• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Yeah it's fantastic. Defs agree on BotW vibes. It's a game that's all about traversal as a game mechanic and it succeeds at making it a blast for 50+ hours. Seriously if someone told me I'd enjoy a game about walking this much I'd have told them they were crazy.

nath999

May 7, 2018
The world is built up really well and I was actually enjoying the story but I had to stop playing. I couldn't take the gameplay anymore it just wasn't fun for me. I will give it another shot if there is a ps5 patch.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
There is a ton to like about this game and I really enjoyed the ride. The BT encounter (except maybe 1/2) and boss fights weren't up to snuff with the rest of the quality of the game but I appreciate the risks that Kojima took to bring us something unique.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Still on Chapter 3? You are gonna have a lot of fun. The pacing that the game gives you new challenges and new equipment is amazing, I just kept playing and getting better stuff and all the time there was some new challenge that would make the next delivery a bit of a hassle. There are so many systems interacting that I didnt even use some of them to my advantage late in the game.

The guns in the game are quite great but they are barely used (hopefully), this is the one thing that I would change in the game. But then again, it wouldn't feel like Death Stranding if there was a lot of shooting too. In fact I think this could have been solved with an online mode...

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing that your statement is putting it lightly. Fucking 'ell. One of the worst stories I've ever experienced in a game. "Here, have some lore barf dropped on your head in the form of walls of text that we all know you're incredibly unlikely to read, and even if you do, it will still be a mission to make sense of it.".
I loved the hell out of the story.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
One of the best games I played last year for sure, a very unique AAA experience, that's always a good thing to have imo, even if it didn't resonate with as many people as it should have.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Truly amazing game, got the Platinum after playing nonstop for about a week on release. Had a lot of fun discovering secrets in the world with the comunity. The world has one of my favourite unique aesthetic in gaming too.

And traversing around the entire map within minutes at endgame after you unlock certain tools is amazing.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most unique and best experience I ever had in gaming, far from perfect but it's uniqueness makes it a instant classic and will be remembered and loved by many.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I've played nothing like it before or since. The story wasn't the best, but the gameplay experience... One of a kind and one of the best this generation. Hands down!

And I'm not just giving Kojima undeserved credit here, I hated MGSV. I hope he'll keep making games for as long as possible!

May 19, 2020
Answer me this: Why did they get humans to make these deliveries through incredibly dangerous terrain and not drones?
in addition to what transistor said i believe the game talks about how the human porter is an important symbol to the objectives of bridges i.e. forming a web of connection. showing a human being undertaking the task is meant to inspire people to join more or less.

it is mentioned in the game so idk if it's an issue where you just missed it which is fine or your refusal to engage with the game on its own terms which is certainly your choice but a dumb choice imo

Oct 29, 2017
I LOVE Death Stranding, while also admitting that it is not a game for everyone. I played it for hours on end and got to the point of the game where it really opens up and started building so much to start getting cred from other players and such, managed to do quite well for myself with some big expensive projects. I need to pick the game back up from there and complete it this year I think, as I certainly want to.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Can I recommend this game with a clear conscience and full heart? No.
Should I discourage you from playing this game? No.

Do I love this game to death? Absolutely.
There is nothing like it. Agree, OP!

Apr 25, 2020
They mention this in the story. Something about the high failure rate of drones, as well as their inability to adapt to situations.

Doesn't that seem incredibly convenient to you?
in addition to what transistor said i believe the game talks about how the human porter is an important symbol to the objectives of bridges i.e. forming a web of connection. showing a human being undertaking the task is meant to inspire people to join more or less.

it is mentioned in the game so idk if it's an issue where you just missed it which is fine or your refusal to engage with the game on its own terms which is certainly your choice but a dumb choice imo

So what you're saying is it was a rubbish philosophical message about humans being more disconnected from each other than ever rather than using the most logical option possible under the circumstances in order to protect lives. Yes we get it, social media has fucked up basic social constructs, but can you find a way to deliver that message better than this? Societal connections aren't worth much when you're being chewed on by a BT.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
I loved the traversal but it felt like it threw an overwhelming amount of obtuse systems at me very fast and I dropped the game. I do want to give the game a second chance though I love the concept. Maybe when theres a ps5 patch, I got a hell of a backlog.

May 19, 2020

So what you're saying is it was a rubbish philosophical message about humans being more disconnected from each other than ever rather than using the most logical option possible under the circumstances in order to protect lives. Yes we get it, social media has fucked up basic social constructs, but can you find a way to deliver that message better than this? Societal connections aren't worth much when you're being chewed on by a BT.
i'm not implying it's like perfect but it's an interesting way of exploring the very real issue of social isolation as a result of environmental and technological factors. if you don't like the game that's fine but let's not pretend it's totally brainless on the exploration of its themes. the human element vs. technology is also explored in the dune series if you're familiar with that and probably better than death stranding. it's a general sci-fi thing really

Apr 25, 2020
No? In lots of science fiction there are scenarios where humans are still used because the machines can't adequately adapt like a human can.

We're talking about traversal of environments here, there isn't much that needs to be adapted to. if robots can dance to Ray Charles in 2020, they can pathfind an environment in whatever year Death Stranding takes place in.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It's a 6/10 at most. A great time waster.....If you go into it with little investment, which is what I did. As soon as I realized how shit the plot was, I would play it making deliveries with Youtube videos playing in the corner. If anything it demonstrated how Kojima is one of those developers that actually needs to be kept on a leash. His head is well and truly wedged up his own ass, and it shows very easily in his games when the shackles are off. Even the traversal felt like eurojank.

Damn this is more brutal than I would have said, but I agree that Kojima needs a "leash"/editor to truly shine. I still look forward to what is next, but hoping it is not like this game.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I enjoyed so much of the act and atmosphere of actually doing the deliveries. The traversal, the vistas, the catastrophic failures of overestimating yourself and picking up the pieces. Building infrastructure to make those paths faster and more reliable.

The game falls apart the moment someone opens their mouth, and once it suddenly wants to be a cinematic action game. There are times when the B.T. sections worked for me, when it goes from deeply tense and claustrophobic, to scrambly loose. But I also got over them after a handful of encounters.

May 19, 2020
We're talking about traversal of environments here, there isn't much that needs to be adapted to. if robots can dance to Ray Charles in 2020, they can pathfind an environment in whatever year Death Stranding takes place in.
a piece of speculative fiction is clearly not going to win against your lack of ability to suspend disbelief so i don't know why you expect anyone to like convince you if you're going to come at it like that.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Damn this is more brutal than I would have said, but I agree that Kojima needs a "leash"/editor to truly shine. I still look forward to what is next, but hoping it is not like this game.
The game part is fantastic. I don't know if he needs any help there. Many said the same thing for MGSV, that it was one the best playing open world games they've played.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
story is cray, boss fights are meh

actual main gameplay tho? game of the generation

start to finish of second area will stay with me for a long time

May 19, 2020
The problem is the mules hijacking the robots and stealing the shipments.
there are of course a few in-game plot conceits to answer that poster's questions but i think overall the issue is they don't want to engage with the game on the terms and rules of its sci-fi universe. we can try to explain the logic but if they are just going to not accept or allow death stranding to explain itself and basically breathe then we're just going to go in circles lol.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019

"Story" isn't the same as the minutiae of lore and technical explanations for stuff. Metal Gears make no sense as real weapons either, doesn't mean everything about MGS story is bad. This is especially true in games, where a lot of lore and stuff is just made up to justify gameplay mechanics. Like obviously the gameplay is about making these deliveries through dangerous terrain, but also it's set in a far-off sci-fi setting to justify all the cool gadgets the player gets. That brings up the contradiction of drones, and the game kind of gestures at some explanation why drones wouldn't work, but idk, I can't really bring myself to care lol

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I hated the story and characters, felt like sophomoric movie grad school level of on the nose allegory.

But the gameplay I was constantly engaged with, seeing a rocky path and figuring out how to safely navigate it felt satisfying the whole way through.
And as you get upgrades the way they solve some problems but create others is also really fun. It's a great game to chill out to, listen to some music or podcasts and do some deliveries.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, why didn't the eagles drop the ring in Mount Doom?

Sometimes you just gotta suspend disbelief. Like it's weird that you can't believe the drone explanation, but you're cool with Bridge Babies and such.

Elija2

Oct 26, 2017
People always joke about this game being a walking simulator, but I honestly wish it leaned more into the walking sim aspects of the game. Ditch the combat mechanics, remove certain structures like roads, and nerf vehicles and I think I would have enjoyed the game more. As it is, some deliveries in the game essentially force you to use trucks or a certain late-game structure which trivializes and monotonizes traversal (and even when not forced, you're rewarded with better ranks for using those tools to expedite deliveries), and dealing with BTs and MULEs on your journey is always an annoyance.

Apr 25, 2020

Yeah this. I'm not saying he inherently makes bad games, but when left to his own devices, it's clear he can't maintain a direction that actually makes sense without traversing into the realm of the absurd. Suspending disbelief is one thing, but referencing Mario and Peach then going frolicking on a metaphorical beach is entirely another. It's M Night Shyamalan territory by that point.

May 19, 2020
People always joke about this game being a walking simulator, but I honestly wish it leaned more into the walking sim aspects of the game. Ditch the combat mechanics, remove certain structures like roads, and nerf vehicles and I think I would have enjoyed the game more. As it is, some deliveries in the game essentially force you to use trucks or a certain late-game structure which trivializes and monotonizes traversal (and even when not forced, you're rewarded with better ranks for using those tools to expedite deliveries), and dealing with BTs and MULEs on your journey is always an annoyance.
i like using the cars for certain situations but there should be more of a risk/reward element to it. don't know how it would be implemented. i agree that the combat stuff feels pointless ultimately, none of my fondness for the game stems from punching mules or shooting BTs with pee lol.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bough it on release. It was an amazing experience to be honest. Loved the story, the setting and all the weird/dumb stuff.
I decided to just go trough the story btw, didn't played most of the secondary "random "missions, just the ones relevant for the story... Thanks to that I wasn't burned by the game mechanics.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
That's not even remotely true and it's painfully moronic to say so. Robots dancing predetermined movies in a controlled environment is in no way comparable to what the bots have to do in the fictional world of DS. Ignoring the BT and Mules, just the complex terrains that are ever-morphing because of timefall would make it different.

I know I'm crossing a line by calling you a moron but you come into this thread of someone curious and eager about the game and you just shit on it with half-baked criticism and the constant moving of goalpost. Please stop posting.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
If the game had 0 combat it would be a 10/10 for me. Just walking around listening to the music was very enjoyable.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to get back into it on PS5. I've finished the story, but want to go through and 5-star all of the locations, and there's a couple of the more obscure ones that I don't even have on the network yet. I'm still pining for a 60fps patch for PS5 before I jump back in, so it might be a while before I finally give up the wait and just finish it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's an brilliant game. Kojima Productions managed to take two hated elements of open world games - fetch quests and encumbrance - and build a compelling experience around them.

I was rolling my eyes at the 'Strand genre' idea but it really is something special. Doubling back during a climb to throw down a rope for a future player is a cool, novel experience. Making it to your destination thanks to the stamina boost of a 'Keep on keeping on' sign another player left on a hazardous path.

I think it's only held back by the other Kojima-isms, such as plot coherency holding no value and cutscenes that gave no concept of pacing.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to get back into it on PS5. I've finished the story, but want to go through and 5-star all of the locations, and there's a couple of the more obscure ones that I don't even have on the network yet. I'm still pining for a 60fps patch for PS5 before I jump back in, so it might be a while before I finally give up the wait and just finish it.
I assume right now it runs just like on the Pro right? Higher resolution and that's it?

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I really think Kojima kind of delivers the games I need for the moment. The themes explored and feelings explored in this game are really relevant especially in this time in America. I don't know if he planned the game out during this hyper divisive time in America, or beforehand, but he always seems to have this kind of clairvoyance (MGS2) that I don't see from too many in the medium.

Maybe Toshihiro Nagoshi of the Yakuza series has some similar abilities to read the zeitgeist of the moment and what's going on in the world right now.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm gonna hit 100 hours in this game before I even hit Chapter 7 because I just keep doing little side-missions and deliveries.

65FD293983798F605BDDBB3080E5614C17F95707

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game. It had some issues when it comes to the story and some characters but that aside the game is amazing.
The game made walking and fetch quests really fun. That's the thing I was amazed about when I played it.

If a sequel comes I will be there day one.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I am now at chapter 5, cutscenes, story and general feel finally reached that Kojima Craziness that i love.

I still hate the delivery concept of the game, but currently enjoying it.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I expected to not like it- ended up loving it.

I'm still obsessively building roads and zip lines in the 2nd map.

I'm waiting for a PS5 patch before continuing.