• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 27, 2018
Finally bit the bullet and bought a Nintendo Switch. It's coming later this week.

Any good games for the Nintendo Switch? Already have Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Also any other accessories that you would recommend?

I like to play RPGs and action games really. Sometimes simulation games (Fallout 4, Metal Gear Solid, Persona 5, Sims series, and the Borderlands series on both PS4, and PC were the last games I've played)

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Octopath Traveler, DQ XI seem to be well regarded for RPG fans.

As for accessories, probably just a Pro Controller?

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Pro controller, a good size Sd card and a screen protector. Games, there's a lot. It all depends on your tastes.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Pro controller cause you're going to get joycon drift no matter what

Also fire emblem 3 houses..I wasn't into strategy games before but it's pretty.much inspired by persona 5

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you're going to carry it around you need a case for sure.

For docked play I think a pro controller feels a lot better than the joycons in their shell. I don't think I'd want to play docked for extended periods without it personally.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
breath of the wild and DQ11S if you want some long, excellent games

have you played hollow knight? if not the switch is the perfect platform for it.

for action games, assuming you have already played bayo 1+2, check out astral chain.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Octopath Traveler, DQ IX seem to be well regarded for RPG fans.

As for accessories, probably just a Pro Controller?
Dude how about the actual exclusive and highly regarded jrpgs, namely Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2 and TMS#FE encore are all great games

OP if you want some more general reccomendations Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is a must have if you're a marvel fan at all, Breath of the wild and Mario Odyssey are staples and there's a ton of other great games too

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Screen protector and a Joycon repair kit (to future proof incase something happens) is a must. I'd personally get a third party Joycon set with a grip handle if since those are waaay more comfortable.

For games; Everyone is going to recommend BotW and Mario Odyssey lol. Look at some of the indie games and older ports. Can't go wrong with a portable Borderlands and Dragon's Dogma. Oh and Stardew Valley is an absolute joy if you can get over the artstyle.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pro Controller, Glass Screen Protector, a case if you're traveling and a USB C cable for handheld charging.

Undertale and Deltarune
Celeste
Cadence of Hyrule - or Crypt of the Necrodancer
Axiom Verge
Cuphead

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Why lol?

The last Nintendo product I bought was a 3DS back when it launched. Haven't been on the Nintendo side of games for a long time.
Well ignoring that yes, obviously it does, as any successful console does, it's a bit weird you bought a console without knowing if it had anything good on it!

Also Breath of the Wild, come on!

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Don't do my mistake.. I kept buying old games only on switch after I played Mario odyssey and BOTW (Bayonetta1, Dark Souls, Alien Isolation
) I was just thinking that Switch will make each of them fresh and better experience again and it didn't.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Fire Emblem Three Houses, more of a strategy rpg than a pure classic rpg, but scratches the same itch imo.

Also as almost everybody will say: BOTW is a must play for the Switch

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
For sure get a grip and here's the one I've been using for a while and it's great:

www.satisfye.com

ZenGrip Pro

Description The Ultimate Gaming Grip for the Nintendo® Switch Includes: ZenGrip Pro + Two Thumb Pads Jump to ZenGrip Pro Features & Benefits Dimensions Shipping Options The following shipping options are available at checkout: Domestic + International Shipping Available 2-Day USA Shipping Available

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ys VIII if you haven't already played it for an action RPG. Also, Trials of Mana.

Otherwise DQXIS and Fire Emblem: TH are my go-to recommendations for RPG and SRPG respectively.

Zelda BOTW and Astral Chain are both good too. The latter is closer to something like Bayonetta, with a sci-fi anime story on top.

Oct 26, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild should be in the hands of every Switch owner. It's too good

Of course, for RPGS, there's Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. I can't get into them but a lot of folk really liked Dragon Quest XIS and Octopath Traveler

For action games, well, I'm not sure if you just mean combat games or games that focus a lot on gameplay and movement. Either way, I'd recommend stuff like Super Mario Odyssey and Bayonetta 2, the former of which has perhaps the sublime controls I've ever enjoyed in a video game

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
There's this game called Breath Of The Wild heard its p good, I think it has a good score on metacritic

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild
Smash Ultimate
Super Mario Odyssey
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Golf Story
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Luigi's Mansion 3
Link's Awakening remake

Then get a Pro Controller or a 8bitdo controller if you play on playing docked at all

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You may want to buy a capacitive pencil to use with the touchscreen if you don't have one already.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of expected recommendations so I wont tread the same ground

Civ6 Switch will eat your time great game and port. If you have it on PC can also save to the cloud and pick it up on PC at home

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Also indies/AA are SOOOOO nice on Switch. Most of my longest played games have all been indies:

Dead Cells (90 hours)
Stardew Valley (90 hours)
My Time at Portia (50 hours)
Picross S (50 hours)
Hollow Knight (30 hours)
Bloodstained (30 hours)
Forager (25 hours)
Terraria (25 hours and counting)

Nov 13, 2017
Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Link's Awakening, to name a few.

Highly recommend Ittle Dew 2+. Really fun, funny game.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
In every thread like this I always recommend some good grips. I have linked the ones I use, but there are other brands as well. The OG grips pop off very easy (light thumb pressure on the tabs on top) if you want to dock. The Lite grip I use does not have the top hooks, but instead uses rubber bumpers that provide a snug fit. I have had zero issues with either of these. Please note that if you want grips like this, you have to have a large case or the grips won't fit. You can buy both of these grips with or without the case, but IMO it's pointless to buy the one without the case.

I use these for my OG Switch:
711zlvugX-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use these for my Lite:
71R%2BipMl%2BLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Since you like RPGs, Dragon Quest 11, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Congrats OP!
RPGs are my favorite genre so here are some recommendations - but I'm not sure if you do not like specific kinds of RPGs so these are just a list of what I love:

-Xenoblade Chronicles 1 / 2 : Epic, long, unique RPGs with a cooldown-based auto attack battle system. Incredible world, music, story, etc. These games are amazing.

--Moonlighter: Do you like dungeon crawling + owning a shop to sell things you get/make + restoring a town? This game is just really fun all around. You delve dungeons at night (well i do), and sell things during the day. You sell raw materials you get, and use them to also craft new gear for yourself. I've lost so much time to this game :)

--Undertale: Have you played this? Old school graphics, super super unique battle system that has some bullet hell DNA but it's more than that, A+++++ music, and a world and a story that makes you care. It also subverts some genre conventions. Only 8-10 hours long but wow it's seriously almost a 10/10 game. Cheap too. Buy this!

--Golf Story: This is actually a golf RPG. It's a really cool 16-bit-ish world where you go around to golf courses and get up to all kinds of shenanigans. You have stats, it's not like Tiger Woods. There is a story, there are lots of minigames and different takes on golf. Seriously unique game and it's sequel Sports Story comes out in the next few months too. I don't like golf and I loved this.

--West of Loathing: This a a black and white, stick figure, western RPG. Ok that sounds REALLY BAD, but it is so, so, SO good! Decent amount of content, you and 1 partner (you pick between a few) travel an overworld that gets populated with towns, dungeons and lots of other stuff. You explore, have turn based battles, and stats/equipment. It's a super solid game and it's not expensive. Highly recommended.

--Octopath Traveler: Square's "HD 2D" RPG. I was skeptical of this before launch. It is still very divisive. What I will say this that I adore it. You have 8 party members spread across a world that has tons of towns and dungeons. Each character has 4 chapters, and this is the game structure - you can tackle one person's chapters all at once, or do the 1st chapter of all of them, then the chapter 2 etc. The battle system has a "Break" system where you hit enemies with their weak points and eventually they break where you deal massive damage. You can also store up to 4 "turns" so you can unleash holy terror on them. It's great fun. The soundtrack is probably in my TOP 10 of all time! The story is 8 "little stories" with not really a huge overarching thing so if you think you would like more bite sized stories, this game is wonderful.

--Rune Factory 4: Do you like farming RPGs? If so, this is in the top 3 all time. It's a fantasy take on Harvest Moon. You farm, but you also explore the world, dungeons, battle enemies, level up stats, learn new skills and magic, and build relationships with people in town. It leans heavy into the RPG aspect and a little less on the farming. Great game.

--Collection of Mana: This has the first game in the series which was on Gameboy I think? But it also has Secret of Mana, and newly released in the U.S. Trials of Mana. These games are absolute classics. Not sure if you have played them, if not I very highly recommend checking this out. 16 bit action RPG goodness <3

--Dragon Quest 11: The definitive version of DQ11. The only thing it's lacking is the insane graphics of the PS4/PC version. In trade, you get a TON of QOL additions and features the other versions do not have. This game is RPG comfort food. It's a very long game with endearing characters, fun traditional battles, and just a great time. One of my favorite games on Switch.

--Stardew Valley: Remember when I said Rune Factor 4 was in the top 3 farming games? This one right here is the #1 all time. It's got a more major focus on farming, but also has the relationship building, mining, foraging, fishing, festivals. This game has it all. I probably give this a 10/10. I played 150 hours on Switch and am going to be replaying it on PC soon. That good.

--Steamword Dig 2: This is a game with machine robots as the characters. This is at its core a mining game - you are always mining deeper, exploring making money to upgrade things. There is a story as well. It's a very polished very fun game that I would consider an RPG and also a must play.

--Blossom Tales: This is a game that pays homage to Zelda LTTP. If you liked that game, you should like this. It's a bit shorter, but filled with charm. It has a main town and and overworld and dungeons. If you want old school Zelda this is cheap and fun.

There are also a lot of roguelikes and Metroidvanias on Switch that are excellent:
-Slay the Spire
-Dead Cells
-Hollow Knight
-Kunai
-Timespinner
-Chasm
-Gato Roboto
-Swords of Ditto
-Wizard of Legend
-Bloodstained
-Guacamelee 2
-Mummy Demastered
-Shantae Pirates Curse / Half Genie Hero
-Iconoclasts
--Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
-Owlboy
-Ori and the Bilnd Forest
-Yoku's Island Express

I own and really like all of the above!
Thanks to Nintendo Life (they do great features and I always use those to remind myself of everything in the genres, I picked out my favorites from their lists since there are just too many to remember lol)

Have fun OP. You have millions of hours of RPG goodness in the future :)

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Glass screenprotector.
Pro controller, or 8bitdo depending on your preferences.

Also made a list of games by genre/category. Not all are exclusive (I put Fire Emblem in tactical, though it could also be placed in RPG. Stuff like that)
Obviously not a definitive list, just the most that I thought of atm.

RPG & Adventure:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna – The Golden Country
  • Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition (that's a mouth full)
  • Undertale
  • PokĂ©mon Sword & Shield (if you don't mind the graphics)
  • PokĂ©mon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • The Touryst
multiplayer games:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • ARMS
  • Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
  • Snipperclips (Plus)
  • Heave Ho
  • Splatoon 2
  • Good Job!
  • Rocket League
  • Super Mario Party
  • Monopoly
  • Unravel 2 (platformer)
Platformers & Metroidvania:
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Rayman Legends
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
  • Celeste
  • Sonic Mania
  • Katana Zero
  • Kero Blaster
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
  • Hollow Knight
  • Axiom Verge
  • Dead Cells
  • Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Tactical & Puzzle:
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • Into The Breach
  • Wargroove
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Baba is you
  • Tetris 99
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Picross S
Other:
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 (wikipedia calls it action-adventure, which may be right, but felt weird to put it in the same list with Zelda & Dragon Quest)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Cuphead (is supposed to get a physical release with the DLC on disk later this year)
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Astral Chain
  • Golf Story
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Untitled Goose Game
Keep an eye out for:
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong
  • Sports Story
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
  • possible port announcements of Mario 3D World and/or Pikmin 3?

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
-DKTF
-Smash Ultimate
-Crash Trilogy
-Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
-BotW
-Abzu
-Animal Crossing New Horizons
-Ori

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Glass screen protector
pro controller
GameCube controller if Smash - I got the wireless and the wired version from PowerA
One of the Bluetooth headphone adapters - I picked up the Gulikit version and love it
storage expansion card - I got the SanDisk microSDXC

Tons of great games but don't miss Streets of Rage 4 or Huntdown.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
-Breath of the Wild
-Both Xenoblade games(get expansion for XC2 as the DLC prequel is really good)
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Astral Chains

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Don't play DQ11 unless you've loved the previous games, or you've tried the free 10 hour demo.

Xenoblade 2 or Xenoblade DE are both great games, although 2 has a fair share of anime fanservice/cliches.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Good Screen Protector (Tempered Glass is most recommended)
Good Carrying Case (unless you plan to stick in the dock most of the time)

Since You Like RPG Games
-Pokemon Sword and Shield
-Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & Torna
- Breath of the Wild
-Astral Chain
-Fire Emblem Three Houses
-Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
-DQXI S
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions
-Octopath Traveler

That will last you hundreds of hours

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Civ VI is amazing in handheld and docked. Never thought it could be done but they pulled it off wonderfully. Highly recommended