• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many moons did you collect in Super Mario Odyssey?

• Just enough to complete the story

Votes: 217 24.1%
  • 250+

Votes: 88 9.8%
  • 500+

Votes: 214 23.8%
  • 750+

Votes: 114 12.7%

Votes: 267 29.7%

• Total voters

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Moon count was my biggest issue with the game. I think I ended up around 300 or so when I got to the credits but had little/no incentive to continue after that.

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped after "beating" the game. How ever many moons that was. My kids on the other hand, they are all about getting every last moon. So, different strokes for different folks.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I've gotten 100% on every 3D Mario aside from Odyssey. Odd mix of random stars with zero effort and tedious ones like the jump rope that I simply didn't want to waste my time.

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed getting all of the moons in Odyssey, especially the more challenging parts they added post story. There is no reason to get all the Korok seeds in BotW, that would not be a fun experience (for me at least). Think I ended with around 330-350 seeds?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Korok seeds and mario moons both seem to have gone with the idea of "oversaturate the world so that you're virtually guaranteed to stumble across something while exploring." Neither game's design seems to consider 100%completion of all collectables important.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had played Mario Odyssee straightforward and just engaged with what looked interesting. Trying to checklist moons was a HUGE MISTAKE.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Kind of weird to argue that Nintendo discourages a completionist mindset or that the moons aren't supposed to be rewarding when the Moon Get jingle, moon checklists, and actual rewards for 100% completion exist.

But there is nothing in Odyssey for "100%" completion outside of just enjoying the game. There's no achievements, no in game reward for 999 moons (and you can get higher than 999 moons the game just stops counting), and the last bit of moon related content you can unlock is simply the darker side at 500.

A list of moons in an area is the exact opposite of an exploitative mechanic its a basic QOL feature.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
But there is nothing in Odyssey for "100%" completion outside of just enjoying the game. There's no achievements, no in game reward for 999 moons (and you can get higher than 999 moons the game just stops counting), and the last bit of moon related content you can unlock is simply the darker side at 500.

A list of moons in an area is the exact opposite of an exploitative mechanic its a basic QOL feature.
You get a harder Bowser fight after obtaining all 880 unique moons and a hat for Peach's Castle after 999.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I always 100% the Mario games because it's just so much joy moving around and interacting with the environment, but it's perfectly acceptable to finish the story and move on, even if you miss post-game worlds.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only games that I'm guaranteed to 100% most of the time are Kirby games because they actually unlock the complete story and has the completion percentage on the save file.

If I really like a game, I'll 100% it. I just so happen to really like most 3D Mario games, so yeah, I collected all the moons in Mario Odyssey. It was worth it.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the main campaign, and was bored out of my skull at the end. It looks great and all, but I vastly prefer the obstacle course approach to Mario to the exploration based approach. Getting all the moons sounds more like torture than fun to be honest.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I wanted Odyssey to end because it made me realize that I don't really like those types of Mario games anymore. I greatly prefer the 2D or 3D Land/World series.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Odyssey, if you aren't gonna beat Dark Side of the Moon then just quit, the game's pretty much over.

Zelda, do all the shrines and beat it. That's pretty much it for most people.

Me? I utterly enjoyed being in both of those games' worlds that I got 999 moons and all 900 Korok seeds. I combed Hyrule myself and found around 720 before needing to consult an online map. I was sad when there was no content left in either game for me to enjoy.

However if you don't enjoy the games THAT much there's no reason to feel obligated to hit either of those goals. Time is precious. Just pick up another game.

is there a game where 100% is fun besides a Metroidvania?
I 100%'d BotW and Odyssey and I don't think I've ever 100%'d a Metroidvania. They usually have goals beyond my skill to complete, like Hollow Knight (Grimme Troupe final boss and Godmaster), or feel like an absolute worthless chore to 100% (leveling to max in a Castlevania/Metroid game or finding all the upgrades when you've already beat all bosses).

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Just saying that your original argument that an achievement list somehow "compels" a player to go for 100% completion, but a moon list and/or in-game rewards for 100% completion don't also compel the same thing, is very, very strange.

Achievements compel completion well past the point of actual enjoyment. Playing a game and collecting things because you enjoy playing it is not the same.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I feel you OP. I don't 100% games anymore because it's pointless to me at this point in my life.
I'm too old to care about virtual bragging rights.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I got 999 moons in Odyssey and it never felt like a chore or like it wasn't fun *except* for the jump rope and volleyball moons.

Normally I don't 100% games but I did with Odyssey because the game was too damn good

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Unfortunately this somehow made the game worse for me, retrospectively. Why did I spend the time to collect 500+ moons? What should I do now? Collect all the "easy" moons, so I can get, idk, 628/999 moons? Or 754/999 moons? What's the point? Will it be worth it to buy future 3D Mario games if I will just complete the story and then move on?

Umm, how about to enjoy the gameplay along the way to collecting them? Why play games if you just see them as one big checklist on the way to 100%ing/Platinuming them?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
All the extra moons beyond the story aren't a meaningless experience just because you don't 100% the game.

Sometimes you just play a game until you don't enjoy it anymore and move on to the next one. Maybe pick it up later and try again?

The whole purpose of the hobby is to have fun after all.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Not only did I get all the overworld moons (863) and then buy my way to the complete 999, I also got enough coins to buy 99 moons in every shop, which is recorded on the per-world moon checklists in the 'map' menu.

I'm still only level 48 in balloon world. I have to find a lot more balloons...

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I 100% complete the things I find fun or if there is an awesome reward for completing a boring task. Otherwise I don't bother.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Nintendo players do love finishing these games and optional challenges like my friends, but they don't like Trophies....

Auch a weird thing.
And vice versa... I'm sure some people complaining about how boring these things are wouldn't bat an eye if it'd get them a plat.

OP
OP
Gemüsepizza

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the replies! The poll result makes me feel a bit better about possibly "missing out". I guess I just have to take it easy with this stuff. Also, the time that I have available for gaming in the future will very likely rather decrease than increase, so I won't even have the time to 100% that many games.

Last edited:

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is a reason why you get a pile of shit for getting all of the Korok seeds. You aren't supposed to try and collect them all. You are supposed to stumble on them as you explore.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem people run into with Odyssey is trying to get every single moon. Odyssey wasn't really designed with that mentality like previous 3D Mario games. Odyssey was a sandbox 3d Mario game that had to be adapted to the handheld nature of the Switch. Players can quickly boot up the game find a moon or two and call it quits before their bus ride ends. This was not how previous 3D sandbox Mario games worked. Getting everything in those games was necessary to see all the content. In Odyssey you basically need to get 250 moons to see all the major content and 500 to see the final hard level. So 500 is the requirement and is a sort of "100% lite"

It was stated by the games director that the games has so many moons because of that reason and i doubt Nintendo really expected many people to go for them all, that's why the final level is unlocked much earlier. So getting everything past the 500 mark is like going after all the korok seeds in BOTW. Sure you could do it but don't expect any reward.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Mario Odyssey is not fun to collect 999
I did it... but it felt like a chore

However I wouldnt say that Nintendo games in general are not fun to 100%
Mario 3D land I thought was a Joy to complete

Ireally think it's this whole game design thing where they just shove a bunch of crap in there so if you aren't good at games you can still progress... I thibk it kills the joy of it

**hint: I bought like 150 moons just so the number would say 999... and left all the other things for a day when I felt like going back to the game**

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the type of person where my friends mock me for being a completionist, and I don't consider most platformers done till you 100% (well, at least for a good long while now. Generally feels like that process is where a lot of the challenge and enjoyment comes from, personally, even if you run into some bad bits now and again), and have done so with all the main Mario platformers at least.

And I did complete my moons, but frankly... there's a reason the true final level unlocks so much earlier than that. Like, I loved the game, and enjoyed probably like 90% of the moons... but there was still plenty of filler, and a few that were straight up like pulling teeth (that damn jump rope!) So yeah, it joins Sunshine as the one other 3D Mario I wouldn't aim for 100% when replaying.

I'll also sometimes 100% Zeldas, and frankly even doing all the shrines isn't worth it in BotW. Way too many tests of strength, if nothing else. (Didn't bother 100%ing seeds).

It's just the way they approached content in those games. Getting a lot of it can be fun, but I personally wouldn't recommend aiming for all.

For what it's worth, I felt the exact same about Spider-man. Way too many "beat up the same damn generic enemies" content, and getting 100% there absolutely hurt my enjoyment.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
For Odyssey, I do feel like the Moons are devalued simply because there's a ton of them and many are earned through trivial actions. Just stop by the ship and dump like 45 of them.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
Not sure on Odyessy, but I collected all the stars (I think it was stars) to get Super Mario 3D World's extra levels and wow was it worth it. Those last levels were the best in the game and the final one was so challenging it took me almost 2 weeks to finish it. Totally 100% worth that last section of super awesome content and the practice you get along the way is cool. Is Odyessy's extra content that bad?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Is Odyessy's extra content that bad?
It's not so much that it's bad, but that the game is extremely padded to the point where getting 100% completion comes off as a bigger chore than it was in previous games.

You also don't need 100% completion to unlock Odyssey's final challenge. You don't even need 60%. Like I said before, this implies that even Nintendo doesn't feel like you "should" be going for 100%.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I think going for 100% in a lot of Nintendo games is often quite fun, but Super Mario Odyssey had a particularly and surprisingly poor postgame (other than the Mushroom Kingdom) which really made me regret going for 999 Moons. Brilliant campaign and everything leading up to the ending and Mushroom Kingdom postgame is just fantastic, but it really goes downhill fast after that -- unlike, say, the excellent postgame content in Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and 64.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Yea that's why part of me doesn't really care to get a lot of Nintendo games to 100%. If they had an achievement equivalent it would drive me to actually care about that sort of stuff. I think its an OCD thing with me but when I 100% a game and get the trophy/achievement for it then it sort of lets me retire it and know that I did everything possible in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely seem like they're trying to actively push back against completionism with BotW and Odyssey. Seems like they want you to have something new to do every time you pick up the game, but to not grind it out. Which, of course, doesn't line up with how a lot of people play games.

Which is something I appreciate as a concept. I love an overflow of objectives not meant to all be completed. So these obscene amounts of collectibles sound good idea on paper, but after a point they stop mattering whatsoever to the gameplay, so maybe a better approach is more dynamic content? Randomized events and such. That's something that for sure would have been at home in BotW, considering the criticism of variety in the game. Could be every blood moon brings a few strong enemies randomly appearing in areas with special loot. That's the direction I really hope they go in the sequel.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey was a good game but a disappointment for me personally.

If they had given special rewards for completing even 120 of the missions then the rest were all meaningless moons it would have been far better. As is it all feels a bit pointless, especially as you can just buy them with coins later on lol.

The game really was designed around small bursts of play. There's also not enough pure platforming challenges in it either.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They definitely seem like they're trying to actively push back against completionism with BotW and Odyssey. Seems like they want you to have something new to do every time you pick up the game, but to not grind it out. Which, of course, doesn't line up with how a lot of people play games.
Most people don't even finish games let alone getting absolutely everything. Mario Odyssey having "filler moons" is a non-issue outside of enthusiast circles.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Getting 100% in any game isn't ever fun OP
2 Years ago I would have agreed, but then I discovered this beautiful game.
SteamWorld-Dig-2-Wallpaper-4K.png
However it remains to be the only game that I enjoyed playing to 100% and I also loved the reward for doing so.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I see a lot of people complain about the blue coins in Super Mario Sunshine, and it's a very strange complaint to me. They're obviously placed in a way that rewards you for exploring, going out of your way, or doing odd things. One example is
Eating blue butterflies as Yoshi. It's not something you would normally think to do, but it's a great surprise when you do it and a blue coin pops out.

If you could easily come across all of them just by playing normally, it would kind of defeat the purpose of them. And replacing the super-well-hidden blue coins with something that didn't help you progress in any way would make all of those hidden little secrets pointless. It's not necessarily intended that you should get them all unless you really want to, and I don't understand why you would complain about something that you're making yourself do. And I say this as a person who does enjoy getting 100% in collectathon games-- I just don't think it makes sense to complain about it being difficult or tedious when they're designed that way.

I feel like Odyssey is kind of the same way. The game is trying to reward you for going further than you have to, and allow you to make progress in the game in various ways, rather than specifically tasking you with doing every one of those things.