return to the corner of my bottom lip. So there's that...

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Had all 4 removed at once. The recovery wasn't bad at all. Had to be careful chewing and cleaning but it wasn't that painful or inconvenient for me

OP
OP
Liquid Plejades
Mar 3, 2018

Yeah, basically I got an x-ray since I was starting to feel something in that area, and doc showed me how that in due time it's gonna get worse and be impacted, Just gonna get it over with now.

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
For some, I hear it's not bad. I had not a great time. I had all 4 pulled and both of my bottom ones developed dry sockets. It hurt so so bad. The good news is that they were able to pack those dry sockets with this numbing packing, which got rid of the pain, but I had to do that for a week. So, in the end, it was more of an annoyance than anything.

Honestly, even with that in mind, I think the worst part is just not being able to eat what you want to. I hate it when an operation affects my diet.

OP
OP
Liquid Plejades
Mar 3, 2018
Well friends, at the dentists office and waiting for them to start in a few minutes. It was nice knowing y'all. See you at the pearly gates...or at the bottom of the infernal pit.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
My wife had two impacted teeth removed. When I went to get her, she was tripping after coming around from the medication.

The tube journey home was hilarious.

OP
OP
Liquid Plejades
Mar 3, 2018
Just finished, in a cab going home.

Took hour and 30 mins, dentist said "you have very ridiculously strong bone and teeth it's almost comical like popeye" she had to change tools and drills a few times. The tooth was fighting her.

didn't feel any pain. Just got the area numbed with an injection, no laughing gas.

Overall wasn't as bad as I thought honestly. But let's see how much pain I'm in tonight.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018

Took hour and 30 mins, dentist said "you have very ridiculously strong bone and teeth it's almost comical like popeye" she had to change tools and drills a few times. The tooth was fighting her.

didn't feel any pain. Just got the area numbed with an injection, no laughing gas.

Overall wasn't as bad as I thought honestly. But let's see how much pain I'm in tonight.
Any pain? I think I'm going to get mine taken out this week. The wisdom tooth on the bottom right side of my mouth is hurting me like crazy

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017

RIP

The first couple of days are the worst -- the pain wasn't an issue for me from day 3 on. What was an issue was accidentally reopening a stitch. I recommend not doing that.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's not all that bad. I had one of mine pulled and the dentist said it was the worst one he'd had to do in years as the tooth had fused to the jawbone.

The worst part of it was the slow ejection of little splinters of tooth and jaw. Just... Ooooft. Imagine tiny needles slowly working their way out of your jaw for a few weeks :-/