• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Looked like around 15 games were borked, but that's out of 515 games. Half of it was shovelware crap, and the other half way big new stuff

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
From my most played online games, Rocket being native is great, but Fall Guys being borked is terrible.

But most of the SP titles I'd play on it seem to be fine.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
It's a bit more nuanced just fyi as someone who has been gaming on Linux since long before steam even had a Linux client. Counterintuitively some native ports are not maintained and fall behind as libraries drift. I wouldn't say you are guaranteed for them to run 'like butter' as an early poster said.

The steam Linux runtime did not actually include everything every game would natively build against or assume is there. Obviously with valve controlling the OS and hardware and probably integration testing a billion games every night this is less likely to be the case here, but we'll see. Valve may end up needing to fall back some games to Proton that have native ports (you can already do this manually if you want)

Proton support is great, it's the biggest thing any company has done in gaming to make my life easier but... well every single person who uses it can probably tell you about a different unique quirk/bug in a different game that they have had to deal with. It's usually entirely tolerable, especially for Linux desktop users who are typically tinkerers, but well, it is what it is. It doesn't matter if they're all Gold or Platinum when there's a little weirdness. They need to button it up to make it a viable thing for your average consumer still.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Will non steam games work as well in SteamOS Without installing Windows. Epic game store games as well, I guess. Does andone have the Steam version of FFXIV? What is it's rating. I have the non Steam version, so it doesn't show on the list. Otherwize, it looks like I'm only out 5 games out of 150.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
I know that on the Deck itself ProtonDB will have a different meaning, but after multiple whitelisted and Platinum rated Proton title refused to run for me at all, people should just use ProtonDB as a guideline of what they can expect the best case scenario to be

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I recently started playing ff14 and decided to get the pc version instead of the steam version. Does proton only work with steam games? Would I need to install windows in order to play this version of ff14 on a steam deck?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does proton only work with steam games?

No, you can add a non-steam executable to steam and force it to launch through proton (and even select which version of proton you want to use).

For games that use installers, however, it is more advised to run the installer through WINE itself, or use lutris to set up the program, then either run the executable through wine or add it as a non-steam game to steam.

Would I need to install windows in order to play this version of ff14 on a steam deck?

No, it runs fine in linux as well.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Online

FINAL FANTASY XIV Online - Lutris

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I have about 670 titles according to Proton. So far the ones that don't work are:
The Typing of the Dead: Overkill,
Darksiders,
Duke Nukem Forever,
Universe Sandbox Legacy,
Aliens: Colonial Marines,
Agents of Mayhem,
Dark Void,
Splinter Cell: Conviction,
Chime,
Homefront,
Dead Pixels,
Kyn,
Shock Troopers,
Twinkle Star Sprites,
Viking: Battle for Asgard,
The Last Blade,
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad,
Kill la Kill -IF,
DJMAX Respect V,
Destiny 2,
Scavengers,
Dirt 3,
Driver San Francisco,
Darksiders II,
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron,
DisplayFusion,
Star Trek,
Deadpool,
Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon,
Amazing Spider-Man 2,
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions,
& Wallpaper Engine.

The only one that MAJORLY bums me out of DJMAX. I was really looking forward to a portable version of that. But at least Groove Coaster is Platinum.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hope Uplay and for honor get some native support on there because I'll put another few thousand hours in if so

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Like 99% of my steam library works. So I'm fine. The ones that don't work are mostly weird delisted games like licensed stuff, like Star Trek 2014 and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions . My library is at about 1000 games large.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think protondb ratings are going to reveal much about the updated proton on steamos3.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Six Ages is borked :( Would it's working by the time I can get my hands on a Deck since that's one of the games I'd love to play on it.
Other than that, looks like the vast majority of my 650+ library should work well.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
One big thing to note here is that anti-cheat isn't the only major problem Valve is promising to solve by December, the other big one is media playback. Proton has struggled for a while with many games using WMV and other media formats that the user legally can't play on their device without a Windows license in some countries due to patent issues.

As of the last 3 weeks this is a partially solved problem, but the results are still rolling out and haven't impacted Protondb yet. Valve is hijacking the "Media Foundation" windows calls and replacing Microsoft encoded videos with transcoded files that are downloaded from the Steam servers. This is a slow rollout right now, mostly impacting RE8 and a few others, but eventually Valve aims to have all games using WMV and similar codecs transcoded on their end and users will get a VP9 or other free version when they download the game.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not a huge steam gamer as I dont play many singleplayer games on my computer, I mostly use it for casual multiplayer with my friends so I probably wouldnt use it to play these games on anyway. But those games I do play from time to time, could use some work it seems.

Pubg - borked
Quake Champions - Silver
Fall Guys - borked

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Not a huge steam gamer as I dont play many singleplayer games on my computer, I mostly use it for casual multiplayer with my friends so I probably wouldnt use it to play these games on anyway. But those games I do play from time to time, could use some work it seems.

Pubg - borked
Quake Champions - Silver
Fall Guys - borked

Quake Champions used to work 100% perfectly after Fossilize was added, a lot of the bad results are from many months/years ago. A big issue with Protondb is that it isn't time sensitive, results from Proton over a year ago are still included in the results.

Unfortunately like 2 weeks ago QC added a new anti-cheat that broke Proton... so yeah now it's basically borked.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
Out of 188 games, only like 15 are completely borked and they're all games I didn't know I had so I assume just Humble Bundle stuff I didn't care about so all good here.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Dota 2 is fucking native. Cant wait to tilt in my bed or taking a shit, the dream

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Out of my 593 titles, 26 were listed as bronze, kaputt, or missing reports. Way above expectation. Also very suprised by the amount of native games.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
My Borked list,

Duke Nukem Forever
Galactic Civilisations I
Darksiders
Aliens Colonial Marines
Homefront
Defy Gravity
Fall of Cybertron
Darksiders 2
Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army
Star Trek
Eterium
Nosgoth
There came an Echo
Viking
Metro Exodus
Super Dragonball Heroes World Mission
Black Desert

The interface for the site is less than intuitive though I have to say. I would've thought there would be a filter for showing only games that were classed as Borked, but the only way I could find was to sort by ProtonDB rating, and even then Borked and things lacking reports are somewhat mixed together.

Same for Native. If I enable show Native then they're just mixed up and spread all over the place with the rest of my library rather than a nice easy "Only show native" option.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pubg - borked
Quake Champions - Silver
Fall Guys - borked
PUBG and Fall Guys are borked due to anti-cheat, which is a known issue that Valve claims will be fixed before the Deck launches.

Related: Issues like these being fixed are the main reason why I really think the title at least needs updating. This website gives you an idea of the state of Linux gaming right now, but Valve have confirmed their internal version of Proton is vastly different to the one we get publicly at the moment (and the one Proton DB reports are based on). This website isn't going to tell people what is going to work on the Steam Deck (outside of what works already).

The OP kind of mentions this, but we know a lot of people only read the titles

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
My Borked list,

Duke Nukem Forever
Galactic Civilisations I
Darksiders
Aliens Colonial Marines
Homefront
Defy Gravity
Fall of Cybertron
Darksiders 2
Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army
Star Trek
Eterium
Nosgoth
There came an Echo
Viking
Metro Exodus
Super Dragonball Heroes World Mission
Black Desert

The interface for the site is less than intuitive though I have to say. I would've thought there would be a filter for showing only games that were classed as Borked, but the only way I could find was to sort by ProtonDB rating, and even then Borked and things lacking reports are somewhat mixed together.

Same for Native. If I enable show Native then they're just mixed up and spread all over the place with the rest of my library rather than a nice easy "Only show native" option.

Darksiders Warmastered works fwiw (Media foundation issues I mentioned earlier, but those are a known issue and fixes being rolled out by Valve). The original does seem to be borked. Darksiders II Deathinitive and 3 both work also, so it seems just the original releases of 1 and 2 have issues.

Metro Exodus doesn't work in Proton but has a native port that works great and even supports ray tracing (not the enhanced version though).

Not sure on the others, those just stuck out at me as being resolved issues.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's too soon to be looking at these lists since Valve has been doing a lot work on Proton that isn't public yet. Treat it as an indication, not a definitive list.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, somehow can't retrieve my account data on the site, always tells me to check the privacy settings but everything is set as required. Also tried toggling between different options for privacy, but no dice.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Out of 207 games it looks like less then 10 are borked with the only one I actually care about being Paladins (probably anti-cheat related). There's a handful of bronze titles in there too but it's still a pretty good result overall.

roguebubble

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 8, 2018
For people who are proton users what have been you're experience with "silver" and "gold" games? Cause there's enough games in my library in those categories (e.g. Persona 4, Troubleshooter, Tales of Symphonia, Nonary games, Trails of Sky) that I'd want to play on a steamdeck that makes me concerned about performance

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
For people who are proton users what have been you're experience with "silver" and "gold" games? Cause there's enough games in my library in those categories (e.g. Persona 4, Troubleshooter, Tales of Symphonia, Nonary games, Trails of Sky) that I'd want to play on a steamdeck that makes me concerned about performance
Notice!

They'll probably remind you that the proton version we'll be using with the steam deck is going to be a more advanced version of what we're currently checking our libraries against on protondb.

So to everyone with borks and silvers and golds, most of this is going to be resolved by the time the deck comes out. Valve has stated as much.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
impressive! like 10 games are borked out of around 500!
and most of these titles are multiplayer which valve is already trying to fix.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be concerned, because compatibility is going to improve.

However, if we talk about how things are now: Gold I wouldn't be too worried about. Usually gold means the game runs perfectly but you'll need to tinker (usually it's just a launch option or something needs to be installed into your proton prefix first).

Silver is where things just vary wildly. I would look closely at the reviews to see exactly what the problem is. Take Persona 4 - It's rated silver because of multimedia codec issues just completely preventing the game from running. If you install the codecs or switch to a version of proton that includes them out the box (like the -GE versions) suddenly it runs perfectly.

Talking of multimedia codecs, this shouldn't be a problem soon either.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to sort by just borked? I have way too many Steam games to go 1-by-1 through the entire list.

Valve is working to fix Easy Anti-Cheat and Battleye, Destiny 2 has his own Anti-Cheat. I wouldn't count with it been fixed at launch.
Hopefully they do, otherwise I won't be following through with my order. Literally the only reason I reserved a deck was to play D2 in bed.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to sort by just borked? I have way too many Steam games to go 1-by-1 through the entire list.

Hopefully they do, otherwise I won't be following through with my order. Literally the only reason I reserved a deck was to play D2 in bed.
I mean, you could still do a Windows install in that case. All this advice only applies to SteamOS.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

Assuming you already have a PC, even if they don't get it fixed you can just Steam Link to the Steam Deck and stream D2 using LAN to the Deck.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Only one borked game, but I have several bronze games too, which, from the description, seem like they may as well be borked.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Just don't take protondb at face value.
After all it's user generated, and people often don't update their ratings after the game got better.

It's a decent approximation though.

Proton got so much better just this year alone.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
With the popularity of the pre-orders I can guarantee the number of compatible games is going to grow exponentially before release.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
A Russian guy made a free OpenGL wrapper for Disciples and Heroes series so they work fine on Linux. That's all I care about lol.