• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Hey Everyone,

Getting a vasectomy at 3pm today. Had a baby in November and we're done. My fiancé has a 5 year old son already, and we just had a girl.

I'm a little nervous. I don't have to go under. No needle, no scapal. They use a numbing gel. Generally it takes them 8-10 minutes for the procedure, but as a child I had surgery around left side of my groin, so there's scar tissue built up around the vas deferen area to locate. But the doctor said he can do it, so it will probably take 20-30 minutes.

For those that had it done, and was awake, did it hurt? Feel anything at all? The doctor said 0% chance of feeling any pain.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I had it done last week. There were the first two needles, but they were just like a needle when going to the dentist or anything. I was awake. I felt some pressure when the doctor was doing the procedure, but I wouldn't call it pain. I am just going to start working out today.. my doctor told me to not work out for a week.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm considering getting it done once COVID is all over. I'm 32 and have no desire to have kids, my partner is on the same page. The pill messes with her hormones and condoms are crap, seems like the right choice.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I'm gonna be getting one eventually too unless my partner gets his hysterectomy first. From what I researched there's really no pain.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
It was fine. You're aware that the doc is doing something down there but the numbing shots worked just fine and I didn't feel anything. Afterwards it was was sore and swollen for a couple of day but just some extra strength Tylenol took care of most of the pain.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I did it back when I was 28. It's honestly painless. The real problem is after surgery. Make sure to schedule bedtime for the next 24-48 hrs.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I had mine scheduled for last year in April but it got postponed due to well you know. Have yet to reschedule it because I'm too chicken. Good luck!

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I was awake. I got an injection of local anesthesia, which was the worst part. I was in and out in no time. I think my recovery was worse than most others. The first couple days it really hurt to walk. Took me over a week til I felt normal again.

but it's literally one of the best decisions I've ever made.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I got one in July and it was less unpleasant than some dental appointments I've had. From the procedure to recovery I would say I spent less than 15 cumulative minutes in any kind of discomfort. They gave me a shot of something wonderful in my arm first. The doctor said it would feel like I had a couple drinks too many and he was right. After that I didn't feel any pain even though I was wide awake for the whole thing. Spent the next several days icing my swimsuit area on the couch and playing video games.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I had one done in 2015. Wasn't bad at all, I was back lovemaking in around 10 days.
Be sure to shave your coin purse before going in!

SnipeyMcGee

Jul 1, 2020
I had it done in 2017. You do feel some sensation during the procedure, a little pressure but no pain. It's odd. I'm not going to sugar coat it: it's not pleasant, but pain played no part in it. The recovery afterwards made for an unpleasant week. Some people seem to bounce back quickly from it but I was hanging out moving as little as I could, playing games and watching TV for about 3 days before I felt like I could move without it being uncomfortable. Keep your mind off of it as best you can.

All that being said, I can't stand children and so I don't regret having it. If I woke up back in 2017, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I had mine a couple of years ago. Other than some minor discomfort during the surgery, it didn't hurt at all. The best advice I have is to take it super easy after the surgery, to help the recovery.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
best decision i ever made for myself. you'll be fine. sit on a bag of peas and catch up on gaming or TV.

procedure was in-office, in-and-out, no fuss, too. nothing to worry about.

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP not to scare you or anything but i did feel some pain when the doctor was taking the tubes out and he had to reapply anesthetic. I got coldsweats, lightheaded and almost threw up. Other than that, it's one of the best decisions I've made in my life and I would do it again pain and all lol. Don't let my experience detract you from getting it done though, you will probably feel no pain.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I had mine a couple of years ago. Other than some minor discomfort during the surgery, it didn't hurt at all. The best advice I have is to take it super easy after the surgery, to help the recovery.

This is good advice. I had mine done last year, and stopped at the grocery store on the way home to pick up a couple things. That was not a good plan.

You're likely going to be fine, I had a small infection that sucked, but antibiotics cleared it right up. I wish I had done it earlier, it would have saved me a lot of mental stress.

Edit to say that I also had some slight discomfort during the procedure (I could feel him tugging on the tubes, not pleasant), but I said something and they took care of it immediately.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
OP please write an update since this procedure has been on my mind as well.

So from the others here it seems the worst is the post operation where you cannot move for at least 3 days?

Oct 26, 2017
I got a need so it hurt then. The pressure kinda freaked me out a little but it wasn't real pain. It was like I wanted to feel it but I couldn't. Did it on a Friday and went back to work on Monday. What I'm really scared of is getting my wisdom teeth out.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
3d95e33c9b262cd2c6ade8d1ae32bdd1.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I got a need so it hurt then. The pressure kinda freaked me out a little but it wasn't real pain. It was like I wanted to feel it but I couldn't. Did it on a Friday and went back to work on Monday. What I'm really scared of is getting my wisdom teeth out.
Wisdom teeth isn't too bad. I got all 4 removed at the same time back in high school. The worst is the first day or so. Then it doesn't really hurt unless you eat solid foods. So I just had a lot of soup.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I've heard a few horror stories about massively swollen bollocks, but it seems to be rare. I found it less invasive than dental work.

Funny story, I was sat outside in the waiting room after it was done, and there were 2 other blokes sat there. They ask you to chill just to check you dont have any kind of reaction like throw up (which is rare). A nervous asian guy with a thick accent came in and sat down. They asked him his details. Then they re-read the legal thing that sort of said what was happening and what anaesthetic so he could consent. In broken English he starts going "No! Sleep! No? Sleep? Sleep or No?", and there was a bit of confusion over whether he was asking to be put to sleep, which they dont do. Poor bugger was clearly nervous. Me and 2 other slightly sore english blokes then spent a few minutes miming that we'd just been in and we were fine, trying to relax him. 5 minutes later he's out. "Slight pain, slight pain , I'm ok" he says. God speed, my sterile homie!

For the next 3 days I found it totally painless unless I moved. So I sat in bed playing Playstation for 3 days. Ah, and I played Undertale on my laptop.

Go for it. Don't worry, OP. Also, rawdogging is awesome.

(In less crude terms, it's liberating to not worry about risk of pregnancy and just enjoy the love)

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Had mine about 4 years ago, soon after my kid was born. It took 10-15 minutes. I got this funny feeling someone was pulling rubber bands under my skin; slightly weird, but there was no pain at all and it was very easy to deal with it. In a sense, It was a bit like being a car at the repair shop.

I told many jokes as the surgery went on. It was kind of fun, honestly ^_^ Hours later is when the pain hits you, but it's still fine.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
OP please write an update since this procedure has been on my mind as well.

So from the others here it seems the worst is the post operation where you cannot move for at least 3 days?
Many times it's not that you can't. It's that you shouldn't. You will be sore. There's no escaping that. Just keep a steady dose of whatevery painkiller they give you (most likely just a high grade ibuprofen) and the pain will be minimal. But you absolutely want to keep the activity to a bare minimum to help the healing.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm considering getting one done after all the covid stuff dies down. Have an almost 4 year old plus a pair of twins so I'm done having kids but the vasectomy scares me because I'm a huge baby and even getting small cavities filled requires the dentist to inject a metric fuckton of novocaine into my gums.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I am in your boat, OP. Getting one on Thursday in the morning. Taking off Thursday and Friday, going back to work Monday since I work from home in IT, so I'm not really doing anything physical while at work other than sitting in the chair and getting up to use the restroom.

My understanding is that the procedure itself is quick and painless, and the recovery is mostly lots of rest and taking things easy.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
:(? Vasectomies are the shit. You're kind of sore for a few days and from there it's nothing but raw dog loads. The doctor didn't numb enough so there was a very sharp prick for a second, but he just did some more numbing and it was fine. VERY weird to have somebody poking around down there, but the trade off is great.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck! We went the IUD route since it's covered by my health insurance, and it's tremendously helped my wife's cycle. $80 birth control for a 99.9% success rate over 5 years (changed out every 5 years) seemed preferable than letting any doc near my nuts.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Getting mine in a week and a half. Not too worried about the procedure itself. They even say you can drive yourself home, which I'm planning to do. I'm more concerned about how the discomfort will be that first 24 or so hours. They say to plan to be in bed the whole first day and then no lifting for the next few days. We have a one year old who is on the move these days, so that'll be fairly inconvenient.

Apparently, you don't get confirmed as sterile for at least two months, according to my doctor's office, which kinda sucks. Have to wait two months to have the first "sample" tested, then if it's clear, they take another sample a couple weeks later. If both come back clear, you're sterile, and apparently it's not uncommon for that first test to not be sterile, so it can take a number of tests before you're cleared.

OP
OP
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks everyone for sharing the experience. No needle for numb. They shoot this air gel on your sack. It's supposed to feel like a hot rubber band lol.

Cargo Shorts

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I remember about mine (35 years ago) was for the first few nights having to walk upstairs backwards.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
VERY weird to have somebody poking around down there

Yeah, that's the weird part. And since you can't feel anything, you have no idea what's going on.

As soon as my surgery started, the surgeon jokingly asked if he was being to harsh while handling my stuff. I said, "please be gentle, doctor". Then I thought about it for a second and added, "actually, don't be too gentle, that would be weird", and we all laughed really hard ^_^

Wolffen

Oct 27, 2017
East coast
I had one 5 years ago. There is some discomfort (only pain in the procedure was the first needle going in), mostly around the pressure and tugging in an area that you never expect to feel tugging (especially "outside" the sack). My urologist installed freaking titanium caps on the cauterized ends of the tubes too. (In his words "no chance of these growing back together!"). There will be some burning smells you won't like either, just FYI.

Recovery wasn't what I'd call fun, but I didn't have it as rough as a friend (who sat on his balls by accident a few times at work a week later and about passed out each time).

And like Panic Freak said: shave yer nuts!

edit: And it's too late now, but for anyone else thinking about getting one: if your doctor offers a Valium scrip, take the scrip, fill it, and take the pill before the procedure. If you are majorly freaked out about the procedure, that will take the edge off (but someone will need to drive you home).

Also: that first nut after the procedure can be anxiety inducing, as you feel like you might pop something in your sack, lol.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Got mine done in december last year. Done in under 10 minutes. I won't say it was painless because there was some pain at the beginning when the doc numb the tubes/canal/whatever before the snip snap but other than that it was fine. I drove myself home right after no problems. Be ready to be unconforttable as fuck for the next 3 or 4 days though. I also had a bruise on my left nut haha. I recommend a bag of frozen peas for the first day.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little nervous. I don't have to go under. No needle, no scapal. They use a numbing gel. Generally it takes them 8-10 minutes for the procedure, but as a child I had surgery around left side of my groin, so there's scar tissue built up around the vas deferen area to locate. But the doctor said he can do it, so it will probably take 20-30 minutes.

For those that had it done, and was awake, did it hurt? Feel anything at all? The doctor said 0% chance of feeling any pain.

I had a no-scalpel vasectomy four years ago this May. The whole experience was super easy and relatively painless (I've had dental work that was more unpleasant). The only real moment of pain was a slight jolt / kick as the anesthetic took effect, which my urologist told me to expect. He was careful to mention anything I might feel / smell (a faint burning scent from the cauterized ducts, if you're wondering) so as not to be alarmed. The whole process took about two and a half, maybe three hours but that includes waiting before and in recovery; the procedure itself was maybe 30-40 minutes tops. My wife had taken the day off to drive me home (and your doctor may require that), but I honestly felt well enough I could have handled it.

There was only a little bit of bleeding (a few drops at most) the first and second day, none on the third. Since it's no-scalpel, it's going to be two tiny pinprick-sized incisions on your scrotum and there won't be stitches to worry about. I used the ice pack they gave me on the way home and then immediately switched to frozen peas (they can conform to whatever shape you need better than ice packs) and kept rotating those in and out to keep the swelling down (99% of your pain is going to come from swelling so keeping things on ice is the most important thing). I also took some Aleve to preemptively stop any pain. Don't just sit on the ice, you've gotta really get them on there and keep the swelling down, like I said that's what's going to cause the most pain.

It also helped that my wife was home to bring me food / drinks, that minimized the need to get up often. I basically spent the weekend in a recliner playing video games which minimized my movement; watching TV / movies or reading doesn't require you to hold as still so I recommend gaming, something that will soak up your time and attention but nothing too frustrating. As a result, I didn't feel even a little pain, and any discomfort I had was minimal (about the same level as sitting wrong for a while.) I wouldn't recommend sleeping in bed the first few nights too because of movement in your sleep.

That discomfort, such as it was, lasted maybe a week and a half, tops. I can't even see the scars anymore (like I said, they were two very tiny pinpricks to begin with).

The best advice in this thread lol

The to-do list I was given before mine explicitly said *not* to shave, when I asked why he said (and it's important to note that my urologist had an awesome sense of humor, maybe it was a distraction technique but we were swapping jokes the entire time) that with the no scalpel procedure "unless you're super hairy" it's really not necessary and "people can make a real mess down there" which I assume could lead to other issues.

Wasn't bad at all, I was back lovemaking in around 10 days.

Uh... I hope it was self love. It's been a while but I definitely had two separate sterility tests a month apart before I was cleared for swimmer-free frolicking.

Last edited:

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Considered this after our last kid, but insurance actually wouldn't cover it but they would cover my wife getting her tubes tied...a risker operation by far, so it just didn't make any sense.

I'm still considering getting it done at some point still, but it's obviously not pressing anymore.

OP
OP
Oct 30, 2017
Thankfully I'm still on paternity leave so gonna relax. Don't have to wake up in morning hours feeding the 7 week old ha.

Oct 28, 2017
From my own experience many years ago, follow the doctor's orders after the operation! I didn't, was far too active the first few days (even went to a cafe the afternoon after my operation), and ended up with a bad infection that took over a week of immense discomfort to resolve.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Still one of the best decisions of my life

www.resetera.com

[Shooting Blanks] How I got my vasectomy

Im 34 years old and never in my entire life had any desire to have kids. I like children and growing up with younger cousins I always had a good relationship with them, but I just never had that desire to be a father, or to have that responsability that is required to properly raise a children...

I had sex the same day btw , lol