• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
omg lol awesome i've seen other promotions like this but this is the first one i'm going to use

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Thought this was a meme when I first heard about this. It's uh, it's something alright.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Eeeeh, people on Twitter saying this is the new "Pokemon Go to the polls" but that one still is the cringe king.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
To all the people saying Biden isn't perfect, you are right and he deserves to have his feet held to the fire. Now is not the time to do that. Do that day one after he takes office. Bringing up his flaws and encouraging people to not vote or vote third party, intentional or not, isn't helpful.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Into this. Sad that I feel more comfortable putting a sign up in Animal Crossing than in reality, but hey, 2020 right?

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of the ticket and wish it were other more progressive candidates like Bernie and Warren, but this is cute and wholesome. I hope the campaigns continue to try to engage with young people where they are at.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get comments like this, because gamers like to swear up and down that "gaming isn't just for children!" (which is true) but then as soon as something like this happens, it's like "uh, why are they trying so hard to be hip with the kids?"

Zillions of adults played Animal Crossing this year. It cast an incredibly wide net. It's part of the culture, now. Gamers seem to want to have it both ways; they want gaming to be mainstream and "accepted" and then at the same time they want it to be like this cool insider thing and if any outsider tries to interact with it, it's "cringe."

If gaming is mainstream, stuff like this is going to happen.
Pokemon Go to the polls was terrible (despite the fact going to the polls is far more important than virtual -or- real life yard signs) because it felt like a dad joke. It may get a chuckle or a smirk, but mostly it makes you groan.

This, honestly, doesn't feel awful an idea. New Horizons is very much a fully customizable title, to the point people have already designed their favorite real world clothing brands in the game. Being able to also download an "official" yard sign is basically just, "why not," in my mind.

Good takes.

Shocked that people see this don't understand this is literally the same as me going to twitter and uploading a qr code of a sunflower I drew. This had and requires no blessing from Nintendo.

I just think games (particularly purely chill/escapist games like AC) should be an escape from the real world, not a reminder of it. Feel like the last place politics or elections should be is Animal Crossing

Then you want games without user generated content.

For the record I'm going to put it in my AC yard. Because it's cute and whatever.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
How do I make it a sign like in their screenshots? I can only make it a painting which looks kind of odd.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Pretty funny, since I often play video games as a means to escape politics. If any games I play start doing this shit, I'm out.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Then you want games without user generated content.

For the record I'm going to put it in my AC yard. Because it's cute and whatever.

I don't know how you could possibly get from my post that I object to *all user-generated content*, I simply object to US politics being in a game like Animal Crossing. I don't think it shouldn't be allowed, I just personally don't like it and won't be making use of it. Per my original post, I play AC to escape from the real world, not be reminded of it.

Feel free to disagree, as long as you're not putting words in my mouth, or making blanket generalizations that I do not agree with.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm proud to support Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in 2020 because American politics is a binary choice at the presidential level. Biden wasn't my first choice in the Democratic primary, hell he wasn't even my 4th or 5th choice, but the primary is over. Meanwhile, the other choice on the ballot -- Trump -- over these 3.5 years has taken the strongest economy since World War II, literally 10 years of Q>Q growth, and now turned it into the deepest recession since the Great Depression. 6million Americans are sick, 185,000+ have died. More first-time unemployment claims than any other time in American history. And, on top of this disaster of a presidency, we have a president who is actively trying to stoke a race war because he thinks it's good for his re-election chances and good for his personal corporate wealth. Promoting far, radical conspiracy theories about anti-vaccinations, about "thugs" stealing airplanes and coming to the suburbs, about how he's the only hope for white suburban women.

On the other side, Joe Biden is not some perfect presidential candidate, but the reason he won the most votes in the Democratic primary is because he has a decades-long record of being competent, and in this time -- vigilante murders targeting black people on the street, police murdering civilians without consequence, a raging pandemic where in the United States is by far the worst country in the world, antagonistic leaders putting bounties on our soldiers without consequence -- simple, reliable, empathetic competency is not just a "lesser of two evils."

People played this game 4 years ago with Clinton and Trump. Among people who aren't that tapped into politics, or who "Want to keep politics out of sports" or "Want to keep politics out of videogames," they're very eager to equivocate between both sides. "Sure, Trump bragged about sexually assaulting women and called Latinos rapists and murders, but look at all the Clinton scandals -- her emails, Benghazi, Seth Rich..." And someone will challenge that and say, sorry, elaborate on that, and then the moral equivocator will back off, "lol all I'm saying is they're both trash and I want something better." Okay, well this is the result of you wanting something better and yet perpetually arguing against the better choice as "the lesser of two evils." A collapsing state, a wanna-be demagogue dictator, a party without a platform that has no vision for America other than death and destruction. This isn't a choice between "The lesser of two evils," it's a choice between an imperfect but capable candidate, and a death cult.

Imagine living through the last 3 and a half years in America and still being proud to promote such an ignorant, uninformed, embarrassing equivocation.
This is a perfect post. Well said.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Biden says dumb shit because he THINKS dumb shit. Just bc he apologized doesnt mean that was anything other than his campaign coaching him to say something, and is literally the bear minimum. Unless he's going to be a complete puppet of his 'progressive' campaign in office, I dont see that going away.
Everyone thinks dumb shit. You would think that apologizing wouldn't be such a big thing, but we're in 2020 and genuine apologies are hard to come by, especially from politicians.

There are no perfect politicians because there are no perfect people. As I said, we're voting for a competent bureaucrat, not a savior. Biden easily passes that test.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is Nintendo okay with this?
Generally Nintendo allows people to do what they will with their creation products as long as they aren't inappropriate for public viewing (lewd or unsafe imagery), selling the assets for direct personal gain (in-game materials) or using it for illegal activities (child abuse/grooming).

Dozens of companies have been using Animal Crossing NH for free viral advertisement at this point, nothing's stopped them.

Sep 12, 2018
I don't know how you could possibly get from my post that I object to *all user-generated content*, I simply object to US politics being in a game like Animal Crossing. I don't think it shouldn't be allowed, I just personally don't like it and won't be making use of it. Per my original post, I play AC to escape from the real world, not be reminded of it.

Feel free to disagree, as long as you're not putting words in my mouth, or making blanket generalizations that I do not agree with.
I dislike Biden and Harris and you'd have to put a gun to my head to have campaign art on my island (especially because I'm not even in the US) but this "no politics in mah games" mentality is silly. Politics are everywhere in media, not least in a game that is literally about people expressing themselves.

Oct 29, 2017
It is cute and if I still played I'd probably get a yard sign. Otherwise I like it. Didn't anyone play burnout paradise online in 2008? It's something that doesn't affect you at all. I go on YouTube, I close out the trump banner on the top page, I move on with life.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
To all the people saying Biden isn't perfect, you are right and he deserves to have his feet held to the fire. Now is not the time to do that. Do that day one after he takes office. Bringing up his flaws and encouraging people to not vote or vote third party, intentional or not, isn't helpful.

I'm hopeful that he surrounds himself with the right people so that his administration as a whole makes up for Biden's own failings both socially and politically.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Oh fun, Cops and Gropers.
Those are some nice looking villagers though.

Nice right wing talking points. Great contribution to the discourse of this thread, buddy 🙄

I can't believe people are still on the same bullshit we had 4 years ago. Even with Sanders working with Biden, people still bitch and moan like he was robbed of the nomination. Nevermind that one of Sanders' biggest problems is young people not showing up to vote.

As for the AC stuff, it's fairly harmless as it isn't being forced on anyone. I saw the Twitter replies full of people dismissing AC as a game for children, which shows just how clueless people are. But that's the least surprising thing about all this, I suppose.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dislike Biden and Harris and you'd have to put a gun to my head to have campaign art on my island (especially because I'm not even in the US) but this "no politics in mah games" mentality is silly. Politics are everywhere in media, not least in a game that is literally about people expressing themselves.

I'll be very glad when the campaign is over. I haven't played any games this year or anytime I can recall that have current world politics in them, not sure what games you are playing? But you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm proud to support Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in 2020 because American politics is a binary choice at the presidential level. Biden wasn't my first choice in the Democratic primary, hell he wasn't even my 4th or 5th choice, but the primary is over. Meanwhile, the other choice on the ballot -- Trump -- over these 3.5 years has taken the strongest economy since World War II, literally 10 years of Q>Q growth, and now turned it into the deepest recession since the Great Depression. 6million Americans are sick, 185,000+ have died. More first-time unemployment claims than any other time in American history. And, on top of this disaster of a presidency, we have a president who is actively trying to stoke a race war because he thinks it's good for his re-election chances and good for his personal corporate wealth. Promoting far, radical conspiracy theories about anti-vaccinations, about "thugs" stealing airplanes and coming to the suburbs, about how he's the only hope for white suburban women.

On the other side, Joe Biden is not some perfect presidential candidate, but the reason he won the most votes in the Democratic primary is because he has a decades-long record of being competent, and in this time -- vigilante murders targeting black people on the street, police murdering civilians without consequence, a raging pandemic where in the United States is by far the worst country in the world, antagonistic leaders putting bounties on our soldiers without consequence -- simple, reliable, empathetic competency is not just a "lesser of two evils."

People played this game 4 years ago with Clinton and Trump. Among people who aren't that tapped into politics, or who "Want to keep politics out of sports" or "Want to keep politics out of videogames," they're very eager to equivocate between both sides. "Sure, Trump bragged about sexually assaulting women and called Latinos rapists and murders, but look at all the Clinton scandals -- her emails, Benghazi, Seth Rich..." And someone will challenge that and say, sorry, elaborate on that, and then the moral equivocator will back off, "lol all I'm saying is they're both trash and I want something better." Okay, well this is the result of you wanting something better and yet perpetually arguing against the better choice as "the lesser of two evils." A collapsing state, a wanna-be demagogue dictator, a party without a platform that has no vision for America other than death and destruction. This isn't a choice between "The lesser of two evils," it's a choice between an imperfect but capable candidate, and a death cult.

Imagine living through the last 3 and a half years in America and still being proud to promote such an ignorant, uninformed, embarrassing equivocation.
This post should be pinned to every single political discussion here. Biden isn't a perfect candidate but he was chosen for a reason. He will simply get shit done in a time where we really need it. Kamala will also get shit done. Fuck all the ignorance in this thread.

Here's another thing for everyone who wants to push the "lesser of two evils" or "the US will absolutely make the same mistake again" shit: Nobody thinks any higher of you for being cynical. Either push Biden and Kamala to be better in a constructive way (as in not posting cop memes, dementia nonsense, or Tara Reade bullshit) or don't fucking post.

As for the actual topic at hand, it's a harmless way to build interest. It's not going to be in your island so all the "no politics in muh games" people can fuck off. You actually won't see it in Animal Crossing again once you leave this thread unless you actively seek it out.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm ok, the first one is definitely out of context then. That was Biden's response to what was happening in Kenosha. Im pretty sure its been explained on here time and again how Looting is not violence, its property damage. To equate the two is wrong, and for Biden to use that right-wing talking point after so much violence has been done to human bodies in the name of property, its pretty fucking anti progressive if you ask me.

Whether you consider "violence" to include looting is pure semantics, which by the dictionary definition includes destruction of items. What he's trying to do is not lose the moderate vote in the midwest which is key to keeping Trump out of the white house. Besides that, he wasn't equating the killing and brutalizing of black folks to the same as looting. Anyone saying so is either being disingenuous to score out of context talking points or didn't listen to his actual speech.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Well I have a lot of personal distaste for this election in general but you were making more blanket statements about politics in games, and in one that is again literally about people representing themselves.
It's especially weird in a game that basically grew in popularity cause of Covid and frequently had people wearing their masks when visiting islands. Sure, it's escapist, but there was often an acknowledgement of the reality we are in.