• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Hi. I'm the guy fan translating Moonlight Syndrome. For context to how it links to future games, it really doesn't have much. Just the cameos in TSC, K7, and FSR. As far as major story content or revelations, almost nothing follows from MS into the rest of the KTP series.
Thanks for your work on the project. I'll keep MS in the guide just because I have a belief that it still has significance in how Suda approaches video games but I could change my mind when I'll get to beat it completely.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Nice thread. I just started TSC last week with the intention of working my way through all of the KTP titles. I'm not usually big on VNs/lite-adventure games but the mixed visual media presentation has really grabbed me. That's to say nothing of the already very engrossing plot.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Thanks for your work on the project. I'll keep MS in the guide just because I have a belief that it still has significance in how Suda approaches video games but I could change my mind when I'll get to beat it completely.
It definitely does! I just wanted to call out that over time the connections to MS have diminished. It is interesting in this context -- TSC quite literally Kills the Past of MS by making the game largely irrelevant in the overall canon. I think it's probably the most clever way to get around the canon and IP issues, but I just like to warn people not to expect any huge revelations from MS.

Thank you for your hard work on the OP!

Looking forward to it in any case, best of luck with the translation project.

Thankfully I am not the only person working on it, though it's still a little bit too early to announce actual progress on the patch. Much like Miizzurna Falls, there are some technical hurdles to get past before we can fully begin implementation.

I'd say the script is probably around 50-60% done, not counting editing, though.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
Looks like I have my roadmap for preparing for NMH3. Holy shit, dude, you're fantastic for this

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like I have my roadmap for preparing for NMH3. Holy shit, dude, you're fantastic for this
Thank you. Hope you'll finish your journey before NMH3 releases!

i've been playing a lot of suda51 games lately and was planning on doing a big thread about them but honestly the OP is so incredibly well done it would be embarrassing to do it now
You should still do one. Everyone has something more to bring to the table!

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Great work. TSC is one of my favorite games, so I got very happy when the remake was announced (I even gifted the game to some of my friends).

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Killer7 on sale

The 25th Ward is on sale. You should play The Silver Case first, but it is at its lowest price right now so worth grabbing if you're planning to do the series

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Yes, Killer7 easily stands alone. Knowledge of Kill the Past is just a decent bonus
cool, thanks! Excellent thread btw. Much appreciated. I'm eager to jump in the KTP.

I get the feeling those games need a lot of interpretation to fully grasp them.
Do you have any recommendations what I could check after I beat a game for better understanding?

McSpeed

Jan 25, 2019
Netherlands
cool, thanks! Excellent thread btw. Much appreciated. I'm eager to jump in the KTP.

I get the feeling those games need a lot of interpretation to fully grasp them.
Do you have any recommendations what I could check after I beat a game for better understanding?
There's a great plot analysis article (which can be found in multiple places, including this one) on killer7 which you should definitely read AFTER you finish the game. It certainly helped me to get a better understanding of things.

Also, there's Suda's own Hand in killer7 book which provides some good additional background, as it includes an overarcing plot which he couldn't fit in the game.
It's in Japanese but English translations can be found online. (The article I mentioned above ties in well with this too.)

Other than that, I wouldn't be surprised if Dreamboum has another write-up up his sleeve at some point.

Not to mention discussing the game here, considering Kill The Past is pretty alive and kicking again - especially following the update Travis Strikes Again received shortly after launch. (Which also means No More Heroes 3 could well shed new light on certain killer7 elements, too.)

Last edited:

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
There's a great plot analysis article (which can be found in multiple places, including this one) on killer7 which you should definitely read AFTER you finish the game. It certainly helped me to get a better understanding of things.

Also, there's Suda's own Hand in killer7 book which provides some good additional background, as it includes an overarcing plot which he couldn't fit in the game.
It's in Japanese but English translations can be found online. (The article I mentioned above ties in well with this too.)

Other than that, I wouldn't be surprised if Dreamboum has another write-up up his sleeve at some point.

Not to mention discussing the game here, considering Kill The Past is pretty alive and kicking again - especially following the update Travis Strikes Again received shortly after launch. (Which also means No More Heroes 3 could well shed new light on certain killer7 elements, too.)
Thanks a lot.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
In the Parade chapter of TSC now. Been alternating between Transmitter and Placebo as suggested. Really brilliant stuff so far. I'd rather be playing it on Vita or Switch than my PC but I digress.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Constant sales happening now...

The Silver Case on sale!

The sequel The 25th Ward is on sale too!

For less than 20 bucks you can get The Silver Case series!

Killer7 is also on sale!

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
I bought Silver Case a week ago on Steam, damn. And bought 25th ward on PS4's Holiday Sale.

Started Silver Case yesterday, went through the first case. Not feeling it yet. It's stylish as hell, but I found the story to be confusing.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
In the Parade chapter of TSC now. Been alternating between Transmitter and Placebo as suggested. Really brilliant stuff so far. I'd rather be playing it on Vita or Switch than my PC but I digress.
I'm glad you like it. I would love to have a portable version too!

I bought Silver Case a week ago on Steam, damn. And bought 25th ward on PS4's Holiday Sale.

Started Silver Case yesterday, went through the first case. Not feeling it yet. It's stylish as hell, but I found the story to be confusing.
Make sure to alternate between Transmitter and Placebo chapters and it will make more sense as you go through.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Planning to check out Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day later tonight. It's not a Kill The Past title, but it's one of the remaining Suda written games that I haven't played. Pretty stoked.

I don't think I was really sold by the first case, but in the end it became one of my all time favorite games. So I'd recommend pushing forward.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread. As somebody kinda curious and not at all spoiler averse, are there good synopsis of the plots and their connections anywhere online?

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on the final report of the Silver Case having finished Transmitter already. I wish I had played it alternating back and forth between Transmitter and Placebo, the story is weirdly told if you don't do it that way.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
What's the significance of the "FILM WINDOW" FMVs between every chapter of TSC? Is it just a fake production company, as if the game is actually a movie/series?

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Kind of sad I wasn't told about this thread. :(

What's the significance of the "FILM WINDOW" FMVs between every chapter of TSC? Is it just a fake production company, as if the game is actually a movie/series?
It's what he calls the interface he made for TSC. Using windows and different forms of multimedia to tell a story.

Planning to check out Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day later tonight. It's not a Kill The Past title, but it's one of the remaining Suda written games that I haven't played. Pretty stoked.

I don't think I was really sold by the first case, but in the end it became one of my all time favorite games. So I'd recommend pushing forward.
Ranko Tsukigime is FANTASTIC, and totally counts.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Kind of sad I wasn't told about this thread. :(
I @'d you in Discord, nerd.
It's what he calls the interface he made for TSC. Using windows and different forms of multimedia to tell a story.
Neat.
Ranko Tsukigime is FANTASTIC, and totally counts.
Do you happen to know if the digital version on North American PSN includes the shorts or is it just the game?

Deleted member 51982

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm glad you like it. I would love to have a portable version too!

Make sure to alternate between Transmitter and Placebo chapters and it will make more sense as you go through.
I would love nothing more than to read through them again in bed before NMHIII drops. The Japanese Grasshopper twitter actually liked a tweet I put out about crossing the 1M views and I'm just kicking myself for not adding something about that at the same time so they would have seen it. I have my mock up covers and everything to get the point across.

FZed

Dec 30, 2019
Super interesting!! I got the silver case and never started it... I know what I will do this weekend!

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Great topic. I know he makes some crazy games but not many really are my cup of tea. Still, I love reading these kind of essays.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Never skip leg day.
6E2F5F85F556DF125FC4FB1A7FB06C027203BA85

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I have made the visual guide I wanted to do for a long time. Feel free to share around.

killthepastbeginnergu3ijm3.png

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
TSC completed! I'm not usually big on visual novels but I'm so glad I gave this a shot. I'm pretty satisfied with Transmitter but Placebo left me with so many questions. Thankfully I've been led to believe that FSR will provide some answers so I'll refrain from asking about Morishima.

A couple questions though:

How/Why was Sumio arrested? One would assume it was for the bombing at the end of Parade but I was under the impression that Morishima and Kusabi were the only ones who were aware he (and his childhood friends) was responsible. Did he just turn himself in?

The significance of the TRUMP syndicate flew over my head completely. Were they trying to protect Kamui and Ayame's legacy or destroy it?

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
TSC completed! I'm not usually big on visual novels but I'm so glad I gave this a shot. I'm pretty satisfied with Transmitter but Placebo left me with so many questions. Thankfully I've been led to believe that FSR will provide some answers so I'll refrain from asking about Morishima.

How/Why was Sumio arrested? One would assume it was for the bombing at the end of Parade but I was under the impression that Morishima and Kusabi were the only ones who were aware he (and his childhood friends) was responsible. Did he just turn himself in?

The significance of the TRUMP syndicate flew over my head completely. Were they trying to protect Kamui and Ayame's legacy or destroy it?
1:
You and Kusabi figure it out, and he turns himself in.

2:
I have no idea.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019

Also, is there any significance to the New Order song titles between chapters?

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Just finished chapter "Smile" of Killer7.
And oh boi, I have no Idea what is going on in this game. lol
Too dumb for this stuff

Last edited:

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope something comes up out of Yuki chapter.
A successor/direct sequel to Moonlight Syndrome with Silver Case characters/shenanigans popping up sounds fun as hell.