• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Is she trying to get a job right now? If so, why not just wait until after she's found one and then go through the process? If it's anything like the US, changing your last name is a pain in the ass anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
lots of people in the film industry still use their maiden names, since they don't want to split their credits up, that option should still hold for other careers as well

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm clearly not familiar with Canadian laws but is a (I believe its called) 'double barrelled name' not an option? As in, yours+hers? So it would be something like Firstname YourLastname-HerLastname?

Oct 27, 2017
If job applications are your primary concern, hyphenate. It is supposedly advantageous to have a double-barrel surname whilst job hunting.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
Can't see just use both names?

Your last name: Jones.
Her last name: Walker.

Then she'd go by Jones-Walker. Or Walker-Jones. I do not know whats common or if it even matters.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Just let her have the name.

You're basically giving up on ethnic diversity by removing it. Basically white washing :(

I think you should honestly embrace it.

If the only issue you have is job apps, she can apply as her original name, and then later say she just got recently married.

It's not a big deal.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
If she wants it, she should take it. While some places might not hire her, would she really want to work there if they're racist?

You're basically giving up on ethnic diversity by removing it. Basically white washing :(

If the only issue you have is job apps, she can apply as her original name, and then later say she just got recently married.

It's not a big deal.

Eh? Nothings being removed?

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You really should not avoid showing where you are from, that not the way you fight racism.

Tenha orgulho em quem é, seja que nome tenha, cor ou sotaque.
(Take pride in who you are, whatever name you have, color or accent).

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
My wife never took my name... A few years later she decided to go with the double barrelled surname... Which the kids have but I didn't tell her to do it, her choice...

If she wants to do then I say let her... Maybe go double barrelled?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I'm thinking forward, if his kids don't have the name, then it would be.

I'm not sure it works like that, but I don't know Canadian law.

But what if an woman with a foreign name takes her husbands "typical X country last name" would that constitute as whitewashing?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
So depressing that this has to be a thread. Just reaffirms that the entire process should be anonymised as much as possible. Race and sex should absolutely not be involved and even age for most jobs should be irrelevant, as practically as possible. No one should have to censor themselves because they just know their is inherit racism and assumptions made from largely white bosses.

OP
OP
ScoobsJoestar

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
You really should not avoid showing where you are from, that not the way you fight racism.

Tenha orgulho em quem é, seja que nome tenha, cor ou sotaque.
(Take pride in who you are, whatever name you have, color or accent).

Eu concordo...mas entre lutar com racismo e nao poder trabalhar...dificil. Especialmente quando eu tinha acabado de sair da universidade.
(I agree...but between fighting racism and not being able to work...it's a tough spot. Especially when I had just finished university.)

It's not a big deal.

To be clear - she can have it if she wants. It's just that we both want it to be a joint decision, but if she says she wants it, I'm not going to put my foot down or anything. But she'd listen to me if I thought it was a terrible idea. We're going back and forth on it together. We're not removing anything.

I don't know about calling it white washing like...I get what you mean, but it feels weird because like, I had to use my middle name to apply for jobs because student debt and stuff and I couldn't exactly afford to not have a job. I don't feel like I was the one white washing there just...dealing with the environment.

Like I don't know I don't mean to be rude, it just feels like being told that I'm whitewashing for...trying to do what I can to get a job. Feels weird.

I'm thinking forward, if his kids don't have the name, then it would be.

We have to show white folk that last names are not representative of anything other than their own biases.

If we have kids(honestly not something we are even sure about) we're going to go with the Brazilian naming scheme for them. [First Name] [Mother's Last Name] [Father's Last Name]

So (completely made up names here because, internet and stuff ) for example, if we had a kid their name would be like...

John de Nascimento Smith. And if jobs were ever an issue, kid could just use part of the last name.

If she wants it, she should take it. While some places might not hire her, would she really want to work there if they're racist?

To be super honest...a lot of places are decently racist. Like, not even high key "Fuck yeah nazis rule" racism. Even liberals sometimes will, when two resumes are against each other, go "Eh...with that last name maybe they don't speak English..." or just subconsciously pick out the more western sounding name. The subconsciously lowkey preferring non-foreign names is way more prevalent than you'd assume. Not enough to like, make someone be unemployable or anything but in a tough job market when getting interviews is hard enough, it's the kind of thing that makes it just a bit harder you know?

So far we are thinking of having her take my name since she wants it but she'll go by her maiden name during applications. Might be for the best.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She shouldn't take your last name for the sheer annoyance of the process of changing it on everything.

I've been married going on 3 years and to this day my wife's job still has her maiden name on like half the shit they mail out, let alone the process of changing it other places as well.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
[First Name] [Mother's Last Name] [Father's Last Name]

John de Nascimento Smith. And if jobs were ever an issue, kid could just use part of the last name.
Wouldn't it be "John Smith de Nascimento" since your name is the Portuguese one?

Like I don't know I don't mean to be rude, it just feels like being told that I'm whitewashing for...trying to do what I can to get a job. Feels weird.
Definitely understandable, but as a person with very Spanish (first/last) names, it's hard for me to "hide."

So I've just had to embrace it.

In the end, if the person/people hiring you didn't want you because they're racist, it's probably for the best that you don't work there.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I dunno how strict Canada is, but my aunt officially took my uncle's surname but professionally continues to go by her family name and has for over 20 years now.

Oct 27, 2017
Married in Canada, my wife and I both kept our names because we don't really want to deal with everything changing it entails

Same here. But we're both Asian so trying to hide from race discrimination by changing names wasn't really going to work either way. Ultimately we felt it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
My wife changed her last name (Mexican) to mine (obviously white?) because she wanted to, we didn't think about discrimination for a second. However, there have been plenty of times where we have felt like we benefitted from her having my last name rather than her own. It's disgusting but true.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
She can officially take your name but continue to apply for jobs with her maiden name. When it comes time to fill out official paperwork for her job AFTER the interview and acceptance of the job, then she can use her real last name. My wife in the US does the same thing.
She can use both last names. Hyphenated last name and choose which one to use in applications.

These are both good suggestions. Op, your fiancee wants to take your last name, let her she clearly wants that traditional part of marriage. Applying for jobs can be circumvented

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
ScoobsJoestar, I went through this same thought process with my wife, not for her career since she is already well established, but for our kids.

I have a Latin last name with a Ñ and everything. But I felt it was important to keep some of their Latin heritage in place.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the best of both worlds is for her to keep her maiden name and just add yours at the end like how it works with Brazilian kids as you mentioned. This way, she is able to have your last name and she uses her maiden name in applications if necessary.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is blowing my mind, I had no idea a couple could change their names to a completely new last name when getting married in some places. I knew about hyphenated last names though.

OP
OP
ScoobsJoestar

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Not gonna lie, the idea of us both inventing a new surname sounds rad and I kind of want to do it lol

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe hyphenate?

Best of both worlds?

I was never a big fan of hyphenating, especially when the long-term plan is to have kids.
Eventually, you'll have to decide which name the kid's gonna have, or - even worse - the kid's gonna have to eventually decide whose name (mommy's or daddy's maiden name) to drop. Not sure about other countries, but here, you can't have a double hyphen - so if "John Smith-Miller" gets married to "Mary Jones", one of the 3 names has got to go.

Like, if you can't decide which name you wanna carry, make up a new one, make it yours. Or do some Alexa PenaVega shit and combine them.

(this is not meant as an offense to people who decided on a hyphenated name ... just saying it wouldn't be for me because i'd feel like we'd just be delaying an inevitable choice we or our kids would have to make further down the line)

Jan 29, 2018
I knew a woman who kept teaching under her maiden name but took her husband's name as far as anyone else is concerned. I don't actually know which was her legal name but maybe look into whether there's actually a way to have an AKA for employment while still 'technically' taking your name?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I was never a big fan of hyphenating, especially when the long-term plan is to have kids.
Eventually, you'll have to decide which name the kid's gonna have, or - even worse - the kid's gonna have to eventually decide whose name (mommy's or daddy's maiden name) to drop. Not sure about other countries, but here, you can't have a double hyphen - so if "John Smith-Miller" gets married to "Mary Jones", one of the 3 names has got to go.

Like, if you can't decide which name you wanna carry, make up a new one, make it yours. Or do some Alexa PenaVega shit and combine them.

(this is not meant as an offense to people who decided on a hyphenated name ... just saying it wouldn't be for me because i'd feel like we'd just be delaying an inevitable choice we or our kids would have to make further down the line)

Not really a big deal seeing as kids can also have the hyphenated name. And if they decide later on to drop one, that's just a choice

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a big deal seeing as kids can also have the hyphenated name. And if they decide later on to drop one, that's just a choice

Yeah, but you're passing that "burden" over to them, which - as silly as it sounds - feels a bit unfair. They'll essentially have to drop one of their parents' (or rather grandparents) names.

I know that all kinds of constellations are possible, but i don't think it's practical to pass a hyphenated name on to your kids. So - in the case of the couple eventually wanting to raise kids together - you might as well decide on that 'family name' when you're getting married.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Just use both last names and on job apps get the benefit of the one people won't discriminate against.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So we're both Canadian, but I was born Brazil while she was born here. To be blunt, I look very, very white. Like whiter than Vanilla Ice. Like white enough that super racist white dudes don't hate my until they detect my accent, which is funny because a lot of my family is super not white. Anyway, I've mostly not experienced a ton of racism because, hey, looking white cheat code and I have worked on my accent so some people assume I was born here/some other English speaking country/some place they wouldn't discriminate me for. I have had the occasional "go back to your country/hate immigrants" dude but honestly considering current events I feel like I'm super privileged to get by with just the occasional discrimination instead of facing it every day.

One area I absofuckinglutely encounter some discrimination is applying for jobs though.

Like I have a Canadian sounding middle name, and honestly the differences I get when applying for jobs with my last name and with my middle name is insane. One time when I was younger as a joke I applied to the same job twice with the exact same resume, but with my middle name and the other with my actual last name. Canadian sounding name got a callback for an interview, last name application got told "Sorry, you're not what we're looking for" lol

Point is: fiancee wants to take my last name. We're concerned about the fact that, honestly, while I'd love for her to take my last name I honestly feel like taking my name would make it harder for her job-application wise. I'd honestly be okay taking her last name instead, but she's not huge on her last name(just doesn't like the way it sounds no big drama).

We're not sure what to do here, anyhow been in a position like this before? It's not a huge deal, but I'd appreciate some input.

It's kind of heartbreaking that you even have to worry about it, ugh. In the long run this may end up making non-white surnames disappear. I want to say "fuck any job that wouldn't hire you because of racist reasons", but I know I'm privileged in being able to choose and turn down jobs. :/

Super naive solution and probably mentioned already, but I didn't see it in the first page: if you guys want to have the same last name (and I understand the symbolic and romantic appeal), why don't you take hers? From what you're saying it seems like it could even help you in the long run.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me because I dont mean to disrespect those who make this choice but abandoning your own last name, when looked at objectively, really seems like a dated, sexist relic that needs to be reconsidered at a societal level.

Anyways to your point, having a hispanic last name has never worked against me and Im super white. Its more about the first name, I think.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Your options (in no particular order):

1) Don't change names
2) Change name or hyphenate it but while applying don't use full name...both of you can do this.
3) You take her name

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I have a very Italian last name and my partner is Chinese with such a last name, and she decided to take my last name legally but now goes by First MaidenLast MyLast. Technically her maiden name is her middle name. She selectively chooses when she goes by my last name and when she uses hers. For her, my last name helps her at work unsurprisingly. But me and all her friends nickname for her will always be her maiden last name (plus a -y), so she just can't get rid of that.

I think it's brilliant and nothing wrong with it. If someone has a problem with it, it's their problem.

Your partner can do the same - if she wants to go by a different name at work (or really stay with her current name) then fine. There's quite a few reasons that make sense to do this (i.e. don't have to change business cards/email, will not have to bring it up at work in case of divorce).

Last edited:

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Can she take your last name as a middle name? That way she has more flexibility about whether to list it or not in personal & professional circumstances.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Como muitas familias brasileiras, a sua deve ter passado pelo pão que o diabo amassou para chegar até agora firme e forte, e é admirável que a sua futura esposa queira adotar seu sobrenome. Vale a pena ter orgulho sim. Qualquer negócio que contrata os outros baseado em sobrenome não vale o esforço de vocês e uma hora ou outra a conta chega pra esse povo discriminatório. Considerando que o Canadá é progressista, eu diria que há chances de vocês serem bem sucedidos em ambientes que não apenas aceitam essas diferenças, como as abraçam. Boa sorte com a sua nova família.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit I'll never understand the tradition in anglo speaking countries (sorry if I'm generalizing, but I don't know iff all have this tradition) of women taking her husband's last name.
I'm latina, and while I don't like my surname due to issues with my father's family and happily adopt my mother's surname as my first one, thinking about having my husband's name seems weird.... Even if I don't like it, my surname has been part of my identity since I was born. To just drop it seems like leaving behind part of who I am.

At the same time, it obviously means a lot to the OP's fiancée, and having to reevaluate the option due to systemic racism is rage inducing. As if having a foreign sounding last name would somehow make you a better worker! I hope that someday, we'll be able to reach a world in which everyone can proudly show their heritage, without the risk of discrimination for something as basic as a name.

Anyway, enough rambling and back on topic - if she truly wants to, OP, and is aware of the difficulties she can face, then I don't see why she shouldn't. Not the option I'd take, but it obviously means a lot to her. Maybe the double barreled name as a compromise option if it worries you too much, since that will also give any potential kids of yours an alternative in this shitty world.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
I know many women who have changed their names personally after marriage but continued to use their maiden name professionally. Depending on your partner's field, OP, she can always make an argument that she had established a professional resume under her maiden name and didn't want to disrupt that after marriage -- like if she had published research or works.
Forgive me because I dont mean to disrespect those who make this choice but abandoning your own last name, when looked at objectively, really seems like a dated, sexist relic that needs to be reconsidered at a societal level.
A woman being forced to or pressured to change her last name is definitely sexist, but there can be other reasons for it. Part of why I'm debating taking my partner's last name when we get married is that my dad is a piece of shit and I don't want to carry around his name. There's definitely nuance to the conversation, like this thread displays.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know many women who have changed their names personally after marriage but continued to use their maiden name professionally. Depending on your partner's field, OP, she can always make an argument that she had established a professional resume under her maiden name and didn't want to disrupt that after marriage -- like if she had published research or works.

A woman being forced to or pressured to change her last name is definitely sexist, but there can be other reasons for it. Part of why I'm debating taking my partner's last name when we get married is that my dad is a piece of shit and I don't want to carry around his name. There's definitely nuance to the conversation, like this thread displays.

For sure, my wife is going through similar feelings, I mean to bring it up as "why is this the default custom"