• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

I cannot say I was ever expecting Getter Robo to get another anime again anytime soon, but here we are! Seems that it's going to adapt and possibly make an ending for Ken Ishikawa's final, unfinished Getter Robo manga, Getter Robo Arc. Jun Kawagoe is directing once more, and we've got Hironobu Kageyama doing a new rendition of HEATS.

I'm pretty excited. 2021 seems like it's going to be a good year for mecha and kaiju anime.

K9NC6JU.jpg

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
First Devilman crybaby and now getter robo. Go Nagai on the come up.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sweet, as someone reading through getter now(I'm on Go), this is pretty exciting... now if only all the main Getters could get modern HG kits! Especially Go, that ones a nice change of pace design and color wise

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
So, what's the continuity we're looking at here? Arc works partially because of all the build up Ken Ishikawa did of what Getter truly was in Getter Robo Go and Shin Getter Robo...something I don't feel any prior adaptation has done justice.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God!!!

- Are they going to finish the story?! Or is this going to go mostly original like the other adaptations? A faithful adaptation with a full-fledged ending would be insane
- 3D doesn't look too hot RN, please don't suck.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Ah yes, Gurren Lagann's batshit crazy uncle

Since they are using the Armageddon OP for the announcement, I want them to straight up re-use this here banger

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I have no idea what continuity this show is going to fit into, since the Getter series has lacked any sort of consistency on that front. Still this is a very exciting announcement.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So, what's the continuity we're looking at here? Arc works partially because of all the build up Ken Ishikawa did of what Getter truly was in Getter Robo Go and Shin Getter Robo...something I don't feel any prior adaptation has done justice.
Yeah that's a challenge isn't it, I'm working on go right now after reading the first 3(mind you I'm still in the Alaska arc) but the first 3 are very much one built story, I mean closest thing you've got is new getter robo for something that got far enough to cover most of the first three in its own way but it's a little too messy to use for a loyal arc base I'm guessing

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Ah yes, Gurren Lagann's batshit crazy uncle

Since they are using the Armageddon OP for the announcement, I want them to straight up re-use this here banger

The creator of Gurren Lagann was a huge fan of the manga and it shows.

Getter Robo's manga is basically...

Gurren Lagann's bad ending, the Antispiral would lose his shit at the events of the manga.

Yeah that's a challenge isn't it, I'm working on go right now after reading the first 3(mind you I'm still in the Alaska arc) but the first 3 are very much one built story, I mean closest thing you've got is new getter robo for something that got far enough to cover most of the first three in its own way but it's a little too messy to use for a loyal arc base I'm guessing

I usually read Go first and Shin second as a prequel, but yeah, I'm guessing they'd have to use flashbacks to establish the plot details and tone of their particular timeline.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The creator of Gurren Lagann was a huge fan of the manga and it shows.

Getter Robo's manga is basically...

Gurren Lagann's bad ending, the Antispiral would lose his shit at the events of the manga.

I usually read Go first and Shin second as a prequel, but yeah, I'm guessing they'd have to use flashbacks to establish the plot details and tone of their particular timeline.
I mean that's a way to fill it out(Also i was just going in what I assumed was release order. Also the go team is fun, nice to have a female pilot for a change)

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what continuity this show is going to fit into, since the Getter series has lacked any sort of consistency on that front. Still this is a very exciting announcement.
I think it follows the manga so you would do Getter Robo, G, Go, Shin, and then this new one.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
It will be nice to finally see Takuma Nagare in action, and I've always been fond of Getter Robo Arc's design.

I mean that's a way to fill it out(Also i was just going in what I assumed was release order. Also the go team is fun, nice to have a female pilot for a change)

Go is definitely interesting, the ending is...something. Hope you enjoy it and Arc.

I think it follows the manga so you would do Getter Robo, G, Go, Shin, and then this new one.

I'd love for a series to finally follow the manga's story. So few attempts at Getter Robo do that.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It will be nice to finally see Takuma Nagare in action, and I've always been fond of Getter Robo Arc's design.

Go is definitely interesting, the ending is...something. Hope you enjoy it and Arc.

I'd love for a series to finally follow the manga's story. So few attempts at Getter Robo do that.
Even the original anime skipped the original in favor of g era Didn't it?
Also I just finished reading mars so few mech shows can beat that downer. Also used to Pyrrhic victories thanks to Gundam. So we'll See

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Also I just finished reading mars so few mech shows can beat that downer. Also used to Pyrrhic victories thanks to Gundam. So we'll See

Arc: *insert clip of Pinhead saying "We have such sights to show you." here*

But yeah, you're in for quite a ride, to be sure.

Oh my goodness, YES!!!

It's been such a long wait to see anyone adapt Arc. 2021 just keeps seeming like a more optimistic year all the time (Viz bringing back Fist of the North Star, Hajime no Ippo Blu Rays from Discotek, and hopefully even better news depending upon how tomorrow goes).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Arc: *insert clip of Pinhead saying "We have such sights to show you." here*

But yeah, you're in for quite a ride, to be sure.

It's been such a long wait to see anyone adapt Arc. 2021 just keeps seeming like a more optimistic year all the time (Viz bringing back Fist of the North Star, Hajime no Ippo Blu Rays from Discotek, and hopefully even better news depending upon how tomorrow goes).
I should point out my intro to Getter was New Getter Robo so I've seen it go places before XD
Heck even from GRG not sure what can top the creepiness factor of Hayato having to fight a robot made out of the cyborg corpses of his former comrades

Last edited:

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I grew up on the original Getter Robo G anime due to parents buying VHSs of it from a garage sale. Opening song is seared into my find forever.

Oct 30, 2017
The Dinosaur Empire lieutenants in my thumbnail are cheering loudly at this news.
Getter was one of my first exposures to manga.
IImiss those fat 400 plus page collectionsof Getter strips that ST Comics was reprinting in the 90s and early 2000s

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I have no Getter Robo history, I see there was a TV series in the 70s and some OAV in 2000s. Would you need to watch the TV show, OAVs or both for this?

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I have no Getter Robo history, I see there was a TV series in the 70s and some OAV in 2000s. Would you need to watch the TV show, OAVs or both for this?

Well, we're not 100% how the continuity of this series will go. Does it connect to one of the anime? Is it more directly an adaptation of the manga, and therefore part of that continuity?

The whole manga's been fan translated, and a few of the more modern Getter Robo anime have had official English releases. So, there are options if you want to learn more about the franchise via experience.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Note the above, Manga is a solid option (Getter Robo, G, Shin, Go and Arc). For the anime you've got a few choices, my intro to the series was New Getter Robo which is a stand-alone reimagining loosely based off of GR, G, and Shin and is pretty standalone. Most of the anime are their own stand alone era(based off the different manga as a base) but Shin Armageddon will be confusing if you have zero background as it's a what if followup to the original/G era

that's as far as I know, if someone else wants to clarify further go ahead. I've been meaning to watch Go though

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we're not 100% how the continuity of this series will go. Does it connect to one of the anime? Is it more directly an adaptation of the manga, and therefore part of that continuity?

The whole manga's been fan translated, and a few of the more modern Getter Robo anime have had official English releases. So, there are options if you want to learn more about the franchise via experience.
Note the above, Manga is a solid option (Getter Robo, G, Shin, Go and Arc). For the anime you've got a few choices, my intro to the series was New Getter Robo which is a stand-alone reimagining loosely based off of GR, G, and Shin and is pretty standalone. Most of the anime are their own stand alone era(based off the different manga as a base) but Shin Armageddon will be confusing if you have zero background as it's a what if followup to the original/G era

that's as far as I know, if someone else wants to clarify further go ahead. I've been meaning to watch Go though
Sounds like I can try to grab some OVAs and get familiar, thanks!!

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Oh no, not Jun Kawagoe. It will be mediocre at best.
Nothing really comes close to the spirit of the manga. The first 3 episodes of the 90s Shin Getter OVA series maybe, before they sacked Imagawa, but even then not really. Everything else is aggresively mediocre, not nearly as enjoyable as the original manga (which was heavily reworked in the 90s, so it's not terribly outdated by today's standards).

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

No. What happened was that when adapted for Starvengers, the US went straight to Getter Robo G, rather than picking up the original anime that had previously aired. Musashi's death was rendered into the scientists simply having failed to find a third pilot before the plot started

Anywho, hopeful for the return of Getter. Been too long

Edit: Though the original anime was... not a strict adaptation, per mecha norms of the day

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
NGR is on the retro crush website in the us with the dub for free btw. https://www.retrocrush.tv/series/015707s/new-getter-robo Also I think people are mixed but I liked it. It's dark but then again stuff gets super dark in the original manga... but some of that is spoilers XD. But I liked it and as a standalone reimagining it acts as a decent entry to the core characters and some core ideas of the series. Villains are an original inspired by a mix of several groups from the manga

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
All animated Getter adaptations are completely standalone and none of them adapt the manga directly so far. Meanwhile, the main manga series are all connected

Getter Robo -> Getter Robo G -> Getter Robo Go -> Shin Getter -> Getter Arc (unfinished due to Ishikawa's death)

Getter Go was written more than a decade after Getter and G, so there's a big change of tone and focus there, and the rest of the manga follows that (there are also some new chapters added in collections that attempt to make the first two series line up better with the later ones, when you're reading it the art style change is obvious). Shin Getter is a prequel to Go.

As far as animation goes, there are the 70s tv series (Getter and Getter G) which are connected to each other and were very loose adaptations of the Getter Robo and Getter Robo G manga, changed to fit the mold of "weekly super robot shows for children" that they had at the time. Then there was a standalone Getter Go in the early 90s, which was another loose adaptation of the Getter Robo Go manga, but, on top of that also eliminating the connections to previous series (which eventually pretty much take over the plot of the manga).

After that you get the OVAs - first there was Getter Robo Armageddon. It's a completely standalone original story using elements from many different points of the manga, but the big selling point at the time is that it was the first time they were pushing something closer to Ishikawa's actual style in animation. It features the cast of Getter G and some of Go (although these ones pretty much in-name only) while featuring many elements from Getter Robo Go (it talks about a backstory regarding lunar wars and an accident which might make it look like it's a sequel to something, but all that is original to this anime).

Then there was Neo Getter vs Shin Getter, a very short and episodic OVA which mixed some early chapters from Go (introducing the new team) with the later ones (where the plot becomes connected to the original series). Yet again, it was completely unrelated to any existing adaptation though, aside from using a character and robot that originated from the 70s tv anime rather than the manga.

There's also "New Getter Robo", which starts as a direct adaptation of the original manga, but changing the enemies from dinosaurs to Oni. However, it then introduces a new original third pilot and starts using unadapted material from later manga like "Shin Getter".

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's the titular Getter Robo Arc, not Shin Getter. (and yeah I prefer the mouth closed I think)

It just looks like a Shin Getter variant to me. :/

Then again, we're in a world where Go Nagai made a Mazinger that's just "Mazinkaiser, but somehow even sharper", so I guess that's where we are now.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
NeonZ I've only seen the Beginning of shin Armageddon because I decided to wait on it till I've read the manga through go at least(I'm on go) but from the bit I watched it does feel like you'll get more out of it you've read or at least watched some of the other material because it intentionally calls back to a ton of characters from various series albeit in a different timeline. New Getter Robo felt like a good Intro since it covers an entire getter story from the beginning without being dated heavily different versions like GR/G classic animes. Even if it's own thing Ryoma, Hayato and Professor Saoetme fall into their standard depictions at least and of course the core getter lore is there.

of course the best path is the manga's since they aren't that long then you can jump into anything. Also Go is on my checkout list

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
It just looks like a Shin Getter variant to me. :/

Then again, we're in a world where Go Nagai made a Mazinger that's just "Mazinkaiser, but somehow even sharper", so I guess that's where we are now.

Arc's actually fairly old, it started in 2001.

It's a fair bit different from Shin. After the nightmare fuel horror that was Shin Getter Robo, they weren't just going to bust out a light update...>_>

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Arc's actually fairly old, it started in 2001.

It's a fair bit different from Shin. After the nightmare fuel horror that was Shin Getter Robo, they weren't just going to bust out a light update...>_>

It's that old? How come it doesn't show up in crossovers? They're never shy about including too many Getters.

OP
OP
Harpoon

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
It's that old? How come it doesn't show up in crossovers? They're never shy about including too many Getters.

I think a large part of it was that Arc never having an ending due to Ken Ishikawa's passing made a lot of people not sure what to do with it, and reluctant to so much as touch it.

Until now, anyway.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
All animated Getter adaptations are completely standalone and none of them adapt the manga directly so far. Meanwhile, the main manga series are all connected

Getter Robo -> Getter Robo G -> Getter Robo Go -> Shin Getter -> Getter Arc (unfinished due to Ishikawa's death)

Getter Go was written more than a decade after Getter and G, so there's a big change of tone and focus there, and the rest of the manga follows that (there are also some new chapters added in collections that attempt to make the first two series line up better with the later ones, when you're reading it the art style change is obvious). Shin Getter is a prequel to Go.

As far as animation goes, there are the 70s tv series (Getter and Getter G) which are connected to each other and were very loose adaptations of the Getter Robo and Getter Robo G manga, changed to fit the mold of "weekly super robot shows for children" that they had at the time. Then there was a standalone Getter Go in the early 90s, which was another loose adaptation of the Getter Robo Go manga, but, on top of that also eliminating the connections to previous series (which eventually pretty much take over the plot of the manga).

After that you get the OVAs - first there was Getter Robo Armageddon. It's a completely standalone original story using elements from many different points of the manga, but the big selling point at the time is that it was the first time they were pushing something closer to Ishikawa's actual style in animation. It features the cast of Getter G and some of Go (although these ones pretty much in-name only) while featuring many elements from Getter Robo Go (it talks about a backstory regarding lunar wars and an accident which might make it look like it's a sequel to something, but all that is original to this anime).

Then there was Neo Getter vs Shin Getter, a very short and episodic OVA which mixed some early chapters from Go (introducing the new team) with the later ones (where the plot becomes connected to the original series). Yet again, it was completely unrelated to any existing adaptation though, aside from using a character and robot that originated from the 70s tv anime rather than the manga.

There's also "New Getter Robo", which starts as a direct adaptation of the original manga, but changing the enemies from dinosaurs to Oni. However, it then introduces a new original third pilot and starts using unadapted material from later manga like "Shin Getter".
Thanks for the detailed reply!

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a normal series or an OVA series? Because the Wataru revival didn't tell us it was a bunch of short OVAs until like 2 months before airing.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I can't wait to see how people will end up reacting to some of Getter's darker/stranger content, if it indeed adapts Arc accurately.

unknown.png

Oh boy do you learn a lot about Getter... *insert insane laughter here*

Man, the wait to Summer is going to be rough.

New trailer and other info
OP
OP
Harpoon

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Been a while since we got any news on this, but news we have! First off, a new trailer that reconfirms a July release date. It also reveals that JAM Project's doing a rendition of STORM, the opening song for 2000's Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo, in addition to Kageyama's new renditon of HEATS!

Additionally, JAM Project will be doing a brand-new song for the opening theme!

And more news on April 17th.