• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly more in touch than Pokémon go to the polls. Doubt it'll be that effective but the news of it probably helps.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
But you can already tell the Biden-Harris supporting islands!

They're the ones that haven't been utterly stripmined for resources

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. Hell I'd consider starting to play Animal Crossing just to do it.

Until you know, Republicans starts doing it.

7AkbnuC.png

Republicans have been courting the far right through videogames for over a decade. Steve Bannon, Trump's former campaign advisor, was a critical piece in the early promotion of GamerGate and then courting those gamers via Breitbart, turning them into digital soldiers for the Trump Campaign.

Republicans have already been doing this, and doing it effectively. A message of inclusiveness -- particularly the Biden Pride sign -- fits in a game like Animal Crossing. It's also a space that Trump can't effectively market in because his message is a message of hate and division; he'll cry foul when "BUILD THE WALL" or "ALL LIVES MATTER" is blocked in these games because those are racist, hateful messages that are antithetical to the essence of a game like Animal Crossing. Democrats need to exploit that natural advantage that they have here, and being like "Eww gross we shouldn't harness our advantages" is a losing strategy.

I'm sure this will stoke a wave of "I don't want politics in my videogames!" opinions on other parts of the internet. Politics are already in your videogames, and what those arguments really mean is "I want right wing politics in my videogames ........ but not inclusiveness, fairness, or equality politics in my videogames."

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the sunglasses thing with Biden

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Yea....am I missing something that is wrong with this? Side eyeing some posts here....
Even though I'll be voting Democrat regardless Biden and Kamala aren't exactly the type of people who I feel great about openly supporting. I don't want signs for a rapist in my yard.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
The ones who don't want it is the ones who didn't vote but bitch about it, who are not even from the U.S. but somehow know all about U.S. politics , or voted for a certain someone who gets all pissy and use rose emojis in their handle because he endorsed Biden.

I'll never understand the sunglasses thing with Biden

aviators, he loves his aviators his whole life

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I don't see what the problem is.

With the people expressing their displeasure not elaborating, hard to know. But I'd assume there are some people that would be irritated by any political presence in games (such as Obama ads in Burnout) and I assume a smaller bunch that don't like Biden for various reasons.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
How do you do, fellow kids?

Damn I hate this

I don't get comments like this, because gamers like to swear up and down that "gaming isn't just for children!" (which is true) but then as soon as something like this happens, it's like "uh, why are they trying so hard to be hip with the kids?"

Zillions of adults played Animal Crossing this year. It cast an incredibly wide net. It's part of the culture, now. Gamers seem to want to have it both ways; they want gaming to be mainstream and "accepted" and then at the same time they want it to be like this cool insider thing and if any outsider tries to interact with it, it's "cringe."

If gaming is mainstream, stuff like this is going to happen.